Nigeria bans gay marriage, gay meetings -- Does so secretly

Don't agree with the law at all and I think its going to cause a lot of unnecessary harm to gays living there, but its their country and their rules at the end of the day.

Last edited:
There is a gay agenda, but I see it a little differently than Rico. The part about equal rights like marriage, tax benefits etc isn't an agenda to me. Its long overdue. The agenda part is the pushing of "gay" or feminine culture by the media. In other words, an emasculation of the regular dude. Calling it gay culture is probably the wrong choice of words, but its the closest thing I can relate it to. I see it mostly in popular culture, sports (waiting for the next gay athlete to come out), clothing etc

I used to despise gays for years, recently changed my view on the whole thing. I don't like the lifestyle per say, but that doesn't mean I don't think they deserve equality under the law. Hopefully I got my message across without coming off as bigoted.

I'm a Muslim if it matters
you didn't come off as a bigot.  a little misguided on some things but not bigoted at all.

i disagree on there being an agenda per say in a lot of the things you highlight.

people want to see who the first major pro athlete to come out as gay will be because it'd be a huge story. sports is a hyper masculine machismo dominated universe, and as such not something people consider gay men.  so if lebron came out of the closet it'd be a big deal because he'd be the first.  it's more about FIRSTS than it being just about gay.  remember when they tried to make Yao Ming the biggest thing in basketball because he was the first REALLY GOOD asian nba player.

as for fashion, there's no such thing as gay clothing
laugh.gif
  that's just a misconception.  it's stuff you're not familiar with, but no clothing is gay.  it can't have sex with other clothing.  and if it "looks gay" it's because in your particular cultural world men or people just dont dress like that.  i know what you're getting at -- skirts, shawls, anything you may find asap rocky donning -- but in other parts of the world there are men rocking similarly cut outfits, and they'd be the first to string you up from a tree or stone you to death if they saw you kissing another man.

it's not a gay agenda, it's just with acceptance there comes a period of firsts -- people breaking into particular fields and the requisite media frenzy that surrounds that.

if homosexuality had long been accepted as a natural occurrence in life, then no one would bat an eye lash at an nba star kissing his husband in the tunnel after a game.

it's when something is isolated and highlighted as strange and as a unique occurrence that it happening draws the attention you see.

i dont know much about nigerian culture, but im guessing this has something to do with christian/euro influence 

but i could be wrong so correct me if i am
pretty sure most Nigerians are Islamic (I could be wrong)

Serious question though, how do people even know when someone is gay? Thats the only thing I don't understand, I could just not be thinking deep enough because I don't care that much, but are they just targeting people who "look" gay? i.e.. dudes that don't talk with deep voices and women who don't dress feminine?

I`m like if I`m a gay dude in Nigeria or Russia, lol can't I just say no I`m not gay? How can they verify ?
You're wrong.  Nigeria is 50/50 Muslim and Christian.

And they don't know.  The way the law is written, it allows for suspicion to be enough for arrest.  And then police and militias beat and torture people into naming other "gays."

What you end up with is the outing of homosexuals and also a witch hunt and arresting of non-gays who are "suspected of association."

This law is terrible.

There is a gay agenda, but I see it a little differently than Rico. The part about equal rights like marriage, tax benefits etc isn't an agenda to me. Its long overdue. The agenda part is the pushing of "gay" or feminine culture by the media. In other words, an emasculation of the regular dude. Calling it gay culture is probably the wrong choice of words, but its the closest thing I can relate it to. I see it mostly in popular culture, sports (waiting for the next gay athlete to come out), clothing etc

I used to despise gays for years, recently changed my view on the whole thing. I don't like the lifestyle per say, but that doesn't mean I don't think they deserve equality under the law. Hopefully I got my message across without coming off as bigoted.

you didn't come off as a bigot.  a little misguided on some things but not bigoted at all.

i disagree on there being an agenda per say in a lot of the things you highlight.

people want to see who the first major pro athlete to come out as gay will be because it'd be a huge story. sports is a hyper masculine machismo dominated universe, and as such not something people consider gay men.  so if lebron came out of the closet it'd be a big deal because he'd be the first.  it's more about FIRSTS than it being just about gay.  remember when they tried to make Yao Ming the biggest thing in basketball because he was the first REALLY GOOD asian nba player.

as for fashion, there's no such thing as gay clothing :lol:   that's just a misconception.  it's stuff you're not familiar with, but no clothing is gay.  it can't have sex with other clothing.  and if it "looks gay" it's because in your particular cultural world men or people just dont dress like that.  i know what you're getting at -- skirts, shawls, anything you may find asap rocky donning -- but in other parts of the world there are men rocking similarly cut outfits, and they'd be the first to string you up from a tree or stone you to death if they saw you kissing another man.

it's not a gay agenda, it's just with acceptance there comes a period of firsts -- people breaking into particular fields and the requisite media frenzy that surrounds that.

if homosexuality had long been accepted as a natural occurrence in life, then no one would bat an eye lash at an nba star kissing his husband in the tunnel after a game.

it's when something is isolated and highlighted as strange and as a unique occurrence that it happening draws the attention you see.

Guess we will agree to disagree. Homosexuality is illegal in the country try I come from too (Sudan). Doesnt look like that's gonna change anytime soon

@Nako XL  

have you visited nigeria?

if so, what'd you like/dislike about your visit?
@iYen

I was born in Nigeria and been back several times.  I don't really know how I'd answer your question... it'd be just as hard for me to answer what I like about New York or California.

I guess I like the weather.  I have family and friends there.  The food's good. It's my native culture.

I hate the lack of infrastructure, low police presence outside the major cities, abundant government corruption...  Religious zealotry... Immense poverty amongst the majority of the country's population even though Nigeria's the 6th largest crude oil producing nation in the world.
Basically, familiy ties are what are bringing you back to Nigeria.

That's good that you're into where you came from. I'm also from Nigeria, but I'm too americanized to even want to visit Nigeria.

Especially since all these things about the country that I've learned over the years. 

It has made me more than grateful that my parents were able to get out of that seemingly hell hole. 

Lastly, do you have a postive or negative view of how Nigeria will be in the next 40+ years?

If so, why?

Wasn't there a documentary about this a few years ago on currentTV? You'll see who is really fueling this.

Nigeria will be more modern and westernized, slightly, but not much will change.  1% of the country's population controls all of its wealth, the other 99% lives in poverty, there's no middle class.  There's no real impetus to institute social change because the people with money do whatever they want anyway, like every third world country.  the government also wants to maintain the status quo because it lets them keep stealing money and seizing power.  one of the reasons boko haram (the al qaeda off shoot terrorizing the country right now) is even active is because the country elected its first non-muslim president and the radical muslim portion of the country went ape ****.  truth is, the organization is largely being funded by wealthy nigerian politicians and business men who look to profit from them unsettling things.

like every country nigeria's youth are more socially aware and (only slightly) more educated than the older generations so there's some hope, but things like this make the outlook kinda grim.

again, this law is all about misdirecting attention from real problems, catering to churches and mosques that have a lot of influence, and baiting people into voting for the current government under the guise of them looking out for the country's interests when the people dont even realize nothing's changed.

Last edited:
Basically, familiy ties are what are bringing you back to Nigeria.
That's good that you're into where you came from. I'm also from Nigeria, but I'm too americanized to even want to visit Nigeria.
Especially since all these things about the country that I've learned over the years. 
It has made me more than grateful that my parents were able to get out of that seemingly hell hole. 

Lastly, do you have a postive or negative view of how Nigeria will be in the next 40+ years?
If so, why?

iYen don't sleep bro Nigeria can be a beautiful place bro. I am the first generation American on fathers side and have actually thoroughly enjoyed my trips to Nigeria.

I'm actually gonna be there for six months starting next week, (doing youth service before going back to grad school, in case I decide to do some long term living in Nigeria, plus I wanted more international experience on my resume).

My situation is pretty different from the vast majority of the country so I won't act like Nigeria is the best place to live but believe me when I tell you there is still opportunities there that many would overlook.

Couldn't agree with you more Nako about this being a scapegoat/ misdirection for elected officials to use as a means to continue their corrupt practices.

Its sad cause I kinda like Goodluck as a president, but I already know how Nigeria is and anyone politically connected in even the slightest bit is usually pretty corrupt.

That happens here in america all the time, they are called "wedge" issues.

Abortion
Gay marriage
And so on

It does have to do with Euro/Christian influence.

American Evangelical churches are funding the legislation in most of these countries.  I posted an article specifically about the problem it caused in Uganda.  I'm guessing you didn't read through the thread.

But you are right about Islamic culture being just as hard on homosexuality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/w...=1&adxnnlx=1389729656-y8CAEgKjyzfA0cRGH2fUrw&

Hm, the American Evangelicals are trying to convert these homosexuals to religion and make them straight. The Islamists just want to kill or ban the homosexuals.

They're all crazy religious freaks to me. :lol:

One thing I like about Europe now tho, especially this generation - is the belief in God and religion is the lowest in the world.

hopefully this will make more Nigerians move here to the states. every Nigerian ive ever met has been honest, well spoken and hardworking. we need more of that here.

As someone who grew up in Africa, they feel like black Americans squander the opportunities they have being born in the US and are lazy. Moving here at 12 I realized things aren't so simple.

I know their reasons and frankly I don't care. If you hate my people due to some preconcieved notions then I don't **** witcha. Simple as that.

Enlighten those of us who may not know.... what is this agenda you speak of ?

I really didn't want to wade into this discussion but you guys feigning ignorance for whatever reason has lured me in. The gay agenda is simple, they want the same rights as heterosexual couples i.e. marriage, tax, death benefits etc. They want the word gay to not be used as a synonym for something stupid, or unappealing, and they just want to be an accepted demographic like others in the country. An the gay lobby has done a great job of pushing this agenda over the last couple years.

I don't, please explain ?

Turn your tv on...see that Rapper wearing leggings and mini skirts? See that no name basketball player being congratulated for coming out of the closet? You think it's not money to be made off the gay culture? It's being PROMOTED and that's my only problem with the "gay agenda"

I'm just catching up but even though the use of "gay agenda" is WAY less important or offensive than the actual subject of the thread, what The 7th Mile posted is exactly why people reacted to it. Even if Rico x Hood didn't intend it that way (I think he's backtracking but I'll try to take his word for it) it's a general belief that homosexuals are trying to infiltrate "straight culture" and slowly takeover, forcing us all into gay sexing that is typically viewed when people use agenda in that sense.

Once again, I'll post what I always post in these types of discussions because The 7th Mile already proved my point...the problem most males have which cause them to object to equality for gays isn't with homosexuality as a whole but with gay men. Were it just lesbians fighting for equal rights, I'm sure the outrage would be less severe among these cowards. There's nothing unnatural about two women going down on each other but when it's a man bending over another man it's something they should be condemned for, ignoring that ******g a female in the *** is perfectly okay.

This guy proved my point as well, even though he's "changed his view". :rolleyes

Last edited:
How do people feel to learn that a lot of these countries' anti-gay laws are being drawn up and funded by American Christian Evangelical leaders?

It becomes less of a "stop pushing your liberal Western ideals on them" and "Stop trying to influence their culture and let them think for themselves" argument when you realize all of this stuff is being pushed by American conservative ideas, right?

One such example:

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/uganda/index.html?inline=nyt-geo[/URL]"]
[/quote]

Christian agenda?
Lol when there isn't a finger to point at, blame the Muslims

Classic

Since you didn't quote anything, I missed where this happened unless you just reacted to the mention of Muslims. If anything, Christianity was primarily cited for its influence with Islam also playing a part.

Last edited:
Nigeria will be more modern and westernized, slightly, but not much will change.  1% of the country's population controls all of its wealth, the other 99% lives in poverty, there's no middle class.  There's no real impetus to institute social change because the people with money do whatever they want anyway, like every third world country.  the government also wants to maintain the status quo because it lets them keep stealing money and seizing power.  one of the reasons boko haram (the al qaeda off shoot terrorizing the country right now) is even active is because the country elected its first non-muslim president and the radical muslim portion of the country went ape ****.  truth is, the organization is largely being funded by wealthy nigerian politicians and business men who look to profit from them unsettling things.

like every country nigeria's youth are more socially aware and (only slightly) more educated than the older generations so there's some hope, but things like this make the outlook kinda grim.

again, this law is all about misdirecting attention from real problems, catering to churches and mosques that have a lot of influence, and baiting people into voting for the current government under the guise of them looking out for the country's interests when the people dont even realize nothing's changed.

So much truth,

I was there for christmas.

Ya'll talk about 1% in america, its basically your either royal blood or you're a slave.

and im sorry im nigerian, and I hear people talk of hope for africa, and the future of africa, this is the BEST of africa, I don't see a way out, I just see an endless cycle of perpetual poverty.

Last edited:
Probly sounds selfish but i only really worry bout the country where my fam is from (Ghana), and its pretty chills there :pimp: ...Nigerian chicks freaky and got that mass tho :pimp:

map from the washington post which came out in december (after india criminalized homosexual activity). pretty eye-opening:

View media item 747958
not sure it reflects all 18 american states that have legalized gay marriage either.

Back
Top Bottom