Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

Even if they retro the Mars campaign shirts, it won't be the same. I miss the Nike cotton shirts they used to make. I hate that they went away from it, it's booty. I still have my grey and white Do you Know? shirts from 2003 when the III retro released that year. 

Is their a jb vintage clothing thread? Woukd love 2 see some older designs
No, start one 
laugh.gif

Heres a pic of a red shirt I found online. Ill take some pics of the black Tee I found tonight.

View media item 2301425

Just in looking at it, and also having the knowledge of being pretty familiar with the official Nike apparel line as a young teen in 89 and 90, I don't think this red shirt in the picture is legit.

For one, the majority of t-shirts and sweatshirts that I've seen from the late 80s-early 90s that are known to be absolutely legit have the Nike grey tag:

View media item 2301469
I just went to my "good" closet where I checked 7 shirts from 1989 and 1990 that I have hanging up together in a line, and every single one had the grey tag.

That's not to say ALL legit shirts had it, because there are always exceptions. Many people cut out the tags back then. And then I've also seen a few pop up here and there that were 100% legit designs but on Fruit of the Loom brand shirts. It's possible that Nike could have occasionally used shirt stock from other companies from time to time back then. For what reason, I don't know. But it's possible.

But the other big problem with this shirt is the total absence of any Nike branding. Back then, there was no Brand Jordan entity. The Swoosh and the Jumpman were basically inseparable on all Jordan apparel. Even if there wasn't a Swoosh in the design, which in pretty much every case there was, the shirt itself would have almost certainly been branded in some way as a Nike shirt. Nike always wanted respeck on their name. LOL.

Based on the trademark on the shirt, it's definitely from 1990. But as far as I know there was no line called "Flight 23" put out by Nike. I do know that for basketball shoes in 89-90, Nike had a Flight line and a Force line, which many of their catalogs outlined. But not "Flight 23." The AJ IV and AJ V (and I believe maybe even the AJ VI) were considered part of the Flight line, but I think that changed around or after the VI in 1991 and the Air Jordan began to be considered "its own thing" at that point. Rarely acknowledged fact - THAT'S the true genesis of Brand Jordan, even if they didn't officially incorporate it until 1997. Between the VI and VII, that's when they decided to see what it would be like to see a Jordan shoe stand on its own without a Swoosh, and lo and behold the VII came along with no Swoosh. But I digress.

Yet another thing to consider is that back then, it was easier to get away with making and distributing knock offs. It probably wouldn't have been as difficult to print your own shirts and designs and maybe get them into a local mom and pop. Or hock them outside Chicago Stadium on game nights. I STILL see a dozen counterfeiters do that crap at any given Raiders game.

Anyway, in my opinion based off of what I know from being around and aware back then, this is a knock off shirt. But if anyone else knows something different, by all means enlighten us.

Last edited:
still need my size 13 :nerd:

I tried to double up on a size 13 after the initial release.
Ordered from a Finishline restock and the order was cancelled.
It was annoying because they were also available at the time from Shoe Palace.
Finishline took almost 3 weeks to refund my paypal and when I tried finding them again there were no sz 13's to be found.

Last edited:
I also got some questions about the "Flight 23" line released circa 1990. Got some old shirts and wondering if it was a bootleg line or they were sanctioned to use the Jumpman and MJs likeness?

Do you have pics?

Heres a pic of a red shirt I found online. Ill take some pics of the black Tee I found tonight.

View media item 2301425

Yup completely bootleg.

There was a LOT of these MJ tees back in the day, we even saw them in sporting good stores and Walmart-type stores. My mom bought me a few, and no one was any wiser :lol:

The simple rule of thumb for authenticity is to look for the Nike logo on the tee itself. All Nike Jordan tees had easy-to-see Nike branding.

The other real non-Nike tees for Mike would be either companies he did work for (Wilson, etc) or official NBA tees such as the Salem cartoon ones

View media item 2309346

Wearing my pair as I type this.

Overall, I think these are well made. I still have the squeaking issue when I wear these around but the style, construction, and that classic Nike Air back counter is what makes these worth the wear. Comfort is alright I guess, not like it's obviously gonna be an Ultraboost, NMD, or even a zoom model Jordan retro, but it's decent.

I bought 2 pairs of these with one as my semi regular and the other will be in the box ds for a good while before I break em out, if I break em out, but doubling on these was a must. This is the first Air Jordan shoe I ever took real notice of when I spotted MJ wearing his OG pair on that Michael Jordan's Playground VHS back cover.

and lastly, compared to the 2007's which I bought 2 pairs of as well, these 2016's are a lot more padded and the insole feels a bit plusher. But these old school retros aren't going to win any blue ribbons for cushioning, but aesthetically, these black metallic 5's are an all time great.

I dig those cartoon caricature shirts though, especially those championship team photo joints back in the day. I still try to find them on EBay every once and a while.

Last edited:
I would check periodically. Some members have checked early and later in the day they were able to unlock on past shoe reservations.

Last edited:
I always wonder why the 2011 version had a Varsity Red Jumpman on the sole while the 1990, 2000, 2007 had a Black Jumpman.

I always wonder why the 2011 version had a Varsity Red Jumpman on the sole while the 1990, 2000, 2007 had a Black Jumpman.

Because everything about the 2011 version was wrong. That was more of a retro+ than a retro of the OG. Long hair nubuck, weak 3m, and red jumpman on the sole

Back
Top Bottom