Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

I still remember the Summer of '90 vividly. Rocking these Metallic 5s and hooping outside while the parked Jeeps, Suzuki Samurais, and the Acura Legends would be blasting Big DaddyKane out the trunk.  It still takes me back to that Summer every time I throw these on. Damn I miss the '90s. 

I remember listening to this one too all during that summer...

View media item 2482240

...my 1st CD that I ever purchased was 1990's Ice Cube 'AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted' - and I still have that copy :nthat:

Last edited:

My dad brought me to a local sporting goods store, and there they were. But not in my size, we went to a few other stores, same thing. Last store we went to didn't have them, but wait, they had them the Wht/Blk-Fr Red in my dad's size 12 AND they were on sale. Yay for him. 
tired.gif

Dad was stylin' tho
laugh.gif

i missed out on the og 4...long story
mean.gif

i had the 3, 5, 6 & 8 ogs

i will say again that imo - the 6 was a step down from the 5 in terms of progression and the 7 wasn't even close
thats why the aj line peaked with the 5 in my humble opinion...i think we (the aj5 fans) have discussed this in here before...
Yes he was, and his Vs would haunt me. I even got him a pair of the '00s, which he still has in NDS condition. 

My first pair of AJs were the Fire Red 3s, but I asked my parents to take them back because they were too big, but secretly I thought they were gaudy, the giant NIKE AIR, too much red, it was too much, I ended up with a pair of Air Trainers.  Had the aforementioned 4s and went from those right to the Black Infrared 6s, it ALMOST made up for the 5s, but not quite. 

missing out on those og 4's played a major part in me getting into retros after taking some good time off in the 90s from caring much about sneakers...

a blessing & a curse :lol: :\

Last edited:
I'm loving the discussion going on, and especially loving reading all your guys' stories and reminiscing with you all. It reminds me of how fun and novel it was when we were first able to share sneaker stories with other sneakerheads around the world in the young days of the Internet. Back in the days of places like Sneaker Nation, yo! LOL. Then it was more about the purity of the passion, rather than how many new pairs you could cop every weekend. I'll never get tired of hearing these stories.

Last edited:
I'm loving the discussion going on, and especially loving reading all your guys' stories and reminiscing with you all. It reminds me of how fun and novel it was when we were first able to share sneaker stories with other sneakerheads around the world in the young days of the Internet. Back in the days of places like Sneaker Nation, yo! LOL. Then it was more about the purity of the passion, rather than how many new pairs you could cop every weekend. I'll never get tired of hearing these stories.
. Neither do I because no matter what specific j you wanted, the story is yours only. I love reading.

my 1st CD that I ever purchased was 1990's Ice Cube 'AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted' - and I still have that copy :nthat:

[emoji]127926[/emoji] Once upon a time in the projects, yo... [emoji]127926[/emoji]

My first physical CD that I bought was The Chronic, 3 summers later, followed shortly thereafter by The Predator.

Last edited:
i will say again that imo - the 6 was a step down from the 5 in terms of progression and the 7 wasn't even close
thats why the aj line peaked with the 5 in my humble opinion

In this era that we're talking about, the late 80's/early 90's, the AJ III-AJ V was definitely the sweet spot of the whole Jordan line. But it wasn't just Jordans, practically everything Nike put out was fire, from the apparel to the Trainers, to the ATC's, to the Force V's and Air Bounds, to the Flights and Solo Flights, and so much in between. That's why I call it Nike's Golden Age, because it was like everything they touched turned to gold.

And I agree about the line after the V. I love the VI, VII, and VIII, don't get me wrong, but you could tell that was where the line started to depart. And the line has had high spots since, the XI-XIII, the XXIII, the XXX, but IMO none measure up to the time of the III-V.

Last edited:
In this era that we're talking about, the late 80's/early 90's, the AJ III-AJ V was definitely the sweet spot of the whole Jordan line. But it wasn't just Jordans, practically everything Nike put out was fire, from the apparel to the Trainers, to the ATC's, to the Force V's and Air Bounds, to the Flights and Solo Flights, and so much in between. That's why I call it Nike's Golden Age, because it was like everything they touched turned to gold.

And I agree about the line after the V. I love the VI, VII, and VIII, don't get me wrong, but you could tell that was where the line started to depart. And the line has had high spots since, the XI-XIII, the XXIII, the XXX, but IMO none measure up to the time of the III-V.

It's so weird how the AJ 2 was more or less a bust. It was rumored that MJ even was considering leaving Nike over this but Tinker designed the AJ 3 and the rest is history.

It's so weird how the AJ 2 was more or less a bust. It was rumored that MJ even was considering leaving Nike over this but Tinker designed the AJ 3 and the rest is history.
It's true, he hated the 2 and was gonna leave to adidas

They tried to go luxury with the 2. Didn't work. They went for function & style for the 3 tho! :nthat: It worked.

Last edited:
It's so weird how the AJ 2 was more or less a bust.

I think one big thing that hurt the II was no original black and red colorway. What was the most memorable I? The one closest associated with MJ's Bulls colors. The price hike also didn't help the II, nor did the fact that MJ had just come off a season where he spent most of it on the shelf. The II was a weird microcosm of things that were just "off," I think, but Tinker got it back on track with the III. And nearly 30 years later, we finally did get a black and red colorway for the Deuces. Better late than never, I guess.

I actually really do like the Alt II from last year; it's a highly underrated colorway IMO. I just have never gotten a pair because of so much other heat that dropped between then and now. One of these days, though, I'm gonna log on to GOAT and bite the bullet.

View media item 2482401

Last edited:
Now that I recall, I remember my mom got me a Nike shirt suit that I wore with my Metallic 5s too lol. I believe it was a black Nike shirt with neon green Nike shorts. I thought i was the dopest kid on the block rocking that outfit lmao

I think one big thing that hurt the II was no original black and red colorway. What was the most memorable I? The one closest associated with MJ's Bulls colors. The price hike also didn't help the II, nor did the fact that MJ had just come off a season where he spent most of it on the shelf. The II was a weird microcosm of things that were just "off," I think, but Tinker got it back on track with the III. And nearly 30 years later, we finally did get a black and red colorway for the Deuces. Better late than never, I guess.

I actually really do like the Alt II from last year; it's a highly underrated colorway IMO. I just have never gotten a pair because of so much other heat that dropped between then and now. One of these days, though, I'm gonna log on to GOAT and bite the bullet.

View media item 2482401

I agree 100%.

Nike, probably never a black and red colorway, because it wasn't going to be rocked by MJ. Since at the time, the Bulls only rocked white shoes. Plus, the weird NBA rules at the time.

Me personally, I've never really been a fan of the II. When I first seen them, back in the mid 90's, they looked like Fila's to me. This was because of the red wings design, on the heels.

Nowadays, outside of the OG White/Black & White/Red's, this is the only colorway of the 2's that I've ever liked.

View media item 2483615

Last edited:
I am about to buy my first pair of Vs do they fit like 4s? Or should i go .5 size down?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom