Nike Air Zoom Kobe V Review - The Greatest Basketball Shoe of ALL TIME

i will probably buy a pair of DK ZKV but before that I am wonderin about durability of these shoes? And when I saw these pics of DK ZKV's outsole couple pages back my feelings got even worse....
grin.gif
So what about that? are ZKV's appropriate to ball in them the whole season (about 2-3 times per week)?

Ive worn the Kobe 5s now about 15 times and I have to say the Kobe 4s are better!! I have both, Ive got 4 pairs of 4s, an 1 pair of 5s. The 4s are way more comfortable, and they lock your foot down alot better. I found my foot slides on the hardest of cuts. I dont have skinny feet, My feet fill out shoes well. The traction on the 4s is better for sure. The 4s take a couple wearing for the traction to be at its best. The 5s have good traction, but on the harshest of cuts my feet slide out everytime, it suck!!!!. the only things that she 5s have on the 4s is that they are lighter and lower. I like the Low cut, an I love the weight, but the 4s are the best shoe I have ever worn. I wish the 4s cushioning would last longer, cause its the most amazing shoe I have ever worn.

The ZK IV and V are night and day to me. The V is FAR better IMO, but to each his own. The traction on the V is BETTER than the IV for me as well regardless of what people have said about traction issues.

Playing in the IV the other day just felt a lot more stiff and didn't fit to my foot like the V does.

Originally Posted by PR baller 23

Ive worn the Kobe 5s now about 15 times and I have to say the Kobe 4s are better!! I have both, Ive got 4 pairs of 4s, an 1 pair of 5s. The 4s are way more comfortable, and they lock your foot down alot better. I found my foot slides on the hardest of cuts. I dont have skinny feet, My feet fill out shoes well. The traction on the 4s is better for sure. The 4s take a couple wearing for the traction to be at its best. The 5s have good traction, but on the harshest of cuts my feet slide out everytime, it suck!!!!. the only things that she 5s have on the 4s is that they are lighter and lower. I like the Low cut, an I love the weight, but the 4s are the best shoe I have ever worn. I wish the 4s cushioning would last longer, cause its the most amazing shoe I have ever worn.
Although I do agree about the traction (I would have preferred herringbone myself) I have to disagree on everything else.  The lockdown is better on the V especially because of that achilles pad that keeps your foot in the heel cup.  I also think the stability feel of the shoe is better.  The base is wider on the V than the IV so I like the cutting stability much better.  Eh to each his own

when i was 18 i wore a size 16 now at 24 i wear i 15, and sometimes squeeze into 14's when im desperate. maybe feet do shrink.

finally balled in my ASG Kobe V's and i am really impressed. I usually ball in Kobe 2s and BB1s and to me they were a step above the two i mentioned. To me they just seemed so much lighter and i do like the low top cut which i was pretty much scared of due to me being prone to spraining my ankle. I lace them to the top and i felt my foot was pretty secure while i was playing. Definitely one of the better shoes i have ever played in.

Another believer.

I still think a ton of people are missing out on these because they're scared to ball in a lowtop.

i hope everyone sleeps on kobe v  i can get more on the cheap. play twice a week in choas and they are holding up great

First time playing in these shoes last week. I honestly sprained my foot really bad, I needed crutches for about 3-5 days. I was drivin and I accidently stepped on a defenders foot. Its very common to step on some1's foot during a game. I loved the shoe when I started playing, they were really light and had good traction. I'm probably gonna play in them again. I just hope I don't step on any1's foot, i'll prob stay outside and shoot.

Any1 else sprain their foot?

Anyway's I just bought some Eggplant Foam 1's, i'm gonna try those after my foot heals.

^^^^to Crazy EBW....i did broke my foot in november and took a medical redshirt cuz i had a boot on my foot for two months. I went from 207 to 188 :/ pretty much all muscle loss ha. my body fat was at about 7-8% as it was so. HOWEVER, i have had the boot off for 3 months now. and even tho i had the boot on i took it off at night and to do my rehab stuff, so that should not have been the issue. this had left me very puzzled ha

in addition to my previous statement, last year (2008-09) we had to play in the Blue Chips and i almost thought i was going to have to go up to a 13.5. So again, i am at a loss as far as my sizing goes for shoes now ha. I've worn a size 13 since 9th grade and am now a soph in college. Again, I am so very confused as to what is going on haha

Originally Posted by chaose57

are these durable?
ohwell.gif
Super durable. But I heard that some peoples' Kobe V's have chipped on the sole. I've never balled in the Kobe V myself, but I have danced, partied, ran, and even worked in them and they still look great.

Originally Posted by gimpystevie87

are these durable?
ohwell.gif
Super durable. But I heard that some peoples' Kobe V's have chipped on the sole. I've never balled in the Kobe V myself, but I have danced, partied, ran, and even worked in them and they still look great.
do you have a KBIV?which is more durable?

Originally Posted by gimpystevie87

are these durable?
ohwell.gif
do you have a KBIV?which is more durable?

you can't even make that comparison yet... the shoes have been out for a few months.

Just got home from logging a few more hours in with the ZK5's. Probably the best shoe I've worn. No problems with traction but I play on super clean courts. I wonder how they do on dusty courts. I'd prefer the tried and true herringbone for assurance on all surfaces.

Also, the big open mesh tongue is nice, but my socks don't lie... ventilation could be improved. This could apply to all Nike Basketball's flywire-based shoes.

I kind of question where the strength of the upper comes from. If it really is all the flywire, why not use more mesh on the upper like the running models instead of the laminate? I know the earlier prototypes for flywire use Vectran thread, but now they use Nylon cause its most likely cheaper and can be dyed different colors for aesthetics. Type 6/6 Nylon's Ultimate Tensile Strength (75 MPa) is only 2.6% of Vectran (2,850 MPa). This could be one reason why we don't see any mesh uppers like Nike Running.

I have not played in these yet and I am not passing judgement, but my roomate does have them. I really like how they feel when trying them on and I understand the cut of a shoe has very little to do with rolling your ankle. But my concern with the kobe's is the thinness of the sides. They just feel so minimal it feels like my foot would just rip right through the side on a hard cut.  
Im just looking to see how you guys feel about the minimal material used on the shoe. I really cant get over how thin it feels. But im sure nike didnt design a sig shoe that people are just going to rip right through. 

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I can't imagine how the VI can IMPROVE from the V...

nike could use legitimate forefoot cushion. the zoom air in the front of this shoe is the size of a nickel.

Originally Posted by joel2812

I have not played in these yet and I am not passing judgement, but my roomate does have them. I really like how they feel when trying them on and I understand the cut of a shoe has very little to do with rolling your ankle. But my concern with the kobe's is the thinness of the sides. They just feel so minimal it feels like my foot would just rip right through the side on a hard cut.  
Im just looking to see how you guys feel about the minimal material used on the shoe. I really cant get over how thin it feels. But im sure nike didnt design a sig shoe that people are just going to rip right through. 

The upper is a monster. It's amazingly strong.

Originally Posted by mt3130

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I can't imagine how the VI can IMPROVE from the V...

nike could use legitimate forefoot cushion. the zoom air in the front of this shoe is the size of a nickel.
It's small for a reason.  Kobe wanted it that way because he feels he loses split seconds or something if it's too cushioned under the ball of the foot.

Kobe VI improvements could include switch back to herringbone (I know they said the heartbeat is a type of expanded herringbone, but I don't buy it. the treads seem a bit... wiggly?) and perhaps just a bit of improvement on the quality of construction. I'd love to see a convergence of the Jordan 2010 and ZKV technologies, not sure if a low would require things like the asymmetrical sides of the 2010 for fitment, though.

Back
Top Bottom