NIKE KOBE VI PROTRO - 2021

I really really hate nike as a company.

It should say something to sneakerheads worldwide that Nike would rather end a relationship with the Kobe Bryant est., rather than make his products more available.

Seems like a lifetime deal would have been fair and just the right thing to do in this case.

If Adidas does swoop in, y’all buying them?
Nope. I didn't buy them then or since, and I wouldn't if it happened now. I definitely realize that while I'm sitting here pissed at Nike, I'm also a Nike guy when it comes to this stuff.
That said, who knows what is really going on. Maybe Vanessa--like someone mentioned--is delusional in what she's asking for.
It really doesn't matter right now who's to "blame." As a fan and a lover of shoes, it just sucks.
The Nike/Kobe partnership produced some of the dopest shoes of all time. I don't love them all, and I'm glad I was able to enjoy the ride as it happened, and that they "protroed" the Final Seconds 1s, the Chaos V (by far my favorite Kobe, and I bought four pairs), and the IVs (though I didn't buy) and the Grinches. Along with my OG 9s and 11s, I think I have 14 mint pairs of Nike Kobes.
There aren't a lot of pairs of Nike Kobes I don't have and feel like I desperately need, so that's the good news. The bad news is, right now it looks like we'll never be able to reload as the shoes we have now age and become unwearable. That's years away, but it goes by quickly.
This really is just ... sad. I'd obviously trade all my stupid sneakers to bring KB back, and they are just shoes. But it's such a fun and enjoyable way to remember him, and fun as a sneaker fan in general. I'm legit bummed it's over, especially because it feels like it's a development that shouldn't have gone this way.

Last edited:
We can see the 6s cooled off a lot once they ramped up production numbers.
There's no evidence that production numbers changed between the grinch release and the all star release. Nike NEVER releases production numbers on non numbered sneakers (I.e. 1 of xxxx)

The grinch has always been exponentially more popular than the all star. So, if the line "cooled off" it would be because of difference in popularity from one colorway to another.

There's no evidence that production numbers changed between the grinch release and the all star release. Nike NEVER releases production numbers on non numbered sneakers (I.e. 1 of xxxx)

The grinch has always been exponentially more popular than the all star. So, if the line "cooled off" it would be because of difference in popularity from one colorway to another.
Theres no actual evidence but it can be seen in the resell market, well at least for me. There wasnt any stunt of massive presale hype by resellers. On release day, there wasnt a large amount of resell listings. Once orders came in also wasnt a huge uptick as well and yes this is all comparing to the grinches. The heck FL had a reservation process for the grinches..... all stars didnt... they didnt even release them on said release date( did a quiet release without shedding any info to the masses) So that's my take on the production numbers. I feel they had the least of any of the rereleased models dating back to last year's releases.

I read all comments from all active Kobe threads and I have to say that in my opinion Vanessa is to be blamed as well.

She wrote on Instagram that she would look out for all Kobe fans, everybody would enjoy his shoes, but that apparently has not happened. She has a better bargaining position in comparison to Nike. Of course it is sad to hear that fans sent her DMs on Instagram, etc. voicing their displeasure, I was not one of them and would never do that, but at the same time, Kobe, his children and Vanessa are bigger than any disrespectful DMs on Social Media. If you get intimidated by messages then I am not sure where that Mamba Mentality is., that she wants to be continued. Kobe never cared for any negative comments. If you think about loosing before the game starts, you have already lost, just to quote the legend.

Vanessa and her family probably never have to worry again in life financially, so why not go ahead and negotiate a deal that is also for the fans? When you put out a promise, stand by it and not back of it, because of DMs, that is not the Mamba Mentality.

As others have stated as well Nike and the production numbers they did were way to low. Grinches they should have done 500K for example.

Sad to see that there will be no Protro 8s, would have loved to see and most importantly feel them on court.

With regards to releasing Kobe's without his logo, signature etc.: it would be a damn shame for sure. Kobe and Nike are so deeply connected, honestly I think the majority here does not care for his Adidas series/ signature kicks, they were not groundbreaking and design wise so amazing and just simply great performance shoes!

I will try to get my hands on the upcoming VIs that I prefer, hopefully for retail.

I read all comments from all active Kobe threads and I have to say that in my opinion Vanessa is to be blamed as well.

She wrote on Instagram that she would look out for all Kobe fans, everybody would enjoy his shoes, but that apparently has not happened. She has a better bargaining position in comparison to Nike. Of course it is sad to hear that fans sent her DMs on Instagram, etc. voicing their displeasure, I was not one of them and would never do that, but at the same time, Kobe, his children and Vanessa are bigger than any disrespectful DMs on Social Media. If you get intimidated by messages then I am not sure where that Mamba Mentality is., that she wants to be continued. Kobe never cared for any negative comments. If you think about loosing before the game starts, you have already lost, just to quote the legend.

Vanessa and her family probably never have to worry again in life financially, so why not go ahead and negotiate a deal that is also for the fans? When you put out a promise, stand by it and not back of it, because of DMs, that is not the Mamba Mentality.

As others have stated as well Nike and the production numbers they did were way to low. Grinches they should have done 500K for example.

Sad to see that there will be no Protro 8s, would have loved to see and most importantly feel them on court.

With regards to releasing Kobe's without his logo, signature etc.: it would be a damn shame for sure. Kobe and Nike are so deeply connected, honestly I think the majority here does not care for his Adidas series/ signature kicks, they were not groundbreaking and design wise so amazing and just simply great performance shoes!

I will try to get my hands on the upcoming VIs that I prefer, hopefully for retail.
I mean she did egg on that undfted rereleased. So that was something. And she said she was tryna look out for folks locally, which she did with the in person pickups and also for anyone else through their website.

As far as the comments... it's easier said she should have the mamba mentality but truth is she may not have in regards to that. I myself started tagging her and nike when they sent out the free grinches pairs to folks. I was living in the moment.... I prob shouldnt have but I said why not give it a try. For now hopefully they at least release the rest of this years remaining 6s models.

Kobe’s deal should be the biggest bc it will the biggest seller. Simple as that. I’m not understanding what people expect Vanessa to do. If she went to Adidas those Kobe’s will fly off the shelves just as fast as the nikes and y’all know it. They could easily flip colorways and materials….oh AND Jerry Lorenzo over there? Now that I think about it I would rather see the adidas Kobe line bc Adidas gonna mass produce them.

Kobe’s selling out & our very coveted .. why wouldn’t she ask for that ??

The article says they were frustrated with Nike during Kobe’s retirement and through last January when he passed...Means they were already having issues with Nike before he died...

And looking at it in that context, before he passed away, his product was absolutely not selling out...Not even close...Legit possibility Nike was just as willing to move away from Kobe as Kobe was at moving away from Nike...Prior to him passing away that is...

The only reason this line became popular, is because he died. The line was never reliable at the register, and Kobe’s popularity overseas did not prove to move the shoe sales needle in the states where it was most needed. Now nike faces a moral dilemma. Do you take advantage of Kobe’s popularity due to his death? Or do you recognize that not all money is good money, sending a message to your endorsers that you are going to back away, then not pimp them out after they die? Vanessa is right in this situation if she wishes to honor her late daughter and husband.

The only reason this line became popular, is because he died. The line was never reliable at the register, and Kobe’s popularity overseas did not prove to move the shoe sales needle in the states where it was most needed. Now nike faces a moral dilemma. Do you take advantage of Kobe’s popularity due to his death? Or do you recognize that not all money is good money, sending a message to your endorsers that you are going to back away, then not pimp them out after they die? Vanessa is right in this situation if she wishes to honor her late daughter and husband.

The 8s and 9s were popular and sold well

28EEB451-6A0A-4C93-92A9-E0519F9A3593.gif

jw, would you want to buy a shoe that kobe didn't play in?
me? no

no offense but if Kobe didn't wear the model

Vanessa isn’t to blame

end of the day it comes to money, she can say she cares about the fans but she has no say in what Nike does and how much they produce :lol: she can agree to a BS deal for very little money, all that does is line Nikes pockets with more money

Nike is to blame, Kobe line blows away all others past and present IMO not because I’m a Kobe fan but I haven’t seen anything good come from Nikes basketball line since the OG Kobe IV dropped

I really really hate nike as a company.

It should say something to sneakerheads worldwide that Nike would rather end a relationship with the Kobe Bryant est., rather than make his products more available.

Seems like a lifetime deal would have been fair and just the right thing to do in this case.

Nike is a billion dollar company , that's had this thing figured out for decades.

I don't think they should mass produce Kobes. It just doesn't make sense from a long term standpoint.

We don't like to admit it, but we want what we can't have.

Name the last LeBron shoe you "had to have"
Name the last Kyrie, KD, PG you had to have

We don't want them cause they're too easy to get

Let Nike come out and say that they'll only release 2000 LeBrons over his next few releases!!! Hype train !!

I don't blame Nike. It's just wack

Nike is a billion dollar company , that's had this thing figured out for decades.

I don't think they should mass produce Kobes. It just doesn't make sense from a long term standpoint.

We don't like to admit it, but we want what we can't have.

Name the last LeBron shoe you "had to have"
Name the last Kyrie, KD, PG you had to have

We don't want them cause they're too easy to get

Let Nike come out and say that they'll only release 2000 LeBrons over his next few releases!!! Hype train !!

I don't blame Nike. It's just wack

then put them on nikeid or make them built to order.

people will order what they want.

me? no

Vanessa isn’t to blame

end of the day it comes to money, she can say she cares about the fans but she has no say in what Nike does and how much they produce :lol: she can agree to a BS deal for very little money, all that does is line Nikes pockets with more money

Nike is to blame, Kobe line blows away all others past and present IMO not because I’m a Kobe fan but I haven’t seen anything good come from Nikes basketball line since the OG Kobe IV dropped

giphy.gif

That first sentence... lol. Kobes were always popular. I will say, yes the first 2 protro models had releases that hit outlets but that was with Nike taking a chance and thinking the demand was high for them. The first protro, the Del Sol 1s... didnt hit the outlets. I feel they chose to put a certain amount of those... and then gambled and made extremely high numbers of the rest. The 1s are bulky and most of us today are older obviously from their initial debut 05/06. They thought the 81 pts would do due to without saying.

With the 4s... it didnt do well when news broke out the tech didnt match what was initially said. So Nike messed up on those.

And obviously the 5s came with the factor of his passing.

And back to popularity. Kobes are and have been heavily worn by pros for years... since the 7/8s. And I bet if the NBY was an option with mediocre production numbers on the general releases fellas would take that cuz they'll make their multiple pairs and not have to deal with the resell market.

What do you mean what? You guys expect her to give Nike rights to her husband for pennies while they still screw over the consumers

I get this is Nike talk but let’s not act like Nike gives 2 ****s about any of us at the end of the day

Back
Top Bottom