NIKE KOBE VI PROTRO - 2021

It’s not as unfair as you want it to be.

“Times we face now” and “climate is much different” = the value and demand for his shoes went up ONLY BECAUSE of his death.

Mind you, these kobes were released years before and the demand was somewhere in the middle to low interest and never at the top like other Nike sigs.

So saying some people weren’t interested before is very accurate.

And let’s just be real- Kobe’s look silly with jeans and that’s also a contributing factor to why interest in his line was always lukewarm. I’d even go as far as to say that a significant portion of folks that were interested in Kobe’s were more interested in the performance aspect of the shoes and playing in them than collecting or wearing with jeans.

I pretty much never had an issue buying kobes at retail prior to his death with like one or two exceptions being the original Grinch release and an undefeated collab.
Kobe's death is the variable in the equation. If he passed away before the other retros released, they'd all sell out.

I'm NEVER on Nike's side. They are a shady company ran by shady individuals that couldn't care less if we slice each others throats with a butter knife for Kobe's shoes.

The 1s and 4s were never as popular as the 6 either.

I respect the stance, but I respectfully disagree with the narrative of "stop crying now, because you weren't tripping when kobe (insert model here) went to the outlets."

And to add, it has nothing to do with the fact that Nike should make double the pairs that they release right now at the very least...and they'd still bee gone day one.

Imo those two thought processes don't relate. They are mutually exclusive.

Nike should make more of the shoes you and I love. Period

Imo

It’s not as unfair as you want it to be.

“Times we face now” and “climate is much different” = the value and demand for his shoes went up ONLY BECAUSE of his death.

Mind you, these kobes were released years before and the demand was somewhere in the middle to low interest and never at the top like other Nike sigs.

So saying some people weren’t interested before is very accurate.

And let’s just be real- Kobe’s look silly with jeans and that’s also a contributing factor to why interest in his line was always lukewarm. I’d even go as far as to say that a significant portion of folks that were interested in Kobe’s were more interested in the performance aspect of the shoes and playing in them than collecting or wearing with jeans.

I pretty much never had an issue buying kobes at retail prior to his death with like one or two exceptions being the original Grinch release and an undefeated collab.
I'll say for me I'm part of the folks that were performance( cuz he was my favorite player) then transitioned into casual with the Vs. I didnt go after multiple pairs as I was still rocking my Js( last pair of Js I bought were steel red Xs...'05) along with retro nikes like penny 2s... air force max..foamposites. but then I said ima go strictly kobe and sold everything else

Kobe's death is the variable in the equation. If he passed away before the other retros released, they'd all sell out.

I'm NEVER on Nike's side. They are a shady company ran by shady individuals that couldn't care less if we slice each others throats with a butter knife for Kobe's shoes.

The 1s and 4s were never as popular as the 6 either.

I respect the stance, but I respectfully disagree with the narrative of "stop crying now, because you weren't tripping when kobe (insert model here) went to the outlets."

And to add, it has nothing to do with the fact that Nike should make double the pairs that they release right now at the very least...and they'd still bee gone day one.

Imo those two thought processes don't relate. They are mutually exclusive.

Nike should make more of the shoes you and I love. Period

Imo

Yeah I’m not with the stop crying narrative either, it is what it is although Nike absolutely sucks for handling it the way they have.

But the fact remains- the reason people who were into the Kobe line prior to his death can’t get the shoes now is because a new group of people became interested for less than savory purposes, namely- reselling.

I’ve seen 10 year olds wearing vintage Notorious BIG shirts and it’s like yeah come on, you’re wearing it because it’s “cool” not because ‘Ready to Die’ changed your life or had some grand impact on it.

Jadakiss said it best, “Dead rappers get better promotion”.

The only pair of kobes that would be still selling for a decent bit over retail had he not died are Grinches. Nothing more nothing less. His death caused every pair to go up across the board, which is absolutely sad and a bad look on Americans and humans in general. Pretty pathetic that the value of something goes up bc the person behind it died. Same with the MF Doom Dunks. For the longest time Kobes had very little high resale value and you could basically get most pairs (minus grinches, barcas and stupid rare stuff) for just a little over retail, retail or even under retail. Then he dies and boom everything goes up across the board. Same with Dunks and J1s, but the hype is just bc they started getting worn by celebs. When the 01 J1s dropped absolutely nobody wanted those for probably a decade. Now that J1s are all the hype a DS pair of blk red 01 J1s is like a grand or more. Hype is absolutely ridiculous.

The only pair of kobes that would be still selling for a decent bit over retail had he not died are Grinches. Nothing more nothing less.

I wouldn’t go that far.

The entire Fade To Black Collection was going for quadruple retail at one point. Granted part of that was due to people thinking that the Kobe line was ending with his retirement but still the Grinches wouldn’t have been the only pair going for well above retail.

Chaos 5’s would be going for above retail as would the BHM and Venice Beach 8’s. Beethoven 9’s were more than double retail as well. Undefeated 1’s and 4’s too.

I wouldn’t go that far.

The entire Fade To Black Collection was going for quadruple retail at one point. Granted part of that was due to people thinking that the Kobe line was ending with his retirement but still the Grinches wouldn’t have been the only pair going for well above retail.

Chaos 5’s would be going for above retail as would the BHM and Venice Beach 8’s. Beethoven 9’s were more than double retail as well. Undefeated 1’s and 4’s too.
Chaos 5 was barely over retail when it dropped slightly before his death. There are/were a ton of 6, 8-11 cw’s I definitely would’ve gone after if they ever protro’d. Those were my favorites to play in

Chaos 5 was barely over retail when it dropped slightly before his death. There are/were a ton of 6, 8-11 cw’s I definitely would’ve gone after if they ever protro’d. Those were my favorites to play in

I saw the chaos 5’s a flight club going for an amount that made me gag.

I’m just really bummed that we aren’t getting Protro 8’s.

The lunar on my BHM 8’s bottomed out to the point where it feels hazardous to my knees to play in them these days.

Yeah I’m not with the stop crying narrative either, it is what it is although Nike absolutely sucks for handling it the way they have.

But the fact remains- the reason people who were into the Kobe line prior to his death can’t get the shoes now is because a new group of people became interested for less than savory purposes, namely- reselling.

I’ve seen 10 year olds wearing vintage Notorious BIG shirts and it’s like yeah come on, you’re wearing it because it’s “cool” not because ‘Ready to Die’ changed your life or had some grand impact on it.

Jadakiss said it best, “Dead rappers get better promotion”.
Right
It's the true kobe fans/nike kobe line fans that suffer. The culpability rests squarely on nike shoulders. Not ours as the consumer.

I saw the chaos 5’s a flight club going for an amount that made me gag.

I’m just really bummed that we aren’t getting Protro 8’s.

The lunar on my BHM 8’s bottomed out to the point where it feels hazardous to my knees to play in them these days.

If you balled in the 4’s or 8’s several times a week, the way the lunar bottomed out was ridiculous. Still feel some type of way the 4’s were not full length zoom.

Got my HOF’s today in from Goat..

710DE134-AE99-4BAB-919B-808BC34B68B2.jpeg
Noticeable spot on the left shoe. I’ll probably be able to clean it off BUT part of me feels like off principle I shouldn’t have to since I paid resale on em.

Got my HOF’s today in from Goat..

710DE134-AE99-4BAB-919B-808BC34B68B2.jpeg
Noticeable spot on the left shoe. I’ll probably be able to clean it off BUT part of me feels like off principle I shouldn’t have to since I paid resale on em.
You right! I noticed right away! Ask for goat credit and shoe picture

So were POPs the last release? I know Vanessa said 2 more releases but figured the HOF pair did not count since those have been planned all along, just postponed due to Covid..

Yeah POP’s were the last drop…it’s over.

Contract ended back in April…report says short window and Vanessa said two drops. That’s it, it’s over…IMO it’s time to move on.

Yeah POP’s were the last drop…it’s over.

Contract ended back in April…report says short window and Vanessa said two drops. That’s it, it’s over…IMO it’s time to move on.

how are you so sure? You don’t think that there is not one more 6 protro?

First Draw win in half a decade and it's been "Awaiting courier pick up" since Tuesday. What a fitting end to the Nike Kobe line.

Pushed the button on a pair for 335. I think that’s pretty decent for resell. Sucks to always have to pay resell for your favorite player shoes but it is what it is 🤷🏾

Two years ago at this time (Fathers Day to July 4th) the outlets near me were floor to ceiling in Protro 1s. 81 pts, All-Stars, and the purple/blacks. Each weekend when I would stop by, the shelves would still be fully stocked. It was like a never-ending supply, or they just weren't moving at all. They would all be in the $99 to $79 range. And...they had full stock of the non-Protro Kobes.

I got a pair of the 81 pts for $79. They went from release day 'sellout' online...to sitting in outlets stacked from floor to ceiling (getting marked-down multiple times)...to $500 grails on X.

Yup...Nike IS shady as _____.

Back
Top Bottom