Nike Mac Attack - McEnroes forgotten gem

John McEnroe wore almost all iconic pre-Agassi era Nike Tennis sneakers like the Wimbledon (nowadays the Tennis Classic), Challenge Court (which got retroed about six years ago) and the Air Trainer 1 (not technically a Tennis shoe but very much popularized by Tennis).

All of those sneakers came back in some form except for one - the Mac Attack, the, as far as I know, only sneaker actually bearing his name.

Who else would love these to come back eventually? And do you think they'd be popular with the larger crowd or just a niche thing?

lovezapas_mac_attack_mcenroe.jpg

11249878_637861393017809_73437416_n.jpg

NIKE%2BTHE%2BMAC%2BATTACK%2B01.JPG

Loved em when I had that same colorway back in the 80’s and wouldn’t mind obtaining em again. Was kind of hoping something close to happen when Nike SB released those Challenge Court SBs few years ago and Johnny Mac was spotted on its CM tho.

1985 made
rumour that these are retro'ing this year
That would be the biggest release of the year for aficionados and for me personally! The regulars in the Agassi and Tennis threads would have their heads explode.

Im thinking about all the killshot style colorways these could have. Id like to see that gum sole on these. Suede toe.

I envy the designer that gets to work on this retro

Also, after looking at these for a second im realizing how perfect these would be design-wise for Zion. Just update them a bit and thyre good to go. That support at the midfoot connected to the laces would work beatifully to prevent another explosion on court. Ive been sketching out ideas for an Air Zion and this McEnroe shoe fits the exact mold for what i wanted Zions first shoe to be in my head. Basically i wanted a classic jordan 1 simple look but with support like a bo jackson shoe without actual straps. What they did on those macs is perfect. And the collar is also right in line with what i wanted to see as well...

Im about to start sketching something out

Also, after looking at these for a second im realizing how perfect these would be design-wise for Zion. Just update them a bit and thyre good to go. That support at the midfoot connected to the laces would work beatifully to prevent another explosion on court. Ive been sketching out ideas for an Air Zion and this McEnroe shoe fits the exact mold for what i wanted Zions first shoe to be in my head. Basically i wanted a classic jordan 1 simple look but with support like a bo jackson shoe without actual straps. What they did on those macs is perfect. And the collar is also right in line with what i wanted to see as well...

Im about to start sketching something out
That’d be dope. BTW, Nike did actually release the shoe called Zion (don’t think it had “Air” prefixed) from their ACG line way back in 90’s tho. I was actually hoping Nike to update that ACG Zion into Basketball shoes so that Zion can rock them, but it’s just because its name, not the function-wise opinion like yours.

Thread revival had me thinking there was an update for the rumored retro.

Nike is sitting on so much tennis gold between Agassi and McEnroe. It really doesn’t make sense that we haven’t seen more.

The Challenge Court SB from 2012 got my hopes up at the time but it ended up just being A one-off by Gino. Shame.

Thread revival had me thinking there was an update for the rumored retro.

Nike is sitting on so much tennis gold between Agassi and McEnroe. It really doesn’t make sense that we haven’t seen more.

The Challenge Court SB from 2012 got my hopes up at the time but it ended up just being A one-off by Gino. Shame.
Got both the Gino’s and J. Crew joints. Ginos are lawnmower sneakers now. Wear the J Crews periodically. Wish anything from this era would come back out. Nike could’ve really done something with this whole Stranger Things pack too.

Got both the Gino’s and J. Crew joints. Ginos are lawnmower sneakers now. Wear the J Crews periodically. Wish anything from this era would come back out. Nike could’ve really done something with this whole Stranger Things pack too.

I still have my Gino’s and wear them selectively so they look great. I wish I’d bought 2-4 pairs of them. They rarely pop up on eBay in my size.

I still have my Gino’s and wear them selectively so they look great. I wish I’d bought 2-4 pairs of them. They rarely pop up on eBay in my size.
Same deal here. Only ones that pop up are the black/white/purple ones. But the sole separated on mine, so they went to the grass cutting pile.

Back
Top Bottom