Nike says high hype is killing the culture / Sneaker culture is “gentrified”

Is it Nike under producing or is it hypebeast complaining about “L’s”? Because an overwhelming majority of sneakers on sneakers are sitting. Stuff like the Dunk hype is clearly trend riding .

Nike leaked this for obvious reasons & some minutiae changes will be made so that the ppl beastin to give Nike their money will feel cared about. This will result in Nike being seen as “for the consumer” Anyone w/ a brain will see how bullocks that is similar to when consumers suddenly become “for the product” when they see its limited w/ a high resale price. It’s a game of who can be more full of ****.

If ppl did things they wanted to do and wore what they wanted then this wouldn’t be an issue. Like Apple, Nike now markets itself moreso than like influencers rather than what it originally started as in being apparel company. The apparel comes 2nd to consumers beastin snkrs every other week. Just wear what u actually like.

When people wear what they want there is little or no profit. When they don't wear it, they accumulate value, especially limited things.

So it's obvious since 2012, the galaxies to yeezy II to Jordan 1 2013s, to fragment Jordan 1s, to Chicago Jordan 1s to any sneaker that is either very limited, limited or has very high demand, that:

1. Side A are the resellers and people who want to make bucks and also here are some of the "influencers" and hypebeasts that temporarily want the item at any cost just to be "cool", so the resale price can surge.

2. Side B are the makers Nike who make certain numbers of sneakers, and

3. Side C the consumer/collector who genuinely like the product for what it is, not what it isn't. The ones who stick around for a very long time.

Sides A and B rely on the after effects of the limited success of the galaxy/yeezy/Jordan 1/sb dunk hype to hype up other products in the company. Sometimes it works. It's been working for dunks/sb dunk/Jordan 1/Supreme etc.

Side C, us, gets shafted. By now, from 2012 to 2021 the hype is pretty bad for C. A and B have profited from this, Nike benefits from the image and marketing besides the money too. Nike wants to be the "friend" again and invite side C like its all good, we wanna make it up to you.

fcc595c228428a3bc46bcd3f871a0840_w200.gif

Side C is still playing the game, some have left, and time is fleeing. We ain't getting younger, but there's always a new, different gen coming, new customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly i do think nike has been somewhat intentionally trying to deal with the hype issue, just not in the way we want lol

flooding the market with "meh" colorways of popular models so that regular folk have access while hype machines cools off. theyve sprinkled collabs here and there but more or less most releases have been accessible. a looming recession also cools off the market too.

As much as I’ve tried to give it a chance I’ve never been into the the “boutique chic” wave of kicks that’s been making waves this past decade+. ie new balance, ASICS, saucony, diadpra type shoes. I know there are folks out there that really genuinely enjoy them and they’re pretty good quality comfortable shoes, but all the people in my actual life that wear them are the intentionally “i want to be different” people and only wear obscure collabs by Ronnie fieg lol so I’ve soured on them. Reminds me of the adidas consortium days and how uppidity people would get about ultra boosts.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though because I also don’t like Air Force 1s and dunks in most cases lol

Last edited:
Funny thing about crocs, they were popular in 2007 then died down and now made a resurgence. Same time frame as the Nike Dunks.

Back
Top Bottom