Nike x Fear of God Collab - Official Thread (Air Raid F&F IG Shock Drop 10/8 )

Which color of the Air FOG 1 do you prefer?

• Skylon II - Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skylon II - White

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ebay purchase with a best offer as soon as news got out. 20% higher today. Seller got it from StockX. I was checking everyday for a restock, then BOOM, dissapered from Nike.com.
PXL_20201223_165903963.jpg

The same thing could be said about Nike. Also, Adidas and other brands are big overseas.

Nike has taken a lot of their classics and beat them to death with trash after trash, but they have classics that can never be completely tainted and destroyed. Jordan 1, 3, 11, Dunks, AF1, AM1, AM90, etc. All of Adidas products are trash now.

But why retain Drake over Jerry? I can’t think of one iconic design Drake popularized tbh. OVOs were cool (I even own a pair and also like a lot of Drake’s music, for the record) but they were simple cws of already iconic retro designs. Travis is on another level in that way since even his retros put a spin on said iconic designs, so I don’t understand the thought process of retaining both.

I agree about Nike putting the athlete 1st but why not retain top designers like Jerry over non-athletes like Drake that haven’t really moved the needle much for the brand and likely command massive pay?
Jerry has come out and said he went to New Balance, Adidas, and Nike with a 5-10 year plan for leading a division a year ago.

Nike looked at the relationship as a simple collaboration on product. He wanted more.

Also if you remember Drake was getting ready to leave Nike for adidas because they weren't doing enough but push t threw a wrench in that.

Nike has taken a lot of their classics and beat them to death with trash after trash, but they have classics that can never be completely tainted and destroyed. Jordan 1, 3, 11, Dunks, AF1, AM1, AM90, etc. All of Adidas products are trash now.
These items go in seasons. Stan smiths and shell toes. Then they have their Y-3 line along with their Yeezy line and miscellaneous collabs that they do throughout the year. You may not be interested in said items, but other people are.

Nike don’t need any of these guys. They don’t even need Virgil or Travis Scott. They can find other celebs to collab on their products.

Yep, I remember when Nike and Kevin Hart released those garbage collab... I swear people at Nike are smoking crack sometimes. Wtf was Nike thinking? Drake’s new line looks like hot garbage as well. Can’t believe they let Kanye and now Jerry walk. If they let Travis or Virgil walk, I swear shareholders need to step in and demand changes lol

I disagree, Nike has created enough classics they can beat them to death and still keep people interested just by cycling through classic models. Their issue is that their new products are so performance focused and poorly designed for casual use that people lose interest quickly. Look at Flyknit and all those React models, these are rotting in discount and outlets nowadays because nobody cares for them anymore. Adidas seems to have done this with Boost tech and 4D, to a lesser extent. But at least Adidas released classic designs in the UB 1.0s and NMD Hus and R1s in the past 7 years, which are now considered classic designs. I’d argue the closest Nike came to this was the Roshe, which had a ton of initial hype and were actually a really influential design (that you can see inspired shoes like the 350s, React 87s, and even Balenciaga Speed Knits, etc.) but they stupidly drove them into the ground and pairs could be had for like $20.

I disagree, Nike has created enough classics they can beat them to death and still keep people interested just by cycling through classic models. Their issue is that their new products are so performance focused and poorly designed for casual use that people lose interest quickly. Look at Flyknit and all those React models, these are rotting in discount and outlets nowadays because nobody cares for them anymore. Adidas seems to have done this with Boost tech and 4D, to a lesser extent. But at least Adidas released classic designs in the UB 1.0s and NMD Hus and R1s in the past 7 years, which are now considered classic designs. I’d argue the closest Nike came to this was the Roshe, which had a ton of initial hype and were actually a really influential design (that you can see inspired shoes like the 350s, React 87s, and even Balenciaga Speed Knits, etc.) but they stupidly drove them into the ground and pairs could be had for like $20.

Please consolidate your replies.

No, it’s not. Nike always finds the next star. But regardless of that, as long as Jordan is attached to Nike, they will always have the biggest cash cow and Icon. They can market anyone in those shoes.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that Nike has the most popular and coveted silhouettes (As of today’s current fashion trends) . And as a whole Nike still has the lion share of the shoe market. But it would be ne

Lol how is Adidas a sinking ship? Do you remember how irrelevant pre-Kanye Adidas was? The brand was dying and most sneakerheads wouldn’t touch it but Kanye alone saved that brand from irrelevancy because he’s that talented/influential and could do what nobody else could with Adidas. Hiring Jerry is extremely smart of Adidas because their non-Yeezy designs have been struggling and mostly derivative since the peak Boost hype with UB 1.0s and NMD R1s. Nike struggles with newer designs as well, which is surprising they let him walk since Jerry actually delivered them an amazing, hyped new model (FOG 1) that they haven’t seen in years. Nike should have honestly let Drake walk and retained Virgil, Travis, and Jerry-those 3 are essentially all hype factories.

Extremely narrow view of Adidas. Sinking ship if were talking about niche hyped product, but no way that applies to their business as a whole. They basically own Europe. The perception of the brand over there is way different than it is in the states, and all this hyped limited product is more so for clout/attention than anything else. Remember that the Air Monarch is Nike's best selling shoe by a wide margin.

Extremely narrow view of Adidas. Sinking ship if were talking about niche hyped product, but no way that applies to their business as a whole. They basically own Europe. The perception of the brand over there is way different than it is in the states, and all this hyped limited product is more so for clout/attention than anything else. Remember that the Air Monarch is Nike's best selling shoe by a wide margin.

Yeah, to be clear in my response, I felt the brand had little/no sneakerhead appeal prior to Kanye signing and Boost hype (although I suppose Y-3 had some niche appeal) but to call it a “sinking ship” when the brand has actually successfully built appeal in the sneaker culture over the last few years is crazy IMO.

It’s been said, and while we all here don’t think Nike, after now losing Kanye and Jerry, should lose Virgil and/or Travis, as long as Nike/Jordan is still making money hand over fist, and continues to lead the industry and keep the gap it has ahead of its competitors, they’re not tripping. Nike/JBs formula has and continues to work, so why fix what isn’t broken? The fact that they let Jerry create a whole new line of shoes is a huge deal, and it is a little shocking to me that it’s just gonna end like that, but Nikes and Js will continue to have dope and hyped collabs, and the mindshare that Nike/Jordan holds is so strong that they can almost do no wrong. Adidas and others are playing a game of catch-up that they’ll never truly never win unless something cataclysmic happens with Nike/JB.

But why retain Drake over Jerry? I can’t think of one iconic design Drake popularized tbh. OVOs were cool (I even own a pair and also like a lot of Drake’s music, for the record) but they were simple cws of already iconic retro designs. Travis is on another level in that way since even his retros put a spin on said iconic designs, so I don’t understand the thought process of retaining both.

I agree about Nike putting the athlete 1st but why not retain top designers like Jerry over non-athletes like Drake that haven’t really moved the needle much for the brand and likely command massive pay?

They'd rather retain Drake than Jerry because Drake is the bigger brand. Jerry might be able to design better products, but Drake gives Nike more recognition. Designers are a dime a dozen at Nike. Guys like Drake and Travis most likely don't have much say in designs; the design teams probably bring up a bunch of designs to them and they choose which ones they like and make small adjustments from there.

Wild how a dude with absolutely no prior background in the fashion industry can go from promoting night club parties to being head of a division at Adidas.

His mainline FoG line is the best in its field. Hes been quite successful as of late, the FoG x Zegna collab is amazing. Idk how this is so wild when Jerry’s been a top name in luxury/luxury streetwear for the past few years.

Nike will be fine. All the best collabs lately have been on point, far better than whatever theyve done with JL or Travis. Off White has been a big miss outside The Ten, they’ll be alright.

His mainline FoG line is the best in its field. Hes been quite successful as of late, the FoG x Zegna collab is amazing. Idk how this is so wild when Jerry’s been a top name in luxury/luxury streetwear for the past few years.

What's your point? It was more of a compliment than anything. I'm not knocking his hustle.

Also, he hasn't had a mainline collection sell well since the 4th collection. 5th collection was borderline trash too. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. The Zegna collab, while interesting, will rot on shelves until it's marked down over 50% off like most of his stuff over the past couple years.

Back
Top Bottom