Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Did a tempo run today in the VF’s and this was my split throughout. I’ve always trained on my own and never had someone give me feedback but my question to you guys who have done tempo runs, does the correctly reflect what a tempo run should look like?

C7441325-0537-490E-866B-E09F35758AC3.png

I’ve used the hal-higdon trainiing regimen for my previous HM’s and now I’m using the 5K intermediate training regimen for this upcoming 5K next week. It states the following for these workouts;

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with an easy beginning, a buildup in the middle to near 10K race pace, then ease back and cruise to the finish. A typical tempo run would begin with 5-10 minutes easy running, continue with 10-15 faster running, and finish with 5-10 minutes cooling down. You can’t figure out your pace on a watch doing this workout; you need to listen to your body. Tempo runs are very useful for developing your anaerobic threshold, essential for fast 5K racing.

Simply put, I understand it as a slow build up to race pace until you reach the peak time frame of the run, in which you gradually reduce yourself back to a slow pace.

Open to any comments/criticism. Just wondering if what I’m doing actually reflects what a tempo run should look like.
I understand tempo to be a hard but controlled pace that can be run as long intervals or a steady run.

Last edited:
Did a tempo run today in the VF’s and this was my split throughout. I’ve always trained on my own and never had someone give me feedback but my question to you guys who have done tempo runs, does the correctly reflect what a tempo run should look like?

I’ve used the hal-higdon trainiing regimen for my previous HM’s and now I’m using the 5K intermediate training regimen for this upcoming 5K next week. It states the following for these workouts;

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with an easy beginning, a buildup in the middle to near 10K race pace, then ease back and cruise to the finish. A typical tempo run would begin with 5-10 minutes easy running, continue with 10-15 faster running, and finish with 5-10 minutes cooling down. You can’t figure out your pace on a watch doing this workout; you need to listen to your body. Tempo runs are very useful for developing your anaerobic threshold, essential for fast 5K racing.

Simply put, I understand it as a slow build up to race pace until you reach the peak time frame of the run, in which you gradually reduce yourself back to a slow pace.

Open to any comments/criticism. Just wondering if what I’m doing actually reflects what a tempo run should look like.
Also, if it helps, tempo is relative so here’s a pace chart from Nike’s training plans for reference.

57479E02-B377-4535-8022-ACC4559657A6.jpeg

I always thought a tempo run was starting off at a decent pace and making every mile just a little bit faster lol. I’m thinking about getting a running coach, for programming and accountability. Anyone know of some legit online coaches that don’t charge an arm and both my legs?! My goal is to qualify for Boston, I know I’m kind of far from it right now but I think with the right programming I can do it. I would really like to qualify next December at CIM but that would require me to shave 39 minutes off my best marathon time. Don’t know if I’m being too ambitious, but we’ll see.

I always thought a tempo run was starting off at a decent pace and making every mile just a little bit faster lol. I’m thinking about getting a running coach, for programming and accountability. Anyone know of some legit online coaches that don’t charge an arm and both my legs?! My goal is to qualify for Boston, I know I’m kind of far from it right now but I think with the right programming I can do it. I would really like to qualify next December at CIM but that would require me to shave 39 minutes off my best marathon time. Don’t know if I’m being too ambitious, but we’ll see.

https://ameforitruncoaching.com/

https://mckirdytrained.com/

https://www.sugarruns.com/

All solid options I've seen on IG

That’s a progression run. I love doing those! I want to BQ too. I haven’t run a full since I bonked at CIM. I started to push it way too hard after the half marathon mark. I was pushing 6:30-6:50s then hit the wall at around mile 20 SMH.

I used a training program that came with my Garmin FR 235 and went from a 3:32 to a 2:56 marathon within half a year. The exercises can be found in the Garmin connect desktop app and through the mobile app they can be transferred to the watch. Maybe not the option if you want feedback of a trainer but if you have discipline and do the exercises it will certainly help you.

I used a training program that came with my Garmin FR 235 and went from a 3:32 to a 2:56 marathon within half a year. The exercises can be found in the Garmin connect desktop app and through the mobile app they can be transferred to the watch. Maybe not the option if you want feedback of a trainer but if you have discipline and do the exercises it will certainly help you.

Damn 3:32 to 2:56 in 6 months, that’s amazing. I’ve heard nothing but good things from people using garmin’s and their built in programs. I run regularly with 5 guys at work and I’m the only odd ball using an Apple Watch. Now you’ve got me thinking if I should go with a coach (6 months for $600) or invest in a fenix. I’m already registered for Big Sur and San Francisco next year, hopefully I can make nice improvements to prepare for CIM next December.

L Locke thanks for the information. After seeing a few comments in here, I went online and did some research (which I probably should've did initially) and from what i've gathered, there's nothing more than explanations , similar to what you've posted, describing what a tempo run should be. I was really looking for run data, something along the lines of what the NRC app provides but I don't believe thats available.

Once I'm done with this event, I'm going to order those two books suggested in this thread. At first this was just something I did to get back into shape but I'm becoming more involved and figure why not go a step further.

L Locke thanks for the information. After seeing a few comments in here, I went online and did some research (which I probably should've did initially) and from what i've gathered, there's nothing more than explanations , similar to what you've posted, describing what a tempo run should be. I was really looking for run data, something along the lines of what the NRC app provides but I don't believe thats available.

Once I'm done with this event, I'm going to order those two books suggested in this thread. At first this was just something I did to get back into shape but I'm becoming more involved and figure why not go a step further.
One of my favorite quotes is, “What’s the most important step a man can take? The next step. Always the next step.”

Also, search YouTube for "McMillan Tempo Run" and watch the video. Greg McMillan has all sorts of videos on different workouts (tempo, steady state, etc.). Also, his pace calculator at his website (McMillan Running) is used by a lot of runners.

Back
Top Bottom