Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Hey NikeTalkers

Just purchased a pair of AF on discount. Feel like a poser here as i am a 11:30 marathoner, but reading here, all of you have convinced me to do it. so i did lol.

Wondering what am i going to expect with these. Love cushion, but have a few questions.

1) Do these change your running style in any way. I assume with all the stack i may have to change something/anything about my running style.
2) Coming from ESpeeds/ Peg turbo/ Peg - characteristic differences of course?
3) As a self proclaimed turtle - will these even help?
4) Break in period? trying to make it to NYC

Honestly im looking for reasons to justify my purchase lol. Any tips/tricks etc. are appreciated.
1) they promote running on your forefoot, if you're not already so inclined
2) they're way different that all of those shoes; feel softer, taller, bouncier
3) probably in the sense they make it easier to pick up the pace and hold it compared to most shoes (i'm slow too)
4) I don't think they need to be broken in, but you may want to wear them a few times to get used to how they feel and let your feet/legs figure out your ideal stride in them

1) they promote running on your forefoot, if you're not already so inclined
2) they're way different that all of those shoes; feel softer, taller, bouncier
3) probably in the sense they make it easier to pick up the pace and hold it compared to most shoes (i'm slow too)
4) I don't think they need to be broken in, but you may want to wear them a few times to get used to how they feel and let your feet/legs figure out your ideal stride in them
1) coming from espeeds - those promoted forefoot but as my running has progressed its become more natural. Is it MORE than that?
I did have some achilles issues earlier with espeed2's but havent used them. So lets see.
4) I plan to do a few runs in them (12 m, NYC last 10 and a few 10ks) prior to NYC (Taper time)
New - Any chance to add an insole? Do you even do that in these?

Thats not bad. Hoping for the best. I have my Espeed1's i used for berlin if needed.

1) not necessarily more than speeds, but different. I think speeds roll smoother, but the AF is more propulsive
Adding an insole is difficult because because I believe the sockliner is glued in and even if you remove it, there isn't a whole lot of excess volume in the upper (especially in the midfoot).

Are those Tempos only sold outside of the US? I haven’t seen that cw in stores or sites yet.

Anyhow, finished NBYs via IG

A514FD3E-13C0-4B06-814D-7D8D11064BAA.jpeg

4AC9C16D-9BFC-4872-99C2-703DE7AA7C3B.jpeg

Got 1 of 2 of my VFN IDs in.

This was from purchases months back. Hit up Nike and best they could do was 10%. I’m not even sure if I’ll keep these as I ordered a pair of Flyknits but can’t compare them at all.
On well

I’m 153 miles in the Alphafly Kipchoge purchased from Nike. The left heel pad is completely bent out of shape and the plastic behind the padding is protruding. About 3 miles into an 8 mile run I couldn’t take it anymore, so I took them off and sure enough it’s cut my heel (I was even wearing the Nike Elite Cushioned socks which have a thick padding on the heel). Anyone know if Nike Customer Service would get them replaced? I purchased them November 8 2020.

I’m really enjoying the Tempo Next% sole!

F2BE758E-8AAF-4C88-9FD4-2045DB845C21.jpeg

How was it running in these? Could you give a mini review ?

I’m 153 miles in the Alphafly Kipchoge purchased from Nike. The left heel pad is completely bent out of shape and the plastic behind the padding is protruding. About 3 miles into an 8 mile run I couldn’t take it anymore, so I took them off and sure enough it’s cut my heel (I was even wearing the Nike Elite Cushioned socks which have a thick padding on the heel). Anyone know if Nike Customer Service would get them replaced? I purchased them November 8 2020.

Send them to nike warranty. You'll get a voucher for the full amount. Take pics and explain what happened. They're pretty good about stuff like this

I think it was my third or fourth run in them. I haven’t run in any stock ZTNs yet. But the sole paired with the Flyknit upper was a pleasure to run in. I really loved the flexibility and breathability of FL3 upper.

Sole-wise, they really feel like Nike’s third best option (the AF and VFN2 are ahead). They have a similar propulsive sensation to the VFN/AF, but these are significantly firmer. I was honestly surprised that I was running close to a sub6 pace for the first mile (two mile progression run) into my latest run. After the first mile, I had a good feel for them. I was able to speed it up a bit with not much fatigue. The ZTN is a nice alternate for the AF/VFN if you don’t want to spend too much.

see that's how you correctly run so you don't damage the sole… without touching the ground
LOL

So i took mine AF1s out on a 20 miler in NYC after wearing them a few days. Very interesting ride. If you are not forward, they are not stable.
When you are tired and heel strike, your ankles will feel it.

they are so cushy, but almost too cushy. Its a very thin line they are treading. Overall i like them. Wish i could add an insole but im good.

Back
Top Bottom