Niketalk brethren: I quit my job to travel across North America.

Yo, make sure you hit up the great American landmarks - The Grand Canyon (Grand Canyon is huge, make sure you visit the sky walk), Yellowstone Park, Mount Rushmore (assuming u gonna drive through Dakota, lol), the Golden Gate Bridge, Oregon Coast etc...

Good !$!#, I plan on doin this too, but in Europe/Asia.

props brotha! i recently quit my job myself to travel..... only been to Utah & Socal so far. Planning to make it out to SEA, CHI (again), TX, NOLA, and NYC (again).

hit me up when youre in the South Bay (San Jose area). got some of the best mexican and vietnamese food out here!

good luck op
if you pass threw chicago, and the nba lock out is over, lets hit up a bulls game, drinks on me

good luck OP, i luv seeing and visiting different places...hit me up if u in bmore, alotta interesting stuff out here
pimp.gif

Kudos bro... I support your movement. Give me a holler if you ever come to Wisconsin... This place is unbelievably beautiful.
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

You got a Google Maps route, bro?
You're the 3rd or 4th person to ask me that, and I have yet to find where/how you can plan out a route like that. Please enlighten me
nerd.gif

where were you working, op?
just curious why you chose the north america (assuming you're from thestates)? i would've picked something overseas, just curious.
I was an assistant chef at a country club.

I chose to stay here in the US/North America for a lot of reasons. After budgeting it out, I can drive over 20,000 miles for the price of a round-trip ticket to Europe (and I'd have no way to get around once I got there.) We always tend to think the grass is greener on the other side, but there is SO much awesome and beautiful stuff to see just here in North America.
how much money do u have saved up?
A lot less than you might think. With proper budgeting and planning, I'm expecting to be able to travel/live for a year for between $5,000-$7,500. I'm obviously not going to be staying at the Ritz or eating out a lot, but you can survive and live comfortably on the road for a lot cheaper than living in an apartment. (no rent, electricity/cable bills, etc.)

I've invested around $2K in really nice camping/outdoors gear. I love to be outdoors in the first place, and it helps me save a hell of a lot of money in the long run, so it was an easy decision.

#$%%+%! Awesome

If you're not going to have a blog can you please update this thread regularly??
laugh.gif

I think it will be cool for NT'ers to follow you and post their experience if they get a chance to meet you along the way.

I'll be checking to see when you get to LA, we can have some brews.

Good luck famb.

OP after reading your "argument" on "why north america"...my thoughts have shifted. I've always thought about a great trip across Europe, but you are right...why not stay close to home?
I think I am going to organize me one of these. Probably will take a little over a year to come into fruition but it's something great to work toward.

what kind of car r u gonna be driving and what kind of camping/travel gear r u gonna be taking? I think what you're doing is one of the best ideas I've heard all year. And the fact that you're rolling solo puts it over the edge for me, I wish I could roll with you. Happy trails bro

Major props!

Come to NYC! I would defintally want to meet up and show you around the GREATEST city in the world.

My advice, defintally start a blog, chronicle your stories, people you meet, and interesting things you find along the route. This is a great experience that you should not only share with yourself but also with the world, along the way you can inspire people to go out and ACTUALLY do what THEY want to do.

Its a awesome thing your doing!
pimp.gif
You defintally will have NT supporting you.

PM me!

Well, if you stop through Indianapolis you HAVE TO stop by long's bakery. Get the glazed donuts. Your life will be transformed, literally.

i've been thinking about this seroiusly for about a year. after reading this post i may go through with it. props to u OP

^ Do it my man
pimp.gif
you only live once and you don't want to be 40, wondering what if.

Both of those websites posted of people taking similar journeys were dope as hell.
How do you think this pilgrimage will effect the rest of your outlook on life once you're done traveling?

Damn. That's easily the best question I've been asked. I'd like to think of myself as a pretty open-minded dude, but I'm sure it'll effect me in some unexpected way. I'm really trying to let myself go where the wind takes me (which is why I don't have a set date to come back or a definite route I'm going to take.) I don't really know how to answer that. I'm still trying to figure out what angle I'm going to take as far as the writing aspect of it, which I'm sure will play a big part. I'll have to get back you about that
laugh.gif

Kerouac would be proud
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
At the very least, it should make it easy for me to hook up with hipster chicks.
what kind of car r u gonna be driving and what kind of camping/travel gear r u gonna be taking?
'97 Volvo 850 wagon. Much better gas mileage than a van or SUV. Cheap and reliable. Back seats fold down completely so if I have to sleep in my car, it's gravy. Plus it has roof racks for my cargo box.

Too much camping gear to list, but I made sure I got primo everything. 4-season North Face tent, 600-fill down North Face sleeping bag. First Need water purifier, MSR stove. Kelty expedition pack. Backcountry and Departmentofgoods.com
pimp.gif

I'm still amazed at how positive the response has been. So many NT'ers I don't even know offering me to stay at their place, buy me food/brews. Other dudes saying I'm inspiring them to take a trek themselves. That's what's up, for real.
I'm definitely going to take y'all up on your offers.
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

I leave tomorrow for Maine. No idea how long I'll be out on the lobster boat for any given period of time, so updates will probably be sporadic at first.

I bid you gentlemen adieu and leave you with some pics I took yesterday at Hanging Rock State Park in NC:

2e3324j.jpg

2gwtlwp.jpg

Much love my brothas
pimp.gif

damn I slept on this thread op! did not realize you were starting in NC. if you come back you gotta check out land of the waterfalls, blue ridge parkway and mt mitchell on a clear day. don't sleep on the outer banks and ocracoke island. good luck on your journey and keep us posted. go heels!

posted earlier in this thread & will be checking for updates.

good luck with your expedition & if you're in chicago, hit me up.

very inspiring thread.

Back
Top Bottom