Niketalk, is it wrong for me to use a debit card on small purchases?

Originally Posted by psykhO

Isn't there a minimum buy limit like 4 dollars?

that is actually illegal, and so is charging to use debit cards. there is a merchant agreement that forbids companies to do that.. but most people don'tknow. but a way around it is.. having 2 different prices for stuff, like in gas stations. some places charge a certain amount if paid cash and more if paidthrough debit/credit which is totally legal.

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

eh...the only think to worry about is the vendor who has to eat a small %tage b/c of the fees charged by the credit card companies

I personally don't like using a card for anything under $20...but whatever... it's your loot.
I'm the opposite. I don't pay for anything under $20 in cash. Put it all on the debit card. Everything else is paid in cash over $20.
That's weird. What's your logic?
I try and use my debit/cc for purchases over $100 but I usually use it if a purchase below would leave me with less than $35.

I think some people on here dont know that companies get charged a certain fee everytime someone uses a credit card.

aint nothing wrong with that. i ALWAYS use my CC cause i get points for each dollar spent...i've earned ~$1000 just for buying stuff with my CC
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

eh...the only think to worry about is the vendor who has to eat a small %tage b/c of the fees charged by the credit card companies

I personally don't like using a card for anything under $20...but whatever... it's your loot.
isnt it a fixed cost + %?

thats why certain businesses have a sign at the register that says, for example, "Credit card purchases for $5 and up only"

Originally Posted by CWrite78

that is actually illegal, and so is charging to use debit cards. there is a merchant agreement that forbids companies to do that.. but most people don't know. but a way around it is.. having 2 different prices for stuff, like in gas stations. some places charge a certain amount if paid cash and more if paid through debit/credit which is totally legal.
So if I'm told that I can't pay with a debit card at, say a pizza place, unless I spend over $10 that's illegal?

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

that is actually illegal, and so is charging to use debit cards. there is a merchant agreement that forbids companies to do that.. but most people don't know. but a way around it is.. having 2 different prices for stuff, like in gas stations. some places charge a certain amount if paid cash and more if paid through debit/credit which is totally legal.
So if I'm told that I can't pay with a debit card at, say a pizza place, unless I spend over $10 that's illegal?

yes, and you can actually report them to visa/mastercard (the only two i know that do that) same goes with being denied your card if you don't show your ID(card is valid when signed, no need for more proof)

Lowest amount I've put on my card was 26cents for a banana at Braum's. I rarely keep cash on me and when I do, I didn't feel like breaking a 20

if you have wamu you will get .30 back so your $1.00 purchase is 70 cents

i don't know how many times i have gotten comments along the lines of "you know i lose 10% on this purchase every time a card is swiped"...ireply with the "then why do you have the sign out"

gotta be a baller and buy 2 of everything, that way it most likely will be more than one dollar youre spending!

I didnt't know it was illegal...but whenever I come across a place likethat I just go somewhere else

not really

but it is wrong if it says you got no money left when you try to make like a $0.97 purchase
laugh.gif

**** is embarrassing

yes, and you can actually report them to visa/mastercard (the only two i know that do that) same goes with being denied your card if you don't show your ID (card is valid when signed, no need for more proof)

#+$ busy works and dqm both asked for id wen i gave em my card wen i was buying sneakers. so wat they did was illegal??

I don't see how it makes the guys job any harder, you slide the card and wait for the receipt to come out. Half the time when you use debit at fast foodplaces it runs it as credit anyway. I pay with my credit card for every single purchase i make whether it be big or small. I'll buy a bottle of water for75 cents at work and use my credit card for that.

Originally Posted by Lloydbanks827

yes, and you can actually report them to visa/mastercard (the only two i know that do that) same goes with being denied your card if you don't show your ID (card is valid when signed, no need for more proof)

#+$ busy works and dqm both asked for id wen i gave em my card wen i was buying sneakers. so wat they did was illegal??

no, it's not. BUT denying you purchase because you don't want to show your ID is against their merchant agreement.

Originally Posted by Lloydbanks827

no, it's not. BUT denying you purchase because you don't want to show your ID is against their merchant agreement.

daaamn cuz the dudes at dqm psyched me out they were like "do you know right now you can be thrown in the pen for walking around wit a debit card witoutid" but i dont know if dats the same situation for refusing to show id VS walkin around wit a debit card wit no id

Back
Top Bottom