Norcal's GRUB Thread

Couple new spots I heard about:

Hakkasan (5 star cantonese dining, $100 a head easy)
House of Pancakes (Taiwanese/Chinese)

Anybody got any good spots in the financial district? Tired of eating at the same usual spots.

Anybody got any good spots in the financial district? Tired of eating at the same usual spots.

Try
B & M Mei Sing Restaurant on 2nd (between Stevenson St & Jessie St)
The main dishes I usually get is

-Won Ton noodle soup with Shrimp
-Tomato Shrimp Chow Mein
-Gon lo mein. Wonton, shrimp, and beef.

I never really venture away from these dishes. I've been eating there since I was 6-7. And it’s been consistent (food wise). Yelp wise, it's all subjective.

Last edited:
:lol: that place is literally across the street from my office. Been meaning to try it, but was never sure if it's legit Chinese food or panda express type.

Cafe Venue, Sentinel, the Golden West, Marruci's, and Ramen Underground are my usual places to grab lunch.

Ever since I was small, I would go there with my dad. He used to work around the corner from there. Since he retired, I still crave B&M. And go there every once in a while. I never order anything on the hot table. When I first met my wife, I took her there to order the same 3 dishes. She also agrees that they make those 3 dishes the best. The tomato shrimp chow mein is off the hook. No other place can make it like them. They set the benchmark. I highly suggest you try it.

Went to Gary dankos last week..........place wasn't all that the service sucked and food was just alright. Final bill was a few dollars away from $600 for 6 people. 3 people got the 4 courses and 3 picked the 3 courses
Anybody else know any GOOD fine dining places.
Went to Alexander's steakhouse 2 weeks ago and service was top notch

Last edited:

Try HRD Smokin grill a try

Going to Tomales Bay oyster farm. What should I bring?

Favorite lobster roll in San Francisco? Not tripping of price.

Anybody tried Kingdom of Dumplings on Taraval and 27th? Place is tiny but by far the best dumplings and shanghai soup dumplings i've ever had. Pretty cheap too.

Anybody tried Kingdom of Dumplings on Taraval and 27th? Place is tiny but by far the best dumplings and shanghai soup dumplings i've ever had. Pretty cheap too.

Yup, I've been i can argue their Xiao Long Bao is just as good (if not better and more affordable) than Din Tai Fung's (Taiwan/East LA Proper). Honorable mentions to their green onion pancake and lamb dumplings.

Went to Gary dankos last week..........place wasn't all that the service sucked and food was just alright. Final bill was a few dollars away from $600 for 6 people. 3 people got the 4 courses and 3 picked the 3 courses

Since you like Steakhouse's I'm more impartial to Ruth Chris's over Morton's and Fleming's (however during restaurant week the Filet Migon was worth the hype).
Granted I went to Alexander's but I feel like unless I get to try their Kobe Beef (and Bone Marrow) Steak. Their dry-aged Ribeye, didn't leave that much of an impression for me to want to purchase it again (I'm also biased since I cook steaks fairly regularly).

For fine dining spots in the Bay Area try these as alternatives:
-Commis (North Oakland/Piedmont Hills, CA)
-Chez Panisse (North Berkeley; Gourmet Ghetto, CA), once they re-open
-Fleur De Lys (San Francisco, Nob Hill; Hubert Keller's Flagship)
-French Laundry (Yountville, Napa Valley, CA; Thomas Keller's Flagship)
-Keiko a Nob Hill (original Sous of TK's French Laundry)
-Jardinere (classically french trained Tracy Jardin's spot)
-Atelier Crenn (a recent gastronomy fine dining spot)
-State Bird Provisions (an up and coming Little Tokyo Haute cuisine destination)

I've got more if you need em, just let me know :smile:

Would any NT'ers be interested if I hosted a food tour in their respective parts of the Bay? Let me know!

In SF- Wood House fish Company.

The Best- Sams Chowder House Half Moon Bay

I have been wanting to make a Tomales Bay trip :smh:

Since you like Steakhouse's I'm more impartial to Ruth Chris's over Morton's and Fleming's (however during restaurant week the Filet Migon was worth the hype).
Granted I went to Alexander's but I feel like unless I get to try their Kobe Beef (and Bone Marrow) Steak. Their dry-aged Ribeye, didn't leave that much of an impression for me to want to purchase it again (I'm also biased since I cook steaks fairly regularly).

Personal I think Morton's is slightly overrated and I'd definitely put Ruth Chris over Morton's. Never been to Flemings.

My top 5
1.Esptus
2.Ruth Chris
3.HOPR
4.Porterhouse
5.Lark Creek
5aMortons

Last edited:

Yup, I've been i can argue their Xiao Long Bao is just as good (if not better and more affordable) than Din Tai Fung's (Taiwan/East LA Proper). Honorable mentions to their green onion pancake and lamb dumplings.

For fine dining spots in the Bay Area try these as alternatives:
-Commis (North Oakland/Piedmont Hills, CA)
-Chez Panisse (North Berkeley; Gourmet Ghetto, CA), once they re-open
-Fleur De Lys (San Francisco, Nob Hill; Hubert Keller's Flagship)
-French Laundry (Yountville, Napa Valley, CA; Thomas Keller's Flagship)
-Keiko a Nob Hill (original Sous of TK's French Laundry)
-Jardinere (classically french trained Tracy Jardin's spot)
-Atelier Crenn (a recent gastronomy fine dining spot)
-State Bird Provisions (an up and coming Little Tokyo Haute cuisine destination)

I've got more if you need em, just let me know :smile:

Would any NT'ers be interested if I hosted a food tour in their respective parts of the Bay? Let me know!
Thanks man. And I would definitely be down for the tour. pm the the info when u have everything ready to go

In SF- Wood House fish Company.

The Best- Sams Chowder House Half Moon Bay

I have been wanting to make a Tomales Bay trip :smh:

Personal I think Morton's is slightly overrated and I'd definitely put Ruth Chris over Morton's. Never been to Flemings.

My top 5
1.Esptus
2.Ruth Chris
3.HOPR
4.Porterhouse
5.Lark Creek
5aMortons
Had sam's chowder house mobile truck come by my job. It was pretty good

mission chinese on mission st in SF got named #27 best restaurant in the nation by the way. Vice did a segment on the main cooks

I've been there its good

Just went recently and the best dish to me was their pork belly without the additional side toppings on it. Everything was sort of a manifesto of a single focus in which a dish should be (the chicken and crispy beef tripe, was spicy), the fried rice was salty and etc.

^^

Yeah boss! Would def be down for a food tour!

Sounds like I got some legwork to do. I was thinking of doing East Bay and then San Francisco into two parts (SF and SSF/South Peninsula) followed by San Jose as a finisher. The only problem is most places are a bit far to do public transportation so I would have to coordinate people to driving to certain centralized spots and then we would all go together in a few cars/vans/trucks like a food caravan, if you all are really game. I scope the logistics on it after trying something similar when I lived in LA.

Thanks man. And I would definitely be down for the tour. pm the the info when u have everything ready to go

Will do hare, I hope you found my previous message well get back to me and then I'll hit you up pronto. Work has gotten kind of busy lately so apologies on the lateness of my response.

heres my breakfast spots i have bookmarked

Mama's
Brendas French Soul Food
Zazie
Plow
Stack's

Yelp is your friend

On Friday nights, "Off The Grid" is gd spot to hit up

Last edited:
A) Where are you staying?
B) What kind of food do you like?
Staying at the argonaut on fisherman's warf. Ill eat just about anything if it taste good lol

The Argonaut is an excellent choice. My friend is the Director of Sales.(Corporate bookings) And he comp'd us a room there in March. That place is very nice!

From walking distance, hit up Lou's. They have a good Cioppino. The Boudin's is nice also.

Thanks for the feedback guys. So far were going to mama's, original joes, woodhouse fish co., swan oyster dept, Buena vista, tataki sushi and will prob grab lunch at the ferry building. I also booked us the foodie adventures food tour so hopefully well get to taste as much as possible. Gotta try in and out too obviously.

Chinese food in SF- I think one of the best is san tung on 12th ave and irving in the inner sunset area. Dried Fried wings are so good also you gotta try the shrimp leek dumplings Ive tried many other things on the menu and they never disappoint.

There is also SO on 9th and bryant which is sort of the brother restaurant to this one they have many of the same dishes just tweeked slightly.

Sandwiches- Molinari's in North beach on Columbus is very good they also have a huge cheese selection and alot of other italian foods.

Roxies is a great sandwich spot too for the hot sandwiches especially.

Little lucca in ssf is another great place but lines can be outrageous phone order can come in handy.

One my favorite places for a splurge once in awhile is HOPR on Van Ness ave as some others have mentioned already. The King Henry cut is where its at. it can be a little pricey $$$ but well worth it.

Burgers and steaks are really great at Bullshead in west portal its a little whole in the wall but the food is very good and reasonably priced. They have a decent salad bar too.

Barney's on 24th and castro st has great burgers and curly fries.

Great breakfast and brunch- Outerlands on 45th ave and judah the open face breakfast sandwich is my favorite and it comes with a nice little salad.

Cheap breakfast can be found at Irving st cafe on 8th ave and judah next to pasquales pizza it is a little whole in the wall owned by a very nice family the food is very cheap but VERY Good and after you go there a few times they make you fell like family.

SF has so many great spots to eat but these are just a few of my faves. Yelp can be a great tool but dont believe the great reviews of places that only have 10 or so reviews thoose have led me to some pretty crappy places.

Had cream in berkeley for the first time and it was just a ice cream sandwich. Nothing special I guess I had high hopes because of the line

Back
Top Bottom