NT At what point do you cut ties with your "best" friend? (Semi-long read)

I just need to vent right now, and the advice of some NTers would be nice. It's kind of a long story for everything to make sense...but I'll try to be as short as possible.

So this year I became pretty close with one of my old friends from HS. We were never super tight, but we always had a connection in the way that we have always had the EXACT same taste in music. I would say I was at him and his girls apartment at least 5/7 days a week during the summer. We went to Milwaukee together to see Kanye at Summerfest, as well as many other shows together. During the course of the year we became pretty close. A few months back, after a night of
pimp.gif
, we kinda constructed this idea that we wanted to design and sell shirts. We had everything planned out, a brand name, a brand statement, a story behind it, and a few designs to start with. Now don't get me wrong, I never thought this was a guaranteed success, but I wanted to give it an attempt.

Dude kept telling me we would work on it, and it never would happen. Instead he was either with his side girl, or making music with his co-producer. Now I understand he has other things to do, but the fact he would consistently tell me we would do something, and then would flake every time we had a plan, I got a little annoyed. I finally called him out and we kind of had a small falling out. He claimed I was "mixing business with friendship." And I kept saying, well you should have enough respect for me as a friend to not ditch plans as a business partner. Eventually after leading me to believe we were gonna work on this for weeks, he told me he was more interested in music, but if I wanted to do it on my own I was more than welcome to.

A few days later (about a week and 2 days before thanksgiving) we make plans, and again dude completely ditches me. So I'm like, ok so before it was cool to ditch me for whatever reason because it was "business." But when we are supposed to just chill as friends, you still do it? I blew up on him a little bit. And of course he thought he did nothing wrong. So a few days later I run into K, his co-producer, and he goes "I gotta talk to you about visuals for the shirt." and I'm like well I was told you guys weren't interested in doing it anymore, and he goes "No, he's on his way over right now to work on it." So I just blow up on my friend, I felt so betrayed over the whole thing, he told me he didn't want to do it, gave me his blessing to do it, and then I find out through a mutual friend they are still gonna work on it?

I had bought tickets to two WTT shows for us back in August. (One I was gonna take a girl too, but that didn't work out, so I told him he could go.) To the show he had planned to go when I was buying tickets, he hadn't fully paid me back yet. So I told him I was going to give him his money back, and take someone else, I was that pissed off. Also when I bought the tickets, he said he didn't wanna pay more than 130, but I wanted to be on the floor so I got us $200 tickets. So finally I go, "Whatever man, IDC who goes with me, as long as I get to go, now I have someone who is willing to buy your ticket, so you can either pay me the rest of the 200, or I can give you your money back." He's like, "Weren't they 130." So i hit him with the "Yeah, well that was when I thought we were really good friends, but I'm taking your advice and not mixing friendship with business, so its 200." He agrees to pay it.

Next morning I wake up to a text from him "Sorry to flip flop, but I might not be able to go, Joz (his ex girlfriend of 6 years who he was living with) is no longer with us on this Earth." I dont even know what to say to him, so all I can say is sorry. That instant, all beef was thrown out, and I did the best I could to be as good of a friend as I could for him, and support him. He wasn't taking it well. He apologized for being a crappy friend as well.

At the first show, we kind of agreed that we wanted to work on the shirts again. But didn't talk about it to much, so whatever. But between the funeral, and going to the two WTT shows, we were good again. Also awhile back, I randomly wrote a song to one of their beats, and they both thought it was really good. So he told me to write 5 songs, and we could try to record them sometime. I didn't really have any confidence in myself with it, but he did so whatever, I thought I'd give it a shot. The more I got into it, the more I wanted to try and at least record, just to see how it'd turn out. He keeps telling me, oh yeah we will get together tomorrow and do it, and never happens. So again, I get the run around, the same way I did with the shirts. At what point do you say screw it and just cut ties with someone? I'm just getting to the point where his word means nothing to me.

Originally Posted by Boi

Cragmatic wrote:
I just need to vent right now, and the advice of some NTers would be nice. It's kind of a long story for everything to make sense...but I'll try to be as short as possible.

So this year I became pretty close with one of my old friends from HS. We were never super tight, but we always had a connection in the way that we have always had the EXACT same taste in music. I would say I was at him and his girls apartment at least 5/7 days a week during the summer. We went to Milwaukee together to see Kanye at Summerfest, as well as many other shows together. During the course of the year we became pretty close. A few months back, after a night of
pimp.gif
, we kinda constructed this idea that we wanted to design and sell shirts. We had everything planned out, a brand name, a brand statement, a story behind it, and a few designs to start with. Now don't get me wrong, I never thought this was a guaranteed success, but I wanted to give it an attempt.

Dude kept telling me we would work on it, and it never would happen. Instead he was either with his side girl, or making music with his co-producer. Now I understand he has other things to do, but the fact he would consistently tell me we would do something, and then would flake every time we had a plan, I got a little annoyed. I finally called him out and we kind of had a small falling out. He claimed I was "mixing business with friendship." And I kept saying, well you should have enough respect for me as a friend to not ditch plans as a business partner. Eventually after leading me to believe we were gonna work on this for weeks, he told me he was more interested in music, but if I wanted to do it on my own I was more than welcome to.

A few days later (about a week and 2 days before thanksgiving) we make plans, and again dude completely ditches me. So I'm like, ok so before it was cool to ditch me for whatever reason because it was "business." But when we are supposed to just chill as friends, you still do it? I blew up on him a little bit. And of course he thought he did nothing wrong. So a few days later I run into K, his co-producer, and he goes "I gotta talk to you about visuals for the shirt." and I'm like well I was told you guys weren't interested in doing it anymore, and he goes "No, he's on his way over right now to work on it." So I just blow up on my friend, I felt so betrayed over the whole thing, he told me he didn't want to do it, gave me his blessing to do it, and then I find out through a mutual friend they are still gonna work on it?

I had bought tickets to two WTT shows for us back in August. (One I was gonna take a girl too, but that didn't work out, so I told him he could go.) To the show he had planned to go when I was buying tickets, he hadn't fully paid me back yet. So I told him I was going to give him his money back, and take someone else, I was that pissed off. Also when I bought the tickets, he said he didn't wanna pay more than 130, but I wanted to be on the floor so I got us $200 tickets. So finally I go, "Whatever man, IDC who goes with me, as long as I get to go, now I have someone who is willing to buy your ticket, so you can either pay me the rest of the 200, or I can give you your money back." He's like, "Weren't they 130." So i hit him with the "Yeah, well that was when I thought we were really good friends, but I'm taking your advice and not mixing friendship with business, so its 200." He agrees to pay it.

Next morning I wake up to a text from him "Sorry to flip flop, but I might not be able to go, Joz (his ex girlfriend of 6 years who he was living with) is no longer with us on this Earth." I dont even know what to say to him, so all I can say is sorry. That instant, all beef was thrown out, and I did the best I could to be as good of a friend as I could for him, and support him. He wasn't taking it well. He apologized for being a crappy friend as well.

At the first show, we kind of agreed that we wanted to work on the shirts again. But didn't talk about it to much, so whatever. But between the funeral, and going to the two WTT shows, we were good again. Also awhile back, I randomly wrote a song to one of their beats, and they both thought it was really good. So he told me to write 5 songs, and we could try to record them sometime. I didn't really have any confidence in myself with it, but he did so whatever, I thought I'd give it a shot. The more I got into it, the more I wanted to try and at least record, just to see how it'd turn out. He keeps telling me, oh yeah we will get together tomorrow and do it, and never happens. So again, I get the run around, the same way I did with the shirts. At what point do you say screw it and just cut ties with someone? I'm just getting to the point where his word means nothing to me.
indifferent.gif

roll.gif

Cragmatic wrote:

pimp.gif

indifferent.gif

Skimmed thru it I think I know where you're coming from

I have a similar friend, I didnt cut ties with him..but there are some things I dont discuss with him anymore just because I know he'll flake or do some dumb #%!#

but my "friend" never went behind my back like yours if I skimmed correctly, can't trust that

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

I have a similar friend, I didnt cut ties with him..but there are some things I dont discuss with him anymore just because I know he'll flake or do some dumb %%$%

but my "friend" never went behind my back like yours if I skimmed correctly, can't trust that

Thanks for an actual response. Appreciate it.

The messed up part is, the only reason we became tight again and I forgave all the BS he did was because his ex, who was a close friend of mine as well, passed away.

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

cmon, you have to give me some cliffs bro

-Me and my friend came up with an idea to start a t-shirt company/brand
-My friend makes music.
-My friend would constantly flake when we had plans to work on our shirts because he'd rather be making music
-Tells me I can work on it on my own, he continues to flake as a friend, I find out from a mutual friend they were still gonna work on the shirts.
-Had bought us WTT tickets back in August that he hadn't paid in full on yet, was gonna give his ticket to someone else.
-His Ex of 6 years who was also a good friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, we became tight again given the circumstances...
-Went to WTT, had a blast, dude actually went on a 3 minute rant about how good of a friend I am while he was drunk.
-Back to doin the same old stuff again that he was before.

That is the quickest way to sum it up lol.

roll.gif
@ Boi for crossing yor stuff out.

To answer though, I'm not sure to be honest. 2 of my best friends have been cool and down since 99.
Wouldn't know what to do with a bunch of stuff like that. If you cut ties with him, I wouldn't outright
do it, instead I'd just gradually not talk to him for awhile, cause sooner or later, ya'll will kick it again.
I'm just sayin that based on my dad's best friends. Sometimes he won't see any of them for years at
a time. And when they pop back up, everythin gis still all good.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

roll.gif
@ Boi for crossing yor stuff out.

To answer though, I'm not sure to be honest. 2 of my best friends have been cool and down since 99.
Wouldn't know what to do with a bunch of stuff like that. If you cut ties with him, I wouldn't outright
do it, instead I'd just gradually not talk to him for awhile, cause sooner or later, ya'll will kick it again.
I'm just sayin that based on my dad's best friends. Sometimes he won't see any of them for years at
a time. And when they pop back up, everythin gis still all good.

Yeah, I mean I wasn't planning to blow up on him again or anything. Just not go outta my way to chill with him anymore. Or when he hits me up, just tell him I'm busy. That kind of thing.

I wouldn't depend on him when it comes to money but I would still hang with him. How did his ex die BTW?

Now you know what to expect out of the guy. You either learn to deal with him only as a friend and not take on "business ventures" to keep the friendship kosher. Or, you can try to mix the friendship with business again and understand that the past is a very good indicator of what will happen. Some people will talk good game, but that's what it is, talk.

From what you've shared, it looks like you're much more driven to make moves than he is, so it'd probably be best to find someone who is just as driven as you are or go solo.

To answer your question, I wouldn't necessarily cut ties if you guys are close, maybe just chill less often and find some other good people to hang with. I'm the type of person who doesn't cut ties unless they did me dirty. After that, there's no coming back.

BTW: Props for supporting a friend during a time of need, seems like you're investing more into the friendship than he is or you're just lower on his list of priorities.

Good luck OP.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

cmon, you have to give me some cliffs bro

-Me and my friend came up with an idea to start a t-shirt company/brand
-My friend makes music.
-My friend would constantly flake when we had plans to work on our shirts because he'd rather be making music
-Tells me I can work on it on my own, he continues to flake as a friend, I find out from a mutual friend they were still gonna work on the shirts.
-Had bought us WTT tickets back in August that he hadn't paid in full on yet, was gonna give his ticket to someone else.
-His Ex of 6 years who was also a good friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, we became tight again given the circumstances...
-Went to WTT, had a blast, dude actually went on a 3 minute rant about how good of a friend I am while he was drunk.
-Back to doin the same old stuff again that he was before.

That is the quickest way to sum it up lol.
def cut ties just gradually stop talking to him
dude seems like he always wants to do his own thing unless you got something cool planned
i had 3 bestfriends like this later on they always wanted to do their own thing and stopped hitting me up i was like alright i see how it is stopped talking to them now they only wanna hit me up when they need something
then i hit em with the
tumblr_lo1gcywJPD1qhvt97o1_250.png

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

stop trying to work with him.

It just blows my mind how when it comes to working with other people on their music, he is on his grind. But just lets me go to the wayside.

eyes.gif

Oh well. I know better now I guess.

Read the whole thing..

I have a "friend" just like that, I think we all do. Dude will flake literally moments before we're supposed to chill and act like nothing happened. I've cut ties before and gone through the whole "apology" thing and back, but realized I just gotta take it for what it is. I put zero stock into anything he says and give him the same treatment he gives me. Doesn't mean we can't chop it up and smoke a blunt..dude is just acquaintance status.

I don't suggest trying to change people like this and going off/lecturing them. It will not work. They are who they are. Put yourself first and everything else will fall into place.

Props on being there for him during a tough time despite your differences

Was best friends with this dude for the first 3 years of high school (went to the same grammar school and started chilling in 8th grade), but then we kinda just fell out of touch. We still mad cool and chill sometimes, but we be just doin our own thing.

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

I have a similar friend, I didnt cut ties with him..but there are some things I dont discuss with him anymore just because I know he'll flake or do some dumb #%!#

one of my best friends..is exactly like that.. he only look out for himself.. I didn't cut ties.. because I know him for 15+ years..

Originally Posted by Boi

Cragmatic wrote:

pimp.gif

indifferent.gif

13ym8hl.jpg

i cut ties with my best friend since 6th grade... 14 years deep.

dude got super shady all of a sudden... would flake and not give a reason, wouldn't return calls & texts, etc. i showed up at his house like "bro, what the fruit?" and never got an explanation but all was forgiven.

then i got stranded downtown drunk after missing the last train. i called him to see if he could scoop me up and got "yeah, i'll be there" and nothing. after 3 hours i called and got the ignore button. i finally get ahold of a mutual friend and he comes & gets me. we get back to his spot and there my boy is. i ask him WTFBRO and i get a "oh, i got busy, my bad".

now this is the dude that called me once and asked me to open my garage door. i didn't ask why but he came screaming in on his bike and after the door shut i hear cops tearing up the streets outside looking for him. i mean they had the helicopter out and all that. he was speeding with a suspended license with fake plates and didn't want to stop. i took him home the next morning no questions asked. same kid that i lent my truck to and it came back with a dent the size of a butt and no explanation, just cash. principle.

so after his reply i CLOCKED him and called a cab home. i saw him about a year later at my job and he came up like nothing happened all :cD and i just said "whatupdoe" and kept it moving. my brother still keeps in touch with him and said he wants me at his wedding... i sent a card saying congrats but no thanks.

it sucks, because i pretty much grew up with that kid but enough is enough.

Originally Posted by Boi

Cragmatic wrote:

pimp.gif

indifferent.gif

I came in here just to see all the "didnt read lol" jokes. This had me 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 for minutes

Back
Top Bottom