NT I'm Worried About College Vol. What are my chances (pics)

So surfing teh interwebs, I happened to find this website http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/, it'spretty much the NT of talking about college and getting in. I"m scared as balls now. It's like all of them have a 3.9/4.0 2250
I'm Black, go to a decent school in Montgomery County, Maryland. I'm a junior and have messed around a bit freshman and junior years with the GPA.However, I'm in the IB program and have since entering middle school always taken the highest classes. This really isn't to sound lofty or anything butI'm concerned I might not get into the schools I want to and be considered a fail by the fam.

I'd like to go to either of these: UVA, Washington University St. Louis, UMD (in state), William and Mary, Pepperdine, a few others

As of today: GPA unweighted: 2.93
weighted: 3.64

Here is my transcript:
28mirg1.jpg

idk about those other schools, but i got into Pepperdine with a 2.2 GPA (weighted
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif
853157e596ab25e1e6f076e431e417ee8471782.gif
)
I did have pretty high SAT/AP scores though.
College acceptance isn't a clearcut thing. Just apply and hope for the best.

collegeconfidential will take a dip to your self-esteem with so many dudes posting godly stats up there.
laugh.gif

so don't sweat it. you'll be fine...there's a lot like you in your situation.

Originally Posted by acidicality

collegeconfidential will take a dip to your self-esteem with so many dudes posting godly stats up there.
laugh.gif

That's the thing man, I feel like there are so many applicants and I'm just another.

That site is terrible, and they run sooo deep.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Don't go to cc.
That place is full of freaks.
pimp.gif

female freaks especially at MC. I live in Montgomery too and i know a lot of ppl that have gotten into Maryland with your type of grades. Do you have anyextracurriculars? What was your SAT? What school are you graduating from?

Springbrook '07

Yeah stay away from CollegeConfidential.

That place is filled with overachievers, worrywarts, and parents of perfect children.

You're gonna be fine man and you're gonna end up in the place you belong so don't fret.

despite the fact that you are black i don't think you'll get into uva or w&m (especially out of state)...you have too many Cs. what are your testscores? btw i go to w&m now.

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Don't go to cc.
pimp.gif

female freaks especially at MC. I live in Montgomery too and i know a lot of ppl that have gotten into Maryland with your type of grades. Do you have any extracurriculars? What was your SAT? What school are you graduating from?

Springbrook '07
I think he meant collegeconfidential, the website.

Springbrook '10 here. Who from '07 went to MD on a 2.9/3?

MF Doomer, I'm taking the SAT in June but my PSAT scores I got today and they're on my lap.

Critical Reading-62(0)
Mathematics-67(0)
Writing Skills-62(0)
Percentile which compares performance with college-bound juniors is 93.

Total-191(0)

Since I'll be applying before the end of the first semester senior year, I'm hoping to apply on a 3 unweighted, 3.7 weighted provided I do well thisquarter. I feel like I should have taken easier classes though, some of my friends in "honors" are rolling 3.7's and they don't do anything.I slack too but my classes are still harder and they still get the weight since the class is "honors."

Originally Posted by NolanDW

despite the fact that you are black i don't think you'll get into uva or w&m (especially out of state)...you have too many Cs. what are your test scores? btw i go to w&m now.
this is pretty much what i need to hear, all you guys telling me i'll be fine, no i won't uva's applicant pool increased (read it inthe post)

Nolan, where do you suggest i do apply?

Originally Posted by nicefro

Don't go to cc.
pimp.gif

female freaks especially at MC. I live in Montgomery too and i know a lot of ppl that have gotten into Maryland with your type of grades. Do you have any extracurriculars? What was your SAT? What school are you graduating from?

Springbrook '07

MF Doomer, I'm taking the SAT in June but my PSAT scores I got today and they're on my lap.

Critical Reading-62(0)
Mathematics-67(0)
Writing Skills-62(0)

Total-191(0)

Since I'll be applying before the end of the first semester senior year, I'm hoping to apply on a 3 unweighted, 3.7 weighted provided I do well this quarter. I feel like I should have taken easier classes though, some of my friends in "honors" are rolling 3.7's and they don't do anything. I slack too but my classes are still harder and they still get the weight since the class is "honors."
Are your IB classes that tough? Im a senior in IB down here and a good deal of the classes were slack so I have a high weighted GPA. Being an IBcandidate should help you out a bit when applying though- regardless of receiving the diploma.

Don't go to cc.
pimp.gif

Springbrook '07
True story.
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Don't go to cc.
pimp.gif

Springbrook '07

Critical Reading-62(0)
Mathematics-67(0)
Writing Skills-62(0)

Total-191(0)

Since I'll be applying before the end of the first semester senior year, I'm hoping to apply on a 3 unweighted, 3.7 weighted provided I do well this quarter. I feel like I should have taken easier classes though, some of my friends in "honors" are rolling 3.7's and they don't do anything. I slack too but my classes are still harder and they still get the weight since the class is "honors."

i dont care what he meant i stick by my original statement. trust me a lot of kids that went to maryland werent doing that well but what i meant was yourweighted grades mostly cuz i know they consider that a lot. besides they accept kids from MC with 2.5s and what not so i know their standards aren't high.

True story.
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

small world i guess. lol

college is wayyy over-hyped and people make it so much more stressful than it has to be

if you don't get in where you want at first, go to a local cc for a semester get your grades up and transfer.

yes its really that simple

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

Your sat is what's going to determine eligibility. 1300+ is ideal.
yeah dont trip too much on gpa . . . also u need extracurricular #$%% like athletics, band, clubs, volunteering, etc. my cousin got into UCLAwith only a 3.2 overal gpa (and i had a neighbor who got rejected from there and she had over a 4.0) but she had a buncha extra stuff

I think your ok cause your shooting for state school. You will be accepted somewhere. Try and get a bunch of volunteer hours before submitting your applicationand write the additional essays.

Originally Posted by NolanDW

despite the fact that you are black i don't think you'll get into uva or w&m (especially out of state)...you have too many Cs. what are your test scores? btw i go to w&m now.
this is pretty much what i need to hear, all you guys telling me i'll be fine, no i won't uva's applicant pool increased (read it in the post)

Nolan, where do you suggest i do apply?
don't trip too much about the grades; my grades were actually less than stellar (i got in through waitlist, but i was in-state). class rank ismore important (shoot for top 10%)
because of grade inflation. i was in the same situation as you pretty much, i took the hardest classes because i know the other ones would just be boring andbusy work.
it showed in my transcript (2 Ds and a C, all in AP classes). i did get pretty good test scores (perfect SAT Math, perfect SAT II math), and it looks like yourpsats are
real good too. a lot of schools are taking less emphasis on the SATs though.

i would just advise to finish up junior year real strong (like get all As if you can), because junior year is the last full year colleges will really see whenyou apply. my junior
year was weak so some schools i should have gotten into i got rejected or waitlisted.

if you really wanna apply to W&M i think you should, they take less emphasis on numbers and more on the person. i learned my lesson in high school thoughand despite
being a "wait-list" i made it on the dean's list last semester and have a higher gpa than the average w&m student so i'm basically set.it's still a slim chance though because
you're out of state, but you are black.

uva however, i called them up about my admissions decision and they said they were hesitant to admit people with one C, much less Ds, which is why i'mdoubting
you--it's what i heard first hand from an admissions person. ended up being a blessing in disguise though because i love it here and it's kindasuperficial there.

please, for the love of god, STAY AWAY from collegeconfidential.com. reading those posts will drive you into depression. people on that site are OBSESSED withgetting into college. just try to maintain an A/B average, take a bunch of full length SAT tests/enroll in a prep course, make sure you get good rec lettersfrom 2-3 teachers, and pay attention to your college essays. GL

Originally Posted by acidicality

laugh.gif

That's the thing man, I feel like there are so many applicants and I'm just another.

That site is terrible, and they run sooo deep.
My point was that, there's a lot of people like you with your same stats, similar stuff, and they all get into the college they wanna go toone way or another. It's hard not to be anxious, but it'll work itself out in the end.

Just apply to somewhere you like with not as high of standards. The real world doesn't care about where you came from, it's what you can do... go to astate school and have a blast.

So surfing teh interwebs, I happened to find this website http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/,http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/, it's pretty much the NT of talking about college and getting in. I"m scared as balls now. It's like all of them have a 3.9/4.0 2250
I'm Black, go to a decent school in Montgomery County, Maryland. I'm a junior and have messed around a bit freshman and junior years with the GPA. However, I'm in the IB program and have since entering middle school always taken the highest classes. This really isn't to sound lofty or anything but I'm concerned I might not get into the schools I want to and be considered a fail by the fam.

I'd like to go to either of these: UVA, Washington University St. Louis, UMD (in state), William and Mary, Pepperdine, a few others

As of today: GPA unweighted: 2.93
weighted: 3.64
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If you can get in here, go!

Back
Top Bottom