NT Please help this Aussie on his first trip to America.

Hey guys, I'm planning my first trip to America early next year and I am wondering if you guys could share your experiences, give me ideas and help me put together a memorable trip of your beautiful country.

I'm going to be traveling with my girlfriend and we are looking to be going around april/may for two months. I am really into sport and have never watched any American sport live, I love basketball and would love to watch a few games live.

What are the must do's? We have broken the trip so far into 3 states, NY, Florida, CALI but there are so many great places we are struggling to pick and choose.

Appreciate any replies and if anyone wants to know about Australia I would be more than happy to tell you about it!

Originally Posted by georgehimself

The best hotels are on Compton Blvd. Also there are some nice brunch places in Watts.

tryna get this man killed? 
laugh.gif

Pretty inexpensive things include catching baseball games, but depending on the city basketball tickets go cheap. NY and Cali have some of the top landmarks.
Have any idea of specific cities?

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Pretty inexpensive things include catching baseball games, but depending on the city basketball tickets go cheap. NY and Cali have some of the top landmarks.
Have any idea of specific cities?
Thank you for the reply. I'm prepared to pay a decent amount for good seats for a game, what are the price ranges generally? The main issue I have is deciding how long to spend in various cities and making sure I make the most of my time there. In Cali I'm looking at LA, San Fran, San Diego.

When you are in Cali you should check out Yosemite and maybe make a drive to the Grand Canyon.

if you're looking for elegant accommodations in NY, I'd suggest Brownsville or perhaps Hunts Point.

Welcome to New York.

Australia > US.

I mean if you live in Sydney or Melbourne and have been to the Gold Coast/The Reef/Hamilton Island, there really isn't much to wow you in the US. Australia has the better beaches, so going to Cali + Florida isn't really worth it... you'll be better off going to NYC since it really is a one of a kind city.

since nba is in playoffs tickets will go $100 range a ticket (esp lakers/heat). you can probably find decent seats for cheap for clipper games. as of LA, you can check out santa monica pier, hollywood, universal studios/disney land and griffith observatory. food in LA is great since you have so many different ethnic foods to choose from.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Australia > US.

I mean if you live in Sydney or Melbourne and have been to the Gold Coast/The Reef/Hamilton Island, there really isn't much to wow you in the US. Australia has the better beaches, so going to Cali + Florida isn't really worth it... you'll be better off going to NYC since it really is a one of a kind city.

I have been to all the places my country has to offer. I'm really looking forward to going to America, I have no doubt America has places that would "wow" me. What about Niagra falls? Also the cities itself would be different, most of our cities are ant sized compared to yours. NYC is definitely on the cards - how long would be a good time to spend there, 2 weeks?

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

since nba is in playoffs tickets will go $100 range a ticket (esp lakers/heat). you can probably find decent seats for cheap for clipper games. as of LA, you can check out santa monica pier, hollywood, universal studios/disney land and griffith observatory. food in LA is great since you have so many different ethnic foods to choose from.

play offs always begin end of april/early may? i'm more than happy to pay around the $300-400 a ticket for a Laker or Heat game - will that money get be far in terms of seating?

maybe i could catch a few games before playoffs, would it be difficult finding tickets during playoffs? that would be an experience in itself.

great man thanks so much for the suggestions, vegas will definitely be on the cards too is it better to fly or drive there?

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

When you are in Cali you should check out Yosemite and maybe make a drive to the Grand Canyon.

Would that be a day trip? Would we stay over night somewhere? My girlfriend is afraid of flying in a small plane is there other ways to enjoy the Grand Canyon?

Originally Posted by therealdealau

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

play offs always begin end of april/early may? i'm more than happy to pay around the $300-400 a ticket for a Laker or Heat game - will that money get be far in terms of seating?

maybe i could catch a few games before playoffs, would it be difficult finding tickets during playoffs? that would be an experience in itself.

great man thanks so much for the suggestions, vegas will definitely be on the cards too is it better to fly or drive there?
If you are going before the playoffs start you will have some damn good seats  for 300-400
laugh.gif

Would that be a day trip? Would we stay over night somewhere? My girlfriend is afraid of flying in a small plane is there other ways to enjoy the Grand Canyon?

From LA its like a 7 hour drive. I'd probably spend like 2 days there. You don't need to fly around the Grand Canyon. Just seeing it is kinda nuts
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bandit Country

As an arrogant life long New Yorker, two weeks is too long. 
I guess we do not want to be rushing around everywhere to make sure we get everything done, how many days would you suggest?

What else is in the vicinity that could be good for a day trip? Washington?

If you are going before the playoffs start you will have some damn good seats  for 300-400
laugh.gif

I guess my main concern with that is you get those dud games where teams are resting players etc. Is it hard to get seats during the playoffs?

Born and raised in san diego, if you ever head this direction pm me ill give you ideas of where you wanna go

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

Born and raised in san diego, if you ever head this direction pm me ill give you ideas of where you wanna go
I have heard nothing but great things from mates that have been there. What words would you use to describe San Diego, is it more on the chilled/relaxing side? Thank you for your offer, I'll definitely be pming you if we decide on heading to SD. I like the chargers!

laugh.gif

I guess my main concern with that is you get those dud games where teams are resting players etc. Is it hard to get seats during the playoffs?
Eh not really. It'll be hard to get a good deal, but with your budget you will be ok. Like for the Lakers next game there are a pair of 15th row sideline seats for 375 each.

Oi

American sports are trash compared to what you got over there mate! Quade Cooper is my favorite player, so yes I'm biased
But I would say that a playoff basketball game would be an awesome experience for you

The rugby here is *!!#, and there's definitely no footy haha

And I second the notion of going to Yosemite
Used to go every year- an amazing place. If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love it there bro

laugh.gif

Eh not really. It'll be hard to get a good deal, but with your budget you will be ok. Like for the Lakers next game there are a pair of 15th row sideline seats for 375 each.
Awesome. What is the best place to purchase tickets from? Through the teams website?

hey man, yea there are too many places in the USA to choose from. NYC, LA, Miami are top then you have DC, San Francisco, and so on. Niagara Falls is nice, especially if you can go to the Canadian side, which is much nicer than its American counterpart unfortunately, and Buffalo (25 minutes from Niagara) doesn't have much to offer, although it is worthwhile checking out, they have some awesome chicken wings and pizza.
 So now, I have some questions for you about Australia, as I am looking to visit there soon as well. Is Melbourne the top spot? When is the best time to go?do I also need to see Sydney? and just out of curiosity, how are racial affairs over there? what is the ratio of whites to others, and how is the economy? I met a girl from Melbourne recently, and she was pretty much trying to convince me to move there lol

what else other than sports are you guys into? theme parks? food? i can tell you what's good in Cali

Originally Posted by calikev34

Oi

American sports are trash compared to what you got over there mate! Quade Cooper is my favorite player, so yes I'm biased
But I would say that a playoff basketball game would be an awesome experience for you

The rugby here is *!!#, and there's definitely no footy haha

And I second the notion of going to Yosemite
Used to go every year- an amazing place. If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll love it there bro
G'day mate, you are an American who loves rugby? Crazy! Do you follow rugby league as well?

Old mate Quade got a bit of a grilling over here in some of his performances but he has played some great games for us. I love rugby and footy (AFL) but i've grown up with it and going to games every weekend is just a usual day out for me. I want to see an NBA game in the flesh, I think it would be unreal.

Would Yosemite be a day trip?

Back
Top Bottom