NT Please help this Aussie on his first trip to America.

Those suggesting Yosemite have it right. That place is magical. No where else quite like it.

I go to university in San Diego right now. I'd suggest spending about 4-5 days tops. There isn't honestly that much to do and you'll have been able to see everything in that time. You can visit Mexico (Tijuana) by driving or taking the trolley there. Spend more time in the San Francisco Bay Area and, if you must, Los Angeles. It might sound excessive but I'd say spend two weeks (if you can) in the Bay Area. You can take your time exploring San Francisco and you're bound to fall in love with the place. It's a small city but it has a ton to offer as far as things to do and see. You can drive up to Napa Valley and visit one of the United States' most famed wine producing regions. If wine's not your thing, there are great breweries and some of the best restaurants in the country are in the region too. You can also take day trips down to Monterey and Santa Cruz. Yosemite is a four hour drive east of the Bay Area. You can catch Golden State Warriors basketball and San Jose Sharks hockey games too.

Originally Posted by therealdealau

Originally Posted by black chiney

Miami is dope.
Check out Overtown and Opa-Locka if you come here.

Keen for Miami, what is the weather like in April/May? Would staying on South Beach be the way to go?
dude is trying to send you to the hood.  don't listen to him.

i'd go to california and get a car.  there really isn't a whole lot in florida except south fl and two weeks is too long.  i'd go to california and hit socal and norcal also vegas.  maybe head up to the pacific northwest or hit some national parks out west.

Originally Posted by Bandit Country

I don't like basketball, but the atmosphere at the Garden is incredible and you should definitely try to get to a Rangers or Knicks game. I can't speak much for hotels, but like I said, everything you'd want to see in Manhattan is accessible by cab or subway, so location isn't SUPER important. They'll probably try to bang you over the head when it comes to prices for a trendy neighborhood and I'd avoid staying near TImes Square just because it's insanely packed every second of every day and you won't want to deal with that $+*+ after a long day on your feet. Even most of the places I mentioned in Brooklyn are close to the river (Not Coney or L&B)

Awesome man, I cant wait to be in your city. What about concerts of music artists and things like that are they going on often in NYC?

Not a suggestion here but,

I went to Australia a couple years ago (Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne), I suggest everyone who has never been to plan a trip ASAP. Amazing place, the people are awesome and friendly. Considered moving there the day I got back
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Sk8edDunks

If someone greets you with, "Wud up BLOOD!?" you reply, "Nothing, Cuz!"

Would "G'day mate, not doing much cobba just lookin for some tucker." be a decent reply?
laugh.gif
I like this guy.

Check out San Francisco if you've got the time and money (already assume you do).

Originally Posted by Shahin1189

Hey, Thanks a lot for the Info! I am definitely more excited about making the Australia trip now, and I hear the outbacks are also a must see. So the trip would probably also have to be rather longer than shorter. But yes, it seems from my experience that Australian people are certainly very social, and enjoy meeting new people, which I like.
But to your question, Niagara Falls is about a 8 hour drive west of NYC, and 2 hours from Toronto, so if you are able to criss cross boarders, you might as well check out parts of Canada such as their Niagara Falls and Toronto, maybe even Montreal if you are in the New England area. Buffalo is the metropolitan area where Niagara Falls is, and they have a nice mall, but the must see is certainly the Falls, which people come from all over the world to see, but from the Canadia side you get a much nicer view, and their tourist area(Clifton Hill) is much livelier than the american side, where there are few people. There is also a nice small town called Niagara on the Lake, that would be nice to stroll around on the Canadian side. I used to live in Buffalo, so I've been to Canada plenty of times.
Now I live in DC, and I feel like it is a very underrated city. It's very clean, and it's unique in the fact that there are no skycraper buildings, but it has several very lively urban areas, that you could explore. It's only a 4 hour drive at most from NYC and you can even take the bus for cheap from NYC to DC and back, so I would certainly recommend visiting DC. After all, this is where all the Presidents live, and all the foreign ambassadors as well. There are plenty of Monuments to see. Feel free to hit me up, if you have any more questions!

Definitely come to Aus man, thanks for your info. I am really considering DC I just hope we have enough time in 2 months to do all these things.

Hit me up if you plan on coming to Australia, I'll give you more details! Cheers mate.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Originally Posted by black chiney

Miami is dope.
Check out Overtown and Opa-Locka if you come here.

Keen for Miami, what is the weather like in April/May? Would staying on South Beach be the way to go?

i'd go to california and get a car.  there really isn't a whole lot in florida except south fl and two weeks is too long.  i'd go to california and hit socal and norcal also vegas.  maybe head up to the pacific northwest or hit some national parks out west.
Appreciate the look out, I cant tell if guys are being helpful or not. Cheers for looking out. Do you think driving would be key for getting around Cali? What about a drive from Cali to Florida?

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

I went to Australia a couple years ago (Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne), I suggest everyone who has never been to plan a trip ASAP. Amazing place, the people are awesome and friendly. Considered moving there the day I got back
laugh.gif
Definitely agree with you, I migrated to Australia from England when I was a young and have experienced most of what my country has to offer and it is incredible. I recommend a visit for sure. Did you check out the Gold Coast/Great Barrier Reef when you were in Brissy?

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by Sk8edDunks

If someone greets you with, "Wud up BLOOD!?" you reply, "Nothing, Cuz!"

Would "G'day mate, not doing much cobba just lookin for some tucker." be a decent reply?
laugh.gif
I like this guy.

Check out San Francisco if you've got the time and money (already assume you do).
embarassed.gif

Definitely keen on San Fran too, I think most of the time we have will be spent on the West Coast it seems. We have 2 months to get the most out of America. How far is San Fran from LA?

laugh.gif
Word, I have family down in Sydney and I stayed down there for a month in 09.  Australia is beautiful and the weather is perfect, fell in love with it immediately.  They have some of the world's best beaches down there (Bondi, Manly, Gold Coast) and the women are bomb.  Is it difficult to apply and get accepted for a Australian citizenship? 

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Appreciate the look out, I cant tell if guys are being helpful or not. Cheers for looking out. Do you think driving would be key for getting around Cali? What about a drive from Cali to Florida?
yeah, you need a car in cali for sure.  cali to fl would be a huge waste of a few days. better just to fly.  but if you did california with a car you could see the whole west coast or else hit yosemite or some other parks like someone else said.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

laugh.gif
Word, I have family down in Sydney and I stayed down there for a month in 09.  Australia is beautiful and the weather is perfect, fell in love with it immediately.  They have some of the world's best beaches down there (Bondi, Manly, Gold Coast) and the women are bomb.  Is it difficult to apply and get accepted for a Australian citizenship? 
Bondi is amazing as is the Gold Coast. Next time your back you should head to North Queensland
pimp.gif

Not too sure about the citizenship situation, but I would say it wouldn't be too hard. You could just find a perfect Australian babe and marry her? I couldn't see many issues arising in that situation
smile.gif

laugh.gif
Definitely agree with you, I migrated to Australia from England when I was a young and have experienced most of what my country has to offer and it is incredible. I recommend a visit for sure. Did you check out the Gold Coast/Great Barrier Reef when you were in Brissy?
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to. Next time for sure though.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

laugh.gif
I like this guy.

embarassed.gif

Definitely keen on San Fran too, I think most of the time we have will be spent on the West Coast it seems. We have 2 months to get the most out of America. How far is San Fran from LA?

About a 7 hour drive depending on traffic.

I'm convinced OP is trolling! How is his English so good? When I see Australians on tv they never sound like this.

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

I'm convinced OP is trolling! How is his English so good? When I see Australians on tv they never sound like this.
G'day Tupac, I assure you I am not trolling. Honestly I am trying to sound as literate as possible to get the best replies and not seem like a degenerate. However after a few VB's (Victoria Bitter) at me mate Dingo's barbie this arvo literacy will be out the flamin' window and we'll be arkin up at the Sheila's to keep bringing us that good tucker from down under brother.

1 week in Florida is enough, spend a couple of days in Orlando and visit disney world, universal, and seaworld 3 theme parks you'll really enjoy

then you can drive down to Miami which is only about a 3 hour drive 

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

G'day Tupac, I assure you I am not trolling. Honestly I am trying to sound as literate as possible to get the best replies and not seem like a degenerate. However after a few VB's (Victoria Bitter) at me mate Dingo's barbie this arvo literacy will be out the flamin' window and we'll be arkin up at the Sheila's to keep bringing us that good tucker from down under brother.

Flamin' struth.

I'm ashamed to admit that I understood all of that.
laugh.gif

Hi from New Zealand! Post pics when you get back! I really want to travel all over the states and actually see the country, not just the standard places like NYC, LA, Las Vegas etc.

you can skip florida altogether. seriously
theres nothing real to see there
maybe a day or two in south beach, at most

and Im not tryna come at the poster above me,
but if youve come all the way from Australia you dont need to be wasting any time at the amusement parks
spend your time in real cities with real people, getting some real food
I would drop Fla from your original post and switch in Chicago

if u visit san diego, i say go to mt. soledad for the view of the city, i would think that u would really not care to visit the beaches much since aus. has some nice beaches already but another place to see in san diego would be in the downtown area if u want some food or want to see the seaport village/ san diego harbor or drive over the bridge to coronado island and park at the ferry landing area and walk around with views across the bay to downtown san diego or if u want to visit the "haunted" historic coronado hotel or stay there since its right next to the beach.. lolitas at the park(downtown)/lolitas in clairemont(best fries in san diego from wat ive had) , phils bbq on sports arena blvd, hodads in ocean beach(has longest pier on west coast but has many bums/pan handlers there but they dont bug u much/usually), piggys bbq in coronado(is good from wat i hear) smashburger in downtown

Back
Top Bottom