NT Producers/Engineers: tips and resources to improve your craft

The stickied thread seem to have come to a standstill, I figure I would go ahead and post my contributions here and try to get a more lively discussion going again.

ATTN CONTRIBUTORS: When sharing an article from the web please post direct links to articles with short description instead of the whole thing so we can keep the thread clean. Thanks!!

--------

For everyone doing the whole home budget studio thing, I highly recommend reading the following books:
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio, The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Mixing With Your Mind, Zen And The Art Of Mixing, Acoustic Design For The Home Studio

If you plan to be an engineer, the books I mentioned above are a must-read. For the producers, you'll find that it will be much, much easier to translate your ideas exactly as your mind imagines once you have a really solid understanding of sound and its properties. There's no getting around the mixing phase, you're gonna either have to get good at it yourself or find an engineer to translate your ideas into their full potential. Had I read those books when I first started as a producer I probably could have saved myself five years worth of chasing my own tail..

Create, Mix, Read, Repeat..

--------

-The room that you work in sets the tone for how well you will be able to mix. Sound is a wild beast to tame, and without a proper environment you will never truly understand what your mixes are doing; it is essentially the same as trying to paint a picture in an extremely dark room. You'll find that spending money on acoustic treatment for your room will seem to make all your other gear sound that much more expensive, which is a much more efficient means of progressing than buying high-end gear that will underperform due to an improper environment.

-Mixing is entirely relative, there are always two sides to the coin. If your snare is too loud, you can either turn everything else up or turn just the snare down. Mix smart, find the solutions that are most efficient for the problem.

-The volume balance sets the frame for the entire mix. If you want your 808 to be huge, it only makes sense to have it be the loudest sound in your mix. If you're going to make any sound particularly loud, there must be a very good reason as to why.

-Compression, by its very nature, makes sounds smaller. Think about this before you compress your drums..

-Tune everything.

-If you're not using every aspect of the frequency range in some form or fashion, your mix will sound outdated, lo-fi, rough draft etc.

--------

For those who have a hard time figuring out exactly what EQ, compression, reverb, etc do, here's my basic interpretations of the concepts..

EQ - Used to remedy issues with tone, or to give a sound a different tone.. in that sense it is somewhat related to pitch. A general rule of thumb is that cutting makes things sound "better", while boosting makes things sound "different"

Compression - Affects the "shape" of sound, squeezes it. Higher compression (lower thresholds, higher ratios) results in a sound that is more tight and firm, enabling a sound with less volume to punch through the mix more. Almost everything in my mixes undergoes some type of compression, but you typically want to compress "just enough"; it literally feels likes your squishing the life out of a sound if you compress too much. Finding the sweet spot compression-wise for each sound is where the artfulness comes in.

Reverb - Adds a spatial element to a given sound.. can be used as an effect (i.e. to place an artist in a certain type of room) or as treatment (i.e. to blend a sound into the beat more). You almost never place reverb directly on a channel insert unless you're going for a drastic effect; typically you will want to create a dedicated reverb channel that you will send sounds into. This also helps to give your mix a more unified sound as it places them all in the same "space". The more reverb that is applied to a sound, the further away it will seem.

--------

My general approach to mixing.. I get the volume balances figured out as best as I can, as that creates the foundation for where the mix is going to go.. Then I find the sounds that need compression and apply as necessary.. these are typically sounds that have too much variety in volume, or simply aren't punching through/sitting in the mix right. Once I have the shape of everything somewhat figured out, I will apply EQ in order to achieve more specific goals (give vocal more clarity, bring out more punch in the kick, etc). The point at which I apply reverb tends to vary, as it very much depends on the type of song.. for instance, if I'm doing something that sounds more like The Weeknd, you would expect that reverb would come into play sooner rather than later.. as opposed to say, mixing something like "Watch The Throne".

This formula is definitely not set in stone, there really are no rules to mixing..

--------

One last random tip for my FL Studio users who don't read the manual.. In the piano roll, if you set your "Snap" to "None", highlight a note and press Shift + Left Arrow/Right Arrow, it will nudge the note in that direction by the smallest possible increment, allowing for very precise adjustments. Extremely useful

--------

Hope you all find this helpful, I'll be revisiting this thread and contributing as much as I can..

That's wasup, thanks for the advice, this gave me more understanding to mixing. I knew every song needs to sound good, but it took me a very long time to realize, that every song has it's own ingredient. And reading this, pretty much proves it. mixing is a long process, and it's never going to have the same settings.
Also, I gotta check those books out. Thanks again for the post.

Anyone can help with patch phrasing on the mpc 2500? Even though I get the tempo correct there's still a delay when played back. Plus how do I control the release???

any free programs to master my track? im running and very amateur operation here

Originally Posted by solarius49

any free programs to master my track? im running and very amateur operation here

It is almost always worth it to put up the money and have a pro master your stuff, unless you are a sound god.. These people have been doing specifically mastering for years, with ears and an environment that is so much more precise than any of us can fathom. I too thought that I could do my own mastering, but I realized over time that I was damaging my tracks in a huge way by doing so; it was also making my mixing ability worse! It already takes years and years to become a great producer and/or engineer (twice that if both), imagine how much time and $$$ you'll need to spend learning mastering in order to be competitive at that level as well. It's really like trying to be player, coach, and GM all at the same time.

I find it much, much more efficient and gratifying to pay a ten year mastering genius a quick $40-$50 a track to work his magic on my stuff. It's a wild feeling sending your tracks off to mastering, knowing that you did everything you could to make this track sound as good as possible, but also knowing that when it gets sent back it will sound 100x better in ways you couldn't even comprehend. Given that I'm sending tracks off for mastering at least once every couple weeks !!!, it feels like Christmas all year round..

Work on getting your mixes and/or production game to perfection; that struggle is one that will take up the majority of your life already, if not all of it.

If you still wish to try your own mastering, it's not going to happen with a free program. Acquire Izotope Ozone, read the documentation VERY thoroughly, and start playing around with it. Also read "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz, that seems to be generally renowned as the mastering engineer's bible.

If you wish to try and find a mastering engineer to work with (it really is worth it, trust me), check out gearslutz.com and shop around for the best ME in your area.

Seriously, having a decent mix in a song makes a huge difference.

I used to have a link that had some good examples of how to eq everything. It showed some standard eq settings drums, what frequencies to boost/ cut for the kicks, snares, hi hats, and it gave some tips on how to set your compression, it was a good starting point for understanding how much of a difference eq'ing and compression sounds can have. I need to find that link again so I can post it here.

Originally Posted by oFLUo

Seriously, having a decent mix in a song makes a huge difference.

I used to have a link that had some good examples of how to eq everything. It showed some standard eq settings drums, what frequencies to boost/ cut for the kicks, snares, hi hats, and it gave some tips on how to set your compression, it was a good starting point for understanding how much of a difference eq'ing and compression sounds can have. I need to find that link again so I can post it here.

Here's a solid EQ reference chart..

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqfreq.php

Keep in mind these only give a guideline as to where to start, use your ears to make your final decisions.

Mike Dean (hip-hop producer/engineer/all around sound genius, currently plays a huge role in Kanye West's operation) drops some serious knowledge in this episode of Pensado's Place..

Originally Posted by BlackBenz

Guess no one uses mpcs anymore...

laugh.gif

True....but that new mpc they got coming out looks pretty dope
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by BlackBenz

Guess no one uses mpcs anymore...

LOL...I use the MPC 2500 but I dont use patch phrasing so I cant help you there. Not many of us mpc users left. Visit mpc-forums.com to all the help you can get.

I posted this on another message board:

You can get quality recordings with inexpensive equipment. If you don't have the budget for high grade equipment, I suggest investing in acoustic foam or a reflection filter or both and work on getting your room as quiet as possible. I have both and they make a difference.

I added some noise reduction curtains over the windows in my studio last night. Its so quiet now and it'll definitely show in recordings. When recording, try using in ear headphones or earbuds. It'll reduce the bleed to damn near nothing.

One of my homies only used an mbox, mic and a laptop and he had quality recordings. Don't worry about high priced gear right now. Check out American Musical's payment plans if you do want expensive gear though.

[h2]Getting Your Mix to...mix, Part One, EQ as event security.[/h2][h3]Mixing and Multitracking Articles[/h3] Contributed By blueninjastar
The first of a series dedicated to concepts and techniques to help your mixes to find that perfect blend of clarity, punch, character and definition.
Most of us have been familiar with EQs since long before we ever started recording audio in our home studios. The presence of EQs on home and car stereos has made it seem like we have a grasp on what they do and how to use them to improve the sound of our recordings. However, applying EQ appropriately to a stereo mix and using EQ to add definition and clarity in a multitrack recording are indeed, two different things entirely. In order to achieve the latter, you must gain a working knowledge of EQ Theory.

How many times have you mixed your latest number one hit only to find that the vocals seem buried in the mix? To bring them out more, you just need to turn them up a little, right? Well, not necessarily. In fact, doing this most often just places that vocal "on top

Originally Posted by Triple Homicide

I posted this on another message board:

You can get quality recordings with inexpensive equipment. If you don't
have the budget for high grade equipment, I suggest investing in
acoustic foam or a reflection filter or both and work on getting your
room as quiet as possible. I have both and they make a difference.

I added some noise reduction curtains over the windows in my studio last
night. Its so quiet now and it'll definitely show in recordings. When
recording, try using in ear headphones or earbuds. It'll reduce the
bleed to damn near nothing.

All solid advice. Reflexion filter, solid mic, A+ converters plus a semi-treated room should be enough to pull off real solid vocal recordings; I don't even have a reflexion filter yet and I'm very satisfied with my quality at this point.

I would say the most important piece in the signal chain is the audio interface-analog/digital conversion point; A cheap interface will have a $300 mic sounding like $20, while A+ convertors such as the ones on the Apogee Duet will have that same mic sounding like $1000.

My current recording setup consists of an AT4040 running into an Apogee Duet plugged into my Macbook Pro running REAPER; very simple, very mobile, total cost is less than a grand not including the computer. Here's a couple samples of my quality with this set up..

6S - The Edge ft Evans The Pedestrian by loendradio
6S - Changes ft By Nature & REEF by loendradio

Keep in mind that lately (in particular on "Watch The Throne") artists have ruled out working in professional-grade studio environments and switched to more mobile setups in various locations of the artist's choosing, so as to lower the risk of the project leaking; this puts them in essentially the same situations as us everyday people who are trying to assemble workable environments in our homes. Sign of the times..

Back
Top Bottom