NT producers: help i need a setup for production

as the title states can you guys post a good setup for a aspiring producer on a limited budget your help would be greatly appreciated

which is better fruityloops or reason

ive tried fruityloops before but not reason which is better?

im more of a hands on type person

Depends on what your doing. If your recording vocals etc, and want to do it legit...you need an interface for mic and xlr inputs. Firewire is really the bestway to do this because of audio data transfer speed.

I believe they have midi controllers with XLR inputs in the keyboards...but most of them use USB which IMO lags for anything except MIDI.

Look up Monitors. Very important to get a good sound.

But as far as hardware it depends on the style you'd like to go for and the sound you want. Software is software really, unless it's garageband.

Ohh yea fruityloops is no good. Fruityloop mixes sound different in the real world, it may sound tight in your session, but when you export your song and burnit to a CD...they turn out flat and cold.

I have no clue about reason, but I know alot of people use, including many professionals.

REASON REASON REASON...

u can get reason and 30 gigs worth of refills for $65... click the 3rd link in my sig if interested... just cop a midi controller and ull b all set on ur wayto makin beats as dope as TIME's!!!!

timebeats.blogspot.com for details...

hit me up on aim if u got it... ill tell u whatever u need to know about anything... aim = cornrobcun

Originally Posted by buggz05

Ohh yea fruityloops is no good. Fruityloop mixes sound different in the real world, it may sound tight in your session, but when you export your song and burn it to a CD...they turn out flat and cold.

eyes.gif
laugh.gif
j/k.

I just got the Reason package from TIME. I'd suggest hitting him up for it. It's real legit and installs perfectly on PC or Mac.

What type of producer are you trying to become? Sample or mostly original?

I think that plays a large part in if you need a MIDI controller or some other sort of hardware.

ehh even if u sample based id say u need a controller... if not a keyboard some pads... especially if u like to chop... doin drums is also better/more fun wita pad or keys
happy.gif

Ohh yea fruityloops is no good. Fruityloop mixes sound different in the real world, it may sound tight in your session, but when you export your song and burn it to a CD...they turn out flat and cold.

I have no clue about reason, but I know alot of people use, including many professionals.

Um no, if you know how to master your sounds you will have no problem. Once you export your files you can use other programs to play with the sound levelsto give it a crisp pro sound.

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

Question:

What exactly are refills?

more sounds for reason...

and buggz was talkin bout FLs sound engine... it exports thin... it can b made to sound better but the thicker the sound exports the better it can sound...i wouldnt say its no good but its no REASON!
laugh.gif

Get Reason. FL is like a block program

Try some midi controllers out, too

and get a PC dedicated to only your music.

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

Um no, if you know how to master your sounds you will have no problem. Once you export your files you can use other programs to play with the sound levels to give it a crisp pro sound.

Yea but mastering (and really it's mixing in this matter) is an advanced technique and takes alot of experience and knowledge. It's marketedtowards beginners like the OP, who really would have no clue about the circumstance. I'm not saying that FL cannot be professional, I'm just saying itis counterintuitive and adds color to your mixes...which is the worst thing possible when mixing. You wan't something that is true to the mix.

And I agree with exporting your sounds, but why go through all that hassle? Again that is counter productive.

hey time i just added you on aim

im going to holla at you about the reason package

which midi controllers you guys think are the best musiciansfriend has alot of them to choose from

Realtalk...take your knowledge from the kicks game and NT and hit ebay up.

Use musiciansfriend, zzounds and sweetwater as reference for prices and reviews. Harmony-Central is good for reviews too.

MIDI Controllers are midi controllers really. If your use to playing piano you wanna look for something with weighted keys, hammer action and after touch.

Alot of creative controllers out there. Any Keyboard with MIDI can be used as a controller though. So keep that in mind.

Personally myself I wasn't tryna drop 2 hundred on just a midi controller, so I researched vintage analog synthesizers (which are going way down in pricedue to the digital era) and found a steal on ebay. I got a 4000 dollar package with impeccable analog sound for 350, just go research and do work.

Also you want to keep in mind how many keys you want. If you want to get really creative and expressive you want more keys, like 76 or 88. Whereas with a 49key keyboard you are limited to that note range of only 49 keys.

Some midi controllers have things like drum pads and xy pads (like a touchscreen you can do all types of weird stuff with), joystick controllers etc. Alot ofcreative stuff out there today.

EDIT: I'm still searching for a decent controller with an appregiator...those things rule. Look those up.

for a beginner get 49 keyer... not too big but it gives u room to play around...

I use the keyrig 49... retails at 100... craigslist is good... used midi controllers always on there...

I'm at the studio recording a session right now but my aim should b up... hit me up so I kno its u and ill get @ u when I get home...

one question, as far as production goes whats better and or cost effective ( being that you can always shop around for steals and deals) pc based or outboard?

pc based easily... i mean u can get the best software out and 30 gigs of sounds for $65... then cop a midi controller for $100... and i assume u already own apc/mac ?

$165 is all u need to create tracks JUST LIKE THE LEGENDARY TIME!

smh.gif
@ me for all this shameless advertising but yo... i need some money b... i MUST cop carmines
laugh.gif

^cant knock the hustle..but portability is something to take into consideration.

lapteezy ftw... u can make beats in the car son...

I don't advise bein the driver...

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

Um no, if you know how to master your sounds you will have no problem. Once you export your files you can use other programs to play with the sound levels to give it a crisp pro sound.

Yea but mastering (and really it's mixing in this matter) is an advanced technique and takes alot of experience and knowledge. It's marketed towards beginners like the OP, who really would have no clue about the circumstance. I'm not saying that FL cannot be professional, I'm just saying it is counterintuitive and adds color to your mixes...which is the worst thing possible when mixing. You wan't something that is true to the mix.

And I agree with exporting your sounds, but why go through all that hassle? Again that is counter productive.

Great point, I shouldn't have talked from my view point because everyone does not know how to master.

I still use FL to this day, but I extract the stems and do professional mixing through Adobe Audition or Reason (use my synths through there as well). I'venever had any problems mixing through FL, you just gotta have a good ear and you can work well with ANYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom