NT, Recommend me some Jazz music to Listen to...

I know there are Jazz listeners here. anything good? i would prefer Smooth Jazz more, but any Jazz tune will do. thanks a mill.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Originally Posted by zimmyChecks

John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue

(both albums, not tunes)

co-sign

i just took a intro to blues and jazz class as one of my humanity credits last semester too

depends what instrument you like the most on smooth jazz

All instruments - I recommend the Streetwize and Unwrapped collection (they play rap and R&b tracks that are popular but give the jazz vibe...I listen tothem constantly)

Piano - paul hardcastle, brian culbertson(white dude is serious
laugh.gif
), joe mcbride, kem (not really jazz but his music has that smooth vibe), Zo! (dude has afull album called Freelance..he also produced "When everything is new" on Little brother's get back..my fav track.) George Duke

Sax - Kim Waters,Gerald Albright, Dave Koz, Kirk Whalum, , Eric Darius, Boney James, Najee,Walter Beasely, Kenny G
ohwell.gif

Trumpet - Chris Botti

Guitar - Ken Navarro, Norman Brown, Wayman Tisdale (Bass guitar...used to play in the NBA for a while),victor wooten (bass), George Benson

Original jazz music - Duke Ellington, Coltran, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Art Blakley, Theolonius Monk...those are the more popular and should keep yougoing till you find what you really like

I know a bunch more...I listen to jazz and neo-soul just as much and hip-hop if not more...hopefully this should keep u goin

i had this brazilian jazz cd in high school that was real tight. it's by stan getz and joao gilberto

Sorry for bumpin this up...does anyone know of any jazz artists or songs with a more heavy bass sound?

ChewToy - heavy bass sound, as in sound levels or by traditional bassists like Ray Brown?

To the OP - sticking with the classics... think of this as a 'starter-pack' for jazz... these are more like cornerstone albums of traditional jazz...go sample em on Amazon... if you like them, great... if not, thats fine... but at least it gives you more of an idea of what type of jazz you like... big band,bebop, quartets/quintets, free-jazz, ballads/standards, Brazilian Jazz, etc...

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Stan Getz - Getz/Gilberto
Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests
Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

and some of the stuff mentioned above - Buddy Rich (d) (IMO the greatest drummer ever, watch some youtube), Max Roach (drums) as well as Clifford Brown(trumpet), Charlie Parker (sax), Red Garland (piano)...

thanks for the reply. I dont know too many famous jazz bassists, so I'm guessing sound levels, like where the bass is more of a dominant instrument ratherthan horns etc. I went to a Jazz Festival here to see Maceo Parker last saturday, and before he played, the DJ was playing some nice jazz with somemodern-style, harder hitting bass. It had some nice snare in there, too. I'm not sure what classification of jazz that is.

I wouldn't consider Sade jazz... easy listening or adult contemporary maybe?

some also consider Norah Jones and Kenny G jazz as well... both which I disagree with...

Chewtoy - maybe you can try 'acid jazz', which is more funky and has a bit more of a beat to it... acid jazz also tends to have more electronicinstruments, which should add to a heavier bass sound...

Back
Top Bottom