NT School me on Boxers (dog)

We can't have Pitbulls down here(county ban) so I've been reading up on Boxers because I'm looking to get a dog in the next 2 months. 
I'd like to get onethat'sbetween 6 - 8 weeks old.

Does anyone own any here?

Would you recommend purchasing through a breeder,pet shop, or Craigslist-type sites?

Whats a good price? I've see ranges from $200-$1200

Pros and Cons?

i always wanted one since i was a kid
embarassed.gif

might cop when i move.

i love boxers. very loyal, good with kids (sometimes i guess they can be a little rough with smaller kids since they are so energetic).

I would advise to find a boxer rescue, too many dogs out there that need homes.

Got one. Rock, he's 5. BEST dog ive ever owned, and ive had many. High energy, loyal, very loving and will be by your side for everything. Couldn't recommend a better dog. Paid $500 for mine from a breeder.

35a40b9.png

i always wanted one too man. i always preferred them over pits or rotts. great dog

Originally Posted by DaBulls23

i love boxers. very loyal, good with kids (sometimes i guess they can be a little rough with smaller kids since they are so energetic).

I would advise to find a boxer rescue, too many dogs out there that need homes.

Yea, I've read that they can knock toddlers over even thought they're playing.. 
laugh.gif

As for a rescue dog, these dogs have about a 10-12 year life expectancy.. I'd rather have a younger one from someone who may not be able to handle too many puppies..

Fade On You wrote:
Got one. Rock, he's 5. BEST dog ive ever owned, and ive had many. High energy, loyal, very loving and will be by your side for everything. Couldn't recommend a better dog. Paid $500 for mine from a breeder.

Ever thought of cropping his ears when he was younger? What color is he?

you can rescue fairly young...but aside from that, one thing to be wary of or to just keep in mind is that they are susceptible to health problems like cancer and other things. not that they all get sick, but its definitely not uncommon.

but again, they are amazing dogs to own if you invest some time in them and give them the attention they need.

Boxers are extremely energetic and playful dogs. If you're lazy or don't have the time to play with them, I'd reconsider getting one. They consistently need to stay active. Unfortunately, their life expectancy is relatively short compared to most breeds and they're prone to tumors. Out of the 3 boxers I've owned (one is still alive), they've died at 6 and 9 years, respectively. Although I've known numerous people whose boxers made it to 14-15 years old, so they're wild cards in that category.

They tend to shed a bit, but nothing too serious and obviously don't require much grooming. In my experience, their coats seem to manage to stay clean and smell fine, so I rarely had to give 'em baths.

As others mentioned, they're very loyal dogs. If you can handle their energetic nature, then they're really great and beautiful dogs to own.

As far as cropped ears goes, it's hit or miss. None of mine had cropped ears, but all were also females and pretty small in stature. I think smaller boxers look good without cropped ears because they tend to have smaller ears that are proportional with the rest of their bodies. The biggest one I had was around 80 pounds (whereas my other dogs were only 40-45 pounds each) and her ears were huge and probably would've looked better cropped. At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to preference.

Originally Posted by APH

Boxers are extremely energetic and playful dogs. If you're lazy or don't have the time to play with them, I'd reconsider getting one. They consistently need to stay active. Unfortunately, their life expectancy is relatively short compared to most breeds and they're prone to tumors. Out of the 3 boxers I've owned (one is still alive), they've died at 6 and 9 years, respectively. Although I've known numerous people whose boxers made it to 14-15 years old, so they're wild cards in that category.
My only issue is I work night shift 5 days a week so I wouldn't be available between 3 and midnight which sucks but I know its temporary.. My sister and nephew could be available to him/her when I'm not around.. 
ohwell.gif

I have a Boxer. She's great with my two kids. She lets my older (5 yo) son climb, sit, and lay on her and doesn't seem to mind. But they are very hyper and energetic when they're in the mood to play. She's knocked my son over like she's running through him, like she didn't even see him in the way. They're called Boxers because when they play, they like to get up on their hind legs and act like they're boxing with their two front paws. So that part is kind of an issue when we get visitors coming into our house, she likes to jump on them. But I believe it's something that can be prevented if trained properly, I'm just too lazy. Overall, Boxers are great family dogs, very loyal and protective. But they do need room to run, so it would be best if you had a big back yard with high fences, they're jumpers.

Originally Posted by Phanatik9

I have a Boxer. She's great with my two kids. She lets my older (5 yo) son climb, sit, and lay on her and doesn't seem to mind. But they are very hyper and energetic when they're in the mood to play. She's knocked my son over like she's running through him, like she didn't even see him in the way. They're called Boxers because when they play, they like to get up on their hind legs and act like they're boxing with their two front paws. So that part is kind of an issue when we get visitors coming into our house, she likes to jump on them. But I believe it's something that can be prevented if trained properly, I'm just too lazy. Overall, Boxers are great family dogs, very loyal and protective. But they do need room to run, so it would be best if you had a big back yard with high fences, they're jumpers.
I got a decent sized yard, I think, lol.. I'm pretty sure I want to keep the dog inside but after a few months it'll be outside. 

I've owned 2 and loved them.

Pros: loyal as hell, friendly, good with kids
Cons: Energetic as hell an don't get tired, probably the stupidest breed of dog ever

They're sooo crazy and energetic, idk if I could personally own one after seeing a few of my friends boxers..but they're fun if you're very active.

Yo, I know a girl in North Miami who told me about the ban. She has a white Pit with a big @!$ head!

And we were on Lincoln road last week and saw at least 2 Pits.

How do you thing some people get away with it? Is it cool if they're mixed?

I have a Boxer/Pitt mix

Be prepared for an energetic, clowning, silly, loyal dog man.

As far as training, my dog was pretty easy to train but it took time.

I LOVE BOXERS! I have a male boxer who is about to turn 5. I work at a vet clinic and someone wanted to drop him off sick and euthanize him. I could not let that happen he was only months old, so they surrendered him over to me and the hospital. So I paid nothing for him, and he is the best dog I have ever had!!! hands down, total clown and such a fun spirited dude......I would highly recommend getting one if you have the space and energy because they are NON STOP energy! Some pics of my guy, his name is Munkey and he totally lives up to the name.
ac025cbef83fb3a0256367ef29abc8a0308c579.jpg
ce4252de6c3c83422ac36ed27ef466d78b712c6.jpg
36a35db1e93d3c7c368f29f630258a0ff38b354.jpg
f3715de534342c3cb1a4408e4a0c5b7290e5aef.jpg
cdf35b88efc9339937f02460338b75ca4cd53fb.jpg

Originally Posted by illphillip

Yo, I know a girl in North Miami who told me about the ban. She has a white Pit with a big @!$ head!

And we were on Lincoln road last week and saw at least 2 Pits.

How do you thing some people get away with it? Is it cool if they're mixed?

The dog can't be full Pit.. Also the police don't really mess with you when it comes to Pits but if they get complaints its a wrap.. I saw my neighbor with the
frown.gif
 face when county showed up to his crib.

Originally Posted by BeautifulLoveLeal

I LOVE BOXERS! I have a male boxer who is about to turn 5. I work at a vet clinic and someone wanted to drop him off sick and euthanize him. I could not let that happen he was only months old, so they surrendered him over to me and the hospital. So I paid nothing for him, and he is the best dog I have ever had!!! hands down, total clown and such a fun spirited dude......I would highly recommend getting one if you have the space and energy because they are NON STOP energy! Some pics of my guy, his name is Munkey and he totally lives up to the name.

laugh.gif
 What do you guys mean but energy? Would you say at least 2-3 hours of active activities is enough? 

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

laugh.gif
 What do you guys mean but energy? Would you say at least 2-3 hours of active activities is enough? 
I mean we run/walk with him everyday throughout the week and its not enough!! he will make us up in bed at night wanting to play with toys 
tongue.gif
 I find that mentally stimulating games are way more tiring for them, like learning new tricks and commands. 

My family had 4 when I was a kid, by far my favorite dogs out of any breed. I own 1 Boxer and 1 Pit right now, the Boxer weighs around 90 pounds and gets handled by the Pit when it comes to playing. Very loyal but also very high energy dogs.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

laugh.gif
I mean we run/walk with him everyday throughout the week and its not enough!! he will make us up in bed at night wanting to play with toys 
tongue.gif
 I find that mentally stimulating games are way more tiring for them, like learning new tricks and commands. 
laugh.gif
 I see.. how old was he when you got him?

Back
Top Bottom