NT, Whose your National player of the year this season in College Ball?

Originally Posted by doyung9

Wesley Johnson.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

as long as he takes Big East POY though, ill be satisfied, hes cooled down alot reccently (mostly offensively though hes still racking up ridic steals, blocks, and rebounds because of how well he anchors that zone) but ALOT of him cooling down offensively was because of that $#@#$@% back flip he took vs Providence 
eek.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by haiti5

Evan

him and demetri mccamey made a helluva back court in h.s
pimp.gif
Man your tellin me.  I went to Joes was 2 years ahead of them, but kept in touch and follwed them after I left, they've been beasts since H.S.  Not too mention J. Peoples whose at Notre Dame and T. Freeman at SIU (I gotta shout them out too  
laugh.gif
).  E.T has developed nicely man and is only gonna get better same wit Meechi.  All my Joes boys do work.

he'll never get unless he can push his team through to the elite 8 but its nice he's in some conversations:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/lists/Goodman-POY-021510#sport=CBK&photo=10913056

#10 hobson, playing for the #10 team in the land. a team no one can watch because of the tv deal they have.

Evan Turner like numbers on the year. same height and weight and essentially the same stat line 16, 5, and 9 vs. 20, 6, and 9.

dare i say a poorman's Turner? but he may not even get conf. POY due to jimmer fredette's scoring prowess. so who knows

[h1]Turner's season so big it even overshadows great Wall[/h1]
Feb. 28, 2010
By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist

John Wall of Kentucky is the best freshman point guard I've ever seen. He's the best freshman point guard you've ever seen, too, unless you're old enough to have seen Magic Johnson average 17 points, 7.4 assists and 7.9 rebounds at Michigan State in 1978. Either way, Wall is the best freshman point guard of the last 30 years.

That doesn't mean he's the national player of the year.

John Wall is also the best NBA prospect in college basketball. In the NBA, Wall will be a cross between Derrick Rose and Dwyane Wade. He'll be the No. 1 overall pick in June, and I don't care which team has that pick. It'll be Wall, because he's the best future pro in college basketball's present.

That doesn't mean he's the NCAA player of the year, either.

Bear with me, but John Wall reminds me of my own freshman year of college, when I worked at This Can't Be Yogurt and spent months making waffle cones. To make them, you pour the batter into the griddle and lower the lid. Wait one minute, peel away the excess batter on the outside of the griddle, lift the lid, and there you have it. A perfectly formed waffle cone.

That excess batter on the outside of the griddle? You peel it away and toss it. Delicious stuff -- but in the grand scheme of things, irrelevant.

The same goes for some of the biggest compliments we can say about John Wall. He's the best freshman point guard in decades, and he's the best NBA prospect in a few years -- but since we're discussing the national POY, those compliments are irrelevant. So peel them away and toss them.

Because John Wall isn't having the best season in college basketball. Evan Turner of Ohio State is having the best season in college basketball.

That's what the award comes down to, right? We're not picking the best future pro. We're not noting how impressive or even how difficult it is to be a freshman point guard on the No. 2 team in the country.

We're simply trying to identify the best individual season in college basketball -- and that season, in my opinion, belongs to Turner.

Look, John Wall would be a decent choice for POY, too. If Wall wins it, I'm not going to boycott the Naismith Award like I'm boycotting the Naismith Hall of Fame. Wall is a legitimate POY candidate -- and after Turner, he's the only legitimate candidate. If someone other than Turner wins it, and that someone isn't Wall, then the Naismith Award will become as silly to me as the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, baby. Syracuse's Wesley Johnson has had a great season, and so have Villanova's Scottie Reynolds and Washington's Quincy Pondexter and Notre Dame's Luke Harangody, but there is an All-American ... and there is a Player of the Year. And there is a difference.

And that difference is Evan Turner.

Turner is damn near pulling off a triple crown in the Big Ten, leading that conference in scoring (19.7 ppg) and rebounding (9.3) while placing second in assists (5.9). He's in the national top 40 in all three stats, and he leads the country with two triple-doubles, and he's also among Big Ten leaders in steals, blocks and field-goal percentage.

Where is my argument for Turner? You just read it. That paragraph is all the argument I need. The categories and statistics are different, but Turner is putting up the kind of mind-boggling numbers that Blake Griffin had for Oklahoma in 2009, and Kevin Durant had for Texas in 2007. They were players of the year, of course. They were obvious picks.

So is Turner.

But again, there is much to be said for John Wall. He is averaging 16.8 points, 6.2 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 1.9 steals, and those numbers don't do him justice. To appreciate Wall, you have to watch him with the ball 30 feet from the basket, and then -- don't blink! -- watch him approach the basket and take a hit and hang in the air and finish. It's remarkable. That said, Wall's numbers say he is having a better season than Derrick Rose had as a freshman at Memphis, and Rose had one hell of a season in 2008. Rose led Memphis to a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a spot in the national championship game, and Wall could very well do the same for Kentucky.

If I seem to be wishy-washy, forgive me, but this argument doesn't have to resemble an arbitration hearing in Major League Baseball -- where a team cruelly breaks down its own player for the sake of winning the arbitration hearing and saving itself a few bucks in salary. I have no interest in breaking down John Wall to win my case for Evan Turner. Again, Wall is the best freshman point guard I've ever seen, and I saw Chris Paul and Michael Conley and Stephon Marbury and Kenny Anderson. Wall also is the best pro prospect in college basketball.

He just hasn't had the best individual season. There can only be one, and his name is Evan Turner.

Ohio State's Turner deserves POY honors for well-rounded dominance

How good is Evan Turner? Lately, he's been causing me to tune into games I should really have no interest in watching, like last week's Ohio State-Penn State contest. The Nittany Lions were 2-12 in the Big Ten at the time. The Buckeyes pretty much controlled the entire second half. Yet I couldn't stop watching. I wanted to see what Turner would do next.

At one point early on, he throws an inbounds pass in under his own basket, immediately takes the ball back and flies down the baseline for a slam. During one early-second-half span, he feeds teammate David Lighty for a dunk, then runs back down court and blocks Penn State star Taylor Battle. Moments later, off a missed Penn State shot, Turner races down court and leaves two defenders in the dust for a layup.

And then there are the jump shots -- all sorts of jump shots. On one, he takes a pass on the wing, makes a crazy spin move to ditch Battle and puts up a floater. Penn State eventually cuts a 17-point deficit down to four with 3:30 left, but you know what's coming next. Two straight possessions, two straight Turner pull-up jumpers. Ballgame.

Final tally: 25 points, seven rebounds, seven assists, three steals, two blocks.

Though he makes even the most mundane game exciting, Ohio State's do-everything junior won't win Player of the Year honors on highlights alone. John Wall can go toe-to-toe in that department. Turner deserves it because he's the most complete player in the country, the most valuable to his team and the most productive all-around guard the sport has seen in years.

You have to go back to 2004 to find the last time a point guard, St. Joe's star Jameer Nelson, won the Naismith Trophy. Lately the hardware's been dominated by power forwards like Tyler Hansbrough and Blake Griffin. Those guys were ballers, no question, but their games were more workmanlike. Lots of bullying inside the lane to grab rebounds and get fouls.

It's been a treat this year to watch Turner and Wall do their thing in the open floor, and they're both electrifying players. The difference is, Turner does more things in more areas over the course of 40 minutes.

He averages 19.5 points, 9.4 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 1.8 steals. Consider: He's a 6-foot-7 point guard who leads his conference in rebounding. Not only that, he's No. 1 in scoring and No. 2 in assists, making him the only Big Ten player in the past 26 years to rank in the top three in all three major categories.

Just for kicks, he's also second in steals, fifth in field-goal percentage (. 538) and eighth in blocked shots (0.9 per game).

And did I mention he's one of just two players in the country (the other, Marshall's Hassan Whiteside) to post two triple-doubles?

Clearly, the guy's got more than enough credentials to qualify for Most Outstanding Player. We also have certifiable proof why he's the sport's Most Valuable Player.

Ohio State, 24-7, currently sits in first place in the Big Ten. Take away Turner, however, and the Buckeyes are an NIT team. We know this because early in the season, Turner suffered, quite literally, a backbreaking injury.

Ohio State was 7-1 when Turner crashed to the floor following a dunk against Eastern Michigan on Dec. 5, fracturing the second and third lumbar vertebra in his spine. He missed six games, during which the Buckeyes went 3-3, including losses at Wisconsin and Michigan in their first two league games. Since his return, Ohio State has gone 14-3 and is seen as a potential Final Four team.

Turner has some fine complementary players around him in William Buford, Jon Diebler, David Lighty and Dallas Lauderdale, but they pale in comparison to Wall's supporting cast at Kentucky, which includes two fellow projected lottery picks (DeMarcus Cousins and Patrick Patterson). Without Wall, the Wildcats wouldn't be a front-runner for the national championship -- but they'd probably be in the discussion with that kind of talent.

Wall is akin to what freshman star Derrick Rose was to Memphis' 2008 national runner-up squad: the cherry on top of what was already a very tasty sundae. Even without Rose, the Tigers had reached the Elite Eight a year earlier with largely the same cast of players.

Turner plays more the part that his fellow Chicago native, Dwyane Wade, did at Marquette in 2003 -- a guy so talented he could almost singlehandedly lead an otherwise pedestrian team to the Final Four.

With that in mind, the player of the year race between Wall and Turner figures to be no easier a decision than an NBA general manager would have right now if he had a choice to sign Rose or Wade. You can't go wrong either way.

But the question here isn't, who's more talented? It's, who's been more outstanding during the 2009-10 season? Turner has scored more, rebounded more, shot better and notched as many steals while tallying slightly fewer assists. No other player in the country does so many different things so well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/01/evan.turner.poy/index.html

[h1]Uncanny ability to destroy defenses makes Wall America's top player

[/h1]

I took my time working my way to the court in the back corner of the Riverview Park Activities Center in North Augusta, S.C., in July 2008. I'd spent the first few hours of my first Peach Jam tournament watching some surefire future stars. I'd seen DeMarcus Cousins. I'd seen Xavier Henry. I'd even seen Seantrel Henderson, who would become a top recruit in football.

Still, every coach I spoke to asked the same question. Have you seen John Wall yet?

So I finally made my way to that back-corner court, and there he was. At first glance, without a ball in his hand, the Raleigh, N.C., native didn't look so special. Sure, he was a 6-foot-4 point guard, but unlike Cousins and Henry, he didn't already look like a full-grown man. Then Wall brought the ball up the court.

He dribbled to the top of the key and paused. (Sound familiar, Kentucky fans?) He locked eyes with his defender, who stared back with the same look the wildebeest usually gives the lion. Wall spotted an opening, and he attacked. In what seemed like one fluid motion, Wall was at the rim. I don't remember if he dunked, if he dropped in a layup or if he passed to an open teammate for an easy bucket. It didn't matter. He'd already destroyed the opposing defense. The basket itself was an afterthought.

Surrounding the court were coaches from every conference in America. Even the most stoic among them couldn't suppress a smile or a head shake when they saw Wall move from top of the key to tin faster than the lightning strikes from the summer storm outside.

I wondered how Wall's game would translate at a higher level. He certainly appeared to play at a different speed than his elite classmates, but would a good college team be able to contain him? We know now that good college teams cannot contain him. We know now that he still appears to play at a different speed than everyone else on the court.

That's why the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery may as well be called the John Wall Sweepstakes. It's also why Wall is the nation's most outstanding college player this season.

We'll ignore the fact that most NBA general managers would saw off a limb for the right to select Wall. We'll also ignore the dance craze sweeping the nation. The college basketball Player of the Year should win the award for what he did this season, not because of his professional potential or because of his ability to incite a coast-to-coast fad. Based on numbers alone, the choice probably would have to be Ohio State's Evan Turner. But before you hand Turner -- a worthy candidate, to be certain -- the Player of the Year Award, ask yourself one question.

This is the same question I posed to myself before I cast my ballot for the Heisman Trophy, and it works for any Most Outstanding Player award in a team sport. If you were starting a college team from scratch and the only information you had to work from was what you've seen this season, who would you pick first?

I'd pick Wall, and it wouldn't be close.

Wall is an excellent passer, a pretty good rebounder and a decent defender, but his ability to make a defense collapse into itself like a dying star makes him the best player in the country.

Sometimes, an athlete can be so much better than everyone else at one particular facet of the game that he tilts the odds in favor of himself or his team. The object of tennis is to hit the ball past an opponent, so a player with an unreturnable serve would be favored to win every match, even if his ground strokes were only above average. A golfer so proficient with his putter that he never, ever three-putts would keep himself in every tournament in spite of his average driving distance.

The object of basketball is to put the ball through the basket, and Wall, because of his preternatural ability to slice into the lane and make a defense implode, is better than anyone else in the country at making it easy for his team to put the ball in the basket. Sure, he can improve the other facets of his game, but even if he never does, he is so superior at this one critical skill that night-in and night-out, he is the nation's most dangerous offensive player.

He's also the most valuable. While Turner's value to his team is undeniable, Wall probably doesn't get enough credit for Kentucky's metamorphosis. Obviously coach John Calipari and Cousins and junior forward Patrick Patterson have played large roles, but the primary reason Kentucky has turned from an NIT team to a likely No. 1 seed in the space of 11 months is Wall. Without Wall, the Wildcats would be a good team. They almost certainly would make the NCAA tournament, but they wouldn't be special. With Wall, Kentucky is great, even without a legitimate long-range threat.

Remember, North Carolina doesn't win the national title last year without point guard Ty Lawson, whose speed decimated defenses and opened up the offense for Tyler Hansbrough, Wayne Ellington and everyone else. Wall is a taller version of Lawson -- on rocket fuel.

Wall leads the Wildcats in scoring, with 17.0 points a game. He leads the SEC in assists, with 6.17 a game. Want a better stat line? In the final two minutes of Kentucky's first 29 games, Wall scored 62 points in 66 minutes while shooting 60 percent with only four turnovers. The numbers don't tell the whole story, though. Remember, Turner's numbers are better than Wall's. Of course, take away Cousins and Patterson and fellow freshman Eric Bledsoe, and Wall would score more points and grab more rebounds than he has. Turner posts huge numbers because he must. Wall's supporting cast is far more talented, so he doesn't have to win games single-handedly most of the time.

But guess who has the ball when Kentucky needs to score? When the Wildcats escaped Mississippi State with an overtime win last month, Wall finished with 18 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. Five points came in overtime. Wall did this by slicing up the Bulldogs' defense to the point that they had no other option but to foul him.

No other player in the nation can make a defense implode the way Wall can. Just as he did in AAU, he dribbles around the perimeter, hunting for a weak spot. As soon as he identifies it, he zips past the guards and into the lane. By now, at least three defenders are actively engaged in stopping Wall, which means at least two Kentucky players are wide open. Much of the time, Wall hits one of those open teammates for an easy basket. Other times, Wall just makes everyone in the opposing jersey look foolish.

Against Tennessee last Saturday, Wall darted toward the lane. Volunteers forward Kenny Hall had a sound idea. Wall was moving so fast. Certainly, he couldn't stop or change direction. So Hall broke down at the elbow and waited for Wall to plow him over for an obvious charge. Wall planted one foot and spun around Hall and into the paint. Once there, he rose. Then he flipped the ball over Vols forward Wayne Chism and into the basket.

Wall had moved up a level since that day on the back-corner court, but nothing had changed. He is still the best player on the floor and the best player in the country.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/03/01/john.wall.poy/

My vote is for Sherron Collins, but that isn't going to happen because he has so much help around him. He is clearly the best pg in NCAA and shows the most leadership game in and game out.

I'll be happy for any of the candidates when they win it because that is an incredible award, and this NCAA season definately delivered with great talent.

Is this dude Part of Wall's PR team? He jumps in every thread posting these articles like that's supposed to sway peoples opinion.

Calm the %+#+ down, he doesn't even know you exist.

oh damn, Wall doesn't know I exist.  what ever will I do?

eyes.gif

i soooooo need to calm down.  guess I'm Evan's PR guy too, right?  I posted 2 pro Evan articles and 2 pro Wall.  ain't trying to sway anyone's opinion, i respect everyone's opinion...and they're good reads.
Originally Posted by wildKYcat

there won't be any argument from me if Turner wins, at all.

and Evan gets my vote.

grin.gif

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Is this dude Part of Wall's PR team? He jumps in every thread posting these articles like that's supposed to sway peoples opinion.

roll.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Goin a little overboard. Wall will probably get some votes, and rightfully so. It would make sense that someone who has seen Wall every single game would be backing him and defending him. I think Turner is unbelievable and should win it this year, but I have Wall 2nd.

only thing I disagreed with was when dude said that it was Evan "by far."  i ain't made one single John Wall thread...yet there's been dozens of them.  i guess we're gonna assume that because i post a Wall article, that represents my opinion...but not when i post a piece on Turner, or the results of Rothstein's straw poll of voters (indicating that Turner's gonna win.)

*proverbial shrug*

Damn. Hatin' on Rautins. He can be solid. Don't forget, they're #1 right now and wouldn't be without him. Not saying they wouldn't be a contender, but he's been a huge support in the current season. Turner may be the favorite, but I like Singler. White dude got game.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

only thing I disagreed with was when dude said that it was Evan "by far."  i ain't made one single John Wall thread...yet there's been dozens of them.  i guess we're gonna assume that because i post a Wall article, that represents my opinion...but not when i post a piece on Turner, or the results of Rothstein's straw poll of voters (indicating that Turner's gonna win.)

*proverbial shrug*

I said by far because O$U wouldn't even be dancing if Evan wasn't there. UK still has a ton of talent with Patterson, Cousins, and Bledsoe, so they definitely wouldn't be a Top 5 team but they'd still be a Top 25 team.

Back
Top Bottom