NTers in IT: Preparing for the A+ Certification Exam and Career Advice

s0lefunk

Supporter
I'm looking into taking the A+ exam in the near future but I am trying to find the best way to prepare.  I was looking into taking a prep course from Learning Tree but it is a little expensive..  I also found this book CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers that has really good reviews but I honestly am not that great at self study (never developed the best study habits in school). 

IT professionals, what steps would you recommend someone seeking an entry-level position in the field?   

I got my BA in Econ and I have a few jobs on the resume but I do not have any type of formal technical background.  Outside of maintenance on my own computers and phones I dont have any other experience. After meandering through life this past year I'm really trying to focus on establishing a career in a field I've always loved but never thought of pursuing until recently.  I think I ultimately want to get into software development but in the short term I'm trying to land a helpdesk technician gig and see what doors open from there. 

Any input is greatly appreciated and if you dont mind please share what you do  

Look into taking the CISA exam it is given in June and December each year. It is for IT auditors and can really help you get a job with a big 4 firm. I currently work for PwC and can help you get an interview with the firm. Good luck

Get that book, man. If you want to pursue a career in IT, you definitely have to start working on your studying habits, and sooner is better than later. Take the course too if you think it will help, but in all honesty, if you can't read that book and study by yourself then you probably shouldn't be pursuing a career in IT. IT is a constantly changing field, and if you want to be successful in it you have to be willing to dedicate time to learn new stuff.

As far as an entry level position in IT? Just look at the local computer shops in your town. They might not want to hire you based on your limited experience, but show them what you know from just working on your own stuff and see if they won't at least hire you on temporarily.

And start studying. If you don't know any languages very well, START STUDYING. Don't waste time with Javascript. Instead, go straight into Java, C/C++, etc. Especially if you want to do software development.

Take as many practice test that you can....

Try getting one of these: MSCE, MCA, CCNA, CCSP, CCIE, PMP, CISA,

Learn Linux, Java, Object-C, Pearl, Mobile Development,

Really appreciate it everyone, keep it coming

Already found a copy of the book and dug through the storage room to find my old PC to work on.

Get CISCO certs an security cert if you wanna get paid , i have a cd that has a + test word for word if you need it 
pimp.gif

A+ is pretty easy if you have history in I.T. If your confident in your I.T skills and well rounded you have a good shot. But like any test the best method is to study the books and take as many practice test as possible. Doing this right before the test really help a lot too.

But in reality employers are looking for history on the subject. Either with job history or a history with the technology needed for the job. What every job you do apply for and interviews you get, dont rely on the certifications, you have to convince them your extremely knowledgable and every company is extremely different.

Its easy to look up what infrastructure a company uses in their job requirements. I'd say if you aren't familiar with the requirements, than create a test environment. I learned I.T mostly by myself with just real hands on experience. I still went to school for it but It just cant compare to true experience.

Honestly, if you know computers, you won't need to study for A+. It's general computer knowledge.

A+ is easy, but I would skip it and focus on one of the many other certifications people have mentioned here. It's not important unless you want to do work as a tech for helpdesk, etc. The real money is in programming, but you can get by on tech work. Experience is what employers actually care about when it comes to looking for a tech. Customer service is a huge plus and will also help you get noticed. You should start off doing internships as a helpdesk tech at companies. There are paid and non-paid. Take what you can. Check everywhere, non-profits, corporations, universities, small colleges. Once you start getting some work in, then worry about certifications. If you want middle money, you can go into networking or doing it security, where certs will matter more.

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Honestly, if you know computers, you won't need to study for A+. It's general computer knowledge.

Yeah that's part of it. The other half is dealing customers and end users. Those answers aren't as easy as it looks. A+ admins really want test takers to be friendly and courteous. The IT has gotten a rep for having people who very short with people and get annoyed easily (see the skit IT from SNL with Jimmy Fallon). The Mike Myers is really helpful for me. It's a shortened version of most things. Also, I'd look into doing some interning (this what I'm doing). It'll give you the hands-on experience which is oh-so important these days.

About to get my cisco cert....I just bought Cisco networking for dummies last week, just to get my foot in the door.

anybody know of any other material to help prepare myself?

I got my Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator or whatever the shack it's called, almost aced it on the 2nd try, by using test banks. They have them for every test and IMO they are the most efficient way to pass tests, especially if the material is less important than being able to put on your resume you have that cert. Like for us they keep saying you need to have this cert, now we want you to get this one, and literally give us a deadline and if we don't have them by then automatic firing.

But testbanks are basically, somehow the exact test questions and foils leak, people put them all together in a vce file which you can use and even sort to make practice tests and upload them. Then on the page where it's uploaded, there are comments. The comments are from people who have studied that particular vce or test bank and will give tips like "took test today in US, questions are accurate, there was one new one about server, the answer is 500 licenses" or "none of these questions were even on the test, test bank needs updating" or something like that so you know which one to study.

Test is 56 questions, VCE might have 200 but now you have streamlined and are just literally studying the questions, do it enough to the point you develop a natural just knowing the answer as soon as you start to read the question by association. I studied maybe 15 minutes a day for like a week and a half and like I said, missed maybe 4 questions. Here's a link to what a page looks like with a test bank, you have to download the software too

http://www.examcollection...revor.105q.vce.file.html

I pass the exam today 18 may, 970/1000 , 55 questions, 1 shuffled answer, the exam is equal to the dump, 1 new question of licensing, the answer is A, 500 license Windows 7 Enterprise. Thanks Trevor !

I definitely dont mind a Help Desk job to start out.  The A+ is only the first cert I plan on getting.  Next I'll probably go for Network+ and/or Security+ or I might look into a Microsoft or Cisco cert like recommended.  I have no IT background so I dont mind starting at the bottom.  As long as I'm working and I'm doing something I like then everything is good in my book.  I got years of customer service experience so I'm not worry about that.  I'm just trying to help them with their PCs instead of helping them find the right shoe...

Thanks again everyone and keep the advice coming.  Definitely got some valuable replies and a better sense of what my plans after the A+ should be.

get your windows 7 cert and then (insert cisco cert here) and with experience you should be good.

BUT...you'd wanna know what lane you wanna go whether its networking or hardware. you need to figure that out yourself first.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I got my Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator or whatever the shack it's called, almost aced it on the 2nd try, by using test banks. They have them for every test and IMO they are the most efficient way to pass tests, especially if the material is less important than being able to put on your resume you have that cert. Like for us they keep saying you need to have this cert, now we want you to get this one, and literally give us a deadline and if we don't have them by then automatic firing.

But testbanks are basically, somehow the exact test questions and foils leak, people put them all together in a vce file which you can use and even sort to make practice tests and upload them. Then on the page where it's uploaded, there are comments. The comments are from people who have studied that particular vce or test bank and will give tips like "took test today in US, questions are accurate, there was one new one about server, the answer is 500 licenses" or "none of these questions were even on the test, test bank needs updating" or something like that so you know which one to study.

Test is 56 questions, VCE might have 200 but now you have streamlined and are just literally studying the questions, do it enough to the point you develop a natural just knowing the answer as soon as you start to read the question by association. I studied maybe 15 minutes a day for like a week and a half and like I said, missed maybe 4 questions. Here's a link to what a page looks like with a test bank, you have to download the software too

http://www.examcollection...revor.105q.vce.file.html

I pass the exam today 18 may, 970/1000 , 55 questions, 1 shuffled answer, the exam is equal to the dump, 1 new question of licensing, the answer is A, 500 license Windows 7 Enterprise. Thanks Trevor !
Do not go down this path.
One day you WILL get exposed.
Study regularly and work hard, you're ready for the test when you're ready for the test.

A+ cert wont help you if you are trying to develop software. A+ also wont teach you how to really repair PCs, you just have to know computers. The IT world is more concerned with XP or people who actually know what to do, low level certs hold very little weight. Certs only count at higher levels such networking CISCO certs if you want to go the systems admin/security route. If you want to program/ develop apps jump right into learning C/java. Go to cs50.tv and it has free harvard courses with vids and everything on learning programming with zero prior experience. Good luck its never too late to learn everything is online.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

I definitely dont mind a Help Desk job to start out.  The A+ is only the first cert I plan on getting.  Next I'll probably go for Network+ and/or Security+ or I might look into a Microsoft or Cisco cert like recommended.  I have no IT background so I dont mind starting at the bottom.  As long as I'm working and I'm doing something I like then everything is good in my book.  I got years of customer service experience so I'm not worry about that.  I'm just trying to help them with their PCs instead of helping them find the right shoe...

Thanks again everyone and keep the advice coming.  Definitely got some valuable replies and a better sense of what my plans after the A+ should be.

Like I said, don't worry about the A+.  It will be a waste of money until you pick up experience.  You have to renew it every few years, so that will be money out your pocket for nothing.  Find helpdesk internships, free or paid.  Paid is best, but take what you can because since you have different background you might get overlooked.  If you're in NYC, you will find tons of listings.

Upping for later. Great Thread. I just graduated with a B.S. in Information Technology and looking for a career. It seems like certifications are the best way to get your foot in the door if you don't know someone. It's like MOST company's aren't willing to invest in a person fresh out of college and MOLD them. I HATE programming but that's all I come across when I'm on Indeed.com, Monster, Career Builders..etc. I just wish I could speak with more IT professionals that chose NOT to go the programming route and give me some suggestions. I def plan on obtaining some certs tho. Problem is saving for them...Deezamn

I'm trying to get more familiar with SQL. I've been educated on it, but I never had to apply it to a work setting. Seems like I'm seeing this in more applications. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom