NY case puts N-word use among blacks on trial

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal jury has rejected the argument that use of the N-word among blacks can be a culturally acceptable term of love and endearment, deciding its use in the workplace is hostile and discriminatory no matter what.

Jurors last week awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages to a black employment agency worker who was the target of an N-word-laced rant by her black boss, and they return to a Manhattan federal court Tuesday to decide on punitive damages.

The case against Rob Carmona and the employment agency he founded, STRIVE East Harlem, gave legal airing to what some see as a complex double standard surrounding the word: It's a degrading slur when uttered by whites but can be used at times with impunity among blacks.

But 38-year-old Brandi Johnson told jurors that being black didn't make it any less hurtful to be the target of what her attorney called Carmona's "four-minute ****** tirade" about inappropriate workplace attire and unprofessional behavior.

Johnson, who taped the March 2012 remarks after her complaints about his verbal abuse were disregarded, said she fled to the restroom and cried for 45 minutes.

"I was offended. I was hurt. I felt degraded. I felt disrespected. I was embarrassed," Johnson testified.

In closing arguments, Johnson's attorney Marjorie M. Sharpe said Carmona's use of the word was intended to offend "and any evidence that defendants put forth to the contrary is simply ridiculous."

"When you use the word ****** to an African-American, no matter how many alternative definitions that you may try to substitute with the word ******, that is no different than calling a Hispanic by the worst possible word you can call a Hispanic, calling a homosexual male the worst possible word that you can call a homosexual male," Sharpe told jurors.

But defense lawyers said the 61-year-old Carmona, a black man of Puerto Rican descent, had a much different experience with the word. Raised by a single mother in a New York City public housing project, he became addicted to heroin in his teens and broke it with the help of drug counselors who employed tough love and tough language.

Carmona went on to earn a master's degree from Columbia University before co-founding STRIVE in the 1980s. Now, most of STRIVE's employees are black women, defense attorney Diane Krebs told jurors in her opening statement.

"And Mr. Carmona is himself black, as you yourselves can see," Krebs said.

In his testimony, Carmona defended his use of the word, saying he used it with Johnson to convey that she was "too emotional, wrapped up in her, at least the negative aspects of human nature."

Then he explained that the word has "multiple contexts" in the black and Latino communities, sometimes indicating anger, sometimes love.

Carmona said he might put his arm around a longtime friend in the company of another and say: "This is my ****** for 30 years."

"That means my boy, I love him, or whatever," he said.

He was asked if he meant to indicate love when he called Johnson the word.

"Yes, I did," he responded.

The controversy is a blemish on STRIVE, which has been heralded for helping people with troubled backgrounds get into the workforce. Its employment model, which was described in a CBS' "60 Minutes" piece as "part boot camp, part group therapy," claims to have helped nearly 50,000 people find work since 1984.

Sharpe told jurors that STRIVE's tough-love program cannot excuse Carmona's behavior.

"Well, if calling a person a ****** and subjecting them to a hostile work environment is part of STRIVE's tough love, then STRIVE needs to be reminded that this type of behavior is illegal and cannot be tolerated," she said.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/us/article/NY-case-puts-N-word-use-among-blacks-on-trial-4782124.php

Glad this black-hispanic (I'm looking at a certain NTer now) got what he deserved.

Hopefully, this sets some kind of precedence in our communities because frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing the "my n___" phrase every time I am out in public.

You can't expect anyone to take you seriously, and treat you with respect, when you are racially self deprecating. If you can refer to yourself as a N, why can't an old white guy living in Westport? It's a terms of endearment, right? Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

Last edited:

Theres more to this story than some chick losing it and just going off on a "***** aint ****" tirade(whic most black women do regularly). I think bruh was at work trying to be "dat *****" and she called him out and being the.....man that he is, he took the chance to sue and get paid.

Not surprised, it is still a vulgar and inappropriate word to use in the workplace/professional environment.

Her boss was using it in a derogatory and demeaning way and in a place of buisness, no problem with the verdict.

I'm a brotha by the way who uses it frequently amongst friends.

Glad this black-hispanic (I'm looking at a certain NTer now) got what he deserved.

Hopefully, this sets some kind of precedence in our communities because frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing the "my n___" phrase every time I am out in public.

You can't expect anyone to take you seriously, and treat you with respect, when you are racially self deprecating. If you can refer to yourself as a N, why can't an old white guy living in Westport? It's a terms of endearment, right? Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

:x

It hurts my soul that you're serious.

But speaking about the article...

N word doesn't have place in the work force, and I use it frequently...

Oh... I see a HUGE ninjahood debate coming too...

Complete with Keko Jones and Celticsfan extremely biased viewpoints...

Quote me on that.

Last edited:

Theres more to this story than some chick losing it and just going off on a "***** aint ****" tirade(whic most black women do regularly). I think bruh was at work trying to be "dat *****" and she called him out and being the.....man that he is, he took the chance to sue and get paid.

Before you think there's more to the story maybe you should understand the story given. The woman sued her male boss, he's the one who called her the N word.

Indeed

Theres more to this story than some dude losing it and just going off on a "***** aint ****" tirade. I think she was at work trying to be "dat *****" and he called her out and being the.....woman that he is, he took the chance to sue and get paid.

Last edited:

Before you think there's more to the story maybe you should understand the story given. The woman sued her male boss, he's the one who called her the N word.

Mogs be so quick to jump up to **** on a female they can't even get the story right...

You can't be serious champ.  Some folks such as yourself still don't understand racial history as it pertains to this country. 

:x

It hurts my soul that you're serious.

Why? If you can use it as a term of endearment, why can't another--specifically a rich old white guy living in affluent Westport?

This is exactly why I said you can't eat your cake and have it too.

There's absolutely no logic, whatsoever, in the selective controversy that comes with the N word usage by different races. The word is either degrading, and it usage must be abandoned entirely, by ALL races, or it's non-degrading, and should be accessible to all races. Pick one.

So they forced us in the kitchen and are now mad that we baked a cake which we don't want to share with them...

I hate these enabling arguments. Ideally no one should say the word, I agree with that. But circumstances have dictated that its become part of black vernacular. Why does that make it ok for non-blacks to use? And more importantly, why do people want it to be ok? IDC what homosexuals call each other, I'm not coming out my face calling them f's. I know I'm not apart of that community and therefore my intentions and the context may be misinterpreted. I also don't understand how people think there will be some sort of mass paradigm change where the word will suddenly become taboo amongst all blacks and therefore in turn others will magically become less racist. That's not the way the world works. But I guess that is the way America works. Put the onus on the injured and not the ones creating the hurt. If no one ever uttered the n-word ever again I don't think it would make a hint of a difference as far as racism goes. A racist will find a way to be racist until we change the prevailing mentality in America where skin color affects perception of a person.

As for this case, anyone who speaks like that in the workplace deserves what they get.

Wrong story and a corny, broad generalization. :rolleyes

Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

So they forced us in the kitchen and are now mad that we baked a cake which we don't want to share with them...

I hate these enabling arguments. Ideally no one should say the word, I agree with that. But circumstances have dictated that its become part of black vernacular. Why does that make it ok for non-blacks to use? And more importantly, why do people want it to be ok? IDC what homosexuals call each other, I'm not coming out my face calling them f's. I know I'm not apart of that community and therefore my intentions and the context may be misinterpreted. I also don't understand how people think there will be some sort of mass paradigm change where the word will suddenly become taboo amongst all blacks and therefore in turn others will magically become less racist. That's not the way the world works. But I guess that is the way America works. Put the onus on the injured and not the ones creating the hurt. If no one ever uttered the n-word ever again I don't think it would make a hint of a difference as far as racism goes. A racist will find a way to be racist until we change the prevailing mentality in America where skin color affects perception of a person.

As for this case, anyone who speaks like that in the workplace deserves what they get.

Strong post...

Why? If you can use it as a term of endearment, why can't another--specifically a rich old white guy living in affluent Westport?

This is exactly why I said you can't eat your cake and have it too.

There's absolutely no logic, whatsoever, in the selective controversy that comes with the N word usage by different races. The word is either degrading, and it usage must be abandoned entirely, by ALL races, or it's non-degrading, and should be accessible to all races. Pick one.

aineem worth it famb.

Cats like you... 5 pages will be wasted on trying to get you understand...

You know the deal, but you flex on the internet because you're trying to completely remove historical meaning, context, and reasons why people say it.

You're focusing on the word itself, and taking out the human element. Straw man's argument.

Not eem finna debate. You got it bruh.

Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

I can't wait for the pseudo-rebuttal to this logically stated, easy-to-understand post

Last edited:
You gotta be from the area to understand. It's a geography/culture thing. The workplace though? you get what you deserve.

Last edited:
I don't use the N word but if you really think there's no difference in a old white dude saying it then you're really ignorant. I'm sure op want's a 5 plus page thread of this %&^@ tho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom