NY case puts N-word use among blacks on trial

If one of my ancestors was lynched while being referred to as a WOP, n-word, mick, zip, those words would be more than just "words" to me.

But you weren't so maybe you should stop speaking on stuff you're ignorant on, since you're an outsider.

lolwat

Heed your own advice. 

Truth hurts

These threads always have people pouting like babies over a word they feel they can't use. Like someone said you can say it if you wan't, just be aware of the consequences. I'm black and I don't use the word but the lol's are brought when other people cry about it.

:lol:

It's funny to me, you assuming that white people don't care or have an active role in larger issues because they're concerned about smaller issues.

I wish you would stop generalizing.

I know for a fact 99.99999% don't. I can tell by your silly responses in these threads. Compare the numerous N word threads or threads that turn in to that to a topic like why a black male with some college has a higher unemployment rate than a white drop out.

What solutions have you brought to the table? Just condescending comments.

It's not complex as to why many of us use the word, Amerikkka made us.

Last edited:
All variations and usage of the N-word need to die and put to rest, even if they're used in casual/friendly conversations amongst some people.

In all seriousness, I am glad.  Most people don't respond to ideas until it hurts them financially or legally.

It's time black people of any ethnicity/national origin stopped calling each other that.

%%$$ please
My fellow man of African descent, please.
In other words, ***** please.
I use the word $#@% as a way of showing familiarity with a persons' political, socio-economic, and cultural standing.

I don't use it with a person just because they have african heritage.... that would be awkward to use the word with every black person I meet.
I don't call my friends of any race that unless I'm joking.
It's not necessary.

1. I use the word with friends of all races and I'm not joking when I do it.
2. Niketalk is not "necessary" but you're on it.

I use the word $#@% as a way of showing familiarity with a persons' political, socio-economic, and cultural standing.

And that's the word you choose? ....... View media item 63035
But you weren't so maybe you should stop speaking on stuff you're ignorant on, since you're an outsider.

Sounds like I'm not the only condescending one...

I know for a fact 99.99999% don't.

I'm interested in seeing how you arrived at this number.

What solutions have you brought to the table? Just condescending comments.

If you want to know, feel free to PM me.

The dominant society is really doing there job.

If the dominant society is not allowed to use the word openly, they will punish those who do.

I do agree that it should not be used in the work place.

Before reading the article. I knew it would be a black women suing a black man.

Last edited:

I guess I'd rather be an outsider than be a sheep that refers to one of his "brothers" as a pejorative.

"But other blacks, especially members of the generation for whom Malcolm X and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. were living heroes, say no one should ever be permitted to forget what "******" has meant, and still means, in America."

"That term encapsulates so much of the indignities forced on our people," said the Rev. Benjamin F. Chavis Jr., a longtime civil-rights leader who is executive director of the United Church of Christ Commission for Racial Justice. "That term made us less than human, and that is why we must reject the usage of that term.

"We cannot let that term be trivialized," he said. "We cannot let that term be taken out of its historical context."

Some blacks say they are so traumatized by the oppressive legacy of "n----," that they cannot even not bring themselves to say the word. Instead, they choose linguistic dodges like "the N-word" or simply spelling the word out.

But then again, maybe I'm not the outsider after all.

So they forced us in the kitchen and are now mad that we baked a cake which we don't want to share with them...

I hate these enabling arguments. Ideally no one should say the word, I agree with that. But circumstances have dictated that its become part of black vernacular. Why does that make it ok for non-blacks to use? And more importantly, why do people want it to be ok? IDC what homosexuals call each other, I'm not coming out my face calling them f's. I know I'm not apart of that community and therefore my intentions and the context may be misinterpreted. I also don't understand how people think there will be some sort of mass paradigm change where the word will suddenly become taboo amongst all blacks and therefore in turn others will magically become less racist. That's not the way the world works. But I guess that is the way America works. Put the onus on the injured and not the ones creating the hurt. If no one ever uttered the n-word ever again I don't think it would make a hint of a difference as far as racism goes. A racist will find a way to be racist until we change the prevailing mentality in America where skin color affects perception of a person.

As for this case, anyone who speaks like that in the workplace deserves what they get.

Thread/

I guess I'd rather be an outsider than be a sheep that refers to one of his "brothers" as a pejorative.

That's the thing though that you and others will most likely NEVER understand.  I don't refer to my brothers as a pejorative.  That's just how you see it because you have no clue or context of how it is spoken.  You think you do..............but you don't.
But then again, maybe I'm not the outsider after all.
Make no mistake about it champ, you ARE an outsider...........ain't no doubt about that.  For now and forever more.  I don't care how much you listen to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and feel down with the culture.  You're on the outside looking in..............hoping to fit in.  

That's the thing though that you and others will most likely NEVER understand.  I don't refer to my brothers as a pejorative.  That's just how you see it because you have no clue or context of how it is spoken.  You think you do..............but you don't.

Fair enough. So explain it's usage and the intended affect...

Make no mistake about it champ, you ARE an outsider...........ain't no doubt about that.  For now and forever more.  I don't care how much you listen to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and feel down with the culture.  You're on the outside looking in..............hoping to fit in.  

What culture are you referring to? :lol:

Fair enough. So explain it's usage and the intended affect...

This was already answered by RavageBX, which is copied below........
So they forced us in the kitchen and are now mad that we baked a cake which we don't want to share with them...

I hate these enabling arguments. Ideally no one should say the word, I agree with that. But circumstances have dictated that its become part of black vernacular.
In short, WE took something that was bad/derogatory and turned into something other than it's original purpose that was spoken to us and about us by non-blacks for centuries prior. 
What culture are you referring to?
laugh.gif
Black culture. 

In short, WE took something that was bad/derogatory and turned into something other than it's original purpose that was spoken to us and about us by non-blacks for centuries prior. 

And this is what I assumed. SMH @ the logic used.

Black culture. 

What makes you think I want to fit into "black culture?" Because I listen to hip-hop or wear Nikes? Jesus, I hope for your sake that's not the reason.

Is it because you think black culture is superior or some exclusive club that everyone wants to be a part of?

Or is it because I have my own opinion?

You're gonna need to explain yourself on that one :lol:

One of my mentors who is African American broke it down pretty well. 

The origin of the word is to dehumanize people. Its was used to signify an entire people as less than. This word still carries that meaning. What is so hard about refering to someone as My Brother instead of My N____ my sister instead of my B____. When someone is going to inflict harm on somebody they use words that dehumanize them to make the crime acceptable. Who are you more likely to harm a Brother or a N____ a Sister or a B_____? The word is still used to dehumanize. I see this in my own Mexican Culture. People are using the Term Illegal Aliens because it is dehumanizing it is easy to place blame on someone who is less than human. We have no jobs because of all the Illegal Aliens etc. I just think we need to be careful what we say because i would be confident to say that the first thing that pops into someone head when they hear that word is not positive.

And this is what I assumed. SMH @ the logic used.

At least this time you asked a question, so I'll give you credit in that regard champ.  There maybe hope for you yet, maybe.  You the thing you have to realize or must see now is that you might not like the answer you are given, but it is the answer to the question. 

What makes you think I want to fit into "black culture?" Because I listen to hip-hop or wear Nikes? Jesus, I hope for your sake that's not the reason.

Is it because you think black culture is superior or some exclusive club that everyone wants to be a part of?

Or is it because I have my own opinion?

You're gonna need to explain yourself on that one
laugh.gif
Lets just say that YOUR past precedes you champ...........and that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

Black people are to sensitve

Spanish Black people are not the same as the American Negro, yeah same skin tone, yea same ancestry and similiar slavery, but not the two hundred years of chattell slavery as practiced in America, not the same second class citizenship in the years following.

ahhh its one of these threads again, and the usual suspects on both sides.

n word and tipping threads,  2 things i've grown to expect from NT over the years.

Did yall hear the audio? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Son said I don't mean that in a derogatory way but yall be acting like ****** all the time :lol:

She said she didn't feel she did, felt offended, and didn't like that he said that and he said you can be offended but it's true :rofl:

These ****** are hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom