Off-White x Air Jordan Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

Just look at on foot pics of those shoes on guys vs girls. Virgil (the guy that is a fashion icon and in the title of this thread, a fashion genius) clearly picked that color palette for women. It’s very feminine. Duh. Different shades of beige are women’s colors. It’s a womens shoe!
I disagree. If they were indeed a womens release they would have released like the Serena Williams collection. Those were literally designed for the Queens.

The sail 5’s & even the 2’s that recently released are legit “Off-White” colorway & weren’t womens exclusives. The 4’s were specifically womens sizes.

Last edited:
This thread is rather nasty
0FB2C30A-F057-42E2-8134-F4CD4A9C41C8.jpeg

also, vanessa bryant thought that she could take kobes legacy elsewhere, cuz they didnt want to pay her for her GiGi clothing line and make and market that as well.

hopefully virgils wife isnt the kind who would end his nike legacy for her own personal reasons.

maybe nike can give VB a $4 million dollar ring and she will resign?

i think we’re safe with virgils fam.

Wasn’t Kobe involved in that? I think it’s easy to demonize VB as being greedy, etc. but it was clear Kobe had issues with the way Nike was handling his line/brand otherwise there would’ve already been a longer term deal in place before he died.

removing the Kobe comparison and just assuming what Nike is going to do, I don't see how they won't get any backlash if they still release Virgil's designs in that same limited factor. Sure Nike can donate the proceeds to cancer or charity, but then they would still get called out for making the shoes in low quantities and not making more pair which in return means a higher amount of donation. Nike can do it tastefully but will they is a harder question here. I mean historically speaking, its Nike we're talking about here...

lol Nike/JB literally does exactly this with the DB line… Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love their products but they’re, quite frankly, the definition of an evil corporation, especially when it comes to social justice or charity issues (they care about themselves and how they look more than the causes they sponsor).

Since Kobe was brought up, I think Kobe's death was Nike's way out of the deal. Nike "blamed" Vanessa for the deal going sour. The reality is that Nike is a profit driven company. They paid Lebron his lifetime deal. But not Kobe. Remember Kobe's sneakers sat at stores, ended up at outlets....His stuff wasn't selling that well and that's when he was playing in the league. This coupled with Vanessa's reasonable demands gave Nike an out and they kept quiet. Many sneakerheads blamed Vanessa as result demonizing her by saying some awful things about her on social media, in the Kobe NT thread, and called it a money grab. Before the most recent deal with Coca Cola, Kobe's estate had Lebron type money already. She didn't need money. Kobe had his family set with generational wealth. Imagine if Nike just cut ties with Vanessa, after Kobe's death without a "reasonable" excuse. Nike's stock would have tumbled and they could have lost hundreds of millions overnight. Virgil's situation was far different.

I mean if we're being honest, ALL nike basketball shoes end up at outlets no matter the athlete line. Jordans, Lebron, Kobe, KD, Kyrie, etc. Stuff sitting at outlet isn't much on the athlete's fault. It has been rumored that Kobe's relationship with Nike was starting to sour anyway. I think Kobe might have mentioned something about being mad that Nike didn't offer him the latest tech to use on his models after he had already retired but they gave the new tech to Paul George. Not to mention, Kobe kept making new models but sales were declining due to him not playing in them. His retroes did better than his newer models.

I mean if we're being honest, ALL nike basketball shoes end up at outlets no matter the athlete line. Jordans, Lebron, Kobe, KD, Kyrie, etc. Stuff sitting at outlet isn't much on the athlete's fault. It has been rumored that Kobe's relationship with Nike was starting to sour anyway. I think Kobe might have mentioned something about being mad that Nike didn't offer him the latest tech to use on his models after he had already retired but they gave the new tech to Paul George. Not to mention, Kobe kept making new models but sales were declining due to him not playing in them. His retroes did better than his newer models.

To be fair, this is the same issue with the mainline Jordan models. Nobody buys the new Jordans outside of the niche performance market (and even then Kyrie, etc. seem to outsell mainline Jordans).

I think Kobe's personality of being introverted and closed off didn't help. There was a lot of hate on Kobe, when he played, from people that only knew him as a jerk and from his legal issues, which didn't help his sneaker sales. I personally loved the old school attitude he had. Lebron was the opposite, he was open, almost too open, he was far more marketable to the masses. The love and admiration for Kobe didn't really happen until his farewell tour. I think all the media about him helped people see Kobe in a different light. And I agree, Kobe wanted to be more hands on with his sneakers. Nike doesn't see these athletes as people. It's how much can they make us and factoring everything in, Nike wanted to walk away from the deal before Kobe's tragic death. It's the same reason why Jerry Lorenzo, Ye..... walked away from Nike because they wanted more money, more control....aside a very small sample size of elite talent like Virgil before his death, Travis before his debacle. And Ye was probably the catalyst that Nike needed to change their mindset on how they evaluate talent.

You're comparing the cause of death even I didn't even mention that at all. I'm strictly talking about Nike's business plan moving forward. Even if Virgil's family approves his designs to be released, how long will that relationship last before they run out of designs? Is virgil's family going to design his next sneaker that Virgil has never sketched before? Or is Nike going to use his name and brand and slap it on a design that Nike does themselves? Just curious in knowing how you think Nike is going to move forward with Virgil's line.

I mean I’m sure he doesn’t come up wit this stuff a week before. Not to mention he has a whole design team who probably worked out the nooks and crannies when he was here

he’s mentioned the 6‘s being his favorite and someone from that OW x Nike “Architecture” team was posting a bunch of videos of the infrareds.

tbh they could just give “architucture”/public domain/off white x Nike its own sub label and just start a post Virgil era

also

I think you’ll be fine now that prices have settled. Had 3 orders that didn’t get shipped. Now a rack for these is just to much.

Back
Top Bottom