Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

He's tryin his best not to be a distraction to the series isn't he? 

He can take the job and still try to get the chip, it's only 2 weeks or whatever.  Celts are vets, they won't be rattled by a coach leavin after the series. 

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by DubA169

i'm not understanding how all this hype helps lebron from a PR standpoint long term. He is going to be hated in all the cities he teases and doesn't go to. meanwhile fans that already didn't like him will hate him even more because of him stealing the spotlight, the double talk, ringless entitlement and antics.

it just doesn't seem like he is getting the right advice. Even if he does end up in NYC like i want him to, I can't really comprehend how all of this is helping him or his goals of being an icon. he is closer to becoming an enemy or a loser depending on what happens.
How the hell is he teasing?! You mad cause he ain't teasing with you? Or you just mad cause he didn't mention the knicks in the Larry King interview
laugh.gif

'Get off your knees'. You slurp dude more than anyone I know...and I'm the one from Cleveland
laugh.gif

go back into hibernation like the rest of your buddies

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

i'm not understanding how all this hype helps lebron from a PR standpoint long term. He is going to be hated in all the cities he teases and doesn't go to. meanwhile fans that already didn't like him will hate him even more because of him stealing the spotlight, the double talk, ringless entitlement and antics.

it just doesn't seem like he is getting the right advice. Even if he does end up in NYC like i want him to, I can't really comprehend how all of this is helping him or his goals of being an icon. he is closer to becoming an enemy or a loser depending on what happens.
How the hell is he teasing?! You mad cause he ain't teasing with you? Or you just mad cause he didn't mention the knicks in the Larry King interview
laugh.gif

'Get off your knees'. You slurp dude more than anyone I know...and I'm the one from Cleveland
laugh.gif

go back into hibernation to your business like the rest of your buddies confidants.

Fixed.

You've posted more about Lebron than anyone on NT. I got the pictures, I seen ya'..

that's creepy that you would follow my posts like that, but okay. have fun watching the finals

Originally Posted by CP1708

He's tryin his best not to be a distraction to the series isn't he? 

He can take the job and still try to get the chip, it's only 2 weeks or whatever.  Celts are vets, they won't be rattled by a coach leavin after the series. 
The way I see it is he's waiting to see what other offers he can get, or try to play hard ball into getting a better contract.  Maybe I misread it it.

I'm hearing Delonte is on his way out soon...like real soon...

..maybe for a draft pick somewhere.

Kinda upset all this went down. Dude was my favorite Cavs player. Oh well...

Spoiler [+]
Power_Moves.gif

wink.gif

talked all that +!#$ before the game KG and came out and played like a BUM

your done KG

and it should tell you how bad Jamison Defense is that he let KG look like the old KG

Yeah but they won, nothing we can really say. 

But it's funny, I hope KG stays OUT of foul trouble from now on, Baby Davis is better for them on the court, I want KG to play close to 40 minutes if possible from here on out. 

Never thought I would say that about Davis, but that kid plays hard and gives max effort

I was frustrated with Big Baby all year. It looked like last year's playoff run went to his head and he thought he was a go to guy on offense. Now he's back to doing the dirty work, hustling, and taking his shot when it's there. He's a solid role player when he's not stopping the ball on offense.

KG done? Haha... I don't really care if he doesn't score double figures, but I expect more passion on defense against Gasol and a lot better at getting the rebounds. The Celtics out-rebounded the Lakers even with the length of Gasol and Bynum. Props to Rondo's hustle and the bench of Davis and Wallace grabbing those rebounds. I expect Odom to have a good game soon though. Hope KG steps it up to counter.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I was stunned when he got up and blocked Bynum's dunk/lay-up attempt. Too bad they called a foul.

Another call, that i felt was a huge momentum killer, although this time it helped the Lakers.

and i wouldnt say KG is done, but he definitely needs to step it up instead of bricking each shot and contest more.

Originally Posted by DLo13

CP gonna be in here on his "I told you so" !$$! later. SMH.
Not you so, but Laker fans so, that beat on Fish all damn year long. 
smh.gif

Those clowns don't wanna see me all day.  Their rent is due today God damn it. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

certain things don't make sense in this world. fisher in the playoffs is one of them.

when he made a layup for the first time in his life over three people. i was just dumbfounded. but he is still a defensive liability soooo
grin.gif

and i loved the game. had and old school feel. low scoring. i think the refs were great during the 2nd half. it's impossible to make some of these calls

[h2]2009-2010 Player Evaluation: J.J. Redick[/h2]
June 8, 2010 at 12:00 pmEddy RiveraLeave a commentGo to comments

Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images

Synergy-fueled player evaluations, with the help of other metrics, are always fun.

Today, the shooting guards.

[table][tr][th=""]2009-2010 regular season[/th][th=""]J.J. Redick[/th][/tr][tr][td]Games Played[/td][td]82[/td][/tr][tr][td]Minutes Played[/td][td]22.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]adj. [/td][td]-9.19[/td][/tr][tr][td]net [/td][td]-6.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]statistical [/td][td]+0.99[/td][/tr][tr][td]PER[/td][td]15.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]WARP[/td][td]2.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]Win Shares/48[/td][td].173[/td][/tr][/table]

Perhaps no one else on the Orlando Magic, aside from Dwight Howard, had a more impressive year than J.J. Redick. It took Redick a few years to carve out a niche for himself in the NBA but it’s clear, especially after his performance in the 2010 NBA Eastern Conference Semfinals against the Boston Celtics, that he can serve as a key role player or even as a starter on a championship-level team.

Redick’s future with the Magic is up in the air right now, given that he’s a restricted free agent. But there’s no doubt that general manager Otis Smith will do everything in his power to work out a deal and retain Redick. Just a year ago, Smith allegedly attempted to insert Redick in a trade that eventually sent Courtney Lee, among other players, to the New Jersey Nets for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson. Now? Redick is untouchable.

It’s amazing how things change.

Via Synergy Sports Technology:

[table][tr][th=""]2009-2010 regular season[/th][th=""]
[/th][th=""]Time[/th][th=""]Poss.[/th][th=""]PPP*[/th][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Rating[/th][/tr][tr][td]OVERALL OFFENSE[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]100%[/td][td]701[/td][td]1.12[/td][td]98%[/td][td]Excellent[/td][/tr][tr][td]Spot-Up[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]32.5%[/td][td]228[/td][td]1.20[/td][td]94%[/td][td]Excellent[/td][/tr][tr][td]P&R Ball Handler[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]22.1%[/td][td]155[/td][td]0.97[/td][td]88%[/td][td]Excellent[/td][/tr][tr][td]Transition[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]16%[/td][td]112[/td][td]1.29[/td][td]93%[/td][td]Very Good[/td][/tr][tr][td]Off Screen[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]10%[/td][td]70[/td][td]1.00[/td][td]19%[/td][td]Very Good[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th=""]TS%[/th][th=""]eFG%[/th][th=""]TRB%[/th][th=""]AST%[/th][th=""]TOV%[/th][th=""]USG%[/th][th=""]ORtg[/th][/tr][tr][td].606[/td][td].540[/td][td]5.0[/td][td]13.9[/td][td]8.8[/td][td]18.3[/td][td]123[/td][/tr][/table]

Offense
Even though people have begun to realize that Redick is a good player, there’s still a lot of things he doesn’t get enough credit for. And one of those things is his offense. Sure, Redick is widely accepted as one of the purest shooters in the league but not everyone knows how much of an underrated playmaker he has become. The numbers provided by Synergy, for example, speak volumes as to how efficient Redick is offensively in a variety of play-types. It can’t be understated that, with his confidence level the highest its ever been, Redick shot the ball like it was expected of him when he left Duke in 2006.

Not only that, but Redick proved his worth on offense in the Eastern Conference Finals when the stakes were at their highest. Despite the Celtics’ stingy defense, Redick didn’t have too many troubles scoring.

Redick isn’t going to break down his defender like Tim Hardaway or anyone of that caliber from a ball-handling perspective. However, that doesn’t mean that Redick can’t create off the dribble because he can. Time and again, Redick showed that he’s more than capable of creating offensively for himself when necessary. Redick is at his best when he’s executing pick and rolls, spotting up on the perimeter for catch-and-shoot opportunities, or coming off screens for jumpers. At this stage in his career, Redick’s game on offense is versatile and it’s one of the reasons he’s been able to survive and now thrive with Orlando.

Via Synergy Sports Technology:

[table][tr][th=""]2009-2010 regular season[/th][th=""]
[/th][th=""]Time[/th][th=""]Poss.[/th][th=""]PPP*[/th][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Rating[/th][/tr][tr][td]OVERALL DEFENSE[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]100%[/td][td]553[/td][td]0.92[/td][td]36%[/td][td]Average[/td][/tr][tr][td]Spot-Up[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]25.5%[/td][td]141[/td][td]1.15[/td][td]13%[/td][td]Poor[/td][/tr][tr][td]P&R Ball Handler[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]25%[/td][td]138[/td][td]0.86[/td][td]38%[/td][td]Average[/td][/tr][tr][td]Isolation[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]21.2%[/td][td]117[/td][td]0.80[/td][td]64%[/td][td]Good[/td][/tr][tr][td]Off Screen[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]14.1%[/td][td]78[/td][td]0.83[/td][td]62%[/td][td]Good[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th=""]net def. [/th][th=""]dMULT[/th][th=""]opp. PER[/th][th=""]TRB%[/th][th=""]STL%[/th][th=""]BLK%[/th][/tr][tr][td]+4.56[/td][td]0.944[/td][td]14.4 (vs. SG’s)[/td][td]5.0[/td][td]0.8[/td][td]0.2[/td][/tr][/table]

Defense
Redick would be the first to tell you that he’s not a great defender but he’s not a liability, either. There are some physical limitations that Redick will forever be unable to escape, like his size and strength when asked to defend bigger guards than him, but he can make up for it with his basketball IQ and defensive awareness. Defending is a lot about desire and effort, and those are two qualities that Redick isn’t lacking in.

Closing thoughts
It was a career year for Redick and the thing is, he was always capable of playing like this. Until last season, Redick never got a consistent opportunity to show what he could do on the court. Nevertheless, after Redick opened eyes in the 2009 NBA Playoffs, it was clear that the Magic had themselves a player. Thus, Redick rewarded head coach Stan Van Gundy’s trust this year by posting career-high numbers across the board.

The fact that Redick has openly stated many times that he would like to continue to play for the Magic and even be content continuing his current role, as opposed to starting with another team, shows how much winning means to him. That seems like a trait that should apply to all players but sometimes it doesn’t. Redick’s desire, not only to win but to always improve as a player, is one of many reasons why Orlando will make sure to re-sign him.

Oh, and it doesn’t hurt that Redick has become one of the best role players in the NBA.

*points per possession

Grade: A-

Back
Top Bottom