Official 07-08 La Liga Thread (Barcelona sign Seydou Keita)

or how about Zaragoza.. what a fall off. lol

on the flipside.. Reacreativo, and Getafe were pleasant surprises.

interesting match up = Marcelo vs. Messi

Unfortunately, I have to go within the next few minutes.. Great display by Real Madrid thus far. I leave at 2-0.. hopefully there are more goals.

Its official, Josep "Pep" Guardiola will be the next Barcelona coach.. Personally, I would've gone with experience in the form of JoseMourinho. Jose is excellent at getting his teams ready for war and important games. This team needs roster changes but its the attitude/morale need to berevitalized.
Barcalona have confirmed that manager Frank Rijkaard will be replaced by Josep Guardiola at the end of the season.

Rijkaard vowed to continue in the job after Barca lost to Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League semi-finals last week.

However, Barca's disappointing domestic campaign carried on as they were defeated 4-1 by fierce rivals Real Madrid on Wednesday.

Real have already clinched the Primera Liga title and Barca will finish the season without any silverware.

Rijkaard took charge of Barcelona in 2003 and led the team to back-to-back league titles and victory in the Champions League in 2006.

However, he has paid the price for not being able to build on the success with club president Joan Laporta deciding that he will not see out his contract, which was due to run to 2009.

"The administration of the club has decided that at the end of this season Frank Rijkaard will cease to be the coach of Barcelona and the position will be occupied by Josep Guardiola," Laporta told a news conference.

Former Spain international Guardiola spent 11 years as a player at Barcelona and has been in charge of the club's B team for the last 12 months.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3538935,00.html

at 3 pm eastern (just half of the games available):

Barcelona vs. Mallorca (Frank Rijkaards last game)

Real Zaragoza vs. Real Madrid

Levante vs. Valencia (battle of the whipping boys)

Atletico Madrid vs. Deportivo La Coruna (Atletico's chase for a CL spot continues)

Villareal vs. Espanyol

yeah.. Schuster summed it up best, "its hard to find motivation but we will go out to win"

judging by the lineup hes fielded, you can confirm this. Theres alot of quality in that lineup. Metzelder, and RvN starting the match to gain some fitness. Ifhe didnt care, he would of fielded Drenthe, Balboa, etc.

Zaragoza are fighting to avoid relegation so this is important for them. Its amazing how this team has underperformed.. some of us had them in the top 6.

1-1 thus far.

FT:

Real Zaragoza 2, Real Madrid 2

The Barcelona game was real good too.. Barca are up 2-0 then Mallorca storm back to go 2-2

at the closing minute.. Edmilson is red carded, and Guiza scores to end it 3-2 Mallorca

Sad ending for Rijkaard at the Camp Nou.

oh and with Atletico's win over Deportivo.. they have clinched a Champions League spot.
the CL spots = Real Madrid, Villareal, Barcelona, Atletico

new 2008-2009 Real Madrid home kit.
pimp.gif

317304182.jpg

Raul

317304178.jpg

(L-R) Mahamadou Diarra, Sergio Ramos, Arjen Robben, Raul, Iker Casillas, Gonzalo Higuain.

- http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satell...ticia/Nueva_equipacion_para_los_Campeones.htm

Adidas bringing back the collars for 'Pool, Chelski and Madrid...

On a sidenote, I never understood this, but why do the Primera Liga team presidents have this 'courtesy' of not showing any emotion when their teamscores? So it doesn't seem like their rubbing it into the face of their opposing team presidents? strange tradition...

I like how the new kit is more like the older models.

I want them to make a purple alternate for Champions League.

On a sidenote, I never understood this, but why do the Primera Liga team presidents have this 'courtesy' of not showing any emotion when their team scores? So it doesn't seem like their rubbing it into the face of their opposing team presidents? strange tradition...
yeah, tradition. I guess it has to do with sportsmanship, winning gracefully, and respect between La Liga clubs. Ray Hudson's sidekick on GolTV once commented on it. He said "it must be painful to watch the games having to hold back emotion." For example, Calderon and Laporta during ElClasico. Calderon saw the Guard of Honor, and an overwhelming victory over the archrivals yet he couldnt celebrate lol.

The fun comes in when the Presidents cant hold back and they show their glee/anger as seen here when Enrique Cerezo's emotions are toyed with as AtleticoMadrid's goal is disallowed during the Madrid derby:

15gyqtw.jpg

I like how the new kit is more like the older models.

I want them to make a purple alternate for Champions League.

agreed. I like the new kit alot because it looks like the Centenary as well as the 05-06 jersey. Im actually hoping for a black kit/white trim.

Originally Posted by xblaze23

yeah, tradition. I guess it has to do with sportsmanship, winning gracefully, and respect between La Liga clubs. Ray Hudson's sidekick on Gol TV once commented on it. He said "it must be painful to watch the games having to hold back emotion." For example, Calderon and Laporta during El Clasico. Calderon saw the Guard of Honor, and an overwhelming victory over the archrivals yet he couldnt celebrate lol.

The fun comes in when the Presidents cant hold back and they show their glee/anger as seen here when Enrique Cerezo's emotions are toyed with as Atletico Madrid's goal is disallowed during the Madrid derby:

15gyqtw.jpg

laugh.gif
that must be so frustrating... to stay
indifferent.gif
throughout the entire game even if you're dismantling youropponents...

Well, since La Liga is about to come to an end.. the newspaper daily's have started producing a bunch of rumors, summer style. Lets begin with:

Deco has indicated that he is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season. He was asked "If it was up to you, would you stay ?" He responded with
"No. I want to be where I am wanted." According to him, his future is most definitely in England or Italy. He cited that the only club that can matchBarcelona in Spain is Real Madrid, and he would never go there.

Raul has conceded the pursuit of being called up for Spain (Euro 2008). He now says his main objective is to rest, and concentrate fully on Real Madrid.

Manchester United lost the battle for their rumored number one right full back target, Bosingwa to Chelsea. Therefore, United have now set their sights onValencia's Miguel.

"I learned to score watching Raul, and Ruud" - Higuain (Real Madrid)

According to Sport, Internazionale, and Fiorentina want Real Madrid's Mahamadou Diarra.

According to AS, Mahamadou Diarra's surging form to end the season has cemented his Real Madrid place next season.

According to Sport, Barcelona's shortlist of strikers are: Karim Benzema, Luca Toni, Emmanuel Adebayor, Mario Gomez. However, the possibility of Benzemahas become complicated due to the potential price.

Other players mentioned in Barcelona overhaul rumors are Frank Ribery, Gerard Pique, Daniel Alves, and Keita.

According to AS, Barcelona have offered 10 Million Euros for Sevilla's Keita.

Manchester United are interested in Luis Fabiano (Sevilla)

Real Madrid assure that they can afford the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo.

According to Sport, Barcelona may try a cheeky bid for AC Milan's Kaka. The player+cash offer includes Ronaldinho + Zambrotta + 20 Million Euro.

Barcelona have offered 25 Million Euros for Daniel Alves (Sevilla)

"Selling Ronaldinho would be the biggest mistake in Barcelona history" - Diego Maradona

Getafe coach, Michael Laudrup has been linked to Sevilla job.

Gabriel Milito's knee injury may see him out for 9 months..

Valencia, and Barcelona battle for Mallorca striker, Dani Guiza.

Xabi Alonso has squashed rumors linking him to Real Madrid move.

New Barca coach, Pep Guardiola wants Luis Enrique to be his number 2.

Chelsea approach Barcelona for Giovani Dos Santos.

Atletico Madrid are fighting to sign either Lucho Gonzales (FC Porto) or Diego (Werder Bremen.)

Fiorentina defender, Ujfalusi has revealed he will leave Fiorentina for Spain.

Fiorentina wants to sign Maniche (Atletico Madrid, currently on loan at Inter)

"If the best thing for the club is to sell me, I'll accept it" - David Villa (Valencia)

According to El Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona no longer count on Deco nor Samuel Eto'o.

Tottenham Hotspur have already contacted Barcelona regarding Eto'o. Fenerbahce has, as well.

The Real Madrids vs. Levante match is in doubt after Levante players have struck against the club. The reason for the strike is unfulfilled payments to playersby the club. This development may add a sour taste to Real Madrid title celebrations. Thus, Real Madrid is looking for solutions including inviting a English,or Portugese club to play a friendly. Another possibility would be to have the first team play against Castilla (2nd team.)

Valencia want Espanyol GK, Kameni. They have offered 10 Million Euro + Zigic.

so whats the deal... are the Levante players gonna get paid and show up at the Bernabeu?

uh its still uncertain.. I hope they do end up playing. You cant blame the players though. The club has been very irresponsible.
Bernabeu clash in jeopardy after Levante's players strike

The players of relegated Levante have launched an indefinite strike over unpaid wages amounting to €18million.

The move comes just 36 hours before La Liga's bottom club are due to appear at the Bernabeu against champions Real Madrid in the final match of the season.

Saturday's strike action follows the failure of negotiations on Friday between the players, Valencia city hall and the Spanish league.

Levante coach Jose Angel Moreno says the team will travel to Madrid in the hope that the players receive sufficient assurances for them to call off their strike.
[h4]Salaries unpaid[/h4]
The players are said to have received just 20 per cent of their salaries over the past two seasons.

They recently called off a planned two-day strike after receiving assurances that they would be paid.

The team also staged a protest in the recent league game against Deportivo La Coruna, standing still in the centre circle after the game had started.

-http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11835_3576082,00.html

oh and today's only game was:

Murcia 3, Barca 5
Dos Santos ends his scoreless drought with a hat trick.

Robinho = untouchable

contract renewal (upgraded salary) soon for him.

I personally dont rate Dos Santos despite his hat-trick today. Chelsea play 4-3-3, Dos Santos appears to struggle on the wing.

Yeah I think what I heard was a rumour...

Something like Real was interested in Drogba, they'd give Robinho in compensation blah blah blah...

As for Gio, Chelsea seem very keen to having him. Will see how it plays out....

Tchau.

how about Gio to Man City? as far-fetched as it may sound, anything's possible...

imagine if Real's game today with Levante affected the title chase...

Back
Top Bottom