..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

I swear, if that moron Zell sells the naming rights to Wrigley, I will hunt him down myself. Seriously......who in the hell is gonna refer to Wrigley as"Pier One Imports Ball Park"......if i was loaded I would pay that idiot myself to keep the Wrigley name. What a douche he is. He's gonna sellthe club but wants to scrape a few last millions. If i ever see him in the streets.....so help me god.

^Seriously that would be worse than Marshall Fields becoming Macy's, count me in on that hunt if the name change goes down.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

^ Another Cardinals fan, we need roll call up in this piece.

Hello... brother.

capt.5beb743d1b4b45b9b21a69a953a29396.cardinals_mets_spring_baseball_flnh104.jpg

Take that Johan!!
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?video=200802292396518
And that!!

damn, the Reds/Pirates game musta been crazy today.

Griffey and Dunn with bombs.
pimp.gif

[table][tr][td]March 1, 2008[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td] 1 [/td] [td] 2 [/td] [td] 3 [/td] [td] 4 [/td] [td] 5 [/td] [td] 6 [/td] [td] 7 [/td] [td] 8 [/td] [td] 9 [/td] [td]
trans.gif
[/td] [td] R [/td] [td] H [/td] [td] E [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Pittsburgh
[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]4[/td] [td] [/td] [td]11[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Cincinnati
[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td] [/td] [td]12[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

[h1]Marquis prefers trade to bullpen work[/h1]By Paul Sullivan |Tribune reporter

TEMPE, Ariz. - A relatively sleepy Cubs camp exploded into a war of words Saturday when Jason Marquis said he'd rather be traded than go to thebullpen, prompting an angry response from manager Lou Piniella.

"Well, if that's the case, he can go somewhere else," Piniella said. "Win a spot in the rotation, you don't have to worry about it. …I've got seven starters here for five spots. It's a little bit too early to start talking about what he wants to do or not do."

The tempest in Tempe began after Marquis' spring debut, a 6-2 loss to the Angels in which he allowed two runs on three hits in two innings. Marquis spokehis mind for the first time in public about his uncertain status, letting it be known he's not willing to move to the bullpen at this stage of his career.
"I love Chicago," Marquis said. "I definitely want to stay here. This is the place I want to be. I signed here for a reason. But I also signedas a starter, and I think that's where I help the team the most. We'll see what happens when it's time for them to make their decision.

"So as much as I want to be here in Chicago-I love it, I love the fans, I love the stadium-I also have a family to worry about. I think I can take myservices elsewhere if that's the case and I can help another team, in that capacity as a starter. So, my value doesn't lie in the bullpen in mymind."

Piniella was so upset about Marquis' comment that after being asked about Kerry Wood's performance, he stopped in mid-sentence and turned the subjectback to Marquis.

"You know, that galls me about Marquis, it really does," he said. "I'm not pleased with that comment. We've had a good camp,everybody's getting an opportunity. Go out and win a spot in the rotation. Nobody is going to stand in your way if you do it. That's the easy wayout."

Piniella reiterated he never said Marquis would go to the bullpen if he didn't make the rotation, but the Cubs would have no other option if theycouldn't trade him. Marquis is due $16.25 million over the final two seasons of the three-year, $21 million deal he signed in 2007.

Boston scout Keith Champion was at Saturday's game, and it's known the Cubs are interested in Red Sox center fielder Coco Crisp, who is due $11 millionin '08 and '09, including a $500,000 buyout of his '09 option.

Piniella has not spoken to Marquis about his situation, and was surprised to hear Marquis was basically giving the Cubs an ultimatum.

Jason Marquis can go elsewhere if he wants.. it wouldn't surprise me if last year was a one year thing and he returns to his old ways as a cardinal thisyear...

Jason Marquis can go elsewhere if he wants.. it wouldn't surprise me if last year was a one year thing and he returns to his old ways as a cardinal thisyear...

Marquis was so up and down last year. He was really good at times, and others.....not so much.

Soriano is now out 1-2 weeks....from the 3-5 days that was originally stated.

zodogg & I told you guys Marquis was a douche, it was only a matter of time before the Cubs learned.

I just hope Sori is ok. I don't want to already be worrying about injuries. That's just nuts.

Marquis situatuion will work itself out. At worst we could use him as an extra bat off the bench.
laugh.gif

Pair of veterans added to camp

Reds sign Patterson, Hairston to Minor League deals

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The battle to be the Reds' starting center fielder took another interesting turn at Spring Training on Monday.
Veteran Corey Patterson was signed to a Minor League contract and invited to camp as a non-roster player. Another vet, infielder Jerry Hairston Jr., was also signed to a Minor League deal and will be in big league camp.

"We're looking at two talented guys that come in and potentially make our team and make us better," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said on Monday night. "We'll get them here and see what kind of shape they're in."

Both Patterson and Hairston are among a large pool of experienced free agents that remained unsigned with big league camps in full swing.

In the early days of camp, Reds manager Dusty Baker talked about wanting someone like Patterson or free agent Kenny Lofton to be signed as a potential leadoff hitter.

Patterson played for the Cubs from 2000-05, including two years under Baker. He spent the last two seasons with the Orioles.

Patterson's lifetime .298 on-base percentage doesn't indicate he'd be an ideal leadoff hitter, however. But once he gets on base, the 28-year-old can be dangerous. He stole 37 bases last season and 45 in 2006.

Last season in 132 games, Patterson batted .269 with eight home runs, 45 RBIs and a .304 OBP. Although he batted .235 in the first half, he rallied to bat .313 after the All-Star break.

Krivsky said it would be up to Baker how Patterson might be used in a lineup.

Lofton was seeking a big league contract but a deal didn't come together with the Reds' 40-man roster full. Patterson will join Norris Hopper, Ryan Freel and top prospect Jay Bruce to battle for the vacant starting spot in center.

The Patterson signing could put a dent in Bruce's chances. The 20-year-old is currently day-to-day with a mildly strained left quadriceps muscle.

"It just adds to the competition we have," Krivsky said. "It's a chance to compete, that's all. There are no guarantees for either one."

Hairston is a lifetime .253 hitter that spent 1998-2004 with the Orioles. He also played for Baker in Chicago in 2005-06. In 73 games last season with the Rangers, the 31-year-old batted .189 with three homers and 16 RBIs.

"He has experience at second base, shortstop, third base and all three outfield positions," Krivsky said. "He's just another versatile guy for our bench that could do several things to help us win a game."

Patterson, who lives in Atlanta, was expected to be in camp on Tuesday morning but not play in the afternoon game vs. the Indians. Hairston is scheduled to fly to town from Arizona and arrive at the Reds' complex some time during the day.

grin.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Pair of veterans added to camp

Reds sign Patterson, Hairston to Minor League deals

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The battle to be the Reds' starting center fielder took another interesting turn at Spring Training on Monday.
Veteran Corey Patterson was signed to a Minor League contract and invited to camp as a non-roster player. Another vet, infielder Jerry Hairston Jr., was also signed to a Minor League deal and will be in big league camp.

"We're looking at two talented guys that come in and potentially make our team and make us better," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said on Monday night. "We'll get them here and see what kind of shape they're in."

Both Patterson and Hairston are among a large pool of experienced free agents that remained unsigned with big league camps in full swing.

In the early days of camp, Reds manager Dusty Baker talked about wanting someone like Patterson or free agent Kenny Lofton to be signed as a potential leadoff hitter.

Patterson played for the Cubs from 2000-05, including two years under Baker. He spent the last two seasons with the Orioles.

Patterson's lifetime .298 on-base percentage doesn't indicate he'd be an ideal leadoff hitter, however. But once he gets on base, the 28-year-old can be dangerous. He stole 37 bases last season and 45 in 2006.

Last season in 132 games, Patterson batted .269 with eight home runs, 45 RBIs and a .304 OBP. Although he batted .235 in the first half, he rallied to bat .313 after the All-Star break.

Krivsky said it would be up to Baker how Patterson might be used in a lineup.

Lofton was seeking a big league contract but a deal didn't come together with the Reds' 40-man roster full. Patterson will join Norris Hopper, Ryan Freel and top prospect Jay Bruce to battle for the vacant starting spot in center.

The Patterson signing could put a dent in Bruce's chances. The 20-year-old is currently day-to-day with a mildly strained left quadriceps muscle.

"It just adds to the competition we have," Krivsky said. "It's a chance to compete, that's all. There are no guarantees for either one."

Hairston is a lifetime .253 hitter that spent 1998-2004 with the Orioles. He also played for Baker in Chicago in 2005-06. In 73 games last season with the Rangers, the 31-year-old batted .189 with three homers and 16 RBIs.

"He has experience at second base, shortstop, third base and all three outfield positions," Krivsky said. "He's just another versatile guy for our bench that could do several things to help us win a game."

Patterson, who lives in Atlanta, was expected to be in camp on Tuesday morning but not play in the afternoon game vs. the Indians. Hairston is scheduled to fly to town from Arizona and arrive at the Reds' complex some time during the day.
grin.gif

Maybe you could sign Sammy too.
laugh.gif

Corey Patterson is such a bust. I thought he was gonna be a monster...then he got hurt and never looked the same.

So this Pujols injury isn't serious enough to keep him from playing, but it could become serious if he tweaks it......

Man Pujols is a damn stud. How you gonna have basically a destroyed elbow for 5 years, and he just keeps plugging along. Just crazy. I guess that's whyhe'll go down as one of the immortals. Props to that dude.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by aRog27

Corey Patterson is such a bust. I thought he was gonna be a monster...then he got hurt and never looked the same.

^ i never liked him he was always tryin to hard even b4 he got hurt, every other at bat was a strike or pop out.

If i remember correctly, Patterson was having a fine first half of the season, then got hurt and had a horrid second half....

If i remember correctly, Patterson was having a fine first half of the season, then got hurt and had a horrid second half....

Correct. As for Hairston Jr, didn't he get flagged for steroids or something? Hes from my hometown and I recall playing Little League with him and hisbrother. His Dad played for the White Sox.

Yeah, I think I am going to stay away from Pujols in my fantasy league - that position is pretty deep and I don't need my first rd pick blowing out anelbow before June. He's gonna need a Barry Bonds-esque elbow guard.

Yeah Flint, Hairston was mentioned in steroid talks, and let's not forget, he's the main guy that the Cubs got in the Sammy Sosa trade toBaltimore.....yikes.....

Goooo Cubbies...

[h1]Cubs' Pie out 3-5 days with Twisted Testicle
[/h1]
By Paul Sullivan

MARYVALE, Ariz. -- Centerfielder Felix Pie will undergo surgery on Monday to correct a personal problem and miss 3-5 days, manager Lou Piniella announcedbefore the Cubs-Brewers game.

Pie is suffering from what's called testicular torsion, or, in layman's terms, atwisted testicle. It happened early in camp, but Pie had the problem reduced manually, sources said, and was able to continue playing. He was scheduled to havethe corrective surgery on the Cubs off-day next Monday, but when Pie reported to camp with soreness Monday, the Cubs decided to get the procedure donetoday.

The surgery involves sewing the outer layer of the testicle to the scrotum wall. The Cubs said it was a minor procedure, and if the problem was notcorrected soon, Pie would risk losing the testicle.

It's not known how Pie incurred the injury, but it's not uncommon. Some men are more susceptible to it than others, but it usually happens in lateadolescence.

Piniella delicately called it Pie's "situation" and said it shouldn't keep him from competing for the centerfield job. Pie is leading SamFuld, who will get most of the playing time in Pie's absence.

[h1]Cubs' Pie out 3-5 days with Twisted Testicle
[/h1]
By Paul Sullivan

MARYVALE, Ariz. -- Centerfielder Felix Pie will undergo surgery on Monday to correct a personal problem and miss 3-5 days, manager Lou Piniella announced before the Cubs-Brewers game.

Pie is suffering from what's called testicular torsion, or, in layman's terms, a twisted testicle. It happened early in camp, but Pie had the problem reduced manually, sources said, and was able to continue playing. He was scheduled to have the corrective surgery on the Cubs off-day next Monday, but when Pie reported to camp with soreness Monday, the Cubs decided to get the procedure done today.

The surgery involves sewing the outer layer of the testicle to the scrotum wall. The Cubs said it was a minor procedure, and if the problem was not corrected soon, Pie would risk losing the testicle.

It's not known how Pie incurred the injury, but it's not uncommon. Some men are more susceptible to it than others, but it usually happens in late adolescence.

Piniella delicately called it Pie's "situation" and said it shouldn't keep him from competing for the centerfield job. Pie is leading Sam Fuld, who will get most of the playing time in Pie's absence.
Uhhhhhhhhh. I think I would punch whoever in the Cubs organiztion that said it was a MINOR procedure. Anbody looking at my spot with a knife and some gloves better be in the zone or I'm crackin him.

This story should have it's own thread.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom