OFFICIAL 2009 BOSTON RED SOX SEASON THREAD - (95-67) - Red Sox vs Angels - ALDS - Series 0-0

3 out of 4 seems good. And we dont see Buehrle. I actually liked Tazawa, he looked solid against the Yankees. Im confident in this rotation, we should be ableto make a nice run this last month and a half. Put Penny in the bullpen if anything. DO NOT let that man start again. Hopefully with the Cy Young talk shutdown Beckett can get back to pitching how he is supposed to.

mike lowell
pimp.gif

Last night was not looking good at first. Then possibly the sloppiest baseball Ive ever seen happen by the part of the Chicago White Sox. Its nice to see thatwe can win in shootouts, but our pitching needs to get locked in for when we make the playoffs. We cant be expected to score 7+ runs a game in the playoffs.

And Mike Lowell getting the Fenway swing back. Im liking that. Now Varitek needs to play limited games. And when I say limited I mean maybe 1 or two games aweek. Because our best lineup is clearly Youk at 1st, Lowell at 3rd, Ortiz as DH, and Vic behind the plate.

yeah cosign on mikey lowell getting that green monster swing back. we needed that. and our pitching definitely has to get with the program quick. they'vebeen struggling.

[h2]Source: Mets get 2 players for Wagner[/h2]

Comment Email Print http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat scroll left top; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;">Share
ESPN.com news services

Billy Wagner will pitch for the Red Sox this season, after all.

Wagner agreed to waive his no-trade clause in the final minutes before Tuesday's deadline and the fireballing left-handed reliever was traded from the Mets to Boston for two players to be named later, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

3375.jpg

Wagner

The Red Sox agreed to not pick up Wagner's option for 2010, but they have retained the right to offer arbitration, which means that they still could get two draft picks for him if he departs as a free agent.

It's a stunning about-face after it appeared Wagner wouldn't agree to a trade to Boston due to contractual issues and his availability to pitch as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

Wagner was set to decline the trade to Boston until an hour before the deadline, his agent, Bean Stringfellow, told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand. At that time, Wagner called Stringfellow, and told him, "I'm going to throw caution to the wind and I'm going to go to Boston."

The two spoke about it for a few minutes and then Wagner's mind was made up, according ot Stringfellow. Wagner was hesitant to go because he didn't want Boston to pick up his $8 million option for next year because he would like to close. He didn't want them to offer him arbitration because then when he became a free agent teams would have to give Boston first and second round picks as compensation. And, thirdly, he didn't want to go because he is in the 11th month of a 14th month rehab and he is only supposed to pitch once every third day.

In the end, he decided that at 38 he would take his chances and head to Boston.

After the Mets' 6-2 loss to Philadelphia on Monday, Wagner said he was set to travel with the team to Florida. New York begins a three-game series against the Marlins on Tuesday night.

"Right now I'm going to Florida. Unless something changes in Boston, I'm going to be a Met," he said.

The 38-year-old Wagner is sixth on the career list with 385 saves. He said he would like to reach 400 and then pass John Franco (424) for the most by a left-handed pitcher.

"I'd like to get at that level," Wagner said. "There's not many people in that 400 club."

Wagner wants to be a closer next season, regardless of which team he's on.

"I don't want to end my career as a set-up man," Wagner said. "I'd like to have that option."

Wagner was expected to miss the entire season following elbow ligament replacement surgery in September. He made a quick recovery and returned to the Mets on Thursday night, when he struck out two in a perfect inning against Atlanta and reached 96 mph with his fastball.

He pitched another scoreless inning against the Phillies on Monday.

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Our bullpen has been fine for the most part, it's our starting pitching that sucks.

if he's healthy and doesn't plan on pulling an eric gagne, i like the move. the pen def needs another arm.

wonder who we gave up tho. any of you guys hear anything on that? im out of town so i dont have any boston media access
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

if he's healthy and doesn't plan on pulling an eric gagne, i like the move. the pen def needs another arm.
Basically. A good arm is never a bad thing.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Will Delcarmen and Papelbon greet Wagner at the airport?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i doubt it

i need onewearz to put papelbon's head on michael j fox's body
laugh.gif

I was telling my other friends that Delcarmen and Paps will probably treat Wagner to a Boston dinner the night he comes here...by taking him to thatMcDonald's in Chinatown
laugh.gif

I cant quote. But DS I got you when I get back to the house later. And I like the move for Wagner as we didnt give up anything substatial in return. He is usedto pitching in a pressusre town, so Boston should be no big deal. The only thing is that the Mets satdium is kinda a pitchers park so he may have to keep hisfly balls to a minimum

O and who cars what Pap has to say right now. When he no longer forces me to have a my finger on the life alert button incase I collapse from a heart attack,then he can talk but until then just shut up and pitch, realtalk.

this jerk better not want sandman played when he enters in boston. you guys will clowned worst than the mets did .........

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

O and who cars what Pap has to say right now. When he no longer forces me to have a my finger on the life alert button incase I collapse from a heart attack, then he can talk but until then just shut up and pitch, realtalk.

610x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom