...::::Official 2010 MLB N.L. Central Thread::::...

arstyle27

Supporter
The time has come folks. With players reporting to Spring Training across the league, baseball is officially back. The journey begins again.
This thread is always the best baseball thread on Niketalk. I can't wait to continue the tradition for another year. Shouts to all the usuals, who will, no doubt, find their way back here soon.

Cards.gif

St. Louis Cardinals

Starting point: 91-71, 1st (lost to Dodgers in the first round).

Project manager: John Mozeliak.

General contractor: Tony La Russa.

Bones: No team in the majors features a combination of starting pitchers like Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright and a middle-of-the-lineup combination like Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday.

New materials: RHP Brad Penny, LHP Rich Hill, hitting coach Mark McGwire.

In the dumpster: 3B-1B-OF Mark DeRosa, RHP Joel Pineiro, RHP John Smoltz, CF Rick Ankiel, 3B Troy Glaus, RHP Todd Wellemeyer.

Job description: The investment in Pujols, Holliday andCarpenter ($47.5 million from a payroll of about $90 million) leaves LaRussa hoping David Freese can handle third base and that pitching coachDave Duncan can work a miracle or two with the pitching staff (seeHill).

Unknowns: Is shortstop Brendan Ryan as talented as he appearedlast year, when he hit .292 and got to more groundballs than guys likeElvis Andrus, Jack Wilson and Cesar Izturis?

Final inspection: This is a solid favorite but could be undone by an injury or two.

cub-logo-brand-design.gif

Chicago Cubs

Starting point: 83-78, 2nd.

Project manager: Jim Hendry.

General contractor: Lou Piniella.

Bones: With the exception of closer Kerry Wood, all the key parts remain from teams that won Central titles in 2007 and '08.

New materials: Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, CF Marlon Byrd, LF-RF-1B Xavier Nady, RHP Carlos Silva, RHP Jeff Gray, 3B-1B Chad Tracy.

In the dumpster: OF Milton Bradley, RHP Rich Harden, RHP Kevin Gregg, OF Reed Johnson, OF-1B-3B Jake Fox, INF Aaron Miles.

Job description: This veteran team needs a pleasant surprise out of Sean Marshall, Jeff Samardzija and/or Tom Gorzelanny, etc., as well as to get its money's worth from Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster and Kosuke Fukudome. It's on Piniella to construct a dependable bullpen around closer Carlos Marmol, who hasn't inspired confidence.

Unknowns: Starter Ted Lilly could be out until June. Nady, a threat to Fukudome in right field, is regaining arm strength after elbow surgery and could open season on the DL.

Final inspection: They were built for October but open camp as the third or fourth best team in the division.

Brewers.gif

Milwaukee Brewers

Starting point: 80-82, 3rd.

Project manager: Doug Melvin.

General contractor: Ken Macha.

Bones: A lineup built around Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder was third in the NL in runs and home runs last year.

New materials: LHP Randy Wolf, LHP Doug Davis, RHP LaTroy Hawkins, CF Carlos Gomez, C Gregg Zaun, OF Norris Hopper.

In the dumpster: SS J.J. Hardy, CF Mike Cameron, C Jason Kendall, RHP Braden Looper, RHP David Weathers, 2B Felipe Lopez, OF Frank Catalanotto.

Job description: No team in the NL had worse starting pitching a year ago than the Brewers, who had a 5.37 rotation ERA after the departures of CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets. Yovani Gallardo, Wolf and Davis could make this group solid, but veterans Jeff Suppan and David Bush are questionable enough that they could lose their jobs to Manny Parra or a spring training pickup.

Unknowns: Can closer Trevor Hoffman stay strong at 42? Was Cubs' discard Casey McGehee (.859 OPS) a fluke last season?

Final inspection: Rookie shortstop Alcides Escobar joins Braun (26) and Fielder (25) in formidable lineup.

blog_reds.jpg

Cincinnati Reds

Starting point: 78-84, 4th.

Project manager: Walt Jocketty.

General contractor: Dusty Baker.

Bones: Instead of mailing it in, the Reds quietly went 27-13down the stretch to finish 2009 playing as well as any team in the NL.The key was pitching, as the Reds limited opponents to three runs orless in 21 of those games.

New materials: LHP Aroldis Chapman, SS Orlando Cabrera.

In the dumpster: LF Jonny Gomes, RHP Kip Wells.

Job description: Baker will concentrate on improving aninexperienced outfield that could have Chris Dickerson in left, DrewStubbs in center and Jay Bruce in right.

Unknowns: Edinson Volquez, who is expected to miss the firsthalf recovering from Tommy John surgery, and the Cuban import Chapmancould make this a strong rotation if they contribute behind JohnnyCueto, Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang. Chapman is a potentialdominator, but no one knows whether he can contribute in 2010. Rookieoutfielder Chris Heisey is another X-factor.

Final inspection: This team isn't as far from competing as most think.

Astros.gif

Houston Astros

Starting point: 74-88, 5th.

Project manager: Ed Wade.

General contractor: Brad Mills.

Bones: Managerial changes have been the order of the day sincePhil Garner got sacked after taking Astros to 2005 World Series. Millsinherits a team lacking young talent and direction, as it was outscored770-643. Its strength is the outfield of Carlos Lee, Michael Bourn and Hunter Pence.

New materials: Starter Brett Myers, closer Matt Lindstrom, 3B Pedro Feliz, RHP Brandon Lyon.

In the dumpster: Closer Jose Valverde, SS Miguel Tejada, setup man LaTroy Hawkins, OF/1B Darin Erstad.

Job description: Mills' work starts with strengthening the pitching staff behind his top two starters, Roy Oswalt and Wandy Rodriguez.

Unknowns: Owner Drayton McLane is looking to cash out, so aspring training sale of the team is in play. Is Oswalt still committedto his original team? He would be valuable property if he triggered atrade. Can rookie Tommy Manzella adequately replace Tejada atshortstop? Is catcher Jason Castro ready?

Final inspection: Tejada will be missed. Mills faces a huge challenge in managing debut.

Pittsburgh_Pirates_46155e70d032a.png

Pittsburgh Pirates

Starting point: 62-99, 6th.

Project manager: Neal Huntington.

General contractor: John Russell.

Bones: They were last in the majors in runs scored last season,partly because Huntington traded Freddy Sanchez, Adam LaRoche, NateMcLouth, Jack Wilson, Nyjer Morgan and Eric Hinske during the season.

New materials: 2B Akinori Iwamura, OF Ryan Church, RHP Octavio Dotel (the projected closer), RHP D.J. Carrasco, LHP Javier Lopez, RHP Brandon Donnelly, RHP Chris Jakubauskas, INF Bobby Crosby.

In the dumpster: Closer Matt Capps, LHP Phil Dumatrait, INF Brian Bixler.

Job description: Lacking a single player who has driven in morethan 70 runs in a big league season, Russell must construct a lineupthat scores runs.

Unknowns: How long before rising prospects Pedro Alvarez(3B) and Jose Tabata (OF) arrive? What can CF Andrew McCutchen, LFLastings Milledge and RF-1B Garrett Jones do in a full season?

Final inspection: Few teams will face tougher decisions at the end of camp, with the closer role and perhaps 10 roster spots in the air.

Yo CP, what are the odds I'd make it two minutes before you???!?!?

Wow...
roll.gif

Originally Posted by arstyle27

How are you a Packer fan Retro???

I live in Maine so i have no local ties to any of these teams
laugh.gif

when i was little my favorite players played on the teams i like now, i just stayed with the teams as i grew up
Green Bay-Favre
Rockets-Hakeem
Astros-Bagwell+Biggio

Well that makes sense I guess...lol

Surprised ur not a Red Sox or Yankee fan, being from out East and stuff. It's all good though.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Astros-Bagwell+Biggio
I am a Cardinal fan 100% but I was a huge fan of both of these guys, especially Bags. Always went to see the Cards play the Stros at Busch when I was little.

I am looking forward to another season full of fun and games and the occasional daily trash talkin'. Hopefully the Central can sneak in 2 teams this year, but frankly I don't see that happening.

Originally Posted by JCH3

Astros-Bagwell+Biggio
I am a Cardinal fan 100% but I was a huge fan of both of these guys, especially Bags. Always went to see the Cards play the Stros at Busch when I was little.

I am looking forward to another season full of fun and games and the occasional daily trash talkin'. Hopefully the Central can sneak in 2 teams this year, but frankly I don't see that happening.
I'm sure that's because you know the Cubs are winning the division, right?

happy.gif

Astros-Bagwell+Biggio

I'm sure that's because you know the Cubs are winning the division, right?

happy.gif
And it starts...
laugh.gif

this is the most optimistic i've been about the Reds in years.

RHP Bronson Arroyo: Best ERA in baseball (2.07) from July 10 till the end of season.

RHP Johnny Cueto: Will no Winter Ball help him maintain his stuff? Was 8-4 with a 2.69 ERA after 16 starts.

RHP Homer Bailey: He was 6-1 with a 1.70 ERA after Aug. 23.

RHP Francisco Cordero: Coming off an All-Star year. Converted 39 of 43 saves. Was overpowering at times.

RHP Nick Masset: Breakthrough year. Opposition hit .203 off him.

Orlando Cabrera SS: He drove in 77 runs last year. Reds Hall of Famer Barry Larkin only surpassed that total twice in his career.

Joey Votto 1B: Finished third in the National League in OPS (on-base plus slugging) behind Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.

Brandon Phillips 2B: Most team will take 20 home runs, 98 RBI from their second baseman.

Scott Rolen 3B: The Reds were 26-11 with him in the lineup.

Jay Bruce RF: His 22 home run and 58 RBI project to 35 and 92 over a 550-at-bat season. If he can get his average up - it was .223 last year -- the sky's the limit.

OF Laynce Nix: Plenty of power (15 homers, 26 doubles in 309 at-bats). Solid defensively.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

I am not looking forward to this season at all. At all.

My man, we have a good squad. It's gonna be a good year. We need the optimism, man.

Have a good feeling about this season. Can't wait.

Hopefully Aroldis Chapman or Mike Leake has a good enough spring to win the 5th spot.

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

Hopefully Aroldis Chapman or Mike Leake has a good enough spring to win the 5th spot.

The Reds have a lot of talent, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they contended for a Wild Card or better.

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

The Reds have a lot of talent, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they contended for a Wild Card or better.

Starting pitching is somewhat suspect with Volquez being out until after the All Star break, seeing if Homer and Cueto can put a full solid season together, and if the Harang from two years ago will ever be back.

Also, the outfield is very skethcy right now.

I really like the infield and bullpen though.

Yeah...I don't know if the Reds' have enough starting pitching to contend, but you never know. A new season always brings hope............unless you're the Pirates.

Well that makes sense I guess...lol

Surprised ur not a Red Sox or Yankee fan, being from out East and stuff. It's all good though.

I HATE the red sox. More than any other team
laugh.gif
i would rather the cubs win the series than the red sox. I just live here and see how they are the most annoying fan base/media in all of sports.
Them and the patriots can just stop playing if was up to me. I could do without their fans
laugh.gif

i just had to teams forced on me. My pops was/is a Dolphins/Pirates fan cause of Marino and Clemente so i never had that local team thrown at me

i like cincy this year alot but only if volquez is healthy

they do need another bat i think....jermaine dye would be cheap to get....

i see them ending up 2nd or 3rd....btw who the startin cf?

GotHolesInMySocks wrote:

i see them ending up 2nd or 3rd....btw who the startin cf?

Drew Stubbs, he played pretty well towards the end of last season.

Back
Top Bottom