Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Never knew Iron Man worked at Universal City Walk. Always thought he actually finished high school and got a half decent job. Guess not. He's just like all the other Dodgers fans.

Kruk and Kuip

pimp.gif

I'd like to see Posey moved from catcher. I'd hate to see our future get beat up behind the plate. First base is in his future. Stacker-2 is in Pablo's future.

After coming home from the game is....

What's the matter with Renteria?  He's a BUM.

Might go to the game tomorrow night too...Cain vs. Johnson should be a great matchup

[h3]Posey a man for all fields  [/h3]
July, 27, 2010
Jul 27

8:17

AM ET

mlb_i_bposey1_576.jpg
Getty ImagesWith Posey, it's not that he has a great approach, it's that his approach includes the whole field.

A talent evaluator crossed paths with Buster Posey in spring training and watched him in a few games at the time. The same evaluator recently got a chance to see the Giants rookie again. "I cannot believe what a difference there is in him," said the evaluator. "He's like a sponge, in terms of the information he has absorbed and the adjustments he has made. He is the most impressive young player I've seen in years. Years."

Really? Who does he remind you of?

Edgar Martinez at the plate," said the evaluator. "If you throw him a fastball hard on the inner half, he will carve it to right-center field, with power. If you throw him soft stuff middle-in, he will pull it. If you throw him a fastball away, he will take it to right field. This kid ... what a great young hitter. You ought to look at his spray chart -- I bet he has hits all over the place."

OK. Here it is, courtesy of MLB.com, and it shows exactly what the evaluator is talking about. Posey, even at 23 years old, uses the whole dang field, with power.

"He's getting better as a catcher, too," said the evaluator. "He's quicker on the transfer of the ball when he throws to second base. You can see, in how he carries himself, he's going to be a take-charge type of guy. I love watching him play."

Posey is the Giants' best position player since Barry Bonds, Tim Kawakami writes.

---

The Giants lost on Monday night, John Shea writes. Jason Heyward and Stephen Strasburg are also part of what appears to be a tough battle for the National League Rookie of the Year, writes Carroll Rogers. It's worth repeating: Right now, I think Jaime Garcia has separated himself -- slightly -- from the rest of the rookie pack.

Renteria is a biggest piece of %%!# alive. I'd rather have Sanchez work out of his slump in the 2-hole than have Renteria going 0-5.

[table][tr][th="col"]J. Johnson Fla
7669.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]M. Cain SF
7495.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]10-3[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]8-8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.61[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]3.10[/td] [/tr][tr][td]141[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]100[/td] [/tr][tr][td]29[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]46[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.97[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.16[/td][/tr][/table]
RF Torres
2B Sanchez
LF Huff
C Posey
3B Uribe
1B Ishikawa
CF Rowand
SS Renteria
P Cain

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/giants-discussing-guillen-interested-in-willingham.html[/h1]
[h1]Giants Discussing Guillen, Interested In Willingham[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 27 at 3:59pm CST]

The San Francisco offense is heating up, but the Giants are still looking for outfield bats. The Royals are discussing Jose Guillen with San Francisco, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The potential deal would send the 34-year-old to San Francisco along with cash to cover some of the $4.5MM or so remaining on Guillen’s contract. 

But Jayson Stark of ESPN.com hears (via Twitter) from a rival official who believes the Royals have “no real options

[h1]Giants Not Making Progress With Brewers[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 27 at 6:38pm CST]

The Giants are still actively looking for an impact bat, but discussions about Brewers sluggers Corey Hart and Prince Fielder are "dead in the water," according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle (Twitter links). That's not a surprise, since Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported on Twitter that the Brewers plan to hold off on trades until tomorrow at the earliest. Hart has an injured right wrist, so the Brewers aren't likely to deal him until he proves his ability to hit.

Injuries to Hart and David DeJesus have not derailed the Giants' search for a bat. They have been connected to Jose Guillen, Josh Willingham, Scott Podsednik and Adam Dunn in the last 24 hours. GM Brian Sabean is also interested in adding relief help, though the market is tough at this point.

Can someone inform Cain that he's not throwing 95 mph anymore and his fastballs belt-high over the plate aren't fooling anyone?

Back
Top Bottom