Official 2011-2012 Dallas Mavericks Thread (31-26) Vol: Take a Hike Odom

[h2]Dallas Mavericks’ Nine Man Rotation Not Quite There[/h2]
ba9a9a3b71bddd03543d03ee3835cdd0
Posted by shawnpwilliams on Dec 22nd, 2011 and filed under FeaturedOpinionRecent PostsSports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

• http://widgets.digg.com/i...sMedium_3.0cab1d23.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; display: inline-block; zoom: 1; height: 68px; text-align: center; width: 54px; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">0digg
[*][*]
http://w.sharethis.com/sh...cebook_arrow_below.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 44px; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); width: 60px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; display: block; line-height: 16px; background-position: 10px 40px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">
/w.sharethis.com/images/facebook_counter.png);">http://w.sharethis.com/images/facebook_counter.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; display: inline-block; white-space: nowrap; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; width: 60px; position: relative; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; "> /w.sharethis.com/share4x/images/service-icons-sprite.png);">http://w.sharethis.com/sh...rvice-icons-sprite.png); background-attachment: scroll; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; white-space: nowrap; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; display: inline-block; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-position: 0px -460px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Email/w.sharethis.com/share4x/images/service-icons-sprite.png);">http://w.sharethis.com/sh...rvice-icons-sprite.png); background-attachment: scroll; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); white-space: nowrap; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; display: inline-block; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; background-position: 0px -1080px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Share[*]SHAREBAR
By Shawn Williams

Last year at this time I would have laughed at the assertion of the Dallas Mavericks as championship contenders. It wasn’t until Jason Terry and Peja Stojakovic rained a parade of 3′s on the L.A. Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals that I became a believer.  When the season started I thought the team was too old and carried too much baggage.  When Caron Butler went down, it all seemed lost. I was wrong just like everyone else outside the team’s locker room.

So this year I’m willing to give the Mavericks all the latitude in the world as they round out the roster that will compete to retain their title. The 2011-2012 Mavericks seem to be extremely deep.  If Roddy B. and Dominique Jones could move forward they’re even deeper.

But come playoff time when the bench gets shorter and minutes get hard to come by, what matters most are the guys at the top of the postseason rotation. When Brendon Heywood was limited by injuries conference finals and NBA Finals, and Peja Stojakovic fell back to Earth, the Mavs were really playing a 7 man rotation: Jason Kidd, DeShawn Stevenson, Shawn Marion, Dirk, Tyson Chandler, J.J. Barea and Jet Terry.

In the Finals, the Mavs got some memorable minutes from Ian Mahinmi and The Custodian Brian Cardinal.  But really it was the seven players above who did the heavy lifting in the Finals for sure and through most of the playoffs.

I held out hope the Mavs would bring back Stevenson (reports are he’s signed with the New Jersey Nets), but now three of those seven players are gone.  A comparison of last year’s 9 deep roster vs. this year’s as currently constructed makes me optimistic but not convinced.

I make one assumption in my comparison: the returning players are equal pieces to this year’s team as they were to last year.  You could make an argument that say Dirk is better because of the championship run or J. Kidd is a step slower this year but think it’s all a wash.

Position/2010-2011 Player (Champs)/2011-12 Player (Current)

Point Guard Jason Kidd - Wash

Shooting Guard DeShawn Stevenson/Vince Carter – Advantage Current

This is a slight advantage for the new team.  Stevenson was a Maverick no one wanted to tangle with.  Last year he was a Kobe stopper and a LeBron Stopper.  Stevenson only averaged 5 points in the regular season but stepped it up in the postseason.  Some of his ill-advised three pointers found the bottom of the net and were huge.

If Vince Carter can come in and average 14-15 points again and give the Mavs a little something on defense he can make up the points that leave with Chandler and Stevenson both.

Small Forward Shawn Marion – Wash

Power Forward Dirk – Wash

Center Tyson Chandler/Brendon Heywood – Advantage Champs

This is a pretty big advantage for last year’s team.  Not just in points and rebounds (Chandler averaged 10 points/9 rebounds last year) but intangibles.  You can’t measure the toughness and energy Chandler brought to the Mavericks each and every time he stepped on the court.

Heywood doesn’t play the game that way, but that doesn’t mean he can’t pick up some of the statistical slack from Chandler’s departure.

Guard off the bench Jason Terry – Wash

Guard off the bench J.J. Barea/Delonte West – Advantage Champs

In the playoffs the Lakers and Heat had no answer for the quickness of Barea.  They couldn’t stop him on offense and couldn’t exploit him on defense.  He earned a lot of minutes in crunch time, and it’s hard to envision a scenario where West would be an option late in games.

But West has played in big games in his career, which could benefit the Mavs. That doesn’t make up for J.J. of the playoffs, who gained the respect of the entire league last postseason.

Forward off the bench Peja Stojakovic/Lamar Odom – Advantage Current

This is the biggest advantage of this year’s squad, especially when you consider how Peja disappeared late in the playoffs.  Lamar Odom makes up for some of the intangibles that were lost with Chandler.  He’s tough, experienced and can obviously score from all over the court.

Odom’s length is a problem for opponents on both ends of the floor. He seemed to be much more interested in the preseason (from a competition standpoint) than has Maverick teammates.

The Lakers could not have done what they did without Odom’s valuable contributions.  The Mavericks cannot do what they hope to do without the same from Odom this seasons.

Backup Center Brendon Heywood/Ian Mahinmi – Advantage Champs

This is another big advantage for last year’s team.  If you compare the 3 deep center rotation last year to this year’s it’s not even close as of today. Brendon Heywood gave the Mavs an NBA starter coming off the bench last season. In a league with fewer true centers each year that was huge.

Though Mahinmi made a valuable contribution in the Finals I’m not ready to say he’s better than Heywood.  If he was he would be starting. I feel like this is an area the Mavs will look to address as the season goes on.

Advantage goes to last years team obviously because they proved it. But I won’t count out this year’s team and the potential that they returning players will dial it up.  With a 66 game schedule there won’t be much time to gel, so let’s get it going guys.

Mavs fans!!!!

yall excited?!?!!?!?!?

I'll be going to florida tomorrow for a few days, I'll try and post a bit from there.

Game Day is almost here!!!

hold it down

I'm exited, but dont't know why we let all these dudes go,

Especially Tyson and Deshawn.
30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif

and this game isn't looking good.
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif

We got dominated out there today.
30t6p3b.gif
We'll get better as games go by.

A lot of my friends are telling me OKC is winning the west, but I believe Mavs still have a legit chance to return to the finals.

And I really hope we land Dwight or D-Will, guys. *Crosses fingers*

Merry Christmas, fellow Mavs fans!
pimp.gif

^i hope we get Dwight. Would be sweet to have D Will since he is from Dallas. Hopefully tomorrow goes better

Brend"a" Haywood has got to be/has been the worst center in the league since Dampier, not only is he frail....dude just seems lost at allllll times on both ends of the floor.
Someone gives him a perfect assist for the easy dunk? He bobbles the pass.

Someone takes an ill-advised shot under the hoop when all he has to do is stick his hands straight up to alter the shot...he hakes the fu** out of them for 2 free throws or gives up and easy and-1.

I see Mahimi being the starter by season's end, he has a lot of raw talent and just needs more experience/time in the system and he could be real solid IMO.

I'm still upset they let my boy Stevenson go
30t6p3b.gif
he's that goon that every championship team needs.

They look terrible...it's like they didn't do anything during those 2 weeks of training camp except reminisce on the last season 
laugh.gif
Seriously, it's not even about chemistry, I'm seeing a bunch of lazy ballhandling/passing, guys looking like it's the first day back to school from winter break. That seems to be their approach though, they're just gonna take it slowly and see what happens. I remember Donnie Nelson said that the goal is to just make the playoffs, it doesn't matter what seed. Prepare for a bunch of blowouts like this for the first 1-2 months.

Haywood cannot be the center though, he's just not athletic enough to guard the pick and roll and he looks like a deer in headlights whenever he gets the ball. Mahinmi isn't any better either. The starting job is Sean Williams' to lose IMO. The Mavs are a team that rely so much on crisp execution that leads to open looks so without that chemistry on the floor, they're gonna struggle on offense. Players that know how to get the ball and finish without set plays will help early on and that's exactly what Williams can do.

Team is straight boo boo Moves will have to be made a lot sooner than expected Repeating will be tough but not impossible

Another night, another poor defensive/rebounding effort... I'm not putting too much stock into the first 5 games though, considering we had a verrrry slow start last year and we saw how that worked out.

Originally Posted by DallasSneakerHead08

Another night, another poor defensive/rebounding effort... I'm not putting too much stock into the first 5 games though, considering we had a verrrry slow start last year and we saw how that worked out.

I don't disagree at all with the comments you made about the first 2 games of this season so far but  "we had a verrrry slow start last year"? They raced off to a 24-5 start before Dirk got hurt 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jonwin

I don't disagree at all with the comments you made about the first 2 games of this season so far but  "we had a verrrry slow start last year"? They raced off to a 24-5 start before Dirk got hurt 
laugh.gif
Yeah. I guess I gassed up our 3-2 start a bit
laugh.gif
, in which we looked a bit flat but squeaked by IMO, before we ripped off the 16/18 w's...but you feel what I'm saying about how easy it could be to turn things around simply by putting forth more effort all around.

Originally Posted by jonwin

laugh.gif
Yeah. I guess I gassed up our 3-2 start a bit
laugh.gif
, in which we looked a bit flat but squeaked by IMO, before we ripped off the 16/18 w's...but you feel what I'm saying about how easy it could be to turn things around simply by putting forth more effort all around.
Yea, I hope they can click and go on a tear. Maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction but I don't have a good feeling about how this regular season gonna play out for the Mavs. Stupid lock-out really gonna hurt teams like the Mavs that added new pieces and need time to gel to find chemistry since those 10-15 games (give or take) that teams usually have in an 82 gm season to tinker around with are gone this year. That in addition to all the back-to-back and back-to-back-to-back games compacted in between not gonna help the Mavs at all
30t6p3b.gif

frown.gif

Imagine if last season was cut short to 66 games and the Heat got off to that rough patch and experimental stages of a 9-8 start? That whole "The sky is falling" cloud that was raining over their heads would've turned into a apocalyptic typhoon 
laugh.gif

I'm kind of surprised by VC's passing. I haven't had a chance to watch a full-game yet, that'll be this Thursdays game against OKC, so I can't say too much. I know the defense has been horrible, and I know the rebounding hasn't been great, but I suspect that also we just haven't been able to gel on offense. I mean I can't blame them either. So many new additions to the roster.

Sean Williams is a nice piece to try and add in here if he can put forth the effort that I saw him put in during a few plays.

Let's just hope these guys start to gel.

rough start but I didn't expect us to storm out of the gate.

Team needs to gel and need that 1 great performance to give us confidence, lets see what the rest of the week takes place.

Just wondering... Where do you guys usually go for Mavs news, articles, etc.?

Should've kept Rudy and Brewer. Athletic players that have energy on defense and can run the floor and get you easy baskets in transition are important for every team right now. With Roddy and Sean Williams, we've got guard and front court covered (assuming RC keeps playing them, which is another matter) but we lack speed/athleticism at the wing.

Who the hell made the schedule for the Mavs?

Played 2 preseason games vs the Thunder and now third game of the season is vs OKC...why the hell did this happen?

Back
Top Bottom