Official 2011 Wimbledon Thread (vol. start on the last page)

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Fed always had the low-key arrogance... he let's it out sometime though (see jackets with 15)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I haven't really paid attention to it but I do see it sometimes.
I remember a few members kept pointing it out and hated Fed for it.  I never understood it.  
laugh.gif

He has sort of like a polite, gentleman's arrogance.  It's better than someone being obnoxious.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

Fed always had the low-key arrogance... he let's it out sometime though (see jackets with 15)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I remember a few members kept pointing it out and hated Fed for it.  I never understood it.  
laugh.gif

He has sort of like a polite, gentleman's arrogance.  It's better than someone being obnoxious.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

Yeah I noticed the Fed arrogance long long before it became obvious. Even as he approached 15 he would make comments that like, "well only one other person on the planet knows what I'm feeling." then after that it would be "Obviously no one knows what this feels like."

Or something like that. It borders on gentlemanly and very very smug to me. Either way, I like him more than DJOKER.

Yeah I noticed the Fed arrogance long long before it became obvious. Even as he approached 15 he would make comments that like, "well only one other person on the planet knows what I'm feeling." then after that it would be "Obviously no one knows what this feels like."

Or something like that. It borders on gentlemanly and very very smug to me. Either way, I like him more than DJOKER.

Congrats to Fed, but he's going to be killed in the Final. Roger has enough physically to beat Rafa, but he's just so mentally fragile against him.
And regarding Roger's honesty on the court, that's just the way he's been his entire career. It's not bad sportsmanship or trying to show up his opponent, he's just brutally blunt and will say what's on his mind.

The main gripe I have with Roger is crying after he loses. That's a major professional sports no-no for me.

Congrats to Fed, but he's going to be killed in the Final. Roger has enough physically to beat Rafa, but he's just so mentally fragile against him.
And regarding Roger's honesty on the court, that's just the way he's been his entire career. It's not bad sportsmanship or trying to show up his opponent, he's just brutally blunt and will say what's on his mind.

The main gripe I have with Roger is crying after he loses. That's a major professional sports no-no for me.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

It's better than someone being obnoxious.
Completely disagree. Infinitely worse.

And yes, I was one of those people (the one, really).

Yeah, I was basically referring to you.  I think a few others agreed as well.
For me, I don't see it as mean spirited.  That's just the way he is, it's his personality.

I'm a quiet person as well, never been a fan of loud people and their noise pollution.

For me, I don't see it as mean spirited.  That's just the way he is, it's his personality.

I'm a quiet person as well, never been a fan of loud people and their noise pollution.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Pretty much.  The final will be a straight set beat down.    

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Pretty much.  The final will be a straight set beat down.    

Please count me in as well.  I may have mentioned this before, but I was never a fan of Fed.  Not denying that he's a very talented player, but ever since the beginning, his comments never sat well with me.  Like Prostaffer put it, "smug" would be a good way too put it.  And yeah, crying when Rafa beat him at Wimbledon and Aussie Open was absolutely unacceptable.  Rafa ended up consoling him, which was ridiculous.  Regarding the 15-jacket, you can say Nike had a hand in that, but at the same time, it had to have had the OK from Fed... he didn't seem to disagree with the jacket.  A lot of Fed fans praise him for his success (fair enough), but then they proceed to say how 'classy' of a champion he is... ummm... 'classy' also applies to how you act when you lose.  Many people seem to just want to look past some of his actions.
I agree... I don't see it as mean-spirited, but some of the unconditional praising he gets is 
eyes.gif

I wasn't a fan of Djoker a few years ago when he would seem to have all this injuries and excuses, but since he's gotten his health in order (he did have a gluten issue), he's become one of the best movers on-court.  I've certainly appreciated his game a lot more since then.  

Anyway, Fed's playing well while Rafa isn't at his best... I don't think it'll be as 1-sided as many are predicting.  

Please count me in as well.  I may have mentioned this before, but I was never a fan of Fed.  Not denying that he's a very talented player, but ever since the beginning, his comments never sat well with me.  Like Prostaffer put it, "smug" would be a good way too put it.  And yeah, crying when Rafa beat him at Wimbledon and Aussie Open was absolutely unacceptable.  Rafa ended up consoling him, which was ridiculous.  Regarding the 15-jacket, you can say Nike had a hand in that, but at the same time, it had to have had the OK from Fed... he didn't seem to disagree with the jacket.  A lot of Fed fans praise him for his success (fair enough), but then they proceed to say how 'classy' of a champion he is... ummm... 'classy' also applies to how you act when you lose.  Many people seem to just want to look past some of his actions.
I agree... I don't see it as mean-spirited, but some of the unconditional praising he gets is 
eyes.gif

I wasn't a fan of Djoker a few years ago when he would seem to have all this injuries and excuses, but since he's gotten his health in order (he did have a gluten issue), he's become one of the best movers on-court.  I've certainly appreciated his game a lot more since then.  

Anyway, Fed's playing well while Rafa isn't at his best... I don't think it'll be as 1-sided as many are predicting.  

Federer is back in top form. hes at his best right now, at the moment hes playing like he was when he was world number one. I think it will be close onSunday, no clear favourite IMO

Federer is back in top form. hes at his best right now, at the moment hes playing like he was when he was world number one. I think it will be close onSunday, no clear favourite IMO

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

It's not low-key or gentlemanly at all though.
I've been saying this for years, and it's why I dislike him even though I love the way he plays.

He is the least gracious loser in the world. Unlike guys like Rafa who are constantly praising their opponents and are always gracious in victory or defeat, Roger always uses the "I didn't play that well" argument or some other BS.

The message is clear: He didn't win, I lost. I played poorly, if I had played up to my usual standards I would've won.

This happened all the time when he was still #1 yet Rafa murked him head-to-head. There were always little swipes and underhanded comments from Roger after losing. 

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

It's not low-key or gentlemanly at all though.
I've been saying this for years, and it's why I dislike him even though I love the way he plays.

He is the least gracious loser in the world. Unlike guys like Rafa who are constantly praising their opponents and are always gracious in victory or defeat, Roger always uses the "I didn't play that well" argument or some other BS.

The message is clear: He didn't win, I lost. I played poorly, if I had played up to my usual standards I would've won.

This happened all the time when he was still #1 yet Rafa murked him head-to-head. There were always little swipes and underhanded comments from Roger after losing. 

Back
Top Bottom