Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Hold up: Mason or Miles? If Miles has a 41-inch vert, Mason's is 45+. The younger one is a much better athlete.

eek.gif
Miles got bunnies

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

It's only cause you sabotaged me career as Seth Davis's assistants assistant to the regional manager assistant for America East division
bbfmojho.xpt.gif

Come on, Amp I'm not that low on the totem pole. 
roll.gif

They are doing interns for the fall, applications due end of the month I think.
PM me the info good sir

Chad Ford draft blog.
How top 10 picks could play out

With the NBA draft order finally set and a definitive home in New Orleans forAnthony Davis, the Charlotte Bobcats are on the clock at pick No. 2.

Over the past few weeks I've been speaking with scouts, executives, agents and even a few NBA owners, trying to get a feel for what happens after Davis shakes David Stern's hand.

We have our Mock Draft 5.0 based on our best intel at the moment.

But teams are still weeks away from making their final decisions on whom they'll draft. Here are a few other things to consider:

• The Bobcats will likely decide between Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Kansas' Thomas Robinson at No. 2. Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond and Harrison Barnes are all in the mix there, but it seems as if Kidd-Gilchrist and Robinson are the two top guys on the board.

Another option might be for the Bobcats to go ahead and trade the pick in an effort to get more assets. The No. 2 pick, whichever player it is, isn't going to turn around the franchise next season. What the Bobcats need is depth.

Two teams to look at are Cleveland and Portland. Both would love to move up to the No. 2 pick. The Cavs would love to get their hands on Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal. The Blazers are also high on Beal.

If the Cavs offered the No. 4 and No. 24 picks, would that be enough for the Bobcats to pull the trigger? If Robinson is their target, yes. If Kidd-Gilchrist is? He's probably not on the board at No. 4.

The Blazers have the sixth and 11th picks. That's a steep price to pay to move up four spots in the draft, but if they're convinced that they don't love a player at No. 6, it might be worth it to them.

• The Wizards like where they are in the draft. They've been debating between Kidd-Gilchrist and Beal for months. If one of them is off the board, they'll be happy with the other.

• The Cavaliers were really hoping to get either Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal from this draft. Given our current mock, both players are off the board. We currently have the Cavs grabbing Barnes at No. 4. The Cavs had actually been hoping that Barnes would be in the draft last year and sources say they would have grabbed him at No. 4. Do they still love him after a disappointing sophomore season? Are they willing to roll the dice on Drummond instead? I hear Jeremy Lamb isn't out of the question here either.

• If the Kings can land Thomas Robinson at No. 5, I bet they keep their pick. He'd be a nice addition to their team and fits a need. Barnes and Drummond might also be fits. But the Kings are another team that I could see shopping their pick. They are loaded with young players who can score, but what they really need is veteran help.

It's tough to predict what the Blazers are going to do when they don't have a GM or a coach. Team president Larry Miller has been promising that they are nearing the end of the search, so we might have a better feel soon.

The Blazers have two untouchable players right now in LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum. They could use help everywhere else. It will be very interesting to see if they roll the dice on Drummond if he slides this far. The upside, at No. 6, may be too much to pass up.

But I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Blazers trade one or both picks if they can land a young point guard in return. This draft is weak on point guards and although many teams, including the Blazers, like Damian Lillard, the sixth pick may be a little high for him.

The Clippers' Eric Bledsoe, the Pacers' Darren Collison and the Rockets' Kyle Lowry are possibilities.

• The Warriors have a history of taking long, athletic players who are more about upside than production. I don't see that happening this year -- not under the new ownership and new front office.

If the top six players on our Big Board are off the board on draft day, I see the Warriors focusing on more established players. I put Ohio State's Jared Sullinger at No. 7 in the mock, and he could be the choice. The Warriors like him. But the more I sift through the information I'm receiving, the more I think we might see Kentucky's Terrence Jones here. Not every team is convinced he's a 3, but if the Warriors think he can play that position, I could see them pulling the trigger. There's lots of upside there if you can overlook the poor body language and inconsistency. We have Jones sliding to No. 16 in our latest mock. That's probably his floor. I think No. 7 may be his ceiling.

One other name to discuss in Golden State is Iowa State's Royce White. The Warriors love him. However, he canceled his workout with the team because of an injury. The suspicion is that he's still dealing with some anxiety issues over travel. If he can overcome that and prove to NBA teams that he can get on a plane and go anywhere on a moment's notice, my guess is he skyrockets up the draft board and could be in play as high as No. 7.

• The Raptors expect to have big man Jonas Valanciunas with the team this season. If he were in this draft, I think he would've been the No. 2 overall pick. At No. 8, look for them to add a player to their backcourt who can go out and get his own shot. They've been looking hard at Syracuse'sDion Waiters, Washington's Terrence Ross, Lamb and Lillard. The sleeper pick for them might be St. John's freshman Moe Harkless. Sources say he is in the mix at No. 8.

• I don't know what the Pistons are going to do at No. 9. If the draft goes to form, there isn't a perfect fit for what they need. We've had UNC's John Henson there the past few weeks because he's long and blocks shots, but no one's a perfect fit.

• We'll wrap up at the No. 10 spot, where all signals point toward the Hornets grabbing either Lillard, UNC's Kendall Marshall or perhaps Waiters to throw lobs Anthony Davis' way all day. Of the three, I'm hearing Lillard may be in the lead right now.

• NBA agents are becoming less concerned with how high their clients are drafted and much more concerned about fit and franchise stability. Two teams in particular may have a tough time bringing in top talent before the draft. GMs see Cleveland, Washington, Portland and Golden State as preferable destinations at the top of the draft. They are scared to death of Charlotte and Sacramento right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bobcats and Kings struggle to get every player they want to work out into their gyms.

Draft Workouts

On Wednesday, I traveled to Long Island to check out individual workouts for UConn's Lamb and Illinois big manMeyers Leonard along with representatives from two NBA teams.

Lamb kicked off the workout and was very impressive in all aspects. He looks the part of a lottery pick and has one of the craziest wingspans of anyone in the draft for his size. He's added some muscle to his frame -- especially in the shoulder area. He shot the ball terrifically from everywhere on the floor. He's very quick for a guard his size and has a smooth athleticism that allows him to glide around the floor.

Most impressive was a ballhandling drill in which Lamb was forced to do crossovers underneath a low bar that was placed on the floor.

Toward the end of the workout, Leonard got on the floor with him and they did about 15 minutes' worth of drills together.

Leonard is also a physical specimen. He's huge and a very good athlete for a player his size. He isn't Drummond-level freaky, but he's not far off. Leonard was just getting back from a workout in Portland with Tyler Zeller.

The feedback from the workout, not surprisingly, had Zeller getting the better of Leonard. Zeller has two years more of college ball experience and is very crafty and skilled. If you want immediate impact, Zeller is your guy. But Leonard is much more athletic and has more upside if you're going to be patient.

What surprised me was how well he shot from 10-12 feet. He's not going to be, primarily, a face-the-basket big, but he showed over and over in the workout that he can hit that shot consistently.

Usually big men with his size and athletic ability are top-10 picks. I think teams are concerned about his maturity and fear he may be a two- to three-year project. That may be right. But I heard all the same fears about DeAndre Jordan and Joel Przybilla, and Leonard could be a similar type of player at the next level.

As for Lamb, he is one of the more intriguing prospects in the draft. I hear that he's in the mix for the Cavs at No. 4 and I doubt he slides past the Suns at No. 13. But that's a pretty big range. Teams that love him emphasize his length, smooth athleticism and skill set. Teams that are on the fence worry that he doesn't have a killer instinct and may not be aggressive enough as a scorer at the next level to live up to his potential.

I think workouts will be key for Lamb. If he can go in and outplay Waiters and Austin Rivers, he could hear his name called as early as No. 4 to Cleveland or at No. 6 to the Blazers. Both teams really like him. We have him at No. 11 in our latest mock, but there's still a lot of time to push higher.

• All 30 NBA teams have been gathered in Minnesota on Thursday and Friday for another group workout. Once again, the roster is a bit disappointing, with no one from our top 30 attending.

Here's a look at who's was supposed to participate.

Group 1 on Thursday: Tomas Satoransky, J'Covan Brown, Khris Middleton, John Shurna, Miles Plumlee, Drew Gordon

Group 2 on Thursday: Casper Ware, Scott Machado, Ramone Moore, Kevin Murphy, Jae Crowder, Quincy Acy

Group 3 on Friday: Kim English, Orlando Johnson, Tony Mitchell, Robbie Hummel, Garrett Stutz,Justin Hamilton

Group 4 on Friday: Marcus Denmon, Darius Johnson-Odom, JaMychal Green, Mike Scott, Kyle O'Quinn, Robert Sacre

Satoransky, Middleton and Stutz pulled out before the event; Crowder hurt his ankle and didn't workout.

Of the players who are there, sources say that Plumlee played really well Thursday.

A few hot second-round names appear to be emerging over the past few weeks. A number of teams have citing O'Quinn, Orlando Johnson and perhaps Plumlee as players who might work their way into the late first round.

O'Quinn has the most buzz right now. He's coming off a terrific performance in the NCAA tournament, impressed scouts at Portsmouth and the Nets' group workout, measuring a whopping 7-foot-4 wingspan at the latter event. For teams that need bigs who can contribute off the bench, he's a very intriguing prospect.

Ditto for Plumlee. His 6 points and 7 rebounds per game won't wow anyone. But Plumlee is a good athlete who already has an NBA body and should be able to do some dirty work on the boards. A number of scouts said he really stood out in Minnesota on Thursday. Some scouts are comparing him to a young Jeff Foster.

As for Orlando Johnson, the NBA is always interested in players who can score, and his impressive performances at the Nets' workout and in L.A. last week are helping his stock.

• Finally, I had the chance to check out Chris Johnson of Dayton in a workout on Tuesday in Manhattan.

He averaged 12.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg and shot 39 percent from 3 during his senior season. He measured just 6-3½ in socks but with a crazy 6-11 wingspan at Portsmouth.

He's a good athlete and showed off a really sweet stroke during workouts. That jives with his scouting report at Dayton primarily as a spot-up shooter. He also showed off a really nice vertical leap, which may explain, along with his long arms, why he was such a good rebounder for a guard. He needs to continue work on his ballhandling; he rarely got to the line in college.

Nevertheless, a number of teams have shown some interest in him as a possible second-round pick. He's already had workouts with the Thunder, 76ers and Wizards.

Yeah I'm fully on the Q Miller bandwagon. One more year off that acl + another maybe 10-15 pounds of mucle and nobody can tell me he won't get buckets in the league.
pimp.gif

anybody that knows anybody close to them that has anxiety issues knows that it isn't pretty.
30t6p3b.gif

Crazy how your mind can make mountains out of mole hills.

I honestly think the MKG/Beal talk is a smoke screen from the Wizards.

My guess is that they figure MKG will be taken with the #2 overall pick. There IS a market for Beal, and someone may want to trade up (Cleveland?) to take Beal at #3, leaving Robinson for the Wizards to take at #4...and if this happens, I'm guessing Cleveland would have to throw in the #24 as well.

Like I said before, Robinson on the Wizards makes TOO much sense. I think he's the guy (assuming MKG is gone).

Mason can play. Miles? No. lol.

I like Waiters more than Rivers if you want a scoring guard off the bench. Bigger, stronger, better at the rim, great in transition. Don't know if he can defend (he probably can't), but not like Austin can either.

Jae Crowder
Draymond Green
Kevin Jones
Khris Middleton

And I'll say Robert Sacre finally realizes he's seven feet tall and plays like it enough to be productive in the league.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by PMatic

So where does that leave Vesley in Washington? I see more athlete than basketball player when I watch him play.

He's still got a role with the team...he had a real good April 8/7/3(steals), and that was in 15 games.  It took a while, but he finally started to come around.  Despite his inability to hit a jumper, he did get minutes at both the 4/3.  I think he'll put in good work this offseason and come back a better player.  His April was something that he could build off of. 

TBH, I think Trevor Booker is the player who might be the odd man out, depending on which way the team goes via the draft.    

NO.
NO.

HELL NO.

Quiet As Kept, Trevor Booker is the best post player for the Wizards... even at 6'7". He's easily the toughest player on the Wizards. Only way he's the odd man out (after being the starting 4 late in the season) if if he's included in a trade, regardless of the draft.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

I was thinking in terms of what the Wizards already have...a front court of:

Nene
Seraphin
Robinson

But I'm cool w.

Nene
Robinson
Vesely

(Seraphin coming off the bench)

Just thinking if he could play SOME minutes at SF...nothing more, nothing less. 

You would be more likely to take a SG and prob MKG if were being frank. The NFL adage of not drafting the same position 2 straight years applies.

If that's the case, we wouldn't take MKG because Vesely plays the 3. 

Anyways, if we can draft MKG, I'd be stoked.  There would be a glaring hole at the 2, but hopefully EG can swing something to secure a 2nd 1st round pick.  There are always teams looking to sell their picks and the Wizards have money to burn.  If he can do that, I hope he can target a guy like Doron Lamb.  If Grunfeld doesn't get another first round pick, maybe Detroit would be interested in some sort of package for Ben Gordon.  He's got a bad contract, but I think he'd fit in nicely alongside of Wall. 

Nene
Seraphin
MKG
Lamb
Wall

Nene
Robinson
Vesely
BG
Wall

Either lineup is a MAJOR upgrade over what they currently have.  It's going to be interesting to see how everything shakes out going forward. 

Sir, that is one of the worst ideas you have ever concocted. Ben Gordon fitting nicely with John Wall? No... 

I like Jae Crowder, Jared Cunningham, Tony Mitchell, Drew Gordon, Cam Moore, Marcus Denmon and Bernard James as 2nd round guys. And reaching really deep - Kenny Gabriel. 

My guess is that they figure MKG will be taken with the #2 overall pick. There IS a market for Beal, and someone may want to trade up (Cleveland?) to take Beal at #3, leaving Robinson for the Wizards to take at #4...and if this happens, I'm guessing Cleveland would have to throw in the #24 as well.

Like I said before, Robinson on the Wizards makes TOO much sense. I think he's the guy (assuming MKG is gone).

Double J why would the wizards pick Robinson when the last 2 drafts you guy have drafted a total of 3 PF with 1st round pick? yall need backcourt help and someone that can creat there own shot next to john wall

doesn't booker=robinson?

Originally Posted by RamZs8906

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

You would be more likely to take a SG and prob MKG if were being frank. The NFL adage of not drafting the same position 2 straight years applies.

If that's the case, we wouldn't take MKG because Vesely plays the 3. 

Anyways, if we can draft MKG, I'd be stoked.  There would be a glaring hole at the 2, but hopefully EG can swing something to secure a 2nd 1st round pick.  There are always teams looking to sell their picks and the Wizards have money to burn.  If he can do that, I hope he can target a guy like Doron Lamb.  If Grunfeld doesn't get another first round pick, maybe Detroit would be interested in some sort of package for Ben Gordon.  He's got a bad contract, but I think he'd fit in nicely alongside of Wall. 

Nene
Seraphin
MKG
Lamb
Wall

Nene
Robinson
Vesely
BG
Wall

Either lineup is a MAJOR upgrade over what they currently have.  It's going to be interesting to see how everything shakes out going forward. 

Sir, that is one of the worst ideas you have ever concocted. Ben Gordon fitting nicely with John Wall? No... 

1. BG is a short-term upgrade over Jordan Crawford. You content with him as the starting 2 if we take Robinson or MKG? I didnt think so. 2. His contract is up in 2 years. Again, short-term. 3. If Blatche is involved in the deal, you make it happen.

Originally Posted by Mikeknows

Double J why would the wizards pick Robinson when the last 2 drafts you guy have drafted a total of 3 PF with 1st round pick? yall need backcourt help and someone that can creat there own shot next to john wall

doesn't booker=robinson?

Because robinson is 10x better than any other front court player we currently have on the roster and would be an immediate upgrade. Jan Vesely/TrevorBooker/Kevin Seraphin are hardly reasons why we shouldn't take Robinson, IMO. On top of it all, robinson would help this team in an area where they REALLY struggle....rebounding. He'd also bolster the scoing big time, too.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

who do u guys think would be a steal in the 2nd round? kris joseph?

During his sophomore year i thought hed be a lotto pick after his junior year....improved his shot big time but regressed in everything else.....hes a soft player thats 23 and doesnt have a standout trait with creaky knees. Good college player but i wouldnt draft em

Back
Top Bottom