Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by kantoot

Originally Posted by davizzy

Not sure if this was mentioned on here but we signed Chris Owusu from Stanford
http://www.cbssports.com/...-as-undrafted-free-agent

isnt this the guy who got like 3 concussions during the season?

thats crazy...........
i dont think he is gonna make it........dudes head is jacked up right about now.

how, we gotta see if alex can get the ball in the air.

Originally Posted by kantoot

Originally Posted by davizzy

Not sure if this was mentioned on here but we signed Chris Owusu from Stanford
http://www.cbssports.com/...-as-undrafted-free-agent

isnt this the guy who got like 3 concussions during the season?

thats crazy...........
i dont think he is gonna make it........dudes head is jacked up right about now.

how, we gotta see if alex can get the ball in the air.

Originally Posted by mugzbo

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

My goodness he wears the exact same fit, year round. Haha.
laugh.gif
Who has time to change when he's planning year-round on winning a Super Bowl?!?!?
glasses.gif

On a side note, if Crabs doesn't feel the pressure this year, Harbaugh needs to go Singletary on him.

Wore the exact same thing in Stanford as well
laugh.gif

jim-harbaugh.jpg

Originally Posted by mugzbo

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

My goodness he wears the exact same fit, year round. Haha.
laugh.gif
Who has time to change when he's planning year-round on winning a Super Bowl?!?!?
glasses.gif

On a side note, if Crabs doesn't feel the pressure this year, Harbaugh needs to go Singletary on him.

Wore the exact same thing in Stanford as well
laugh.gif

jim-harbaugh.jpg

When Harbaugh was at the Indiana/Kentucky game during the NCAA tournament it looked weird to see him in a t-shirt with no hat.

When Harbaugh was at the Indiana/Kentucky game during the NCAA tournament it looked weird to see him in a t-shirt with no hat.

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

Man, I'm loving the additions to the squad this off-season. We now have a ton of weapons at Alex's disposal.

RB's:

Frank Gore - (primary back).
Kendall Hunter - (will spell Gore).
Brandon Jacobs - (goal-line/short yardage).
LaMichael James - (X-factor RB/WR/KR - will play that Bush/Sproles role).
Anthony Dixon (odd-man out, most likely special teams role only + mixed carries, here & there).
Rock Cartwright (special teams ace - fill in for the loss of Contanzo).

WR's:

Michael Crabtree - (WR1 + work the middle of the field in the slot).
Mario Manningham - (WR2 - another possession receiver).
Randy Moss - (WR3 - deep threat, always a homerun threat. A motivated Moss = success).
AJ Jenkins - (WR4 - IMO will receive a lot of looks this year, deep threat + does all the intangibles).
Ted Ginn. Jr. - (WR5 - KR/PR ace, will get work at WR sporadically, deep threat).
Kyle Williams - (WR6 - will most likely be cut or sent to practice squad).

+ Vernon Davis & Delanie Walker at TE & bringing back all 11 players on Defense + adding some more depth to the OLine/Defense through the draft?

Oh boy, so anxious for this upcoming season, I cant wait.
Williams isnt eligible for PS. He started too many games. Moss will start opposite of Crabtree, as Manningham is not a starting caliber wideout. There is also talk of Crabs playing in the slot. 

[h1][/h1]
[h1]49ers fifth-round pick Darius Fleming suffers torn ACL[/h1]
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 15, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
dariusfleming.jpg
Getty Images
Darius Fleming, a linebacker from Notre Dame chosen by the 49ers in the fifth round of the draft, will not play his rookie season.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Fleming tore his ACL during his first rookie minicamp practice.

There was no contact in the drill when Fleming went down, but he bent his knee awkwardly and couldn’t continue. Initial reports said Fleming suffered a hamstring injury, but an MRI confirmed that it’s actually a torn ACL, which almost certainly means Fleming won’t play until 2013.

Fleming signed his four-year, $2.264 million contract the day before the injury.

We extended our most important non-defensive player today. 

Spoiler [+]
127497408_crop_650x440.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CrunchyBlack9

Man, I'm loving the additions to the squad this off-season. We now have a ton of weapons at Alex's disposal.

RB's:

Anthony Dixon (odd-man out, most likely special teams role only + mixed carries, here & there).

WR's:

Randy Moss - (WR3 - deep threat, always a homerun threat. A motivated Moss = success).
AJ Jenkins - (WR4 - IMO will receive a lot of looks this year, deep threat + does all the intangibles).
Ted Ginn. Jr. - (WR5 - KR/PR ace, will get work at WR sporadically, deep threat).

+ Vernon Davis & Delanie Walker at TE & bringing back all 11 players on Defense + adding some more depth to the OLine/Defense through the draft?

Williams isnt eligible for PS. He started too many games. Moss will start opposite of Crabtree, as Manningham is not a starting caliber wideout. There is also talk of Crabs playing in the slot. 
I wouldn't be surprised if Moss is the #2 WR to open the season but I just don't see it right now. Plz explain how Manningham is not a "starting caliber WR"? I know he's not a #1, but he's perfectly fine as a #2.
Unless coach Harbaugh has hinted at Moss being the #2, I still think its going to be #1 Crabtree, #2 Manningham, #3 Moss, #4 Jenkins, #5 Ginn Jr.

Congrats to Andy Lee. I'm happy that he'll be a 49er for the rest of his career. 
pimp.gif

RB's:

WR's:

I wouldn't be surprised if Moss is the #2 WR to open the season but I just don't see it right now. Plz explain how Manningham is not a "starting caliber WR"? I know he's not a #1, but he's perfectly fine as a #2.
Unless coach Harbaugh has hinted at Moss being the #2, I still think its going to be #1 Crabtree, #2 Manningham, #3 Moss, #4 Jenkins, #5 Ginn Jr.

Congrats to Andy Lee. I'm happy that he'll be a 49er for the rest of his career. 
pimp.gif
Whats the point of putting a number on it when Manningham and Moss are both best on the outside, and Jenkins and Crabtree are best in the slot?
Its not like Randy is gone be lined up in the slot more than 5 times this season.

Yep, I agree. None of the position depth numbers really matter with a coach like Harbaugh anyways.

Manningham+Moss working the outside & Crabs+Jenkins working the inside.
pimp.gif

via Eric Branch
It was mentioned that the #49ers ranked 29th in yard per game last year. Alex Smith REALLY doesn't like that stat: "This is the honest truth, I could absolutely care less on yards per game. I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you're losing games in the second half, guess what, you're like the Carolina Panthers and you're going no-huddle the entire second half and, yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That's great. You're not winning, though."

SMH.  Alex Smith talking s*** about other quarterbacks now?  One average season out of seven, and you start to run your mouth?  Not a good look.  Especially considering if we had Cam instead of Alex last year, we win the Superbowl.

Originally Posted by dland24

via Eric Branch
It was mentioned that the #49ers ranked 29th in yard per game last year. Alex Smith REALLY doesn't like that stat: "This is the honest truth, I could absolutely care less on yards per game. I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you're losing games in the second half, guess what, you're like the Carolina Panthers and you're going no-huddle the entire second half and, yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That's great. You're not winning, though."

SMH.  Alex Smith talking s*** about other quarterbacks now?  One average season out of seven, and you start to run your mouth?  Not a good look.  Especially considering if we had Cam instead of Alex last year, we win the Superbowl.

Ignoring the who he is and the QB bashing ( overblown already) and he is right. Keep the perspective that he was asked to be a game manager and Gore, and Hunter had a ton of 2nd half carries last year. Winning and clock management > than yards, and when the NFL gets back to understanding that its going to be a more dynamic league.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

via Eric Branch

Ignoring the who he is and the QB bashing ( overblown already) and he is right. Keep the perspective that he was asked to be a game manager and Gore, and Hunter had a ton of 2nd half carries last year. Winning and clock management > than yards, and when the NFL gets back to understanding that its going to be a more dynamic league.

I seem to be disagreeing with you a lot today. 
laugh.gif

As far as Cam Newton goes, yes, he is correct.  But as far as the NFL in general, no he is not correct.  If he was describing the NFL of yesteryear, sure.  But not now.  This is a passing league now.  Look at the 2011 passing leaders:

Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Matt Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning

These guys certainly werent playing from behind or playing catchup.  They were dominating the league and were the reason their respective teams were good.

laugh.gif

As far as Cam Newton goes, yes, he is correct.  But as far as the NFL in general, no he is not correct.  If he was describing the NFL of yesteryear, sure.  But not now.  This is a passing league now.  Look at the 2011 passing leaders:

Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Matt Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning

These guys certainly werent playing from behind or playing catchup.  They were dominating the league and were the reason their respective teams were good
2 different ways to get to the same goal of wearing out a defense.
When you have an elite passer you run as many plays as you can, when you dont you run the football as often as you can.
None of those teams had a top 15 back on the team either.....
Know your personel, and Gore is one of the best at pounding away yards.

Look, I dont disagree with you that we were playing ball control offense for most of the season. I dont disagree that Gore is great at running clock and pounding away yards as you put it. But Alex left more plays on the field than any QB I have ever seen in 2011. His 3rd down conversion % was horrendous. Alex's yards would have gone up exponentially if he could convert more 3rd downs and limiting the 3 and outs.

I totally agree, that we should play to our strengths and clearly thats not Alex. But that is a problem. I just dont see the need to call out another team and QB, unprovoked. Seems like he is salty and making excuses for himself IMO.

via Eric Branch

F this guy. Out of all people, this impotent douche should be the last person to talk about yards. He wishes he was even good enough to hold Cam's jock strap. 
30t6p3b.gif
eyes.gif
 Alex has no excuses this year, he has the weapons. If he doesn't get it done, which he probably won't; will be gone for sure. 

RB's:

WR's:

pimp.gif

Manningham cant beat press coverage to save his life and I cant find the article but he even stated he is best in the slot. 

laugh.gif

Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Matt Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning

These guys certainly werent playing from behind or playing catchup.  They were dominating the league and were the reason their respective teams were good.
Sorry to burst your bubble but all those guys had to throw and throw often b\c one of two things were lacking from their team. 1. They didnt have a running game to sustain leads that they got in the first place so it inflated their stats. 2. They didnt have a defense to hold off the other team from scoring so they had to pass heavy in order to keep the lead, which inflated their stats. 3 out of those 5 with 5,000 yards when this has only happened twice prior in NFL history. 

Look, I dont disagree with you that we were playing ball control offense for most of the season. I dont disagree that Gore is great at running clock and pounding away yards as you put it. But Alex left more plays on the field than any QB I have ever seen in 2011. His 3rd down conversion % was horrendous. Alex's yards would have gone up exponentially if he could convert more 3rd downs and limiting the 3 and outs.

I totally agree, that we should play to our strengths and clearly thats not Alex. But that is a problem. I just dont see the need to call out another team and QB, unprovoked. Seems like he is salty and making excuses for himself IMO.
Then say that dont talk about how the top 5 passing QB's went ham, and their offenses one sided splits. Say he might be right but his performance overall wasn't good enough to go at QB's.
But we didnt disagree for the second time today we still only got the one with Rose's D.

Odds & Ends 

•The quarterbacks also rotated throughout the team drills. Alex Smith always was the first quarterback to throw, but Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson and Tolzien all had chances to throw behind the No. 1 offensive line. 

•With Ted Ginn out with an undisclosed injury, kick returns fell to, in order, Kyle Williams, Kendall Hunter, Chris Culliver and Cox 

•Undrafted free agent Michael Thomas got his hand on two passes during 7-on-7 drills and intercepted one of them. Thomas (5-9, 185 pounds) was playing safety in those drills but also took some snaps during team drills at cornerback. 

•A.J. Jenkins had a mixed practice, including a dropped end-around attempt. 

•Michael Crabtree looked smooth and fluid. He caught the longest pass of the afternoon from Kaepernick over undrafted rookie Anthony Mosely. Crabtree later caught a pass on an intermediate crossing route from Alex Smith. 

•Keeping in mind that it's only May, Randy Moss has the look of a No. 1 receiver. He's a big target and was the most popular one for the quarterbacks on Wednesday. 

•Draft pick Cam Johnson was lining up at ROLB with t
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://blogs.sacbee.com/4...-left.html#storylink=cpy[/font]

Back
Top Bottom