Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by dland24

Why is the Baalke regime against trading down if the player they want is clearly going to be available 10 picks later? Not saying the pick was incorrect or bad, but its curious to me why we never trade down.

Why don't you trust the front office because they clearly know what the hell they're doing.
Yes, they know what they're doing with picking him. But if this is the guy they want, and clearly he wasn't going to be drafted by anyone else, why not trade down and acquire more picks all the while still getting the guy you're targeting? Again, he's not the wrong guy, but more picks could've been acquired for the #30 pick.

Why is the Baalke regime against trading down if the player they want is clearly going to be available 10 picks later? Not saying the pick was incorrect or bad, but its curious to me why we never trade down.

Why don't you trust the front office because they clearly know what the hell they're doing.
Yes, they know what they're doing with picking him. But if this is the guy they want, and clearly he wasn't going to be drafted by anyone else, why not trade down and acquire more picks all the while still getting the guy you're targeting? Again, he's not the wrong guy, but more picks could've been acquired for the #30 pick.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Like I said, they know what they're doing. They're better at evaluating talent better than any of us. There is a reason why they didn't make any trades in the first. That was their guy and they got him. Last time we drafted a a WR that was considered a "steal" was Crabtree. and well how has that turned out? Who knows, we might make some trades tomorrow. But whatever they do they have my trust because they've given me no reason to doubt what they're doing.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Like I said, they know what they're doing. They're better at evaluating talent better than any of us. There is a reason why they didn't make any trades in the first. That was their guy and they got him. Last time we drafted a a WR that was considered a "steal" was Crabtree. and well how has that turned out? Who knows, we might make some trades tomorrow. But whatever they do they have my trust because they've given me no reason to doubt what they're doing.

Don't need a WR...
30t6p3b.gif

If this was the player that the 49ers wanted, well it should be since he wasn't the top WR available, I'll trust the 49ers because I never heard of Patrick Willis or Aldon Smith when they were drafted.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

I'll give you Aldon Smith, but PWillis was well known coming out of Ole Miss.

This doesn't make any sense since they got Manningham and re-signed Ginn (Not even counting Moss 
laugh.gif
).

Surprised he passed on Jonathan Martin, OT from Stanford.

Don't need a WR...
30t6p3b.gif

If this was the player that the 49ers wanted, well it should be since he wasn't the top WR available, I'll trust the 49ers because I never heard of Patrick Willis or Aldon Smith when they were drafted.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

I'll give you Aldon Smith, but PWillis was well known coming out of Ole Miss.

This doesn't make any sense since they got Manningham and re-signed Ginn (Not even counting Moss 
laugh.gif
).

Surprised he passed on Jonathan Martin, OT from Stanford.

Originally Posted by JayJunkie

Moss
Manningham
Crabtree
Jenkins
Ginn
Williams
Swain

I would have preferred Fleener or Upshaw but in Baalke and Harbaugh I trust
Moss may or may not get cut. Either way he is no longer an every down receiver. 
I would have like a bigger receiver. We have a bunch of speed but ZERO size.

sick.gif
pimp.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by JayJunkie

Moss
Manningham
Crabtree
Jenkins
Ginn
Williams
Swain

I would have preferred Fleener or Upshaw but in Baalke and Harbaugh I trust
Moss may or may not get cut. Either way he is no longer an every down receiver. 
I would have like a bigger receiver. We have a bunch of speed but ZERO size.

sick.gif
pimp.gif
frown.gif

All these off season signings and drafting AJ just shows how much of a bum crabby is.

All these off season signings and drafting AJ just shows how much of a bum crabby is.

@49ers: Harbaugh on Jenkins: "He's got a lot of ability, the speed, the hands, the route running ability. I think he'll do just fine." #Draft49

@mattbarrows: Harbaugh said 49ers were contemplating trading w/ Vikings -- who ultimately traded w/ the Ravens -- and would have taken Jenkins in the 2nd.

@49ers: Baalke: "You love it when they're excited... He came out here, he had a great visit... We liked his team-first mentality." #Draft49

49ERS SELECT WR A.J. JENKINS

Thursday, April 26, 2012, 7:39pm
The phone call came to A.J. Jenkins on Thursday evening, and it was completely unexpected.

The 49ers, however, figured this is the way it would happen all along.

"Trent Baalke last night put his name in an envelope and said, 'This is who we're going to pick,'" 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said of the team's general manager. "We all agreed on it and it held true."

There were plenty of mock drafts that had the 49ers selecting a wide receiver with the No. 30 overall pick. But the fact that receiver was Jenkins was a complete surprise.

And nobody seemed more surprise than A.J. Jenkins himself.

"Wow, honestly I didn't know where I'd end up. It's a blessing to be with a great organization, but I had no idea where I was going to land. I'm honored and blessed. . . . I'm speechless right now."

The 49ers selected Jenkins from Illinois in the first round with the No. 30 overall pick in the NFL draft on Thursday. He was so excited he couldn't even remember with whom he spoke when the 49ers called.

For the record, he first spoke to Baalke and then coach Jim Harbaugh got on the line.

Jenkins (6-foot, 190 pounds) caught 90 passes for 1,276 yards for Illinois as a senior. Jenkins has nice speed, running a 4.37 at the combine. Although Jenkins paid a visit to the 49ers earlier this month, his name was not often associated with the team as a first-round possibility.

Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech and Rueben Randle of LSU were considered among the top receivers available after Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville), Michael Floyd (Arizona) and Kendall Wright (Tennessee) were chosen.

"That's been the speculation since the draft begun," Jenkins said. "So I just assumed. Watching the draft, not really expecting to get called (Thursday night), honestly. I was just watching to see when I was going to be taken off the board. But they called my name and I was just thinking they saw something in me. I'm honored to be picked in the first round."

Depth at wide receiver turned into a major issue for the 49ers in the playoffs after injuries to Joshua Morgan and Ted Ginn, along with the mid-season release of Braylon Edwards. In the 49ers' loss to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game, Michael Crabtree accounted for one catch for 3 yards. Kyle Williams, who also drew the starting assignment, did not have a reception.

This offseason, the 49ers added Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to the receiving corps. Moss returns from retirement. If Moss returns to his pre-2010 form and the 49ers' receivers remain healthy, it might be difficult for the rookie to earn playing time.

However, Jenkins has the speed to stretch a defense. If he develops quickly, he can make an impact early in his career.

The Illinois coaching staff linked Jenkins’ skill set to that of former Illini standout — and 49ers 2003 draft pick — Brandon Lloyd.

"We were glad we're able to get somebody as explosive and talented, a tough guy, smart guy like A.J." Harbaugh said. "I don't think going into this draft there was a glaring need that he had to address. Therefore, we were going to take the best player on our board in that situation would be the way to go and how it would ultimately end up going."

The 49ers were in discussions to trade back with the Minnesota Vikings, who ultimately worked a deal with the Baltimore Ravens for the 29th pick. The Vikings selected safety Harrison Smith from Notre Dame.

But rather than trade back and run the risk of losing out on Jenkins, the 49ers kept their selection and made the pick.

"You look at the player and you look at where he can align," Baalke said. "Some guys are strictly X's (split ends), some guys can sit in the slot, and some guys are strictly Z's (flankers). We feel this is a multi-align guy. A guy who can line up and any of those three spots and have success in our system. It creates a lot of versatility in the position group."

Jenkins, whose given name is Alfred Alonzo, joins what figures to be a strong competition for playing time with the 49ers, along with Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams. Baalke did not rule out the possibility that the 49ers could keep six receivers on their 53-man roster.
"No matter what position we picked in the first round or second round or third and fourth, that's the reality of it, a guy coming into a position group on our football team," Harbaugh said. "We got very good players already and very competitive players. Anybody who comes in as a rookie has to understand that now it's real real. It's going to get real fast, especially on our football team, because it will be competitive."

Jenkins said he is ready to learn from the many veterans on the team.

"Going to an organization with Randy Moss and Crabtree, Mario Manningham, I'm going to learn a lot from those veterans," Jenkins said.

"Coming in as a rookie, I think I can do great as far as going down the field. I can play the slot, the outside, I can do the option routes, I can do it all. With the receiving corps, Ted Ginn and everything, I'm going to learn a lot. I'm just blessed to be in this situation with the San Francisco 49ers."

@49ers: Harbaugh on Jenkins: "He's got a lot of ability, the speed, the hands, the route running ability. I think he'll do just fine." #Draft49

@mattbarrows: Harbaugh said 49ers were contemplating trading w/ Vikings -- who ultimately traded w/ the Ravens -- and would have taken Jenkins in the 2nd.

@49ers: Baalke: "You love it when they're excited... He came out here, he had a great visit... We liked his team-first mentality." #Draft49

49ERS SELECT WR A.J. JENKINS

Thursday, April 26, 2012, 7:39pm
The phone call came to A.J. Jenkins on Thursday evening, and it was completely unexpected.

The 49ers, however, figured this is the way it would happen all along.

"Trent Baalke last night put his name in an envelope and said, 'This is who we're going to pick,'" 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said of the team's general manager. "We all agreed on it and it held true."

There were plenty of mock drafts that had the 49ers selecting a wide receiver with the No. 30 overall pick. But the fact that receiver was Jenkins was a complete surprise.

And nobody seemed more surprise than A.J. Jenkins himself.

"Wow, honestly I didn't know where I'd end up. It's a blessing to be with a great organization, but I had no idea where I was going to land. I'm honored and blessed. . . . I'm speechless right now."

The 49ers selected Jenkins from Illinois in the first round with the No. 30 overall pick in the NFL draft on Thursday. He was so excited he couldn't even remember with whom he spoke when the 49ers called.

For the record, he first spoke to Baalke and then coach Jim Harbaugh got on the line.

Jenkins (6-foot, 190 pounds) caught 90 passes for 1,276 yards for Illinois as a senior. Jenkins has nice speed, running a 4.37 at the combine. Although Jenkins paid a visit to the 49ers earlier this month, his name was not often associated with the team as a first-round possibility.

Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech and Rueben Randle of LSU were considered among the top receivers available after Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville), Michael Floyd (Arizona) and Kendall Wright (Tennessee) were chosen.

"That's been the speculation since the draft begun," Jenkins said. "So I just assumed. Watching the draft, not really expecting to get called (Thursday night), honestly. I was just watching to see when I was going to be taken off the board. But they called my name and I was just thinking they saw something in me. I'm honored to be picked in the first round."

Depth at wide receiver turned into a major issue for the 49ers in the playoffs after injuries to Joshua Morgan and Ted Ginn, along with the mid-season release of Braylon Edwards. In the 49ers' loss to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game, Michael Crabtree accounted for one catch for 3 yards. Kyle Williams, who also drew the starting assignment, did not have a reception.

This offseason, the 49ers added Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to the receiving corps. Moss returns from retirement. If Moss returns to his pre-2010 form and the 49ers' receivers remain healthy, it might be difficult for the rookie to earn playing time.

However, Jenkins has the speed to stretch a defense. If he develops quickly, he can make an impact early in his career.

The Illinois coaching staff linked Jenkins’ skill set to that of former Illini standout — and 49ers 2003 draft pick — Brandon Lloyd.

"We were glad we're able to get somebody as explosive and talented, a tough guy, smart guy like A.J." Harbaugh said. "I don't think going into this draft there was a glaring need that he had to address. Therefore, we were going to take the best player on our board in that situation would be the way to go and how it would ultimately end up going."

The 49ers were in discussions to trade back with the Minnesota Vikings, who ultimately worked a deal with the Baltimore Ravens for the 29th pick. The Vikings selected safety Harrison Smith from Notre Dame.

But rather than trade back and run the risk of losing out on Jenkins, the 49ers kept their selection and made the pick.

"You look at the player and you look at where he can align," Baalke said. "Some guys are strictly X's (split ends), some guys can sit in the slot, and some guys are strictly Z's (flankers). We feel this is a multi-align guy. A guy who can line up and any of those three spots and have success in our system. It creates a lot of versatility in the position group."

Jenkins, whose given name is Alfred Alonzo, joins what figures to be a strong competition for playing time with the 49ers, along with Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams. Baalke did not rule out the possibility that the 49ers could keep six receivers on their 53-man roster.
"No matter what position we picked in the first round or second round or third and fourth, that's the reality of it, a guy coming into a position group on our football team," Harbaugh said. "We got very good players already and very competitive players. Anybody who comes in as a rookie has to understand that now it's real real. It's going to get real fast, especially on our football team, because it will be competitive."

Jenkins said he is ready to learn from the many veterans on the team.

"Going to an organization with Randy Moss and Crabtree, Mario Manningham, I'm going to learn a lot from those veterans," Jenkins said.

"Coming in as a rookie, I think I can do great as far as going down the field. I can play the slot, the outside, I can do the option routes, I can do it all. With the receiving corps, Ted Ginn and everything, I'm going to learn a lot. I'm just blessed to be in this situation with the San Francisco 49ers."

Because he doesn't have a signing bonus. So if he doesn't show any signs of the old Moss they can cut him before the season starts and it won't cost them anything.

Because he doesn't have a signing bonus. So if he doesn't show any signs of the old Moss they can cut him before the season starts and it won't cost them anything.

never heard of the kid but "in Baalke I trust"

peace out kyle williams. you bum
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

As for Moss he has no guaranteed money, so the niners could cut him ANY time during the season if they wanted. I can't see him getting cut before the season though.

Back
Top Bottom