Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a typhoon hits the PI every time Manny fights. Had a big one last year before the JMM fight as well. Remember nonito upset with Jim lampley when he mentioned the typhoon as manny was laying in the ground.

Late pass but nice winby Ward off injury.
Garcia is the future and needs to fight Uchiyama or Burgos.
and Pac should KO rios and ruiz Ko hamer
Golovkin:smh:

Very impressive win by Ward last night. First couple rounds were real chippy but from about the 5th on he controlled the fight in every aspect. Amazing showing from a layoff that long; take notes Victor Ortiz. Like Jim said during the broadcast, Ward's left jab/hook is so deceptive you're not really sure which one is coming. A Mayweather vs Ward would be the ultimate boxing match but I don't see Ward coming down to 154 nor Mayweather going up to 160. I don't see a catch weight involved either.

Should be a super exciting fight if Manny and Bam Bam stick to their trademark styles and slug it out. Much to the chagrin of their trainers.

Ward is the number 2 fighter in the world but couldn't close the show. Couldn't sell out a small venue in his own state. He's not even close to sniffing a PPV in the near future. No one wants to fight him.

Rodriguez got shut out. At best he won one round (I gave him the first round out of pity). He couldn't make weight and lost 20-45% of his earnings.

The only winner tonight was the referee.

I like andre Ward and honestly feel bad for him....but the HBO slurp-fest on him :x. The fight starts and Max Kellerman (who i admittedly love) says he would have sold out if it was closer to his home.....aka an hour south of the venue they were fighting in. Like really his fan base only shows up if the fight is in a 50 mile radius....not 60...60 is too far. And all the announcers saying that he shook Rodriguez and hurt him a couple times...a couple great stiff jabs and 2 hooks....Edwin wasn't "hurt" at any point in the fight. Then max gets in the ring and says "Andre you won every round by a large margin"....oh uh the cards say otherwise 2 judges gave rounds to Edwin....just seemed disrespectful to Edwin. Granted after missing weight he wasn't really deserving of a ton of respect...but still at least say "andre WE had you winning every round by a large margin" because the official score keepers did not.

Ward fights as "boring" as mayweather does but Floyd has marketed himself insanely well...Andre is just too nice and too normal. He won't see any PPV anytime soon

Ward is the number 2 fighter in the world but couldn't close the show. Couldn't sell out a small venue in his own state. He's not even close to sniffing a PPV in the near future. No one wants to fight him.

Rodriguez got shut out. At best he won one round (I gave him the first round out of pity). He couldn't make weight and lost 20-45% of his earnings.

The only winner tonight was the referee.

I like andre Ward and honestly feel bad for him....but the HBO slurp-fest on him :x. The fight starts and Max Kellerman (who i admittedly love) says he would have sold out if it was closer to his home.....aka an hour south of the venue they were fighting in. Like really his fan base only shows up if the fight is in a 50 mile radius....not 60...60 is too far. And all the announcers saying that he shook Rodriguez and hurt him a couple times...a couple great stiff jabs and 2 hooks....Edwin wasn't "hurt" at any point in the fight. Then max gets in the ring and says "Andre you won every round by a large margin"....oh uh the cards say otherwise 2 judges gave rounds to Edwin....just seemed disrespectful to Edwin. Granted after missing weight he wasn't really deserving of a ton of respect...but still at least say "andre WE had you winning every round by a large margin" because the official score keepers did not.

Ward fights as "boring" as mayweather does but Floyd has marketed himself insanely well...Andre is just too nice and too normal. He won't see any PPV anytime soon

Ontario is 6-7 hours away from Oakland. For Ward-Dawson, I saw a good number of people on my social networks attend the fight who were the last people to have any interest in boxing. They went just because it was a local event. So I guess there is some validity to what Kellerman was saying.

repped for the info i didn't know they were that close i thought they said it was real close.

They should hold all of his fights in Oakland then if that is the case. It sucks that the basically consensus Number 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world sees multi million dollars less then the pound-for-pound num 1.

Ward Dawson In Oakland
The event sold 7,611 tickets at Oracle Arena, for a gate of $706,469. 1,308 tickets were comped to pad the crowd a little bit, but for recent California cards, that's nothing.

Ward Rodriguez
Reportedly sold 4,158

Last edited:
Should be a super exciting fight if Manny and Bam Bam stick to their trademark styles and slug it out. Much to the chagrin of their trainers.

I'd like to see it...but I'd rather Manny stick to not slugging it out and use his right to punish Rios all night.

I'd hate to see another KO.

yea ward isn't headlining a PPV anytime soon.
in other news, Ponce de Leon won by UD and el travieso Arce won by KO. more people would tune in to watch that arce fight over that ufc hug fest ward-la bomba

oh yea I think I read the same thing, smh.

hope he pulls through. I think he had two brain surgeries since the KO

repped for the info i didn't know they were that close i thought they said it was real close.

They should hold all of his fights in Oakland then if that is the case. It sucks that the basically consensus Number 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world sees multi million dollars less then the pound-for-pound num 1.

Ward Dawson In Oakland
The event sold 7,611 tickets at Oracle Arena, for a gate of $706,469. 1,308 tickets were comped to pad the crowd a little bit, but for recent California cards, that's nothing.

Ward Rodriguez
Reportedly sold 4,158

Well he gets criticism for fighting almost exclusively in Oakland, so it looks like this is his way to pull away gradually. I don't see him becoming much more of a draw no matter who he fights or where he fights.

Last edited:
Anyone see mike Tyson undisputed truth? I think it wasn't that good(it was aight) and shows just how much of a jackass spike lee is when he complains about Tarantino using the word ****** in his films yet had Tyson dropping the n-bomb excessively

I hated that Spike got on Quentin for that too. It was stupid.

Have yet to watch the new Tyson doc, maybe sometime this weekend.

Haye's fight with Fury is off. Major shoulder surgery. Recommended to retire.

Despite the size advantage, Cunningham took several good cracks at Fury. Had him stunned, rocked at a few points.

Just watched Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth.

He still hates Robin Givens.
laugh.gif

The tyson doc was hilarious. It was way better then i thought it would be. Mike was engaging the whole time, energetic, natural, nothing seemed too forced. I really liked it.

When he made fun of robbin givens and the whole brad pitt thing :lol:
When he put on the wig :lol:
The Teddy Atlas situation :lol:

Found the Ward vs GGG talk interesting. Ward seems to think that GGG's camp doesn't want the fight at 168 (which i don't blame them considering GGG fought Stevens at what 154?) Thats a big step up especially when you are fighting Andre Ward. But I am hoping they could maybe get it to a catch weight. I guess Ward is going to fight Frotch next again? (assuming Frotch wins his next fight).

Last edited:
Will have to head out to a bard to catch this weekend's fight if I am to watch. The card as a whole does not warrant the PPV price.

^ That's the problem for me as well.

But around here, you can't get in anywhere for less than $20 :smh: so it works out where we're paying $120 just to get in.

The tyson doc was hilarious. It was way better then i thought it would be. Mike was engaging the whole time, energetic, natural, nothing seemed too forced. I really liked it.

When he made fun of robbin givens and the whole brad pitt thing :lol:
When he put on the wig :lol:
The Teddy Atlas situation :lol:

Found the Ward vs GGG talk interesting. Ward seems to think that GGG's camp doesn't want the fight at 168 (which i don't blame them considering GGG fought Stevens at what 154?) Thats a big step up especially when you are fighting Andre Ward. But I am hoping they could maybe get it to a catch weight. I guess Ward is going to fight Frotch next again? (assuming Frotch wins his next fight).

GGG fought Stevens at 160 lb. weight limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom