Official 2013 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry, things will pick up after Dwight signs with a team, but if you think this year's off season has been hectic imagine next year, when you have arguably the best draft class since Lebron and the best free agency class cause of Lebron.

Looking forward to all the deals that's about to go down. :pimp:

dwight is deciding where he's gonna play for the next 4 years, and we're upset he hasn't made a decision in less than a week :lol:

he has had way more than a week. once the lakers season was over, he knew what teams were gonna go after him.

i still think he resigns with the lakers. but it baffles me that a team like the lakers basically have to "beg" a superstar to come play. i dont know if dwight can cut it with all that pressure (and kobe) in la

Last edited:
Honestly if Dwight is stupid enough to sign with the Mavs I don't know if I want him on this team.

I seriously can't think of any reason outside of him thinking he can get hurt again as to why he won't go to Houston.

My perfect non-Dwight off season involves trading Marion for Marcin Gortat then signing Monta for 6-7 million a year for the 3-4 years..

if this things drags out really long, i think gsw may be the team. if some team is willing to take bogut/biedrins/jefferson contract plus klay or harrison, they may just sign him outright. similar to nets situation last yr

Last edited:
he has had way more than a week. once the lakers season was over, he knew what teams were gonna go after him.

i still think he resigns with the lakers. but it baffles me that a team like the lakers basically have to "beg" a superstar to come play. i dont know if dwight can cut it with all that pressure (and kobe) in la
But really, to get in depth info, pros and cons on each situation really couldn't be delved in to until July 1. Not to mention potential roster changes and other free agents moving around. As much as I hate Dwight Howard, any free agent should be given time to make a decision. Especially someone of the caliber of Howard.

Not really logical to say he had all this time to mull it over since the season ended. 

Lakers did.

Look where Bynum is at the moment.

Lakers traded an injured Bynum for a rental to see if things could have panned out.

I hate to use cliches but that old dog ain't learning no new tricks, he's a vet and I doubt he could make more than slight improvements at this point regardless of coaching or instruction.

I agree with most of those roster ranking except for 2

Yes GS had a great year but I need to see em with another successful season before I say Mark is a better coach than MDA. His track record is much better than Marks and although I don't like Dantoni , he can't totally be discredited because he had Nash.

And how the hell is Houston's management > Los Angeles ?

Mitch is a damn magician so ill need some serious details as to why the Rockets management is better when they haven't been serious contenders since Hakeem left. All they did was use a bunch of cap space for harden but overpay for linsanity at the same dam time.

I have my reasonings, and I should have elaborated. :lol:

I'm not a huge Mark Jackson guy either, but in terms of coaches that Dwight wants to play for, I'm pretty sure MDA is dead last. MDA is absolutely a better HC, but not for Dwight.

When I was talking about management I moreso was talking about ownership, not GMs. Players go to Dallas to play for Cuban, not Donnie Nelson. Even though Mitch makes the deals, they went there for Dr. Buss, and the history of the Lakers. When I meant management, I wasn't really all encompassing. I meant moreso like the Buss family (currently in turmoil), as opposed to a Mark Cuban who's as cocky as can be.

Wow so the Rockets have been the better management team since Feb 2013, well with such a long history of transaction and trades to draw from I could see how you'd come to such a conclusion.

Dr. buss aint been gone 6 moths and you already saying since Dr Buss died, :x :smh: don't you think it's a little early to play that card ? At least give it a few seasons before you need to use that one.

And Cuban ain't gotta die to be questioned, isn't he the owner who beat the big 3 only to break up the championship team right after by not keeping the heart and soul of that defense?

I like Cubans style though but not keeping Tyson Chandler was an obvious mistake.

Lets just take a quick look at what the Championship roster has done since 2011

Tyson Chandler: DPoY last year, but was heavily injured this year, and wasn't really effective in the playoffs, got bullied around. If Dallas were to keep him, it would've been goddamn expensive.

Jason Kidd: after a decent first half of the season, he fell off the face of the earth into retirement.

Corey Brewer: He had a decent year last year, got a bigger role this year, and fell flat on his face in the Playoffs. Still great defense, but he suddenly thinks he's Kobe Bryant on offense.

JJ Barea: since leaving Dallas he's battled injuries and battled Luke Ridnour for a backup gig. Hasn't done much.

Jason Terry: was pretty terrible this year in Boston after a pretty mediocre exit from Dallas last year.

DeShawn Stevenson: not as much effort put forth since he went ahead and took it to LeBron.

Peja and Cardinal: Retired.

The Mavericks could've overpaid for Tyson Chandler, but that team had run its course. Imagine the mess we'd be in if we had all those guys under contract. It wasn't going to work. It would've been fun to see if they could repeat, but look at these guys now.

Having Dirk, Tyson, and Shawn eating up about 45 million in cap space would've been terrible.

Last edited:
It's amazing how many people think Dwight is a bum and/or a "cancer to every team he's been on."

He's been on 2 teams.

In Orlando, everything stemmed from the fact that he didn't want to re-up with the Magic. I don't see any issue there. He's not the first free-agent-to-be that told management that he wants out. The only issue in Orlando was the whole fiasco with SVG.

And with the Lakers... he was the cancer? Sure. Kobe Bryant has been the cancer on that team for years. Dwight was coming off a major surgery and had to deal with a ball-hogging cancer... and still put up more than respectable numbers.

Wow so the Rockets have been the better management team since Feb 2013, well with such a long history of transaction and trades to draw from I could see how you'd come to such a conclusion.

Dr. buss aint been gone 6 moths and you already saying since Dr Buss died, :x :smh: don't you think it's a little early to play that card ? At least give it a few seasons before you need to use that one.

And Cuban ain't gotta die to be questioned, isn't he the owner who beat the big 3 only to break up the championship team right after by not keeping the heart and soul of that defense?

I like Cubans style though but not keeping Tyson Chandler was an obvious mistake.

Lets just take a quick look at what the Championship roster has done since 2011

Tyson Chandler: DPoY last year, but was heavily injured this year, and wasn't really effective in the playoffs, got bullied around. If Dallas were to keep him, it would've been goddamn expensive.

Jason Kidd: after a decent first half of the season, he fell off the face of the earth into retirement.

Corey Brewer: He had a decent year last year, got a bigger role this year, and fell flat on his face in the Playoffs. Still great defense, but he suddenly thinks he's Kobe Bryant on offense.

JJ Barea: since leaving Dallas he's battled injuries and battled Luke Ridnour for a backup gig. Hasn't done much.

Jason Terry: was pretty terrible this year in Boston after a pretty mediocre exit from Dallas last year.

DeShawn Stevenson: not as much effort put forth since he went ahead and took it to LeBron.

Peja and Cardinal: Retired.

The Mavericks could've overpaid for Tyson Chandler, but that team had run its course. Imagine the mess we'd be in if we had all those guys under contract. It wasn't going to work. It would've been fun to see if they could repeat, but look at these guys now.

Having Dirk, Tyson, and Shawn eating up about 45 million in cap space would've been terrible.

It's late so I'm guessing you misread my post, i said it was a mistake not keeping Chandler who was the heart and soul of that defense.

I didn't say Cuban messed up by not resigning the entire team down to the water boys and cheerleaders. I'm an older sports fan so I know keeping everybody from a chip year is almost unheard of and nearly impossible.

But don't say that team ran its course because although NT likes to predict the future no one knows what would've happened. In fact I remember that very season mav fans on NT were saying the team should be blown up etc etc , but I strongly disagreed saying 50 win seasons and playoff appearances were not to be taken lightly and boom they win the ring.

Lastly you can't look at traded role players production on other teams as an indicator of what would've happened if they stayed together, it's not that simple. Some guys are perfect for certain roles on certain teams and collectively they can be very dangerous just like 2011.

It's amazing how many people think Dwight is a bum and/or a "cancer to every team he's been on."

He's been on 2 teams.

In Orlando, everything stemmed from the fact that he didn't want to re-up with the Magic. I don't see any issue there. He's not the first free-agent-to-be that told management that he wants out. The only issue in Orlando was the whole fiasco with SVG.

And with the Lakers... he was the cancer? Sure. Kobe Bryant has been the cancer on that team for years. Dwight was coming off a major surgery and had to deal with a ball-hogging cancer... and still put up more than respectable numbers.

In Orlando he was a cancer off the court on he was great and in LA he was a different player

People arent mad at his ppg in LA its in that he wasnt healthy and couldnt impact the game defensively like he could before

ok guy's i think its time we rethink this

Source close to Warriors says they would trade Barnes, Bogut, and a 1st for Dwight

keep bogut , i'll take just barnes...unless we can amnesty bogut

what we need to do is wait until the Warriors move heaven and earth to make salary space then when they offer players to the Lakers for Howard we tell them we want BOTH Klay AND barnes - not just one.  they would HAVE to budge since they just ruined their team to be in that position.

At this point I'd be very surprised if Fright Coward plays for the Lakers next season. Los Angeles, do yourselves a favor and take one of these great sign-and-trade deals and bus this bum out to Golden State or Houston.

i'll take barnes to play small at the 4 , which clearly was when he

was the most productive in the playoffs and a first rounder.....next year we get 2

first rounders , harrison barnes AND everyone but steve nash on

the books for 2014....guy's like kasey hill and aaron harrison

should be hanging around in the early teens to play ahead of nash

If Golden State does that they lose. Thats a horrible move for them, they need to just buld with the roster they have now.

I believe the Warriors have to accumulate $23 million worth of salary (at least according to what Larry **** said a month ago), so Jefferson would have to be included as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom