OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know the history of HBCUs and why they exis, and the pride that HBCU alums have in their schools. I don’t think Jackson alum were looking for a the normal symbiotic relationship and that definitely wasn’t what he was selling. I don’t really think that’s there is anything tangible that we can point to about HBCUs benefiting from this. Prime was the biggest winner here, absolutely. That’s just how the game goes.
As a person that I respect I want to get your take on how positive exposure for HBCUs isn't something tangible? Sadly in recent times the mainstream media usually speaks about HBCUs when isuues of poor facilities and underfunded athletic departments (FAMU) are the topic. It was great to see coaches at PWIs lose it when JSU got some big time recruits. Yes, this was all in Prime's best interest but we started asking questions about why these same coaches were so angry at even the hint that an HBCU could provide an experience that wasn't inferior (given the overall picture and being able to be around people that look like you) to what they were offering. I wanted Prime to stay at Jackson State and I know that it will take a great deal of work to get CU to decent given the neglect, lack of alumni support and racism inside Boulder and at the University itself. My entire point is that even in his selfishness he did do some good things for that community.

pass that pipe. 4 games? Hell no.

Its one thing to do it in a HBCU but he's going up against the big boys EVERY day.

It’s kinda crazy to me that it seems like talk is so polarized on Prime’s time at/exit from JSU. Can we not applaud all he accomplished for the program, school, and community overall while also riding against him for going against a lot of what he continuously talked about while he was there? I get today’s world forces everybody to take a side, but there’s very rarely a winner when a HC decides to move on under their own accord. I’m not a Deion fan by any means, but I don’t think he’s a bad guy for jumping to a P5 opportunity. He seemingly did a lot of good for getting awareness back into the HBCU community during his 3 years there.

It just seems like everybody is either on his side or eviscerating him which is kinda weird to me. There hasn’t been much middle ground.

Disclaimer: I’m as white as they come, so I have zero clue what some of the HBCU alum in here deal with or know on a daily basis.

Out of all the sporting events we have in the area, the fact アミーゴ アミーゴ is calling in the G5 with the boys next year for Colorado/TCU is pretty laughable.

Someone wants to see Prime win game 1 on the road :pimp:

Deion had toes amputated and was on the sidelines coaching in a wheelchair. Man put a lot into that program. The real problem is I think all these people know that there is nobody welling to put the work in that Deion did. Nobody else has the charisma, the aura, the recruiting so now it's like our savior is gone. You can't put all this on one man.

Damn I figured there were a few more Florida schools slick Willie was going to make a pit stop at :lol:

I don’t hate what prime did at all, I just don’t understand why people are shocked when the mans been about himself since he even began his career. I’m excited to see to what happens because we really have no idea how good of a coach he can be. It might go great or it might be a complete disaster

Depending on Roster turnover, I could squint and see 4-5 wins on that Colorado schedule if things break right for them. I mean any upgrade from what they were trotting out there at QB this year might be worth a win or 2 at least.

IMO because JSU and Prime were the story, not HBCUs in general
This is kind of my thing with Deion/JSU - but admittedly it's not something I've paid close enough attention to over time to really know the impact it's had.

I'm a big believer that rising tides raise all ships - But it feels like the only time we ever heard about anything else going on in the SWAC was Deion got into it with another coach in the media.

When he was there did he or did he not get more coverage and press for HBCUs? Whether it was about him or not he did good work there. You and I both post in the politics thread and he brought more attention to the Jackson water crisis than was done in one year prior. That fact alone gets props for me. Finally, we just saw Saturday go from the commentating booth to head coach of the Colts with his only experience being a failed high school coach. I know Prime isn't the complexion to get that type of favor but I think JSU got a ton out of the deal as well.
If Jackson State takes a step back next year, what three HBCU’s are best situated to become the number 1-3 top black football schools in JSU’s stead?

What HBCU do you see making a Jackson State like run in the next few years? Any up

What up and coming HBCU coach do you see getting an FBS opportunity next? Would any P5s be interested in them?

Deion had toes amputated and was on the sidelines coaching in a wheelchair. Man put a lot into that program. The real problem is I think all these people know that there is nobody welling to put the work in that Deion did. Nobody else has the charisma, the aura, the recruiting so now it's like our savior is gone. You can't put all this on one man.

Sure people are salty because they didn’t allow themselves to believe he was going to leave them so soon, and not for a job as bad and as white as Colorado. But also:

Still with the “It’s not me, it’s G*d.”

Has Deion issued a statement to JSU fans/alums yet? Has he said a thank you?

I think Deion absolutely should have taken the job. But let’s also not gas light JSU fans over this. He did handle things pretty badly.

What up and coming HBCU coach do you see getting an FBS opportunity next? Would any P5s be interested in them?

That’s the thing, they tend to not even get those shots. The old HC at my alma mater won 3 straight MEAC chips (breaking school offensive records along the way) and the best option that he has was to go be a assistant coach at Rice. Where at least he was allowed to be a QB coach, which tends to put you in position to get an OC job (and possibly advance from there) ,now he’s a RB coach @ UT

Brennan Marion’s offense @ Howard (and later William & Mary) put up crazy numbers but even he hasn’t yet got a shot to call plays

Last edited:
If Jackson State takes a step back next year, what three HBCU’s are best situated to become the number 1-3 top black football schools in JSU’s stead?

What HBCU do you see making a Jackson State like run in the next few years? Any up

Before Jackson State was popping, the spotlight was on their main rivals, Alcorn State. Alcorn State went to 6 straight SWAC championship games and won 4 of them. They can retake the SWAC because Fred McNair is one heck of a coach. Not to mention he is the brother of a legend (RIP to Steve McNair). Lets also not forget that the coach that got the ball rolling for them, Jay Hopson, managed to coach on the FBS level at Southern Miss before handing the team over to McNair. Jay Hopson failed at Southern Miss, but he was still able to make the jump.

The only other teams that could really make a run like that are FAMU. They have Willie Simmons as head coach and he's shown that his team is tough as hell. Their only disappointment so far has been the game played last year in the FCS playoffs and the game they played against JSU this season. The other problem is that Willie Simmons might entertain going to the FBS level. He's an alum of Clemson so he could definitely make the switch if he wants. I feel like his wife will try to keep him at FAMU since she's a Rattler alum.

Then there's the two Louisiana schools, Grambling and Southern. They're always at each others necks for who will represent the SWAC western division. I think Grambling has a head up because of Hue Jackson being fresh out of the NFL.

Coaches that could make the FBS jump: Hue Jackson, Willie Simmons and Fred McNair. I would even toss in Vincent Dancy at Mississippi Valley. MVSU has been absolutely terrible at almost all sports, but Deion Sanders really loves Coach Dancy. If Jackson State doesn't snatch him up, I could see Deion giving him an opportunity to help him at Colorado.

If we look outside the SWAC, you better believe that folks are waiting for an opportunity to snatch up Eddie George from Tennessee State. If Tennessee State fan base had their way, they would force the school to leave the Ohio Valley conference and join the SWAC. I think I saw a Tennessee State supporter on this board so he can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Sure people are salty because they didn’t allow themselves to believe he was going to leave them so soon, and not for a job as bad and as white as Colorado. But also:

Still with the “It’s not me, it’s G*d.”

Has Deion issued a statement to JSU fans/alums yet? Has he said a thank you?

I think Deion absolutely should have taken the job. But let’s also not gas light JSU fans over this. He did handle things pretty badly.

I'm sure he will address the fan base after the Celebration Bowl. I at least hope he does right by the post game media this time. The way he did them at the SWAC championship was foul.

Also, as a Jackson State supporter, I don't think anybody cares which school he chooses on the FBS level. My main gripe with him is that he left too soon. I wanted to see 3 things before he left Jackson.
1. Compete against the top teams of the FCS. The SWAC conference has been listed as the lowest conference on the FCS level. He really had a chance to earn the respect of the powers that be by either entering the FCS playoffs or scheduling some FCS OOC games, but he kept making excuses. A Jackson State game against Montana or North Dakota State would have been huge!!!

2. Not allowing one of his top Jackson State players to make it to the draft. One thing HBCUs in general want to see is a player get drafted high. That could have possibly happened with Sheduer or Travis Hunter. Now they will be claiming Colorado when they enter the draft.

3. Bring more 5 stars to the HBCU level. I'm seeing 5 star players say that Deion reached out to them to play at JSU but they weren't sold on playing at the HBCUs. Now those players are 100% committed to him at Colorado.

Bo made similar points on his pod yesterday too + the fact that he never thanked JSU fans or Jackson in general

Before Jackson State was popping, the spotlight was on their main rivals, Alcorn State. Alcorn State went to 6 straight SWAC championship games and won 4 of them. They can retake the SWAC because Fred McNair is one heck of a coach. Not to mention he is the brother of a legend (RIP to Steve McNair). Lets also not forget that the coach that got the ball rolling for them, Jay Hopson, managed to coach on the FBS level at Southern Miss before handing the team over to McNair. Jay Hopson failed at Southern Miss, but he was still able to make the jump.

The only other teams that could really make a run like that are FAMU. They have Willie Simmons as head coach and he's shown that his team is tough as hell. Their only disappointment so far has been the game played last year in the FCS playoffs and the game they played against JSU this season. The other problem is that Willie Simmons might entertain going to the FBS level. He's an alum of Clemson so he could definitely make the switch if he wants. I feel like his wife will try to keep him at FAMU since she's a Rattler alum.

Then there's the two Louisiana schools, Grambling and Southern. They're always at each others necks for who will represent the SWAC western division. I think Grambling has a head up because of Hue Jackson being fresh out of the NFL.

Coaches that could make the FBS jump: Hue Jackson, Willie Simmons and Fred McNair. I would even toss in Vincent Dancy at Mississippi Valley. MVSU has been absolutely terrible at almost all sports, but Deion Sanders really loves Coach Dancy. If Jackson State doesn't snatch him up, I could see Deion giving him an opportunity to help him at Colorado.

If we look outside the SWAC, you better believe that folks are waiting for an opportunity to snatch up Eddie George from Tennessee State. If Tennessee State fan base had their way, they would force the school to leave the Ohio Valley conference and join the SWAC. I think I saw a Tennessee State supporter on this board so he can correct me if I'm wrong.
I think he was asking rhetorical questions to prove a point lol. Deion didn’t do that much for HBCUs when the average CFB fan can’t answer these questions, which is why he asked aepps20 aepps20

I think he was asking rhetorical questions to prove a point lol. Deion didn’t do that much for HBCUs when the average CFB fan can’t answer these questions, which is why he asked aepps20 aepps20
You are acting like he didn't do anything which is false. His actions though self serving did help not just HBCUs, JSU but Jackson itself. Did you know about the Jackson water crisis before he spoke up? Most people were not aware even though it had been going on for a year before mainstream media mentioned it.

The average CFB fan can't name the head coaches of programs outside of the top 25 so that's a low bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom