Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Baez, 2-run Homer.
Heyward doubles in first AB after DL, Happ doubles him home.
Murphy follows with a 2-run bomb.

5-1

Brewers lose. 11 games left, could have a 3.5 game lead if hold tonight.

Brewers play Cardinals starting Monday.

I think Hendricks was right. Traveling to Arizona and having a game that starts at 8:40 central time is kinda like a day off from their Sunday 1:20 game. Whatever it may be thank god that the bats are awoke. Milwaukee lost too, so 3.5 up and magic number is down to 8. Go Cubs

Sad news.......Morrow shut down.

No Darvish, no Morrow for October. :frown:

But, we do have Hamels and Chavez.

I think Hendricks was right. Traveling to Arizona and having a game that starts at 8:40 central time is kinda like a day off from their Sunday 1:20 game. Whatever it may be thank god that the bats are awoke. Milwaukee lost too, so 3.5 up and magic number is down to 8. Go Cubs

ya see, i told ya to keep the faith. you was pressing the panic button. LOL!!!!!

The day before your first off day in a month, there's no doubt a letdown was happenin there. :lol:

In a 7 month season, you're gonna get 3-4 of those.

With arbitration raises and escalating contracts already on the books, the Cubs couldn’t seriously go after Harper unless they were willing to enter a new stratosphere of spending. But there is already reason to believe the Cubs will have some willingness to go over the luxury tax this offseason, and Harper, specifically, might be a reason to do it.

Consider a couple quotes from Theo Epstein before this season:

• On the luxury tax for this year, and going forward: “You have to look at these things from short-term and long-term perspectives. One of our goals was to put the team together this year in a way that would maybe allow us to reset under the [luxury tax] threshold. Going forward, we think that made sense in the big picture for us.” Reset, eh? Going forward, eh? Long-term perspective, eh?
  • On spending big next year even after committing seven figures to Yu Darvish, emphasis added: “If you look at our needs, knock on wood if we can stay healthy and productive for the most part through our roster, everybody’s back and for the next few years. We shouldn’t have tremendous needs. But we have some work to do to make sure we’re in position to be able to pounce if a certain great fit or just the right special player happens to become available, or somebody wants to be in Chicago and something becomes too good to turn down, too impactful or too good to deal would mean too much to the team, we just have to work hard to get in position to do that. Rosters are flexible, payrolls are flexible. We would never put ourselves in a position to be completely inflexible going forward.”
Bryce Harper, of course, was never explicitly discussed. And he wouldn’t be. But the point is obvious enough: if a truly special player (check) becomes available (check), and if he wants to be in Chicago (hypothetical check), then rosters and payrolls can be flexible (boom).

Where will Bryce Harper play game 1 of the 2019 MLB Season?
Chicago Cubs 3/2
Los Angeles Dodgers 7/2
New York Yankees 9/2
Philadelphia Phillies 13/2
Washington Nationals 7/1
Boston Red Sox 9/1
Los Angeles Angels 12/1
San Francisco Giants 15/1

:smokin

Cubs take 2 of 3 vs White Sox.

Winning record on road for 4th straight year.
90+ wins for 4th straight year.
Both of these things happen for first time in 100+ years. #GoldenEra

2.5 game lead with 7 games left. All at home.

It’s just surreal that the cubs have been so good for so long now. Back when I was growing up it was bulls and bears and we always wondered when the cubs would be this good because they were always bad. It is such a great time to be a cubs fan

3-0 pirates and the cardinals losing big to the brewers. If we don't win this game we will lose the division. Quote me on this

This team has a lot of holes and lots of players got injured. While the brewers are healthier and younger. All signs point to them getting division since Labor Day. We’ll make the playoffs but for me the Wildcard won't feel as good

I actually told people back in May that this division race would go to the final week. Milwaukee got better from last year when they fizzled instead of us now

We're in big trouble. I see nothing from this team that tells me we can go deep in the playoffs.....if we even make it.

Back
Top Bottom