Official "(500) Days of Summer" Thread

First, a couple of a minor pet peeves/advice:

I really get annoyed when people say, "I heard good things about the movie so I assumed it was going to be something amazing but it was not."Depending on the person you heard that from, you should value that opinion extremely little. Keep an open mind as much as you can. I digress...

I will preface my overall thought on the movie by saying that the movie does not fit the category of perfection. A couple of very minute details I hadslight qualms with; those don't matter because this movie is AWESOME. It's extremely difficult to maneuver a romantic comedy in a way that will notcome off as cliche; this film not only surpassed that crippling barrier, it did some things I have not seen in the genre while adding such effective subtletyin the acting and direction that seperate this film from the nearly derogatory "rom-com" tag.

I don't care about the movie although it looks good.

I love Zooey. Like I really really want to impregnate this woman and thing is there's something about her that makes me think I really can.

FINALLY playing near me this friday.. i will be at the first 1:30 pm showing of it
laugh.gif
i'm gonna be so disappointed if it's not amazing, just b/ci've been waiting for so long hearing good things.

i enjoyed the movie a lot good film!
pimp.gif

im going to look into that "adam" movie that was spoken about in here

Really liked it a lot.. to be honest with you, it was actually making me really a bit uncomfortable with some of the stuff that happened and just how the maincharacter was. But I take that as a sign of a good movie, and Zooey is just freaking unbelievable, as was the Autumn character.

I loved the line about "She literally took a @$@* on my face".... "Literally?"..."No, not literally... what's wrong withyou?"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And the scene after he first has sex with her is great too, the dancing in the streets and what not.

Really well done movie, especially for a genre that is usually a bunch of crap.

Will probably try to see this again before it's done in theaters.

Adam looked good too.

Good movie. My wife and I saw it last weekend. I was not disappointed. I liked the way that they told a conventional story in an unconventional way. It hopeother filmakers (an movie studios) take note that it is possible to make a romantic comedy that doesn't follow the typical, lame formula.

Yes, and I've been a fan of Zooey since Almost Famous and especially Elf.

Summer was a jerk.

How does she invite Tom to her party and not tell him she's engaged? It's ok though because she's quirky, has nice blue eyes and quoted Belle andSebastian in her high school yearbook.
laugh.gif

Zooey needs to find some better roles. Last summer was The Happening ("We can't just stand around and become uninvolved observers!") and now thissummer. 2 L's.

MOVIE WAS %!*%$!#%

real talk the movie was so wack

that dude was the biggest slimp known to man

that girl did nothing wrong to him and he gets all mad and *++* like a +%!$%. She was up front and told dude she was not in for all that and then she didntlike him so what

AND you can tell the guy played the director in real life from the opening when he was like this is not about jenny B and then called her a +%!$%

the movie was just the directors excuse to portray his side of the story like 20 years later. he needs to get over it

this movie was a joke I hated it and really left thinking that everyone who thought it was deep and good were lame

/rant

damn it feels forever since i've seen this movie.
laugh.gif

great film.
pimp.gif

but yo, i don't really get all that butterflies inside the stomach feelin type %$#@, but i do when i look at this girl's eyes, man.
smh.gif
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

JiveTurkey813 wrote:
Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

MOVIE WAS #%$!!+#*

that girl did nothing wrong to him and he gets all mad and !!!@ like a !#*@#. She was up front and told dude she was not in for all that and then she didnt like him so what

AND you can tell the guy played the director in real life from the opening when he was like this is not about jenny B and then called her a !#*@#

the movie was just the directors excuse to portray his side of the story like 20 years later. he needs to get over it

this movie was a joke I hated it and really left thinking that everyone who thought it was deep and good were lame

/rant
Cosign by me and the gf..... LOL

yeah bro real talk

that guy played a loser

the girl did nothing bad or mean to him at all. He even got told that in the diner by the blind date lady

then his wack sister who was way to young to give such good advice was like think of the bad times. so they make up some bad times #++%*$$% when really therewere none. girl was straight the whole time

The movie was runied from the start with that little bit about this movie being totally coincidence and not about Jenny B then he called her a "B"

He went out of his way to make the summer girl look mean but she really wasent she was straight the whole way through. She liked dude but was like im not intothat BF stuff and dude got mad

obviously dude still hurt

MOVIE WAS %!*%$!#%

that girl did nothing wrong to him and he gets all mad and *++* like a +%!$%. She was up front and told dude she was not in for all that and then she didnt like him so what

AND you can tell the guy played the director in real life from the opening when he was like this is not about jenny B and then called her a +%!$%

/rant

i don't think it was deep.. i just thought it was accurate.

Those are real emotions I think many people have experienced, and it was a fun story told in a way that wasn't the typical cookie-cutter format. Sorry wecan't all be boss-playa's like you, with a whole like of $@%! and no feelings for the female sex beyond banging them.
grin.gif

Craftsy21 wrote:

MOVIE WAS %!*%$!#%

that girl did nothing wrong to him and he gets all mad and *++* like a +%!$%. She was up front and told dude she was not in for all that and then she didnt like him so what

/rant

Those are real emotions I think many people have experienced, and it was a fun story told in a way that wasn't the typical cookie-cutter format. Sorry we can't all be boss-playa's like you, with a whole like of $@%! and no feelings for the female sex beyond banging them.
grin.gif

man you are 100% right it was real emotions

and I dont proclaim to be a boss or player or anything like that

but the dude needs to get over himself.

Have I been in that spot where i liked a girl and she didnt like me, yes. But I didnt let it affect me for the rest of my life (like the director) No.

Im just saying people think the summer girl played a %$$@% in the movie but she didnt. The dude couldnt get the girl

but in life you take the L and keep it moving

edit

really it was just a big pitty fest. with the guy feeling sorry himself for about and hour and a half tell me meets the girl at the end

i just got turned off cause i saw the main character as the director. Then i saw all the ways the director tried to make the main character look good that wereout of context of his actions throughout the whole film

Craftsy21 wrote:

MOVIE WAS %!*%$!#%

/rant

Those are real emotions I think many people have experienced, and it was a fun story told in a way that wasn't the typical cookie-cutter format. Sorry we can't all be boss-playa's like you, with a whole like of $@%! and no feelings for the female sex beyond banging them.
grin.gif

Have I been in that spot where i liked a girl and she didnt like me, yes. But I didnt let it affect me for the rest of my life (like the director) No.

Im just saying people think the summer girl played a %$$@% in the movie but she didnt. The dude couldnt get the girl

edit

really it was just a big pitty fest. with the guy feeling sorry himself for about and hour and a half tell me meets the girl at the end

i just got turned off cause i saw the main character as the director. Then i saw all the ways the director tried to make the main character look good that were out of context of his actions throughout the whole film

I definitely agree that this was autobiographical - and i actually think there was maybe even more autobiographical in there than we may realize. But this wasn't a turnoff to me, I thought that made it even better or me.

And I think you have the same realizations as the main character - you think for most of the movie that this girl is doing him wrong, but in the end yourealize at the same time the character does that she was fairly justified in what she did - it was like you shared the epiphany with the guy.. he even says toher "i really do hope you're happy" as the last thing to her, so i think he gets it.

he ends up taking the L - he just doesn't get there as quickly as you may have wanted him to. But I can speak from personal experience on this one - andcall me a simp if you want... sometimes you just can't move past certain people as quickly as you wish you could. Sometimes it takes a true epiphany likehe had.

So in this way - i like the film even more.

To me it sounds like you actually liked it
laugh.gif

AKA King Arthur wrote:

i just got turned off cause i saw the main character as the director. Then i saw all the ways the director tried to make the main character look good that were out of context of his actions throughout the whole film

Why would you think that? The director didn't write it.

Anyway, this movie isn't about men perfectly reading the opposite sex. It is about how imperfect relationships - and our perceptions of them - can be. Themovie laid that out right off the bat when it explained that Tom's idea of love was shaped by a misinterpretation of The Graduate and Summer's idea wasinfluenced by her parent's divorce. If that wasn't your cup of tea you probably should have walked out right there and got your money back.

Craftsy21 wrote:

Craftsy21 wrote:

MOVIE WAS %!*%$!#%

/rant

grin.gif

edit

I definitely agree that this was autobiographical - and i actually think there was maybe even more autobiographical in there than we may realize. But this wasn't a turnoff to me, I thought that made it even better or me.

And I think you have the same realizations as the main character - you think for most of the movie that this girl is doing him wrong, but in the end you realize at the same time the character does that she was fairly justified in what she did - it was like you shared the epiphany with the guy.. he even says to her "i really do hope you're happy" as the last thing to her, so i think he gets it.

he ends up taking the L - he just doesn't get there as quickly as you may have wanted him to. But I can speak from personal experience on this one - and call me a simp if you want... sometimes you just can't move past certain people as quickly as you wish you could. Sometimes it takes a true epiphany like he had.

laugh.gif

you got me wrong fam

i never thought the girl was every doing the guy wrong ever. I always knew that it was going to end bad for the dude but i was waiting for the girl to screwhim over and she never did. The girl is 100% free and clear of doing anything shady to me

the girl was always 100 with the guy and he just got mad for no reason other than the ones he created.

and at the end when he says i hope your happy i didnt beleive that $#%! for a second

there is no way this movie would even be made if the director hoped she was happy.

Craftsy21 wrote:

Craftsy21 wrote:

MOVIE WAS %!*%$!#%

/rant

grin.gif

edit

And I think you have the same realizations as the main character - you think for most of the movie that this girl is doing him wrong, but in the end you realize at the same time the character does that she was fairly justified in what she did - it was like you shared the epiphany with the guy.. he even says to her "i really do hope you're happy" as the last thing to her, so i think he gets it.

he ends up taking the L - he just doesn't get there as quickly as you may have wanted him to. But I can speak from personal experience on this one - and call me a simp if you want... sometimes you just can't move past certain people as quickly as you wish you could. Sometimes it takes a true epiphany like he had.

laugh.gif

you got me wrong fam

i never thought the girl was every doing the guy wrong ever. I always knew that it was going to end bad for the dude but i was waiting for the girl to screw him over and she never did. The girl is 100% free and clear of doing anything shady to me

the girl was always 100 with the guy and he just got mad for no reason other than the ones he created.

and at the end when he says i hope your happy i didnt beleive that $#%! for a second

there is no way this movie would even be made if the director hoped she was happy.

Well that's just people having different takes on the movie then... i do believe at the end he wanted her to be happy, because he did love her.

For one - you know from the start things aren't going to work out b/c they tell you..

And she wasn't always 100 - she said she wanted to keep things casual, yet she was always the one pushing things with being more serious and steady. Actions and words did not match, it's easy to see how somebody would catch feelings.. hell, she caught feelings too... she just realized that he wasn'tthe one for her while he thought she was for him.

And like somebody else said - diretor didn't write it, but i know you mean the writer.

yeah the writer/whoever is responsible for the opening

i think he hated her

why would he open with the word @!$!@ and want her to be happy

she broke his heart he wrote the movie he is still not over it

and i didnt see what you saw from the girl in the movie oh her pushing him but to be honest we are never going to know what really happened only how the writerprecieved things

but no way the dude ment it at the end. maybe he loves her fine. but he hates her the same and is mad cause she broke his heart

Nope. Summer was a jerk.

Not interested in a serious relationship? Don't sleep with the person that you KNOW wants a relationship with you.

Also, she didn't tell Tom about her engagement so he took another L at the party and dipped. If it'd been 6 months since they "split" thenwhy not tell him you're seeing someone else?

Obviously it's not all her fault as Tom did some simping but Summer was an indecisive waffler. She's the type of broad that doesn't want to play bysociety's expectations of her then expects everyone to know this---all done because she doesn't even understand her own crackpot philosophy on lifeuntil she meets her fiance and he puts some sense into her.

Yeah, the movie upset me and I went in hoping to like it. The relationship aspect is interesting but the film was brought down by the whole "look at me,I'm quirky!"...

Back
Top Bottom