OFFICIAL AIR FORCE ONE THREAD!!!!!

Aside from the fact that the pleather curly tongue introduced in 2009 is an absolute deal-breaker for me, there have been plenty of clean colorways I could go for. But I’m sitting on so many pairs that it really takes a perfect storm for me to pick up another pair of AF1s. I would have bought almost anything from 2001-2007 But now it’s gonna take a combination of colorway, construction, materials, and lack of other releases around the same time.

I’ve only spent my own money on three ‘new’ colorways since 2009: arctic green suede, Ruckers, and Pendleton IDs. I would have also loved to have but missed out on the white/orange/blue Soho exclusive and the white canvas Travis (to be worn only with zero of the accessories). Everything else I’ve picked up since then has been an older pair or a retro.

In my opinion the overall quality of releases has been utter filth for 15 years.

I understand the model became oversaturated in the mid 2000s. I understand white on whites will sell even if they’re made out of recycled G.I. Joes. I understand the current market dictates that they use ‘influencers’ and ‘collaborators’ to move the needle. I understand Nike’s business model now targets a broader consumer base. But they have dropped a steamer on their core and completely abandoned what made this shoe what it was in the first place. This was a shoe that became what it was cuz people walked into their local stores and demanded it. So maybe it actually makes sense for Nike to be so out of touch.

End rant…. For now

Aside from the fact that the pleather curly tongue introduced in 2009 is an absolute deal-breaker for me, there have been plenty of clean colorways I could go for. But I’m sitting on so many pairs that it really takes a perfect storm for me to pick up another pair of AF1s. I would have bought almost anything from 2001-2007 But now it’s gonna take a combination of colorway, construction, materials, and lack of other releases around the same time.

I’ve only spent my own money on three ‘new’ colorways since 2009: arctic green suede, Ruckers, and Pendleton IDs. I would have also loved to have but missed out on the white/orange/blue Soho exclusive and the white canvas Travis (to be worn only with zero of the accessories). Everything else I’ve picked up since then has been an older pair or a retro.

In my opinion the overall quality of releases has been utter filth for 15 years.

I understand the model became oversaturated in the mid 2000s. I understand white on whites will sell even if they’re made out of recycled G.I. Joes. I understand the current market dictates that they use ‘influencers’ and ‘collaborators’ to move the needle. I understand Nike’s business model now targets a broader consumer base. But they have dropped a steamer on their core and completely abandoned what made this shoe what it was in the first place. This was a shoe that became what it was cuz people walked into their local stores and demanded it. So maybe it actually makes sense for Nike to be so out of touch.

End rant…. For now
Facts. My collection isn't more than a few dozen pairs but I have (or have had) many of my all time favorite sneakers. Nike's not putting out stuff that's gonna top pairs I've loved for years. As with other things in life I gotta appreciate what I got instead of stressing bout what I don't.

I’m almost back at my 40 pair limit after these NBYs arrive. I don’t wanna get to the point again where I’m selling off shoes because I don’t wear them. I let some nice pairs go in the past and was cruising down memory lane last night.

All of my highs and my couple pairs of mids are outta here. It’s lows only for me now. A few of the pairs that had me in my feelings…

DFC8B381-9953-485D-9C2A-329EA4DC4258.jpeg

14150AD5-CAAD-4C33-A7B2-9F587BE8226F.jpeg

20CA1803-C755-41A8-BEDF-2A05565B49DA.jpeg

CF0A5E80-991B-4B2E-B777-8DA1A1C8E139.jpeg

5FD430EC-1F20-4D86-BB37-33294E68F04B.jpeg

Last edited:
When you’re at Nike campus you hear the word “innovation” all the time. They’re preaching to the developers and the designers to be innovative and come up with something new. So when you see those weird AF1 hybrids, that’s a result of someone just doing their job. I’d say maybe 10% of Nike has been a member of NT and even less of those people think like an NTr. They’re focused on bring in a new consumer- making our needs last on the totem pole.
I personally know a few people like us that are fighting for us, but then there’s a higher up who comes along and doesn’t see the vision.
I try to have fun with the IDs and don’t even worry about the new stuff.

Randoms I came across at Nike today, all made of that premium plastic stuff.
E1C36683-060D-4160-ADBE-F264FFD09821.jpeg

When you’re at Nike campus you hear the word “innovation” all the time. They’re preaching to the developers and the designers to be innovative and come up with something new. So when you see those weird AF1 hybrids, that’s a result of someone just doing their job. I’d say maybe 10% of Nike has been a member of NT and even less of those people think like an NTr. They’re focused on bring in a new consumer- making our needs last on the totem pole.
I personally know a few people like us that are fighting for us, but then there’s a higher up who comes along and doesn’t see the vision.
I try to have fun with the IDs and don’t even worry about the new stuff.

Great inside insight Ty as usual.

This is what happens when you get too big and count beans. NSW should have stayed as a hedge bet and should share resources more across the whole company. That’s not the place for ‘innovation’. The architects should stay in Nike proper and NSW should just be the interior designers and historians. Ironically JB now juggles new and retro fairly well.

To Ty's point, Nike is gonna make a lot more money off of randoms that walk into stores or click on ads online that go directly to their website than from us. If they get some 10-15 year olds hooked on Nike due to their parents buying them their first pair of wacky hybrid react lunar frankenforces, they've done their job. Washed sneakerheads that want the most specific perfect product are a very very small part of their consumers.

I'm a great example of that. Pops bought me my first AF1s from a mom and pop when I was in 8th grade; I didn't go in and say "dad I want some air force 1s with a sleek toe shape, thick full grain leather and a gum bottom" I just wanted some new Nikes. Wound up with the Barkley Suns forces. Terrible pair retrospectively, I just like the color purple, but I loved them when I was 13 and wound up getting another pair of forces for my first day of HS from sneakerhead.com. I was already loyal to Nike since I was like 8 years old, but still, it drew me further in.

1630090334792.png

To Ty's point, Nike is gonna make a lot more money off of randoms that walk into stores or click on ads online that go directly to their website than from us. If they get some 10-15 year olds hooked on Nike due to their parents buying them their first pair of wacky hybrid react lunar frankenforces, they've done their job. Washed sneakerheads that want the most specific perfect product are a very very small part of their consumers.

I'm a great example of that. Pops bought me my first AF1s from a mom and pop when I was in 8th grade; I didn't go in and say "dad I want some air force 1s with a sleek toe shape, thick full grain leather and a gum bottom" I just wanted some new Nikes. Wound up with the Barkley Suns forces. Terrible pair retrospectively, I just like the color purple, but I loved them when I was 13 and wound up getting another pair of forces for my first day of HS from sneakerhead.com. I was already loyal to Nike since I was like 8 years old, but still, it drew me further in.

1630090334792.png
worst colorblocking ever whenever they split the top and bottom part of the foxing. this was around the time i got back into caring about what kicks i wore. the early 2000s were mostly boots and whatever kicks i got for free most times.

but this era was great for grabbing CL dunks pretty cheap. such a shame you can't find any now unless you jump through hoops.

I won't elaborate to much on what donjuan513 donjuan513 said other than just know that the real 'shot callers' at Nike aren't interested in rehashing what made Nike what it is. They are more interested in how they can keep their margins low and profits high. That mindset is masked by words like 'innovation'.

As I've gotten older I've realized more and more that Nike is a business, a business that answers to shareholders and not to nostalgic sneaker collectors like the majority of us on this board. If you are an emotional Nike 'fan boy' they will let you down. Every time. Be happy with what they do release and be pleasantly surprised when they release something we thought we would never see.

I won't elaborate to much on what donjuan513 donjuan513 They are more interested in how they can keep their margins low and profits high. That mindset is masked by words like 'innovation'.

As I've gotten older I've realized more and more that Nike is a business, a business that answers to shareholders and not to nostalgic sneaker collectors like the majority of us on this board.
Capitalism 101. Critique of political economy aside, I've learned to just grab what I can when Nike does throw crumbs at sneaker enthusiasts

Yes, but….
If the argument is people are only buying frankenforces cuz they’ll buy whatever, then just sell whatever. No need to tear down a classic in the process. I suspect much of this stems from retail partners saying they want more of this and that cuz it sells. Then junior designers at Nike that are stuck where they don’t really want to be come up with a new spot to throw a zipper. Some executive says in a J. Jonah Jameson voice, “More Air Force 1s!”, “Innovation!”, “Approved!” The stock price goes up and they get a bonus. Before the pendulum swings back they’ve taken a job at Stanley Black and Decker. And the junior designer moves over to adidas to design another new knit pattern for the Ultra Boost.

Bought the far left pair and was surprised at the slick “leather” when I took them out the box compared to some regular ole white/white from 2018 I still wear.

however slick it looks in the picture is exactly how it feels lol. I still want a pair just need a .5 up but nobody got it

Back
Top Bottom