OFFICIAL AIR FORCE ONE THREAD!!!!!

Toe box soft leather and premium plastic everywhere else.
3D928608-0C08-4704-8462-2246A0B44576.jpeg

Toe box soft leather and premium plastic everywhere else.
3D928608-0C08-4704-8462-2246A0B44576.jpeg

around 5:35 he talks about how the upper is all leather (compared to an aj1 mid that was mostly synthetic), and at 9:15 he even points out that the leather has an internal grain structure, ie it isn't the cheapest (split grain) leather, and this is a plain af1, not an lx.

what has you so confident that these panels aren't a high quality (albeit stiff) leather?

around 5:35 he talks about how the upper is all leather (compared to an aj1 mid that was mostly synthetic), and at 9:15 he even points out that the leather has an internal grain structure, ie it isn't the cheapest (split grain) leather, and this is a plain af1, not an lx.

what has you so confident that these panels aren't a high quality (albeit stiff) leather?

How do you know the materials on the sneaker in the video, are the same as on the pair donjuan513 donjuan513 has? 🤔

How do you know the materials on the sneaker in the video, are the same as on the pair donjuan513 donjuan513 has? 🤔
obviously i'm not expecting them to be identical but the white thank you bag af1s were categorized as a "luxe" model with a higher price point, which i have a hard time imagining is actually of lower material quality than the widely available base model

all that video tells me is the leather on most of these af1's is really ****ty. it could be leather underneath but the coating he shaved off was almost like a vinyl coating.

all that video tells me is the leather on most of these af1's is really ****ty. it could be leather underneath but the coating he shaved off was almost like a vinyl coating.

you know that has almost no bearing on the quality of the leather, right? the coating is there to make everything look more consistent and give it properties natural leather doesn't have, like water resistance, and that's standard practice even in luxury fashion--people still carry prada bags made of saffiano that are over 50 years old. sure, the leather in an AF1 isn't top shelf, but it's not bonded leather or even a split, but actual grain. that's not at all insignificant.

that being said, an extremely small percentage of consumers would even consider resoleing a nike upper, so it's really not in nike's interest to produce uppers that vastly outlast their soles.

you know that has almost no bearing on the quality of the leather, right? the coating is there to make everything look more consistent and give it properties natural leather doesn't have, like water resistance, and that's standard practice even in luxury fashion--people still carry prada bags made of saffiano that are over 50 years old. sure, the leather in an AF1 isn't top shelf, but it's not bonded leather or even a split, but actual grain. that's not at all insignificant.

that being said, an extremely small percentage of consumers would even consider resoleing a nike upper, so it's really not in nike's interest to produce uppers that vastly outlast their soles.
i hear you but its almost like they can get away with not using leather at all underneath that thick coating, which I think will become the norm in the name of "sustainability". look at the recent tumbled leather af1's.

I think his most telling video was the shattered backboard aj1. nike made a limited pair which is now considered the "standard" for good leather on a nike. meanwhile the shoe is half synthetic.

i want to see him cut a dunk sp from last year as thats anoher specific leather type nike uses on "premium" pairs.

Feel them and see for yourself. I think the $120 price tag is more based on the bag coming with the shoes and not the material used on the shoe.

I always think its funny(not really) how from 2000 to 2007 each year the shape of AF1s changed every year it got wider I think 2000-2002being mostly a like(goldera) 2004 in my opinion is the last year for that great og shape (on some not all)
a pair from 2002 feels totally diff from a 2005
but at the same time I think patent leather 1s were done best in that era

Back
Top Bottom