Official: Air Jordan 18 Retro Releasing in 2018

OMFG... you have to be trolling. You really think JB didnt make a ton of profit off those pairs you bought for the low?? The low for you is still 10x minimum profit for them. It is absolutely worth their time and money to make the best 17, if they already made a ton off the worst OG 17.

20x “minimum profit” > 10x “minimum profit”

It’s that simple, they couldn’t move pairs at $250 so they ended up discounting them when they could’ve produced other pairs that would’ve netted a better profit instead. To a lesser extent, something similar is happening to AJ2s. If you don’t think Nike/JB are factoring in market demand to their production runs of certain models and even CWs, Idk what to tell you.

20x “minimum profit” > 10x “minimum profit”

It’s that simple, they couldn’t move pairs at $250 so they ended up discounting them when they could’ve produced other pairs that would’ve netted a better profit instead. To a lesser extent, something similar is happening to AJ2s. If you don’t think Nike/JB are factoring in market demand to their production runs of certain models and even CWs, Idk what to tell you.

Then why did they bring back the 18 and 19!? Lol you sound ridiculous!

Then why did they bring back the 18 and 19!? Lol you sound ridiculous!

Again, look at the price points of the 17-19-they were testing the waters for wider releases, just like they did with the 17s since we hadn’t seen retros since the CDP pack (which itself was an exception). OG cws sitting is a bad look for the brand so this also factors into the demand side of the equation. Things could change though if the demand for those products changes especially if they find a better price point to move them at, but this gets tricky since it’s essentially admitting they overvalued the product. Nike/JB take all of this into consideration.

Again, look at the price points of the 17-19-they were testing the waters for wider releases, just like they did with the 17s since we hadn’t seen retros since the CDP pack (which itself was an exception). OG cws sitting is a bad look for the brand so this also factors into the demand side of the equation. Things could change though if the demand for those products changes especially if they find a better price point to move them at, but this gets tricky since it’s essentially admitting they overvalued the product. Nike/JB take all of this into consideration.

So they are gonna go out and test 3 different models in order to see how the market MAY respond to the College Blue 17? “Lets run through 3 releases and lower profit margins than we could on 3 more popular models, just to get an idea of if we can charge that price for this one OG colorway...” Yeah man, great argument. :smh: Trolling at its worst.

So they are gonna go out and test 3 different models in order to see how the market MAY respond to the College Blue 17? “Lets run through 3 releases and lower profit margins than we could on 3 more popular models, just to get an idea of if we can charge that price for this one OG colorway...” Yeah man, great argument. :smh: Trolling at its worst.

If that’s what you think I’m saying, I think you completely missed my point. Demand for 17-19 is different than demand for 11s, they have a basis for comparison for 11s since they have a historic sales record for 11s for 17-19, what do they have to go by? They used the strategy of dropping a mix of OG cws with new retro+ cws of those models and we can argue how effective that was (in terms of positive value for the brand) but what we can’t argue is that, by-and-large customers were not receptive to that $250 price point. Again, they could have simply overvalued those releases in terms of meeting the demand for them.

EDIT: Actually ‘94 retros are an early example of this-they tested the water with retros and those infamously didn’t sell well so we didn’t see retros again until years later.

EDIT: Actually ‘94 retros are an early example of this-they tested the water with retros and those infamously didn’t sell well so we didn’t see retros again until years later.
Did they stop because of lack of sales, or MJ coming back? Or maybe both. The rest of the world was not ready for older models to return. I know I was. But that whole "last years shoe" mentality was still around in the mid 90s. Selling retros while Jordan was playing may have been something they intentionally did not want. They wanted people buying 11s, 12s, 13s, etc.
Or maybe when everyone thought Jordan was really done playing in 1998, they were ready to look back at older sigs.

I always felt like the 21 turned over a new chapter for Jordan Brand.

But I would love a pair of the grey suede again. Had those in HS. So comfortable.

The newer models just don't have the same nostalgia for mass consumers so we rarely get them and when we do it's not many.

I'd love Olympic 19 SE, launch/Midwest/QS 20s, grey 21s. And some damn TEAM FBI.

I was honestly surprised they gave us the Flint 19s a few years ago. I get compliments every time I wear them.

If that’s what you think I’m saying, I think you completely missed my point. Demand for 17-19 is different than demand for 11s, they have a basis for comparison for 11s since they have a historic sales record for 11s for 17-19, what do they have to go by? They used the strategy of dropping a mix of OG cws with new retro+ cws of those models and we can argue how effective that was (in terms of positive value for the brand) but what we can’t argue is that, by-and-large customers were not receptive to that $250 price point. Again, they could have simply overvalued those releases in terms of meeting the demand for them.

I thought JB makes their money once they sell the stock to their vendors.
Wouldn’t the loss of profit be on store that aren’t selling out the shoes (FTL, FA, DSG etc)

I always felt like the 21 turned over a new chapter for Jordan Brand.

But I would love a pair of the grey suede again. Had those in HS. So comfortable.

The newer models just don't have the same nostalgia for mass consumers so we rarely get them and when we do it's not many.

I'd love Olympic 19 SE, launch/Midwest/QS 20s, grey 21s. And some damn TEAM FBI.

I was honestly surprised they gave us the Flint 19s a few years ago. I get compliments every time I wear them.

Sign me up for the FBIs. Agree that Jordan wants to set-up milking long-term profits out of a model with its manufacturing investment. This is why we have the same “hits” every year. What’s crazy is that you realize shoes like the 9 and 10 are big time money makers, as are the 1s, 3s, 4s, etc. it’s really the 2s and 8’s that don’t kill it as much out of the first 14.

JB just doesn’t seem the demand for 15-22. Can you blame them? Yes, we want 16’s, 17’s,18’s, but even I will admit, I’m cool never seeing several Jordan models again. The appeal is just too limited.

Sign me up for the FBIs. Agree that Jordan wants to set-up milking long-term profits out of a model with its manufacturing investment. This is why we have the same “hits” every year. What’s crazy is that you realize shoes like the 9 and 10 are big time money makers, as are the 1s, 3s, 4s, etc. it’s really the 2s and 8’s that don’t kill it as much out of the first 14.

JB just doesn’t seem the demand for 15-22. Can you blame them? Yes, we want 16’s, 17’s,18’s, but even I will admit, I’m cool never seeing several Jordan models again. The appeal is just too limited.
That’s because JB be butchering the colorways on the 2s and 8s

snowflake 8?
white/maroon 8?
BHM 2?
Multi color 2?

I think JB has started retroing good colorways on the 8 recently though. (South beach, “undefeated”)

The 2s though are a different story

I thought JB makes their money once they sell the stock to their vendors.
Wouldn’t the loss of profit be on store that aren’t selling out the shoes (FTL, FA, DSG etc)

Not all sales are going to vendors, in fact Nike has been moving away from distributing JB accounts to a lot of mom and pop stores, for example. But, to your point, this would primarily apply to NDC and Nike store sales that lead to releases going to outlets and whatnot. IIRC, Nike/JB have certain rules about retailers not selling their products at deep discounts either (or they risk losing their JB accounts) to maintain brand image. I think the retailers you mentioned would simply cut future orders if they found the product sitting too long, which is obviously not a good thing for longer term profits.

Did they stop because of lack of sales, or MJ coming back? Or maybe both. The rest of the world was not ready for older models to return. I know I was. But that whole "last years shoe" mentality was still around in the mid 90s. Selling retros while Jordan was playing may have been something they intentionally did not want. They wanted people buying 11s, 12s, 13s, etc.
Or maybe when everyone thought Jordan was really done playing in 1998, they were ready to look back at older sigs.

Yeah I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of what you mentioned.

‘94 retros are fascinating to me because they were fantastic but people just weren’t feeling them for whatever reason and his DEEP discounts, according to a lot of people. It’s hilarious because nowadays people revere these same shoes and CWs lol

The funny thing is that demand for retros themselves can change. OG 1s have seen a new level of hype the past few years, for example. Hell, in 2016, I bought OG Chi 1 Lows for like $70 from Ruvilla and those are going for absurd prices nowadays. I’ve also noticed that demand for 14s has really increased dramatically probably due to the Last Dance, for example, when a few years you could get some OG cws on disco like I did with the Indiglos. Maybe one day people will covet 18s and 19s, all it takes is some hype, really.

Anyone else disappointed they didn’t drop these? Wonder what there excuse was. Nothing like double stack zoom.
1607612634574.jpeg
Wow. These are nice.

The funny thing is that demand for retros themselves can change. OG 1s have seen a new level of hype the past few years, for example. Hell, in 2016, I bought OG Chi 1 Lows for like $70 from Ruvilla and those are going for absurd prices nowadays. I’ve also noticed that demand for 14s has really increased dramatically probably due to the Last Dance, for example, when a few years you could get some OG cws on disco like I did with the Indiglos. Maybe one day people will covet 18s and 19s, all it takes is some hype, really.

that’s a great point - the demand can change. We will probably get 16-19 retros every few years in more limited runs unless something hits.

we also need to remember that Nike wants the pairs they sell to FL, JD, etc. to sell out quickly as well. This keeps the retailers buying the slow moving lower tier product that keeps Nikes sales high but always goes on discount.

I was able to cop these for 200, which I think is a good price compare to how much a DS pair goes for. It took a while but I was finally able to find a pair.
The leather is definitely a bit stiff and looks like it will crease. I think the hardest part is trying to get your foot in without creasing the shoes back heel.

5D12B9F8-F78F-466C-9A4C-B8DC7E05E10E.jpeg
F1FAA460-AAC7-471B-A49E-826B96AFE3E7.jpeg
F0634FCD-8431-4C17-9A46-683E0565CF8A.jpeg
C3EB2287-3A39-4326-B81D-FF4E8AD9FAF8.jpeg
8CEF2977-F8FA-452A-B511-75BE93BD3F17.jpeg
That's a great price.

It feels so good to be back in these! Hard to believe it’s been almost twenty years.

This is probably the best retro I have ever seen, right with the stealth 20 and the navy 16.
The 16-20 retros are always so close to original.

if anyone has some ds 9.5 of the white ones you’re trying to get rid of hit me up! Lol

Attachments

• 4496E7AB-ADF4-47CA-A4FA-5366E75F326F.jpeg
    4496E7AB-ADF4-47CA-A4FA-5366E75F326F.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 614
yrok1986 yrok1986 :lol: they sucked bro. The shape was weird the suede was OD and these ****s made your foot 200 degrees not to mention they were a bad follow up to the XVII which people already thought were extra meh and overpriced at that time. They were a boring *** one piece and then had no real midsole design to break up the shoe.

Let's go the regional route though and say maybe your area liked them for some weird reason. Or maybe you were in the 35% niche that bought them up when no one else did? lol. These were not on peoples feet in abundance or sought after in ANY way until close to a decade later.

But what do I know.. I'm a talking/typing bag of trash. :lol:.

16's dropped
Leave the patent material alone.

17's dropped
Too much. Why a suitcase? Why a hook-in cover to hide the laces? Why so much in cost?

18's dropped
Nothing is going on. Too much suede.
Looks plain.

19's dropped
We went from nothing to too much on the shoe, JB cant ever get it right.

20's dropped
Why an ankle strap?

I've heard/read it all during that era of J's.
No màs por favor.

Just retro all these bad boys for me and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom