Official Bitcoin Thread

Stable Coin Regulation, With A Focus On The STABLE Act

What are stable coins? Of course the generic smart-aleck answer to explain these compound words is that they are neither stable nor coins. For example: smart contracts are neither smart nor contracts. A stable coin similar to USDC is meant to keep its value pegged to the US Dollar at 1:1. The only residual volatility in USDC is the volatility of USD. The user enters into a contract with Circle Financial Corp when they buy USDC which appears to guarantee that one USD is always convertible to one USDC and one USDC is convertible to one USD. The phrase “appears to” is in bold for reasons given later in the article. This applies to other USD based stable coins like USDT (or Tether). USDC is used as an example in this article. Once the fiat currency in a deposit account or a credit-line is converted to a stable coin, it is untethered from the fiat and can freely move around in the crypto-verse. In the case of USDC, it is supported on Ethereum, Solana and Algorand public chains.

The amount of USDC issued has increased from around $1B at the beginning of the year to around $3B at the end of November. USDT has increased to around $20B. Why is so much money flowing into stable coins? The cryptocurrency (CC) market is on a tear, the US Dollar is not directly available on CC markets, but the USD pegged stable coins are. In order to use USD to trade CC, there are two choices. Choice number one is to use an exchange to buy USD for a particular CC and hold on to it, either in a self-hosted wallet or in the exchange’s wallet, to sell the crypto-currency for USD, an off-ramp has to be used, usually an exchange. Choice number two is much better, convert the USD to a stable coin like USDC which can be held in a USDC wallet, use the USDC to buy CC. USDC is a native asset in the digital marketplace, the trades can happen independently and cheaply back and forth between USDC and the CC. Further, since CC trading happens 24/7/365. Holding volatile CCs make for sleepless nights and weekends. So during these times, when volatility is expected, the CC can be moved into a stable coin, especially if the price of the CC is expected to fall rapidly. Of course any upside in the CC is also lost. There is an excellent analysis of the asymmetric demand for stable coins in an article by Frances Coppola. She uses USDT as an example and ties it to the volatility of bitcoin.

Two significant risks are ever present in the stable coin ecosystem of today. The first one is KYC/AML/CFT. The user has to be identified and should not belong to the proscribed set of users, this data is also used for reporting taxable events to the IRS. The second risk is the surety of the peg: one USD for one USDC. In order to assure the peg, the USD received from the user has to be stored in commercial bank accounts, a significant portion in low-duration instruments. The lowest duration instrument is a checking account. A checking account yields zero interest. This liquidity is needed to satisfy a run on the stable coin. In other words, a surge in demand to convert USDC to USD needs to be covered. Guarantees tied to cash held in commercial banks on behalf of the users has attracted the attention of regulators and legislators. The STABLE Act proposed by some legislators should be seen in this light. The rest of the article is about the appropriateness of the proposals given below.

Require any prospective issuer of a stable coin to obtain a banking charter;
Require that any company offering stable coin services must follow the appropriate banking regulations under the existing regulatory jurisdictions;
Require that any company or bank issuing a stable coin to notify and obtain approval from the Fed, the FDIC, and the appropriate banking agency 6 months prior to its issuance and maintain an ongoing analysis of potential systemic impacts and risks;
And require that any stable coin issuers obtain FDIC insurance or otherwise maintain reserves at the Federal Reserve to ensure that all stable coins can be readily converted into United States dollars, on demand.
Basically, it says that all stable coin issuers should get a banking charter, almost all the other proposals follow in its footsteps. From the language, the shadow of the impending release of Diem, previously known as Libra, is on top of the legislators minds. A borderless entity with 2.7 billion built-in customers is a threat to even large sovereign governments. Ostensibly, STABLE Act is to protect Low and Middle Income (LMI) customers. There is an attempt to tar all of the stable coin issuers with the shadow banking brush. More on that subject la
960x0.jpg
ter.

You guys listen to TFTC (Tales from the Crypt)?? They did their year end recap and great live stream. Its with respected bitcoin peeps Marty Bent and Matt Odell.....anyways, they gave their price prediction for 2021 on BTC, and I almost spit out my coffee.... Marty Bent, with a straight face says:

"$250k BTC in 2021"

Matt Odell goes, "$250k wouldn't even shock me".

You guys listen to TFTC (Tales from the Crypt)?? They did their year end recap and great live stream. Its with respected bitcoin peeps Marty Bent and Matt Odell.....anyways, they gave their price prediction for 2021 on BTC, and I almost spit out my coffee.... Marty Bent, with a straight face says:

"$250k BTC in 2021"

Matt Odell goes, "$250k wouldn't even shock me".

I’m not even selling any at $200k, maybe a small percentage at $300k. I don’t see how we don’t blow past the S2F model average of $288k. People think these numbers sound crazy because they’ve been conditioned to compare it to a currency that is constantly inflating its supply. You cannot manipulate BTC supply. More dollars for the same amount of BTC = number go up 🚀

You guys think any chance it will drop again once Biden is in?

seems it thrives of instability.
it always has significantly dropped after exponential growth. however, this time could be different. a lot of institutions buying and less btc supply.

imo, can't have this growth without some type of correction

For someone just getting into the game who can’t afford a lot of btc do you think going in on eth is a move for long term?

For someone just getting into the game who can’t afford a lot of btc do you think going in on eth is a move for long term?
I always say go for the big 3. Bec, Eth, and ltc.

Just put in however much you can weekly. I’ve been doing $25 a week for the longest. It’s not a lot but everything adds up.

that is all up to u. i would not buy anything other than bitcoin and ethereum.

is there potential to make more money in alt coins? yes, but it semes based off of prev posts u want to minimize ur risk

If US decided to go crypto with the dollar, USD coin hypothetically, what would prevent them from creating their own blockchain and shading all these other coins out here?

If US decided to go crypto with the dollar, USD coin hypothetically, what would prevent them from creating their own blockchain and shading all these other coins out here?
Remember when the government built the healthcare website and how much of a disaster it was?

What makes American great unfortunately is that it still has managed to chug by while being as inefficient as possible.

This is why there is so much talk of public private partnerships to roll this tech out. The government is not really that great at creating things. Especially with all the politics involved. The idea is a universal open ledger that everyone can have open trustless or permissioned transaction through without having to get multiple third party money remittance providers involved.

There are a lot of countries piloting their CBDC right now and the one phrase I hear them all say is using access to a permissioned blockchain with hyperledger.

Everyone is focused on price and not enough on what these protocols actually do.

as mentioned above, key word is centralization. bitcoin was not only a disruptive technology at the time but also solved a trust problem that created a payment system built around TRUST. it addressed a philosophical issue and was a middle finger to financial systems that the people can be the stewards of their own finances without having to use a bank. if you look up the genesis block of bitcoin there is an encrypted message which was a headline of a UK newspaper regarding banks receiving a second bailout which indicated to me that satoshi nakamoto was giving us clues as to why bitcoin was created.

Last edited:
All one has to do is go on youtube and watch Mark Zuckerburg hearings vs GOVT officials on technology.

FRIGGIN CRINGE WORTHY.....

"So if I have my apple at this wall and walk to the other wall, you can track me?"

"I hear facebook gathers data in you eyes"

**SURE, LET'S GO WITH GOVT to make laws and regulate $$$$ !!!

Reactions: wr
to add to your question about the USA/banks digitizing the dollar...its not a question of if but when it will be done. a digital currency will allow supreme surveillance over its populace. it will allow the government to have a paper trail over all your transactions and locations.

It's a response to banks and countries abusing their power with fiat currency.

The government is literally sucking value at an ever increasing rate because they maintain a monopoly on devaluation of fiat currency.

to add to your question about the USA/banks digitizing the dollar...its not a question of if but when it will be done. a digital currency will allow supreme surveillance over its populace. it will allow the government to have a paper trail over all your transactions and locations.

It's a easier method of control.
Give benefits with programmable money that can only be spent at certain places at a certain time on certain items.
Instantly tax everyone and every transaction.
Direct data on the economy.
It actually has more pluses for them then for the people when you think about it.

All one has to do is go on youtube and watch Mark Zuckerburg hearings vs GOVT officials on technology.

FRIGGIN CRINGE WORTHY.....

"So if I have my apple at this wall and walk to the other wall, you can track me?"

"I hear facebook gathers data in you eyes"

**SURE, LET'S GO WITH GOVT to make laws and regulate $$$$ !!!

One of the committee people during the Facebook Libra hearings said something to the affect of ....." Facebook is more than a app. It is a country technically with over 2 billion citizens. If Facebook decides what's money for over 2 billion people, Facebook will be in direct competition bwith governments all around the world."

Government gonna maintain their big dog status by not giving up control of their CBDC.

The payment feature was literally on the verge of being on whatsapp in Brazil and few other countries then cancelled and these countries started promoting their own CBDC projects vs going with Libra

Most, if not all crypto open source...the main and most important reason is CENTRALIZATION.

why would you want GOVT being the central owner of YOUR $$$$

you’ve seen what they’ve done with the broken USD and money printing 8trillion
Never said that was what I wanted.
Remember when the government built the healthcare website and how much of a disaster it was?

What makes American great unfortunately is that it still has managed to chug by while being as inefficient as possible.

This is why there is so much talk of public private partnerships to roll this tech out. The government is not really that great at creating things. Especially with all the politics involved. The idea is a universal open ledger that everyone can have open trustless or permissioned transaction through without having to get multiple third party money remittance providers involved.

There are a lot of countries piloting their CBDC right now and the one phrase I hear them all say is using access to a permissioned blockchain with hyperledger.

Everyone is focused on price and not enough on what these protocols actually do.
i meant they would hire someone :lol:
as mentioned above, key word is centralization. bitcoin was not only a disruptive technology at the time but also solved a trust problem that created a payment system build around TRUST. it addressed a philosophical issue and was a middle finger to financial systems that the people can be the stewards of their own finances without having to use a bank. if you look up the genesis block of bitcoin there is an encrypted message which was a headline of a UK newspaper regarding banks receiving a second bailout which indicated to me that satoshi nakamoto was giving us clues as to why bitcoin was created.
Pretty sure the govt doesn't want everybody looking at their spending as well. Judging by the vaccine rollout the majority of the people believe in the govt blindly. At this point there has to be concern about their established monetary system in place.

I feel like all that can be done already maybe not as easily as it will be with digitized currency.

Fam you don’t need big money to bank off bitcoin. If you started buying $22 worth every week and started at the ath breakout, you’d have invested 176 and it’s worth 278 now. We’re still early the only thing you need to do is DCA. I think buying eth is smart and link honestly intrigues me but don’t neglect the OG because of price.

They say cash is trash because of how rapidly it loses buying power due to inflation, infinite money printing, no supply limit, etc. Holding cash is a guaranteed loss over time. Digital dollar would have all the same issues, thus all it would be is a digital form of trash. The US govt, or any govt really, cannot put a hard supply limit or hard code a predetermined inflation rate like bitcoin has because they would not be able to sustain their economies.

Institutions are buying bitcoin specifically to hedge against this increasing devaluation of the dollar. They would not sell it to buy a digital version of the thing they are running away from.

Back
Top Bottom