Official: Chicago Bulls Offseason Thread

Thomas is easily a double-double machine based on athleticism alone. The problem is he believes he's better than he really is. Taking jumpers he knows heshouldn't be taking, driving to the basket recklessly, using "post moves" he doesn't have. If he ever did refine his offensive game,he'd be a beast. But after watching how he's developed since being drafted, i'm indifferent to what happens to him. It'd be sad to see himgo, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by arstyle27

all this talk about Boozer and or Odom goin to Miami scares me.

Yea I was watching that on ESPN a couple of days ago and thats definitely a bad look... VERY BAD LOOK.

You don't give up on a guy in his 4th season...he needs a little more time...the Bulls need to watch the old Nash/Stoudemire tapes and have DRose come downand throw the ball up to Thomas...

On the flip side, I don't think Noah will be more than what he is today.

Originally Posted by arstyle27

Yea im getting a little concerned myself, i think Boozer to the Heat is all but a done deal. Well i guess we gotta get in some sort of position to get Boshnext summer, which scares me. For some reason i feel that we are going to come away from next summer with absolutely nothing, and if that happens i promisei'll be on the first thing smokin to the Berto Center to have a "little talk" with Gar, Pax, and especially Reinsdorf

As long as Wade doesn't re-sign then I'm cool with it.

Yes I am optimistic in having the illest back court in the league in 2010!
eek.gif

if they manage to sign Boozer and L.O. there is more than a great chance Wade will resign, seeing as though mgmt are making some strides to provide him withadequate help. Those signings would however stunt Beasleys growth so Im not sure how it would work.

The Heat shouldn't even worry about Boozer or LO7. Basically, they only have 5 players on the team next year and all 5 are options (1 player and 4 team).

What do you all think about David Lee coming over? RealGM says the Bulls are pursuing a sign and trade. He was 16 and 12 last year.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

What do you all think about David Lee coming over? RealGM says the Bulls are pursuing a sign and trade. He was 16 and 12 last year.
Basically Tyrus Thomas, but has an offensive game. I've been a fan of David Lee since he came into the league, so i'd be okay with it.

Well he doesn't give us the blocks. Doesn't he want a lot of money?

I didn't watch many Knick games the past couple of years. Are his stats more a product of D'antoni's system? I know the rebounds are about desire,but I'd hate to get him and he doesn't produce. Plus it would nullify the intent to chase after Bosh.

Also, NBA.com reports that Rose is looking like one of the favorites to make the next USA team. He will be likely to take J Kidds role as the 3rd guard.

I know he hustles his butt off. I wouldn't say his stats are based on D'Antoni's system, since he's been putting up good numbers prettyconsistently since he's been in the league (always picked him in the fantasy league
laugh.gif
). It's a shame he's been stuck on the Knicks all these years. Andi'm not sure about his money situation, but boy deserves to get some kind of money. As far as next summer goes, I don't even want to think about whatwe're going to do since our front office is so ******ed that they are probably looking at anyone and everyone. So i'll wait until the summer drawscloser to really speculate as to who may or may not come to Chicago.

i don't want david lee, waste of cap space. we already have a hustle guy in noah who gets those boards and really works his %$* of on defense. obviously,lee is better in offense but he is not worth the contract he wants.

Lee defenitely takes us a few steps back defensively, and if he's asking for big figures... I'm Straaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
smh.gif

Originally Posted by coolgy023

Basically Tyrus Thomas, but has an offensive game. I've been a fan of David Lee since he came into the league, so i'd be okay with it.
As a Knicks Fan I can say Lee is a product of the system. He has no offensive moves & plays zero defense.Good Character guy & hustles. Alot of money for just a rebounder.

Originally Posted by NICEFITDOMINICAN

Originally Posted by coolgy023

As a Knicks Fan I can say Lee is a product of the system. He has no offensive moves & plays zero defense. Good Character guy & hustles. Alot of money for just a rebounder.

The last part is too true (ben wallace) im not really thrilled on getting a big that has zero post moves. and dont we already have big men like that

Thanks Nicefit...well there we have it. Let's hope that Pax and Gar look at NT.

I'm geeked for the season to start. I got Madden and the Bears to get me through September and October.

Based on our current roster, what would you guess will be our reg season record?

47-35 I'm going to say we will have an improvement based on a full year of Salmons, Deng and Miller. I also feel that the improved play of Noah and Tyruswill get us close to the 50 win mark this year.

47-35 is a realistic record... I'm looking for a lot of improvement from Pooh, especially on the defensive end and as far as turnovers are concerned. Hecan do that then the bulls and he will have a hell of a year

Exactly, I knew I missed something. The team is capable of getting to the level of their defensive itensity when they were coached by Skiles. BG was not thebest defensive option, and he did average 2.5 turnovers last year.

DRose an all-star this year? His main competition is Harris and Rondo. Maybe Sessions if he ends up in NY.

Now that Andre Miller has signed on as the Portland Trail Blazers' point guard, it can be voiced officially that for the 2009-10 season, the Chicago Bulls are over.

Not over in terms of not making the playoffs or playing better than .500, but over in the fact that they will not build upon what we saw in them at the end of that seven-game playoff classic against the Boston Celtics this past postseason.

[+] Enlarge
Melissa Majchrzak/Getty ImagesCarlos Boozer has what the Bulls need, but not what they want.
The hope for being one of the elite East teams is what's over. The hope of battling the Orlandos, Clevelands and Bostons for supremacy is over. The hope of playing in the Eastern Conference finals … over.
Now, I know you are asking: How does all this connect with Miller? And what in the hell does Portland have to do with what's happening with the immediate future of the Bulls?

Well, if you had been following the Bulls' summer saga, you'd know that to make up for the loss of Ben Gordon, the Bulls set out to do two things: get a player with Gordon's cojones in the clutch and get someone who could make up for the total number of points lost without Gordon in the lineup.

Part one of the plan was executed when the Bulls signed Jannero Pargo to take the shots that no one else on the team has the nerve to take, but it's part two that fell apart like the movie version of "Watchmen." In a three-team deal, the Bulls were supposed to send Kirk Hinrich to the Blazers and Tyrus Thomas to Utah, and in return they were to receive Carlos Boozer.

It was one of those perfect deals. One of those in which all teams would get what they needed and every team could make a "come up" if it were fulfilled. Boozer's numbers (17 points and 10 rebounds per game in his career, closer to 20 and 12 when healthy) would have made him the perfect fill-in-the-gap scorer to compensate for the loss of BG. The Jazz finally would get a young, athletic player to run the floor with Deron Williams and someone to complement newly re-signed Paul Millsap. And the Blazers would get a legit point guard they could build on as a duo in the backcourt with the perennial all-world Brandon Roy. It was as perfect as a deal could get for all three teams involved.

On July 11, according to a report from the Chicago Sun-Times, the deal was shot down. Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard went so far as to say the deal was "not going to happen." But with the knowledge that the Blazers were still in an almost desperate search for a point guard, hope remained that Bulls management would divorce itself from its (justified) love affair with Hinrich.

But somehow, as it seems of all the other major deals the Bulls could have been part of, the deal fell through. Or, better said, it was a deal that never materialized. Or, even better said, it was a deal that probably was bull from the beginning, and the initial information put out that the deal even had legs is now suspect.

With Hinrich-to-Portland as the linchpin to the deal, the minute Miller became the point guard for the Blazers, the pin was pulled, and BOOM! Even two weeks after they said the deal was dead, there was still hope. On July 24, hope lost its audacity.

[+] Enlarge
David Liam Kyle/Getty ImagesJim Paxson's history with Boozer may have played a role in the collapse of the deal.
We've seen this all before. A trade that was supposed to go down to make the Bulls elite. The rumors -- rumors the Bulls never denied or publicly put an end to -- never amounted to a trade for Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol or Jermaine O'Neal. And rumors about Kobe Bryant were very true, but apparently, because of the Bulls' reluctance to part with Luol Deng … the trade never materialized.
Now comes the nonmaterialization of Boozer. The one who could have made the city forget (and forgive) all the others that never happened. But just like those before him, Boozer won't be here, either.

Now, in reality, the chances Boozer would come to Chicago were shaky. A stretch. Because above the "need" to hold on to Hinrich now that Gordon is gone lingered the fact that during the offseason of 2004, Boozer pulled back on a $27 million handshake deal with the Cavaliers to go to Utah. At the time, Bulls GM John Paxson's brother Jim was Cleveland's GM. To think that this didn't play some role (even a minute one) in the deal's failure to jump off would be next to ignorant. And no one could blame Paxson if he still held that against Boozer. Blood is thicker than any $50 million contract.

(Worth noting: Boozer and then-agent Rob Pelinka came out of that deal looking like traitors and Boozer more than his agent as a person who cannot be trusted in times of negotiation. This also could be playing a subliminal role in why Boozer hasn't been dealt yet, even to the team he publicly acknowledged is his first choice to sign with, the Miami Heat.)

That said, an issue remains unanswered about how serious the Bulls are in landing someone to fill the void in part two of their scenario. Could they still land Boozer? Impossible is nothing. As long as he remains unsigned, there's always a chance. But "nothing" seems to be a pattern the Bulls have established throughout the years when it comes to landing big-name players (Ben Wallace is the exception, but we all saw how that worked out) who could put the franchise over the hump and back into the contention conversation.

You'd think with the way they ended the season, the Bulls would be eager, aggressive and realistic in their pursuit of someone to replace the 20 points per game in the starting lineup they just lost instead of hoping to do it by committee or by waiting for the 2010 free-agent sweepstakes. Never thought the Bears would be the team showing them how it's supposed to be done.

Before this summer ends, the Bulls need to take a page from the Monsters. They need to go out and make their own version of the Jay Cutler deal become a reality. Because if they don't, Chicago will soon make the Bulls realize -- even if for only next season -- we can smell bull a mile away.

Scoop Jackson is a columnist for ESPN.com.

Scoop hits it right on the head, i just hate the fact that we never make a serious run at anyone. Im not very optimistic about next summer and im also veryinterested to see how we play on the circus road trip. Rose has to really be the team leader next year. With the salary cap lowering over the next couple ofyears we really have to show some potential to attract some big FA next year, Reinsdorf cant just be cheap and expect to win. If we dont get anyone big nextyear i will not be suprised one bit

Originally Posted by grusumm18

good points...except that lou held up the kobe trade...

w/o lou, kobe doesnt sign off...
yea i understand that but im just sick of us not ever getting any big time players. When the clear best player in the NBA (at that time) wants tocome to your team you do whatever you can to get him, i would have liked to see us try to throw some draft picks or Noc to try to get that deal done. We arealways so quick to back away from deals its upsetting. We have had chances at Pau, KG, and Kobe in three consecutive years and came away with nothing.

Back
Top Bottom