Official Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from Community) Thread - Signs multiyear deal w/ Amazon and opts out of FX partnership

I love funk music from GAP band, Ohio Players, Prince, EW&F, Cameo, Commodores, Lakeside to Parliament , etc. and dude is actually putting out quality funk. I never gave his rap a listen so it's not difficult for me to get into his new stuff.

Rap can't be mature and refined though?
Okay I'll play. Going off your sig you like Hov. I don't always want to hear this dude Hov rap about Basquiat or how he came up off a couple bricks over a decade ago. Jay Z can rap but I'm not always trying to hear that.

I like rap but I also like r&b. This isn't a black and white thing. You can like Prince and D'Angelo and still ride with Jay Z and Pusha T. Granted I'm not always trying to listen to this genre of music CG is making it still sounds ******* great. Riding out at night with my girl with a smooth r&b track playing, or just sitting in the crib smoking a L with some Erykah playing in unmatched. 

Point being music is bigger than rap. Pizza is my favorite food but I for sure am not trying to eat that ish every night.

Hearing Anti slander this stuff is so annoying to me because it's akin to the rap fans who say if you like X you can't like Y. Like you can't listen to Big Krit AND like 21 Savage. It just makes no sense to me. 

Last edited:
That's fair. My thing is that's all I'm trying to hear ever. Which is why this doesn't sit well with me.

Two amazing tracks to debut. If the rest of the album is on the level of these two releases :smokin

loving the evolution

Anti, were you feeling Kauai?
Not really. STN MTN though....
Didnt really like Kauai either.

My favorite Gambino era was when he was rapping over indy songs. But if this ***** brings funk back for this album I'm all in.
Same here, I Am Just a Rapper and Culdesac were my favorite releases from her. I'm cool with his evolution, do what you want to do as an artist, but I'd probably choose him to stay in the earlier direction than the new one.

Having said that, I've liked the new tracks we've heard, I liked his last album.. I just like him as an artist so while it might not be my 100% preferred sound, he does it well, I still enjoy it, and I'll still support it.

Thought Kauai was great, but these last two tracks sound incredible so far. I need this project now, can't stop playing Redbone.

Redbone is absolutely amazing. Someone needs to point me in the direction of similar sounding stuff.

Always been a hip hop & rock kinda guy although soul & funk always interested me too. Just dont know where to start in them genres tho :/

Redbone really made me dig back to some Bootsy, Parliament and Funkadelic.

Amazing music. Didn't realize how dope Bootsy was.

sorry folks, I'm with Antidope on this one.

I was such a massive Childish Gambino fan - Culdesac, Camp, EP - are AMAZING. That was the Childish I loved, and then he started changing and experimenting, which is all well and good but to me, it all went down hill after EP. I haven't liked a single project since, and have barely been able to tolerate the songs he's made since those 3 projects. Good for him for evolving and trying new things, just not for me.

Royalty and Because the Internet were good to me but this new stuff is trash.

Last edited:
So thats really CG doin the vocals on redbone and me and yo momma?

Never listened to dudes musif but atlanta got me on it.

Whats his best album?

Last edited:
Redbone might be one of my fav songs from Bino, and that's saying a lot  
pimp.gif

Redbone is absolutely amazing. Someone needs to point me in the direction of similar sounding stuff.

Always been a hip hop & rock kinda guy although soul & funk always interested me too. Just dont know where to start in them genres tho :/
I just stumbled upon this thread, Big Gambino fan.      But there is a hiphop artist named Gilbere Forte that I really liked, lots of different sounds and tones of music, but now he went MIA for a good while, up until last year which he said he starting a hybrid band, which was rock/hiphop  Named HUNTR with a self-titled cd that just recently released. I enjoyed it being a fan of Gilbere Forte. 

redbone is amazing, i hope the whole album has the same vibe.. i love it
He recently said that the album is inspired of his childhood, where his father played that genre of music, and he felt inspired to do an album like that genre. 

I really like putting random on my phone when i click on Gambino discography, never know what will come up, everything from chill Les to Crawl to Redbone.

Why does that vinyl have to be 77 dollars after shipping [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]

Back
Top Bottom