Official Cooking Steak Thread

A+ thread. I tried cooking it just like the steak your claim video from good eats. Cooked it to perfection but skimped out a bit on salt and pepper. This thread is pure motivation.

retail-beef-cuts1.jpg

any of you guys ever mess with filet mingon? i always think about picking up a piece every time im at the store, but the price-per-amount-of-meat keeps me from getting it. i usually just go with ny strip or t-bone if im feeling fancy 

Filet is incredibly tender but it lacks the marbling i like. I always hover towards the Ribeye for more fatty content

Last edited:
Grass-fed New Yawker($18/lb! 
sick.gif
) from earlier tonight. 

Seasoned with salt/pepper and cooked in my new cast-iron skillet(Lodge-$23). Forgot to buy butter so used peanut oil instead, and cooked some garlic in the pan before introducing the meat.

As you can see I may have overcooked it a little(for my liking), I was really concerned with getting the perfect crust and that made it a touch difficult to judge how far along it was internally.

Overall still delicious, but I think I'll do better next time. I'm a novice!

Seared the outside of some steaks in my cast-iron skillet with the stove on medium/high, then put them in the oven.

Made my apartment so smoky. (The stove)

Last edited:
gordon ramsey taught me

I never knew how to cook steak, one day I got curious and looked it up on youtube.

In honor of this thing
View media item 775512
Finally shipping I think I'm going to break it in with some nice Prime steaks. It should be in on Monday so now I can just think about what cut to get and what cheese/wine to pair with my steak.

Bros, I tried out this new cooking method yesterday.

I buy steaks at Costco (4 pieces of ribeye in a package) and I freeze them

I saw this article from New York Times that you can actually cook frozen steak without having to defrost it :wow:
All you have to do is sear the sides to get a good crust, season during the searing process. (3 min on each side on High Heat)
Set your oven to 200 deg and put your steak in for around 1 hr for a nice medium rare finish.

I gave it a try yesterday and boy were the results fantastic!!

i think im done with my steak bros... i loved well done but i think its time for a change and let me tell you why... my parents cooked some well done steak and it wasnt as good as usual... that joint was tough and needed mad a1 and was just too chewy for my liking and the juices were none existent... its a shame because we had cooked some rib eye steaks too.... i think im a go with medium for now on

Bros, I tried out this new cooking method yesterday.

I buy steaks at Costco (4 pieces of ribeye in a package) and I freeze them

I saw this article from New York Times that you can actually cook frozen steak without having to defrost it :wow:
All you have to do is sear the sides to get a good crust, season during the searing process. (3 min on each side on High Heat)
Set your oven to 200 deg and put your steak in for around 1 hr for a nice medium rare finish.

I gave it a try yesterday and boy were the results fantastic!!

I don't freeze steaks but a good tip I got from America's test kitchen was to pat them dry and then put them in the freezer for 20 minutes or so - that way they can take a high heat and get a good sear without overdoing it.

i think im done with my steak bros... i loved well done but i think its time for a change and let me tell you why... my parents cooked some well done steak and it wasnt as good as usual... that joint was tough and needed mad a1 and was just too chewy for my liking and the juices were none existent... its a shame because we had cooked some rib eye steaks too.... i think im a go with medium for now on

View media item 775586
We welcome you with open arms.

more butter.
laugh.gif
seriously though. Like a 1/3 stick?
like seriously, 9/3 a stick.

paula dean ain't got **** on me
Was going to quote you and say "Calm down there, Paula," but I see you've already got that base covered. 
laugh.gif

Swear to god, chick be starting off on water boiling lessons like "OK, first we're gonna grab a nice saucepan, y'all, and let's just throw a stick of butter in there."

Like... for boiling water?! 
laugh.gif

My favorite to grill are Ribeyes. Bone in preferred but a nice ribeye does the job. Costco is a great place to grab steaks, but sometimes you just want a nice dry-aged steak or some grass-fed meat. I have a couple local Meat Markets where I can grab some really nice steaks when I need to. With Dry Aged, I only put a little sea salt on it and grill. Rare-Medium Rare is the only way I grill mine. When I get Costco steaks or just regular non-aged steaks I usually just throw on a dry rub. Montreal seasoning isn't bad but I usually make my own dry rub. Simple, quick, and easy. Been experimenting with coffee rubs lately, and they're pretty good.

As far as grilling goes, I always use the Charcoal grill. Not a fan of Propane or Cast Iron as much. Throw in some Mesquite or Hickory wood chunks along with Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal and the fire/flavor is perfect. I'll have to snap some pics of my steaks next time I grill. Didn't know this thread existed. 

I like my steaks on the juicer side but that just looks OD rare to me... IMO if you can actually see blood dripping and taste the flavor of it on the steak then there is a problem. :smh:

I agree with you that it's a little underdone - I would like a little more sear which would a little color inside too.

Anyway, no matter how rare a steak there's no blood. That's juice - it's just happens to be clear/pink because the meat is. If it was blood you could wring out a raw steak.

What dry rubs from scratch have you guys been experimenting with.

I been using:

Sea salt
Garlic powder
Rosemary
Thyme
Fresh ground black pepper
Paprika
Cayenne pepper (to taste preference. Can get overpowering spicy)

Been experimenting with dark roast coffee grounds too. Gives it a very full and hearty flavor I like. My girl likes to make chimichurri when I use coffee grounds and it's a pretty complimentary flavor.

im a boneless ribeye guy because i find bones to be obstacles to my devouring of the steak :lol: but do you guys find differences in taste or cook/prep between boneless and bone-in?

Back
Top Bottom